Declan Rice | Arsenal £105m player

They are but ultimately if you held two 2 goals leads and beat the bottom side at home there's nothing City and Haaland's record breaking could have done.

Agree, it's a discussion for a different thread but we caved at the end of the season. Players were getting burned out and losing Saliba in particular (missed 12 games) was huge, this meant Holding had to play far too much. The lack of depth cost us, which I think has been rectified a bit.

Maybe I'm simply a pessimist but I think City will be stronger next season.

Agree, it's a discussion for a different thread but we caved at the end of the season. Players were getting burned out and losing Saliba in particular (missed 12 games) was huge, this meant Holding had to play far too much. The lack of depth cost us, which I think has been rectified a bit.

Maybe I'm simply a pessimist but I think City will be stronger next season.
I said in the City thread but I feel they may have a poor season for their standards due to a mix of losing a few important players and being well fed after a treble, which is annoying as we're nowhere near in the position to take advantage (even if I think we will have a much better season than people think).

My guess at this point would be Liverpool, I wouldn't be surprised if City have a 19/20 esque start to next season where they start complacent and before anyone can blink you guys and/or Liverpool suddenly have a significant lead on them.

I said in the City thread but I feel they may have a poor season for their standards due to a mix of losing a few important players and being well fed after a treble, which is annoying as we're nowhere near in the position to take advantage (even if I think we will have a much better season than people think).

My guess at this point would be Liverpool, I wouldn't be surprised if City have a 19/20 esque start to next season where they start complacent and before anyone can blink you guys and/or Liverpool suddenly have a significant lead on them.

I see Pool improving but not that far. They have some cracks to fill which they have not done yet, and away from home, it wasn't that rosy last year. In fact it was pretty ugly. I don't see a 90 point or even 85 pts. I can see them beating us to second but winning it outright will be a tough bet. Not impossible...i rate Klopp very high.

If you think you shouldn’t after spending half a billion I’d question where exactly your ambition to be a big club is?
I think you're quoting the wrong person - I am fully expecting us to be in amongst it and I'm absolutely loving it.

As much as i like Rice, the hype around him is fecking bonkers. You would think they were signing a prime Zidane and not a fecking DM. You could understand if it’s an attacking player or a certified world beater but never seen this much noise and celebrations before for a DM. Arsenal fans, the media, welcome videos feat Ian wright, Laura woods etc. What’s going on? Am I missing something here?

As much as i like Rice, the hype around him is fecking bonkers. You would think they were signing a prime Zidane and not a fecking DM. You could understand if it’s an attacking player or a certified world beater but never seen this much noise and celebrations before for a DM. Arsenal fans, the media, welcome videos feat Ian wright, Laura woods etc. What’s going on? Am I missing something here?
I think atleast Utd fans would know the importance of a WC DM. He justifies the hype IMO. We would do the same if we signed one of the league's best DMs who is yet to hit his prime.

I think atleast Utd fans would know the importance of a WC DM. He justifies the hype IMO. We would do the same if we signed one of the league's best DMs who is yet to hit his prime.

I’d be amazed if we’d had the same reaction after signing Rice. Half of our fansbase was lamenting us signing the hands down best defensive midfielder in the World last Summer for fecks sake :lol:

It just the way things work now. It's all about welcome videos, social interactions, raising profiles of both player and club, which in the long run helps raise commercial revenues.

I'd have thought the commercial juggernaut that is Man Utd would understand that more than anyone.

We didn’t do it last season when we literally signed the best DM in the world?

Maybe you decide to reign it in a bit after the hype of things like #pogback and finding out that piano playing was the best thing Sanchez probably did for you?

You can't call Rice world class, not a hope.

He’s never played in the Champions League, let alone starred in it. He’s just finished a season at West Ham in 14th, with 40 points.

At Arsenal he now has the platform to prove himself a WC midfielder but you’re absolutely talking out of your bottom if you think he’s already that.

So Kane isnt world class then?

What does playing in a particular competition have to do with whether you are world class or not?

No. World class ability is dependent on how you perform as a player, and how that compares to other players in your position. You can make the argument that Rice has not been tested at the highest stage, sure. But you cant diminish his capabilities as a player, on the fact that he hasnt featured at the top top level.

Maybe you decide to reign it in a bit after the hype of things like #pogback and finding out that piano playing was the best thing Sanchez probably did for you?
No, I’m just arguing against his point which has nothing to do with either Pogba or Sanchez.
And nobody was talking about unveiling videos, it’s the hype around the player. I’d say People getting excited about an academy player winning the World Cup and returning to Old Trafford rightfully got the fans excited

Casemiro signing was always viewed as a short-term signing. Which is indeed true. We will be in the market for a WC #6 sooner than we know. Also most posters were balls deep into FDJ saga and because of that Casemiro signing wasn't seen as fondly as we do now.

What makes you believe that he isn't?
He has done sweet feck all to be considered as such. He certainly could be, in the future, after he has continuously proven himself on the biggest stages, not playing for West Ham.

Casemiro signing was always viewed as a short-term signing. Which is indeed true. We will be in the market for a WC #6 sooner than we know. Also most posters were balls deep into FDJ saga and because of that Casemiro signing wasn't seen as fondly as we do now.
But we literally signed arguably the best DM of this generation. Short term / long term. If we get 3/4 years out him then that’s great. We know we’re getting that many years of excellence.
That’s tiers above signing Rice from West Ham. It’s not even in the same conversation

Luckily we signed the best DM in the league already.

