Declan Rice | Arsenal £105m player

I think this whole 'City wanted him too' stuff is a load of shite, as if City would have let him go for a ~10m difference if they legitimately wanted him.

I think it will be very interesting to see how he improves Arsenal as I really don't know how much I rate Rice. I think he does a job, bit like Keane used to, that doesn't get all the credit they deserve for the work they do - however Keane was regularly voted MOTM and has put in some legendary displays, yet I don't see that in Rice.

Perhaps playing for Arsenal and CL football will elevate him to the next level - looking forward to seeing how it works out.
Keane was a far better player than Rice, not a good comparison at all. Keane was a far superior passer who was more progressive and had better range, a much bigger goal threat from inside and outside the box and a player who elevated those around him. Yes, he did a lot of the dirty work, but was more than capable of grabbing the headlines himself on a regular basis.

It's not just the legendary displays that separate the two, but Keane's performances week in week out and his will to win. I'm sure learning his trade under Clough and Fergie instead of Moyes helped a bit in that regard.

He's an excellent player. This is the portion of his career where he now needs to show he is among the best in class. Doing that at West Ham was difficult. But at Arsenal he has good teammates and a good manager. We'll see.

I think this whole 'City wanted him too' stuff is a load of shite, as if City would have let him go for a ~10m difference if they legitimately wanted him.

Yeah teams regularly bid 90+ million on players they don't actually want.

I've read the first line and I'll leave the post there.

Of course he's been so shit that the top two teams in England were willing to spend 90+ million and 105 million on him. He was so shit that Bayern spent months trying to convince him to move to Germany. He was so shit that Chelsea were interested for well over a year, but once CL was unachievable they were ruled out by the player. Yes, so shit.

What laughable nonsense.
As a club as a whole I'm not sure our interest was ever THAT strong. Lampard and Potter did both want him but were overruled, the former was even (apparently) threatened with the sack if he kept insisting on him.

And above all else, I'm not convinced he was ever as keen on returning to us as popular opinion suggested.

As a club as a whole I'm not sure our interest was ever THAT strong. Lampard and Potter did both want him but were overruled, the former was even (apparently) threatened with the sack if he kept insisting on him.

And above all else, I'm not convinced he was ever as keen on returning to us as popular opinion suggested.

I would guess that once CL was ruled out, coupled with Mount deciding to leave, there was little chance he'd come back.

I would guess that once CL was ruled out, coupled with Mount deciding to leave, there was little chance he'd come back.
If he (or any player) makes a judgement on what could be six games then meh, especially when the likes of Enzo and Nkunku looked the other side for one year (no UCL was highly likely when both agreed to come). Likewise if Mount leaving was a factor, Thiago Silva came to us a year after we ruthlessly binned his best mate, footballers should be aware of the industry they're in.

I don't think it's either though, I think he joined you because as much as hate to say it you're in a good position to compete for his entire prime years, he even implied he would have joined you last year if it was possible despite no UCL.

Do teams regularly offer the same amount that was rejected previously?

City offered a better deal to West Ham than we did initially, with there being a different payment structure and larger fee compared to the incentives.

What's more likely - City bidding 90+ million despite not actually being interested? Or City bidding 90+ because they actually had some interest in the player? It's not a hard question but feel free to take as long as you need.

Then explain to me what the incentive is for City to have done the former.

Rice is a good move for Arsenal. In no way a spectacular signing but an effective one. One of the best in his position and those who can't read the game defensively can't see his impact and his best attribute being his positioning. If you listen to Rio on his channel he mentions that this was an underrated aspect about Carrick knowing where to stand to cut off opposition passing lanes.

What is most impressive about Arsenal is that they have signed players for strength in depth which is exactly what they needed as opposed to numerous first team changes. I have to applaud their hierarchy and leadership. Because it's the complete opposite of United this season.

When you assess the criteria for last seasons weaknesses the purchasing of Mount and Onana does little to make the team compete at the highest level. It seems even more nonsensical when this market has been predominantly ruled by midfield purchases which was one of United weaknesses for depth in that position. The whole waiting to sell a player before purchasing when this club historically has been bad at selling assets was always going to be a cause for disaster (KMJ).

City offered a better deal to West Ham than we did initially, with there being a different payment structure and larger fee compared to the incentives.

What's more likely - City bidding 90+ million despite not actually being interested? Or City bidding 90+ because they actually had some interest in the player? It's not a hard question but feel free to take as long as you need.

It was slightly better due to the timing of the payments, but that often doesn't matter.

