Elon Musk | Doer of things on X and complete loser

1) Are you kidding me? Who wouldn't want to do just that? The high speed rail in california is a complete farce which is why you'd want to look for other solutions in the first place - they've spent trillions on something that doesn't work and is yet to be build. It's all dying in regulations and in incompetence.

I'm just going to address the bold since this is partly true. First, its not "dying", Newsom already killed it (the original concept, though he is still completing a pointless part of it tbh). The original idea was a good one: a high speed rail between Los Angeles and San Francisco with talk that it would be non-fossil fuel burning like a mag-lev train. A mag-lev direct between LA and SF would have been fantastic and a great economic decision in the long term since there is so much business, pleasure, and tourism by car and plane traffic between the cities.

However, Jerry Brown (Moonbeam not his dad) completely screwed up a good idea into a money sink and a boondoggle. Brown made the decision to not go with mag-lev and use fossil fuels which ruined the entire long term benefit. Then to complete make it worthless, instead of direct between LA and SF Brown made some decision to have it running through the central valley and supposed making stops in other towns like Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield and more which completely kills the actual "high speed" part. He threw out the initial research on what would have made the project successful and implemented this broken version most likely solely designed to enrich his allies and donors in some way. So yeah, Newsom basically killed Brown's concept and the entire state has been paying the price for Brown's atrocious boondoggle.

Elon had nothing to do with killing it though.

Last edited:
I'm just going to address the bold since this is partly true. First, its not "dying", Newsom already killed it (the original concept, though he is still completing a pointless part of it tbh). The original idea was a good one: a high speed rail between Los Angeles and San Francisco with talk that it would be non-fossil fuel burning like a mag-lev train. A mag-lev direct between LA and SF would have been fantastic and a great economic decision in the long term since there is so much business, pleasure, and tourism by car and plane traffic between the cities.

However, Jerry Brown (Moonbeam not his dad) completely screwed up a good idea into a money sink and a boondoggle. Brown made the decision to not go with mag-lev and use fossil fuels which ruined the entire long term benefit. Then to complete make it worthless, instead of direct between LA and SF Brown made some decision to have it running through the central valley and supposed making stops in other towns like Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield and more which completely kills the actual "high speed" part. He threw out the initial research on what would have made the project successful and implemented this broken version most likely solely designed to enrich his allies and donors in some way. So yeah, Newsom basically killed Brown's concept and the entire state has been paying the price for Brown's atrocious boondoggle.

Elon had nothing to do with killing it though.
Surely society needs to get back to torches and pitchforks for these people.

Okay. Deliver me the facts, stats and the holy truth then. Or is it mostly just a feeling-argument?

As folks in your circles would say “Do your research”

I’ve quit Twitter to avoid Elon Musk and all he’s unleashed on what was already a pretty toxic right site. I’m sure as hell not going to go digging around fact checking for one of his bestest boys on here.

Go well.

I mean roflution is definitely redpilled here, but it's not wrong to say that Tesla facilitated a landslide shift in the viability of electric cars in the eyes of the consumer. And musk played a big part in that.

Without tesla, I reckon the traditional manufacturers would be a decade behind where they are now in their development.

SpaceX was a genuinely visionary project and the entrepreneurial aspect also deserves recognition. It's putting a lot of money into something many never saw making money and that spent its first years blowing up stuff and calling it progress.

Self driving cars is the future that needs to happen and musk is also the main entrepreneurial accelerator on this, even if he lies and deceives about their progress and number of accidents.

Everything else roflution's said is BS though. Blaming the media when Musk is his own main channel of dissemination on twitter for all his racism and "eat the poor" capitalism. Give me a fecking break.

I mean roflution is definitely redpilled here, but it's not wrong to say that Tesla facilitated a landslide shift in the viability of electric cars in the eyes of the consumer. And musk played a big part in that.

Without tesla, I reckon the traditional manufacturers would be a decade behind where they are now in their development.

SpaceX was a genuinely visionary project and the entrepreneurial aspect also deserves recognition. It's putting a lot of money into something many never saw making money and that spent its first years blowing up stuff and calling it progress.

Self driving cars is the future that needs to happen and musk is also the main entrepreneurial accelerator on this, even if he lies and deceives about their progress and number of accidents.

