Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

2754909_full-lnd.jpg

Which ones are Dembele and Alli?
:lol:

The majority of recent posts directed at me in this thread claim things I've not actually said ... the typical strawman argument of the weak posters.

For record (and again):

1) Alli showed more potential last season than Pogba did at the same age (19). This is a true statement IMO.

2) Dembele was Spurs best CM last season. Pogba has played 2 games in the Prem against weak and (at home) middling opposition. Thus the claim that Pogba would walk into the Spurs side to replace Dembele is very far from being proven. Again, all true statements IMO.

He's only played one game so far this season, so you're wrong straight away!

I've previously cited the Alli stats, which back my opinion up. Look up Pogba's stats for goals and assists when he was aged 19 if you don't believe me.

Pogba can have a game where he doesn't assist or score, but look head and shoulders the best player on the park, as he did in his last appearance for us.

It's no surprise you have a very simplistic understanding of midfield play, and don't really get the nuance beyond numbers and statistics, but that's more failings in you than in Pogba.

You're a master of the art of false equivalances. Dembele being the best CM for Spurs means he was the best CM in a team that finished behind Leiceister and Arsenal, and went out of the EL in a pretty unglamarous manner(with the mighty Alli), and not much else.
Pogba proved his class on the highest level against teams like fecking Real Madrid, besides anyone sane with working eyes can see who of these two players is the better footballer. So spare us these inane hidden "But can he do it on a cold night in..." suggestions.
What's next? Would Messi have to prove he can challenge Kane for his spot?

Spurs fielded an incredibly weakened team in the EL, so your EL reference proves nothing. And as I've already said, why don't you wait for more than 2 games to elapse in the Prem before proclaiming Pogba to be this amazingly brilliiant player?

If Pogba plays as well as Dembele did for Spurs last season then he'll be doing very well ... but this remains to be seen.

Pogba can have a game where he doesn't assist or score, but look head and shoulders the best player on the park, as he did in his last appearance for us.

It's no surprise you have a very simplistic understanding of midfield play, and don't really get the nuance beyond numbers and statistics, but that's more failings in you than in Pogba.

I was asked for facts to back my opinion up. Now that I've referenced them, it turns out you don't like them ... go figure.

He's only played one game so far this season, so you're wrong straight away!

Then this simply underlines my point even more. Why don't you wait to see how Pogba actually fares in the Prem before proclaiming his brilliance?

I was asked for facts to back my opinion up. Now that I've referenced them, it turns out you don't like them ... go figure.

I didn't ask you for stats. Just highlighting that looking at goal and assist stats for a box-to-box midfielder is silly and shows a naive appreciation of the art of midfield.

They can completely control and dominate all facets of a match, as Pogba has been doing from a young age, without assisting or scoring. It doesn't mean they're lagging behind some 19 year old Attacking Midfielder who happens to score a bit more.

Of course the beauty of Pogba is that he can score and assist goals, hence him being top of assists in Serie A last season. But it's not what he's bought for.

Spurs fielded an incredibly weakened team in the EL, so your EL reference proves nothing.

As usual, the "we didn't care" excuse. Alli played, btw. Didn't set the world ablaze, though.

And as I've already said, why don't you wait for more than 2 games to elapse in the Prem before proclaiming Pogba to be this amazingly brilliiant player?

Because he has already shown it against better oppo then you can currently find on your league

If Pogba plays as well as Dembele did for Spurs last season then he'll be doing very well ... but this remains to be seen.

Did they play well enough to have someone remove the cobwebs on your trophy cupboard?

Dembele - 9 goals in 4 seasons for Spurs
Pogba -10 goals in last season for Juve

Using Glaston's logic, Pogba is thus better than Dembele. Case closed.

What on earth is this about?

@GlastonSpur would you turn down Neymar for Kane just because Neymar hasn't done it in the PL before?

To be fair, Kane's got 46 goals for Spurs in the league in the past two seasons. Neymar is clearly a superior player but could he get similar numbers in that Spurs side? I'd understand if a Spurs fan would prefer to keep Kane, as crazy as that sounds.

Hard league vs shite league.

That is an oxymoron my friend!

If you have to ask, you know the answer!

I'm guessing you accidentally lumped Rakitic (and maybe Vidal) in to the better than Pogba statement?
Same with Verrati and Kroos. These guys aren't better than Pogba . Since signing for United he bizzarely seem to get under rated for some odds reasons

I've previously cited the Alli stats, which back my opinion up. Look up Pogba's stats for goals and assists when he was aged 19 if you don't believe me.
You think Kane would be able to play for United over Rashford since Rashford was better than Kane when Kane was Rashford's age?

Same with Verrati and Kroos. These guys aren't better than Pogba . Since signing for United he bizzarely seem to get under rated for some odds reasons
I think they are to be honest. I really rate both of them. Especially Verratti who I think is the best young midfielder in the world. That's not to say that there is much between them though.

OK, Pogba was a key player in a piss poor league. Whilst Dembele was a key player in a far superior league. Go figure - and wait before more than 2 games have elapsed before giving Pogba the old "world class" and "far better than Dembele" routine.
Then your fellow Spurs fans think we are the ones who WUM you.