With Alexis, Maguire, Fred among others, I’m convinced City actually play the silly cnut when they know another team wants a player much more than them. They’ve spent a decade breaking 115 + rules to give the impression they play fair and ”losing out” on players fits in perfectly with that.
If, like with Haaland, City really want a player, they get him 99 times out of 100.

They were posted in response to the claim Rice has been "shit for 18 months." What's more likely, a player that's shit is going to be at the top of those metrics or not? I think the answer is obvious.

Taking 30 + shit shots doesn’t prove anything to be fair, nor does 30+ shit hoofed clearances, hence why the stats are cherry picked to claim he’s the only player with 30+ in all of those metrics. Maybe another 50 players have 30+ in everything aside from taking way too many shit pot shots?

That’s discarding the obvious glaring issue of it having zero mention of how he compared in those metrics for minutes played.

Last edited:
What is most impressive about Arsenal is that they have signed players for strength in depth which is exactly what they needed as opposed to numerous first team changes. I have to applaud their hierarchy and leadership. Because it's the complete opposite of United this season.

When you assess the criteria for last seasons weaknesses the purchasing of Mount and Onana does little to make the team compete at the highest level. It seems even more nonsensical when this market has been predominantly ruled by midfield purchases which was one of United weaknesses for depth in that position. The whole waiting to sell a player before purchasing when this club historically has been bad at selling assets was always going to be a cause for disaster (KMJ).
This is exactly what I'm so pleased about. For so long it feels like we've been largely reactionary in the transfer market with no real squad planning. When Arteta arrived we were a disjointed squad full of aging and overpaid players past their prime. Players earning top dollar despite no CL for several years. We've rebuilt the squad and even though many (including myself) have questioned some of the transfers (eg White for £50mil, Ramsdale) he has not got much wrong so far. You can see how they all fit into his system. Rice feels like a key piece of the puzzle and if all goes well, our midfield spine of Rice/Odegaard could be set for years to come.

He is decent, but I don't think many Arsenal fans will think the 23/24 team is going to better the 2nd place finish of last season with Rice.

One good thing is the 105 million stays in the league.

With Alexis, Maguire, Fred among others, I’m convinced City actually play the silly cnut when they know another team wants a player much more than them. They’ve spent a decade breaking 115 + rules to give the impression they play fair and ”losing out” on players fits in perfectly with that.
If, like with Haaland, City really want a player, they get him 99 times out of 100.

Or, is it that they actually place a value on a player and don't want to go over it? Sensible management I know, as much as it pains many to accept it, but it's happened lots of times, and seems much more plausible than bidding for players they don't want to feck with others!

Arsenal signed a very good player. As per the Squawka graphic, it's a very formidable trio in the midfield, especially in terms of doing things with the ball. I believe that the people who think of him as someone who only screens the back-four will be surprised. I wanted him at United but we were a mess last season and we really had to go for Case, with whom i'm more than pleased. All the best to the lad, and to our resident Arsenal fans... enjoy him in your colours.

It was slightly better due to the timing of the payments, but that often doesn't matter.

It does matter to West Ham - they are not rich as other clubs and need that money quick.

The way City gave up on Kane shows that they do have a limit they go and spend on a player and they give up after not achieving it through their maximum.

He is decent, but I don't think many Arsenal fans will think the 23/24 team is going to better the 2nd place finish of last season with Rice.

One good thing is the 105 million stays in the league.

Hopefully £40 million of that stays in England too, specifically Manchester.

Yeah teams regularly bid 90+ million on players they don't actually want.
Caicedo had more competition. It's a valid point that none of the big dogs really went for him. You could say that he only wanted to join you, but that'd be weird considering there were many bigger clubs he could've gone.

Caicedo had more competition. It's a valid point that none of the big dogs really went for him. You could say that he only wanted to join you, but that'd be weird considering there were many bigger clubs he could've gone.

City actually bid for him. Utd and Liverpool couldn't afford him with other priorities. Bayern actively pursued him. Real were concentrating on Bellingham. Barca couldn't afford him either. Not much other options bar Chelsea and PSG.

Who's Chelsea's serious competition for Caceido?

"Arsenal MUST win trophies this year!!"

I don't think these people know the compliment they are paying us after years of (deservedly) not being taken seriously. Yes, we are a top team now and will be challenging for the biggest trophies for many years. Thank you.
If you think you shouldn’t after spending half a billion I’d question where exactly your ambition to be a big club is?

City also wanted Maguire, Sancho, Pogba, Fred etc. the difference is City play a brand of football that no one else does or can do due to Pep.

None of the big dogs went for him? What are you on about? City literally bid for Rice. Bayern tried for months to convince him to move to Germany and Chelsea were reportedly interested for over a year.