Everything else roflution's said is BS though. Blaming the media when Musk is his own main channel of dissemination on twitter for all his racism and "eat the poor" capitalism. Give me a fecking break.

It’s the fellas abject lack of understanding as to the ‘Why’ at every turn.

Musks marketing inputs to Electric Cars and the reigniting of an interest in Space were genuinely gigantic. Both those industries have leaped forward in development.

But the framing of them as being anything other than him wanting to become the Billionairest Billionaire and accumulate power, is for the birds.

The big wild swings from a guy that was Lionised by the media, did all of the heavy lifting. He sold the biggest visions, as all market creators do. He trumpeted ‘People will stop diving and the world will be a safer place’ and ‘We need to become an interplanetary species’.

For a sliver of time, he was cool. This market disrupter that said the biggest thing and while people knew little about him, he looked like a good guy.

But he’s doing all of this shit under full scrutiny now. He seeks to abolish workers rights, literally treats humans as disposable economy drones. He supports fascists. He tears away at the fabric of society, pushing the elastic threads that keep social cohesion to their limits, then pushes further. Mainly because if he breaks them, he wins.

He’ll take billions in government handouts while tearing apart systems baked into governance that protects actual humans.

He wants money and power and doesn’t give a feck about anyone. To even suggest that he’ll be regarded as one of the most important men of our time is utterly insane. He’s already at a net negative and is only trending in one direction.

His management of Twitter is doing all of the necessary groundwork for Fascism to flourish. To the point that he’s making the word Fascism feel diluted. The fella is cartoon villain evil. To believe that you can give him a hall pass because he’s made cars and rockets is proper kids in the playground stuff. Cars. And Rockets.

To top it all off, he’s humourless, and built like everyone’s shlubbiest uncle. Ghastly fella.

It’s the fellas abject lack of understanding as to the ‘Why’ at every turn.

Musks marketing inputs to Electric Cars and the reigniting of an interest in Space were genuinely gigantic. Both those industries have leaped forward in development.

But the framing of them as being anything other than him wanting to become the Billionairest Billionaire and accumulate power, is for the birds.

The big wild swings from a guy that was Lionised by the media, did all of the heavy lifting. He sold the biggest visions, as all market creators do. He trumpeted ‘People will stop diving and the world will be a safer place’ and ‘We need to become an interplanetary species’.

For a sliver of time, he was cool. This market disrupter that said the biggest thing and while people knew little about him, he looked like a good guy.

But he’s doing all of this shit under full scrutiny now. He seeks to abolish workers rights, literally treats humans as disposable economy drones. He supports fascists. He tears away at the fabric of society, pushing the elastic threads that keep social cohesion to their limits, then pushes further. Mainly because if he breaks them, he wins.

He’ll take billions in government handouts while tearing apart systems baked into governance that protects actual humans.

He wants money and power and doesn’t give a feck about anyone. To even suggest that he’ll be regarded as one of the most important men of our time is utterly insane. He’s already at a net negative and is only trending in one direction.

His management of Twitter is doing all of the necessary groundwork for Fascism to flourish. To the point that he’s making the word Fascism feel diluted. The fella is cartoon villain evil. To believe that you can give him a hall pass because he’s made cars and rockets is proper kids in the playground stuff. Cars. And Rockets.

To top it all off, he’s humourless, and built like everyone’s shlubbiest uncle. Ghastly fella.
Well said!

I dunno, 20 years ago nobody thought the road to riches was starting your own private rocket company and investing in electric cars. More like guaranteed ways to lose money. Madness at the time, visionary now.

I dunno, 20 years ago nobody thought the road to riches was starting your own private rocket company and investing in electric cars. More like guaranteed ways to lose money. Madness at the time, visionary now.
Yeah, I think it’s been less about personal enrichment and more about wanting to be seen as a great hero and visionary. I think Sam Altman said it well: “Elon desperately wants the world to be saved. But only if he can be the one to save it.”

Part of me believes it's more evidence that he's fundamentally a man child: "how awesome are cars and rockets?!?! THAT'S what I want to do!!" Obviously that's extremely reductionist but I do think that the little (probably bullied) boy inside Elon has had WAY more influence over his subsequent choices and behavior than he'd care to admit.