What is Glaston even trying to achieve here? Get people to be in awe of Tottenham's players? Calling Serie A (which has been a very real threat to England's fourth CL spot recently) piss poor is either delusional or a pathetic attempt to bend reality in order to support a very weak argument. Pogba has delivered at a level that most Spurs players never even managed to compete at, there is no burden of proof on him regarding his quality.

I didn't ask you for stats. Just highlighting that looking at goal and assist stats for a box-to-box midfielder is silly and shows a naive appreciation of the art of midfield.

They can completely control and dominate all facets of a match, as Pogba has been doing from a young age, without assisting or scoring. It doesn't mean they're lagging behind some 19 year old Attacking Midfielder who happens to score a bit more.

Of course the beauty of Pogba is that he can score and assist goals, hence him being top of assists in Serie A last season. But it's not what he's bought for.

You didn't ask me for stats, but the poster I was responding to did. Then you jumped in an criticised the fact that I had cited stats despite the fact that I had been asked for them ... which merely shows that you're looking for any excuse to butt in.

You didn't ask me for stats, but the poster I was responding to did. Then you jumped in an criticised the fact that I had cited stats despite the fact that I had been asked for them ... which merely shows that you're looking for any excuse to butt in.

My point was goals and assists are not a good way to judge the contribution of the box to box midfielder. Especially vs. an attacking midfielder.

It's a juvenile way to look at the game where goals and setting up goals is the only measure of a player, regardless of position.

But hardly surprising from you. The way you talk about stuff you clearly have no idea about is hilarious. You've watched Pogba no more than a handful of times, likely all in the last 3 months, and have absolutely no appreciation of what he was doing at 19. So you resort to some meaningless stats.

No I think they're marginally better right now. Pogba is only 23 to be fair to him.
Fair enough. Personally I'd only rate Kroos, modric and Iniesta ahead of him but given age I wouldn't take any over Pogba.
Veratti and Kross are tough ones for me. Fantastic players but so different. Honestly think either would make an excellent compliment to Pogba in a 4-3-3

My point was goals and assists are not a good way to judge the contribution of the box to box midfielder. Especially vs. an attacking midfielder.

It's a juvenile way to look at the game where goals and setting up goals is the only measure of a player, regardless of position.

But hardly surprising from you. The way you talk about stuff you clearly have no idea about is hilarious. You've watched Pogba no more than a handful of times, likely all in the last 3 months, and have absolutely no appreciation of what he was doing at 19. So you resort to some meaningless stats.

10 goals and 11 assists, aged 19, in his first season with Spurs, are meaningless? Okey-dokey. Let me know when Pogba gets 10 goals and 11 assists this season, aged 23.

10 goals and 11 assists, aged 19, in his first season with Spurs, are meaningless? Okey-dokey. Let me know when Pogba gets 10 goals and 11 assists this season, aged 23.
Righto then! Let us know when Spurs win a title again

So despite being told exactly why it's pointless to use goal and assist stats to judge a box to box midfielder (vs an attacking midfielder), you do just that in the very next post.

It's pathetic to use goal/assist stats as a crutch for your poor argument. Try watching matches instead and try to observe what midfielders do apart from goals. You probably didn't rate Patrick Vieira or Roy Keane either, who were fairly modest in the goals/assists department.

Pogba could go the whole season without scoring and it wouldn't matter so long as he was dominating every midfield he faced, and United continued winning games and competing for the league.

So I couldn't care less when Pogba hits those numbers.

Alli is very good, but I think I would prefer Barkley. Barkley has better passing and is more able to run past the opposition then Alli. Alli I think is better to read the game and move around. More clinical around the box. But if I was gonna chose to buy one of them I most likely chose Barkley.

So despite being told exactly why it's pointless to use goal and assist stats to judge a box to box midfielder (vs an attacking midfielder), you do just that in the very next post.

It's pathetic to use goal/assist stats as a crutch for your poor argument. Try watching matches instead and try to observe what midfielders do apart from goals. You probably didn't rate Patrick Vieira or Roy Keane either, who were fairly modest in the goals/assists department.

Pogba could go the whole season without scoring and it wouldn't matter so long as he was dominating every midfield he faced, and United continued winning games and competing for the league.

So I couldn't care less when Pogba hits those numbers.

What was Pogba doing in matches aged 19 that was so much better than Alli last season? And even that ignores the fact that Alli played both roles last season: box-to-box and AM.

Relevance to Alli at 19 compared to Pogba aged 19: zero.
We're broadening the discussion here to their influence. Pogba is a regular starter for club and country. While Alli appears to be a talent he doesn't compare to Pogba on those stats. If he hits those heights he won't even be at Spurs by the time he's 23 and Spurs know it

Alli is very good, but I think I would prefer Barkley. Barkley has better passing and is more able to run past the opposition then Alli. Alli I think is better to read the game and move around. More clinical around the box. But if I was gonna chose to buy one of them I most likely chose Barkley.
Also internationally Alli has shown that he still lacks maturity at that level. Barkley should have played at the Euros. Alli was poor