Caicedo has had two teams bid for him in January, both Chelsea and Arsenal. Who else had bid for Caicedo this current window aside from Chelsea? Is two bigger than one?

What is going on in this thread. It's like some people like in some alternative reality.

Or, is it that they actually place a value on a player and don't want to go over it? Sensible management I know

Aye, they have no problem paying every fecker double wages or spunking 100m on Grealish, but yeah, they’d let Rice go despite really wanting him for the sake of 10m.

I’d stick this one firmly in the Fred, Alexis, Maguire category of City actually not giving much of a feck about said player, as opposed to them going all out for those they desperately want and using as many financial tricks as possible to facilitate it.

Well he has not so far, and you cannot be sure of anything. Xhaka had an amazing season last season.
I think we were talking about Granit freaking Xhaka not Modric here.

If Xhaka was so great why would arsenal sell him for peanuts and why did no top club went for him? You're massively overrating Xhaka's level.

None of the big dogs went for him? What are you on about? City literally bid for Rice. Bayern tried for months to convince him to move to Germany

We absolutely don’t have confirmation City made a bid, the story felt very much like a leak from West Ham to try and push Arsenal into making a third bid.
The German stuff appears soley based on their new manager being a fan from his time in England. In reality you’re naive as feck if you think Bayern spent time attempting to convince someone to play for them who has a fee that wouldn’t go anywhere near.

If you think you shouldn’t after spending half a billion I’d question where exactly your ambition to be a big club is?

Will there be the same pressure on United to win trophies after you wrap up Onana and whoever else (Hjolund?), in which case United's spending would exceed Arsenal's from 2019 to date.

Of course there's pressure to do well, but there relative and realistically City are clearly the best team on the planet - as evidence by their recent Treble.

If Xhaka was so great why would arsenal sell him for peanuts and why did no top club went for him? You're massively overrating Xhaka's level.
His age and the fact he wanted to leave. Still remains that Rice has never had a season as good as the last season for Xhaka.

Arsenal fans really think Rice rejected every single team in the world just for them. Bless

We paid £35mil for Xhaka in 2016 and got £21.5mil from Leverkusen. Not bad for a 30yr old player who had a rocky time at Arsenal, to say the least. Glad he left on a high note though.

we absolutely don’t have confirmation City made a bid, and the German stuff appears soley based on their new manager being a fan from his time in England. In reality you’re naive as feck if you think Bayern spent time attempting to convince someone to play for them who has a fee that wouldn’t go anywhere near.

Except that we actually do know they bid given every agency and all the tier one reporters reported and confirmed that they did.

Or will you only believe it if you see the actual paperwork or something?

I wonder who is more reliable, the actual tier one reporters or Regulus Arturus Black's hunch based on his feelings.

Aye, they have no problem paying every fecker double wages or spunking 100m on Grealish, but yeah, they’d let Rice go despite really wanting him for the sake of 10m.

I’d stick this one firmly in the Fred, Alexis, Maguire category of City actually not giving much of a feck about said player, as opposed to them going all out for those they desperately want and using as many financial tricks as possible to facilitate it.

You're all over the place here . They put a value on a player, and don't want to overpay for that player. Grealish they knew the price, it was a release clause. Haaland they knew the price, it was a release clause. They wanted the likes of Cucurella and Jorginho, their clubs tried to get more money out them, City didn't want to go any higher and Chelsea paid the clubs what they were asking for.

It's the way City operate and have done for years, your example of Sanchez, Fred and Co confirms this, so not sure why you are arguing against it?

Except that we actually do know they bid given every agency and all the tier one reporters reported and confirmed that they did.

Or will you only believe it if you see the actual paperwork or something?

I wonder who is more reliable, the actual tier one reporters or Regulus Arturus Black's hunch based on his feelings.

okay mate, everything that is everything that is leaked a Telegraph reporter is definitely true, especially when it comes to transfer and a club attempting to push up a fee. Keep being that naive.
Let’s all pretend they wanted McGuire, Fred and Alexis too as it was also widely reported.

You're all over the place here . They put a value on a player, and don't want to overpay for that player. Grealish they knew the price, it was a release clause. Haaland they knew the price, it was a release clause. They wanted the likes of Cucurella and Jorginho, their clubs tried to get more money out them, City didn't want to go any higher and Chelsea paid the clubs what they were asking for.

It's the way City operate and have done for years, your example of Sanchez, Fred and Co confirms this, so not sure why you are arguing against it?

City have broken 115 rules regarding financial Fairplay, we know from the German press leaks that they were actually paying people off the books teo separate wages. Do I believe that same club is financially savvy and actually says no if they think someone is too expensive by 10m? No do I feck