He's obviously a very smart, very canny man - it's tough to become the richest person in the world otherwise - but he's also a self-interested, deluded sociopath with a whole host of chips on his shoulder. The world would be a better place if he were to shuffle off it.

@ROFLUTION , while I do not work anymore in autonomous driving, I still know lots of people there. Tesla is nowhere near the leader in the field, same as it has never been.

They had lots of cars with cameras on the road, which would have given them an advantage, and at some stage they decided to ditch MobileEye for their in house product lead by the incredible Andrej Karpathy (whom they recruited from OpenAI), but they were never able to reach Cruise/ArgoAI level, let alone that of Waymo (Alphabet company). Just because they bend regulations, that does not mean that their product is any good (it really isn’t).

Autonomous driving is the new fission, being always 2 years away. Or at least it was so until 2019, but since then no one serious in the field would say that autonomous driving is 5 years, let alone 2 years away. And there is a new belief that solving Autonomous driving is probably going to be as difficult as solving AGI, or at the very least incredibly difficult. When it will eventually get solved, if it ever will, almost certainly it won’t be from Tesla. Several companies are way ahead of them in this race, at most I would give Tesla a 5% chance of winning the race.

@ROFLUTION , while I do not work anymore in autonomous driving, I still know lots of people there. Tesla is nowhere near the leader in the field, same as it has never been.

They had lots of cars with cameras on the road, which would have given them an advantage, and at some stage they decided to ditch MobileEye for their in house product lead by the incredible Andrej Karpathy (whom they recruited from OpenAI), but they were never able to reach Cruise/ArgoAI level, let alone that of Waymo (Alphabet company). Just because they bend regulations, that does not mean that their product is any good (it really isn’t).

Autonomous driving is the new fission, being always 2 years away. Or at least it was so until 2019, but since then no one serious in the field would say that autonomous driving is 5 years, let alone 2 years away. And there is a new belief that solving Autonomous driving is probably going to be as difficult as solving AGI, or at the very least incredibly difficult. When it will eventually get solved, if it ever will, almost certainly it won’t be from Tesla. Several companies are way ahead of them in this race, at most I would give Tesla a 5% chance of winning the race.
Following this everyday, and heard all the arguments from Tesla’s “rivals” before. (Rivalry is a good thing). Cheers for summing them up. Fully autonomous driving is definitely not a sure thing for Tesla neither, but independent stats like the community FSD tracker show their current FSD is currently a better driver than the average human driver and/or close to surpassing it. (Evolves slowly, but evolves every 2 months). On that note, yes, robotaxis might be years, if not many years away as the hard part to crack comes from either achieving AGI in the system or for just trying out new versions of FSD / finding/feeding the neural network with data. The whole neural network part is often what I don’t think many understands.

Cruise has had a bad reputation since their fatal PR damaging crash, and in general is seen as no big player these days. It’s currently Waymo vs Tesla to get there and Waymo works in certain areas, while not being truly autonomous. Behind it all Waymos are supervised by people too / teleoperated when needed.

It’s no doubt a great thing that Wayno “pioneers” in this area, but when looking closely Waymo is still not fully autonomous and their cars are expensive to produce. From a cost-efficient perspective, Tesla currently has a way more scalable solution as they’ll be able to just offer very lower ride costs than Waymo when they launch a similar ride-offer based on neural networks instead of a hard coded solution like Wayno currently runs on.

I think you might disagree with me on where Tesla currently is with FSD, but give it a year or two and I think it’s more clear when Tesla has rolled out their robotaxi network more (pilot states Texas and California in 2025).

Edit: I think I should note too, that it's great that Waymo has come out early to use this technology too. It paves the way for regulations in that regard. On the surface Waymo looks ahead right now, but long term we're yet to see their hardcoded supervised solution being scalable. We are with Tesla too, but their overall low costs of producing the Cybercab vehicle at least looks extremely scalable.

Following this everyday, and heard all the arguments from Tesla’s “rivals” before. (Rivalry is a good thing). Cheers for summing them up. Fully autonomous driving is definitely not a sure thing for Tesla neither, but independent stats like the community FSD tracker show their current FSD is currently a better driver than the average human driver and/or close to surpassing it. (Evolves slowly, but evolves every 2 months). On that note, yes, robotaxis might be years, if not many years away as the hard part to crack comes from either achieving AGI in the system or for just trying out new versions of FSD / finding/feeding the neural network with data. The whole neural network part is often what I don’t think many understands.