Rice isn't world class currently.

But, he has the ability and mentality to get there imo

So Kane isnt world class then?

Kane is Tottenham & England’s record scorer, above Wayne Rooney and he’s played in a fecking Champions League final, proving himself plenty in the top competition. He was the first player in CL history to score 9 in his first 9 CL games and the fastest ever player to reach 20 CL goals.
His record in the biggest competition is 32 games with 21 goals & 5 assists.
Oh, and I should probably also mention that he is on course within a couple of years to become the all-time record Premier League goalscorer.

Kin ell man. If you think Kane & Rice are even remotely comparable, you need to get your head checked.

Last edited:
But we literally signed arguably the best DM of this generation. Short term / long term. If we get 3/4 years out him then that’s great. We know we’re getting that many years of excellence.
That’s tiers above signing Rice from West Ham. It’s not even in the same conversation
And I'm explaining the reasons as to why we didn't celebrate like Arsenal fans are doing with Rice.

And I'm explaining the reasons as to why we didn't celebrate like Arsenal fans are doing with Rice.

Your arguments makes absolutely no sense though, why on earth would we celebrate more when buying a far inferior defensive midfielder with potential, rather than buying one who was actually the very best in the world at the top of his game, and was likely to be the best in the world for at least another 2 to 3 years?
It makes absolutely no sense that we would’ve celebrated getting Rice more than getting Casimero. It’s a scenario invented in your own mind.

Your arguments makes absolutely no sense though, why on earth would we celebrate more when buying a far inferior defensive midfielder with potential, rather than buying one who was actually the very best in the world at the top of his game, and was likely to be the best in the world for at least another 2 to 3 years?
It makes absolutely no sense that we would’ve celebrated getting Rice more than getting Casimero. It’s a scenario invented in your own mind.
The argument isnt whether we are celebrating more for signing Casemiro than Arsenal signing Rice so you got that completely wrong.

I'd leave it.

Oh my, the caf inspector is here. Better pack my bags.

Kane is Tottenham & England’s record scorer, above Wayne Rooney and he’s played in a fecking Champions League final, proving himself plenty in the top competition. He was the first player in CL history to score 9 in his first 9 CL games and the fastest ever player to reach 20 CL goals.
His record in the biggest competition is 32 games with 21 goals & 5 assists.
Oh, and I should probably also mention that he is on course within a couple of years to become the all-time record Premier League goalscorer.

Kin ell man. If you think Kane & Rice are even remotely comparable, you need to get your head checked.
Thank you for writing this, when I saw what he wrote I knew there were stats and points to make but I couldn't be bothered looking it up :P

We always knew West Ham won't let him go for anything less than 100m though. Its not really much of a surprise there.

I think he is good signing for Arsenal regardless, as he is probably what they needed most. But saying that, I personally wouldn't go anything higher than 70-80m for him (including English/United tax). He is what he is, a very solid DM, and he doesn't really have the talent to go any higher.

Why is Kane compared to Rice?

Can Kane be compared to Ederson?

Declan Rice has spent virtually his entire career playing under Moyes at West Ham and Southgate for England.

He is clearly a very talented player with huge potential but it's completely inaccurate to say that he's world class. He may well become a world class player but he still has it all to prove.

Fulham rejecting 40m for Palhinha, Brighton asking 100m for Caicedo, Lavia with 1 yr experience in which his team got relegated his team is asking for 50m. And some still think Rice value is 60m.
The market has gone crazy but it is what it is.

Think the fee will be too much for him, but he will get an easier ride in the media than most with such a price tag. Also interested to see how Arteta is planning on setting Arsenal up next season. He isn't a like for like replacement for Partey or Xhaka, having Rice come in for one of them will really change the way Arsenal approach their build up. It will be the dismantling of a system that had proved to be a good one for the most part.

All the mental gymnastics in this thread.
Several things can be true at the same time.
His preference was Arsenal. But he wouldn’t exactly be devastated to join City.
City wanted him and therefore bid for him. Arsenal wanted him more. …
Btw, what are his wages? With Mount the wages were reported several times, I haven’t seen anything regarding Rice.

All the mental gymnastics in this thread.
Several things can be true at the same time.
His preference was Arsenal. But he wouldn’t exactly be devastated to join City.
City wanted him and therefore bid for him. Arsenal wanted him more. …
Btw, what are his wages? With Mount the wages were reported several times, I haven’t seen anything regarding Rice.
I've seen mentions of 200/250k which are to be expected

Since United last won the PL title back in 12/13 they have won: 1x FA Cups, 1x Europa League and 2x EFL Cups.

In that same period Arsenal have won 4x FA Cups.

Both sides have been as bad or as good as each other in terms of winning trophies. Does this mean anyone that signs for United has decided to be a loser too?
Like I said his career

Don't think Rice is world class from what we have seen so far and what I expect from that position. He has to show more and he is going to get that chance now. Having said that he could become a great player given the right development and also fitting in the right system.

I personally believe Rodri is the best here, but Rice will not compare that well to Rodri. Managers are going to view that role differently. We are comparing vastly different players when we compare Rodri, Rice, Partey or Casemiro.

Caicedo, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Enzo, Tonali, Ugerte, Florentino -

are all not world class yet, so Rice has plenty of time on his side competing with them than trying to compete with players like Casemiro, Rodri, Fabinho, Busquets, Gundogan, Kimmich, Kroos Or whoever is regarded as world class at the moment.