Cruise has had a bad reputation since their fatal PR damaging crash, and in general is seen as no big player these days. It’s currently Waymo vs Tesla to get there and Waymo works in certain areas, while not being truly autonomous. Behind it all Waymos are supervised by people too / teleoperated when needed.

It’s no doubt a great thing that Wayno “pioneers” in this area, but when looking closely Waymo is still not fully autonomous and their cars are expensive to produce. From a cost-efficient perspective, Tesla currently has a way more scalable solution as they’ll be able to just offer very lower ride costs than Waymo when they launch a similar ride-offer based on neural networks instead of a hard coded solution like Wayno currently runs on.

I think you might disagree with me on where Tesla currently is with FSD, but give it a year or two and I think it’s more clear when Tesla has rolled out their robotaxi network more (pilot states Texas and California in 2025).

Edit: I think I should note too, that it's great that Waymo has come out early to use this technology too. It paves the way for regulations in that regard. On the surface Waymo looks ahead right now, but long term we're yet to see their hardcoded supervised solution being scalable. We are with Tesla too, but their overall low costs of producing the Cybercab vehicle at least looks extremely scalable.
Yeah, Cruise reputation took a hit after that accident, and I do not think they are particularly doing financially well. Which might be their downfall, same as it was for ArgoAI who had the best technology next to Waymo and Cruise, but went bankrupt cause it is an industry that drains money without getting much revenue. But then Tesla has had fatal accidents too, just that Elon does not care too much about regulation. Which while scummy, might help them long term.

To be fair, there are other important players in the field. Zoox is doing alright, same for Wayve, but like the others both might struggle financially in a couple of years, while Tesla and especially Waymo have almost unlimited resources.

I still think this race is Waymo’s to be lost. And to be fair, despite leading for the entire time, never underestimate Google’s ability to feck things up (just look at Google Brain + DeepMind + Google research losing against OpenAI, Anthropocene and probably even Meta in LLM space).

Based on what? Their 30k per taxi estimation?
Do you drive around in your 39k (I think that was the original "launch" price?) Cybertruck?

Yeah, Cruise reputation took a hit after that accident, and I do not think they are particularly doing financially well. Which might be their downfall, same as it was for ArgoAI who had the best technology next to Waymo and Cruise, but went bankrupt cause it is an industry that drains money without getting much revenue. But then Tesla has had fatal accidents too, just that Elon does not care too much about regulation. Which while scummy, might help them long term.

To be fair, there are other important players in the field. Zoox is doing alright, same for Wayve, but like the others both might struggle financially in a couple of years, while Tesla and especially Waymo have almost unlimited resources.

I still think this race is Waymo’s to be lost. And to be fair, despite leading for the entire time, never underestimate Google’s ability to feck things up (just look at Google Brain + DeepMind + Google research losing against OpenAI, Anthropocene and probably even Meta in LLM space).
Yeah, that's a fair assessment. It's just not economically viable for many companies - for good reasons - Waymo will be struggling for this reason too. It costs something to have a guy in a room supervising 2-3 Waymo's at a time ready to take over. It will too for Tesla if they go down this path.

Every casualty is of course tragic, and for a while when Tesla rolled out FSD I'd say you're right that not every regulation was a big priority for Tesla. There was a slight concern, and NHTSA basically said Tesla needed to abide by certain regulations. Before those were implemented, you could do hacks on how to get around having your eyes on the road with Supervised FSD by placing your phone under the wheel or whatever.

These hacks are now completely gone, and you now get a warning everytime you take your eyes off the road while on FSD. It alerts you if you even if you looks 2-3 seconds on the screen (which it should). So overall there's much more attention to driving now, after FSD being misused by many earlier. Tesla even fixed FSD so you can be able to wear sunglasses while driving (same attentiveness is needed as without sunglasses and you get an instant warning too when looking elsewhere than on the road).

Interesting article by Ben Thompson on SpaceX (which I agree with) and Tesla self driving (which I hadn't considered) here, if you are into these things.

Imagine if he wins Nobel Price for Physics, some posters from this thread might need to go on suicide watch. Already precedent on it with Demis Hassabis winning the one in Chemistry this year for Deepmind's work in protein folding.

This is some extremely high grade wind-up. Not even the guy who said Musk is the new da Vinci thinks he's going to win a Nobel Prize. It's not within the realm of possibility. If the multiverse is true, there still isn't one where Elon Musk wins a Nobel Prize in physics. I'm not sure the DeepMind guy is the best comparison either, given he's got an MA from Cambridge and a PhD from University College London in cognitive neuroscience, and is an actual scientist. Meanwhile Elon Musk might have a BA in physics, which doesn't make you any kind of scientist, and probably a BA in economics (which doesn't make you any kind of anything).

Anyway, it seems like (presumably) Firefox has listened to the requests from some in here that Twitter should be completely banned on the Caf. I am finally free (but also completely free of context to posts).

NntMomO.png

Very disingenuous to pretend that the only bad thing Elon does is “post dumb shit on X”. Colossal dick riding going on here.

Imagine if he released an ai robot in his likeness, that mimics his personality and vocal tones and had full biological functioning and you could program it to interact with you and it could live in my house and it was available at the consumer price point, I bet that would really upset his haters.

Imagine if he released an ai robot in his likeness, that mimics his personality and vocal tones and had full biological functioning and you could program it to interact with you and it could live in my house and it was available at the consumer price point, I bet that would really upset his haters.

full biological functioning? he would be humping any woman to make babies for the future of humanity

I was lucky enough to see a space shuttle launch, and the roadsides surrounding the launchpad were jammed with spectators for miles around. People love that stuff there, and rightly so IMO.

Definitely more riveting than that thrilling English pastime of watching trains roll by.

Yep, the good ol bastion of free speech our Elon. That's why he selectively bans outlets and accounts on twitter he doesn't agree with, while artificially bumping the traffic of accounts that spout pro Trump, often horrifically vile racial content instead. Not to mention propagating fake news himself (remember him retweeting the fake story about Keir Starmer locking away rioters in internment camps abroad?).

As for his businesses - almost all of them doing poorly. Twitter's stock price has nosedived since he took over and Tesla is also facing a similar trajectory. Real visionary.

See if he just stuck to the Tony Stark facade, kept his mouth shut, passed off the work of his companies as his own, and not indulged in race-baiting, far-right conspiracy nonsense while trying to get a convicted felon an fascist elected, then he could have carried on the facade of him being this brilliant visionary.

:lol::lol::lol:

For feck's sakes, even his harshest critics begrudgingly admit that Musk is a brilliant visionary entrepreneur with unparalleled business acuity, gifted at recognizing and harnessing transformative technologies. He has a remarkable talent for turning seemingly impossible ideas into thriving ventures—Tesla and SpaceX being prime examples.

As for Twitter, let’s not get too carried away with a few temporary hiccups. It’s worth remembering that Tesla faced endless skepticism in its early years before becoming a juggernaut, and SpaceX endured its share of early stumbles before revolutionizing space exploration. If history has taught us anything, it’s that Musk’s ventures—while occasionally messy at first—have a way of proving doubters wrong. Twitter, or rather X, is likely on the same trajectory toward long-term success.

For feck's sakes, even his harshest critics begrudgingly admit that Musk is a brilliant visionary entrepreneur with unparalleled business acuity, gifted at recognizing and harnessing transformative technologies. He has a remarkable talent for turning seemingly impossible ideas into thriving ventures—Tesla and SpaceX being prime examples.

As for Twitter, let’s not get too carried away with a few temporary hiccups. It’s worth remembering that Tesla faced endless skepticism in its early years before becoming a juggernaut, and SpaceX endured its share of early stumbles before revolutionizing space exploration. If history has taught us anything, it’s that Musk’s ventures—while occasionally messy at first—have a way of proving doubters wrong. Twitter, or rather X, is likely on the same trajectory toward long-term success.

Who are these "harshest critics" who say he's a "brilliant visionary entrepreneur with unparalleled business acuity" ?

Can you point me to all of the places that said that EV cars were a 'seemingly impossible idea'?