De Gea - Fiorentina watch

Wouldn’t blame him for any of those goals. The corner was into the six yard box but had a lot of whip and was almost too low for him to get out to it ahead of anyone else.

Having been desperate to get rid of him for years I’m going to end up constantly trying to defend him if people keep sharing tweets from bell-ends desperate for him to play badly.
The corner had whip on it, but you don't stand on your line in the first place. Just a little further and you will be able to have a go. We know De Gea isn't coming for it any which way though.
I hope he has a great season, and keeps going till his late 30s.

Exactly. Some of the posts are just nonsense, they think any ball into 6 yard box should be dealt by keeper without considering the pace and trajectory of the delivery.
That and the guy gave us years and years of top quality service. Can't people just wish him well ffs. don't understand some actively probably wishing he doesn't do well.

Yeah quite, maybe the defence shouldn't be allowing free headers in their 6 yard box. Any keeper in the world is essentially helpless at that point. It's a great whipped ball which would have been very difficult to come out for.

Its quite funny that is all the defence's fault when De Gea does it but when Onana does something like that the defence arnt to blame Onana is.

Its quite funny that is all the defence's fault when De Gea does it but when Onana does something like that the defence arnt to blame Onana is.
When has Onana been blamed for a goal conceded because he's not come to claim?

Let's face it, he's not a top goalkeeper and hasn't been for some time, weird for him to get hate about this but I suspect the hate is a reflection on how some felt he was still world class and hard done by when he was booted out.

Either way, he had to go, he's gone, we haven't exactly replaced him with a world class talent but that doesn't mean De Gea was the answer either.

I didn't realise he'd moved there. Good for him. Hopefully he can find some form again.

That and the guy gave us years and years of top quality service. Can't people just wish him well ffs. don't understand some actively probably wishing he doesn't do well.

I get people not wanting players we’ve moved on to do well. Because that means the club has fecked up and we should have held onto them. And that sucks. A feeling that is particularly acute here, seeing as De Gea’s replacement has had such a rocky start (although looking much better recently)

On the flip side, it’s been so fecking obvious for so fecking long that we had to move DDG on there really isn’t any need to desperately look for evidence that the club did the right thing. We had all the evidence we needed - and more - while he was still at the club. So there really isn’t any need for forensic criticism of every goal he concedes in Italy.

I get people not wanting players we’ve moved on to do well. Because that means the club has fecked up and we should have held onto them. And that sucks. A feeling that is particularly acute here, seeing as De Gea’s replacement has had such a rocky start (although looking much better recently)

On the flip side, it’s been so fecking obvious for so fecking long that we had to move DDG on there really isn’t any need to desperately look for evidence that the club did the right thing. We had all the evidence we needed - and more - while he was still at the club. So there really isn’t any need for forensic criticism of every goal he concedes in Italy.
Yeah, that's the crux of it for me. Agree with pretty much everything else you said there. I could understand feeling a certain way of a player who's leaving us in his prime (perhaps Ronaldo to Madrid, as an example) or a player who left under a bit of a dark cloud (di Maria or even potentially now, Sancho)...but not someone like DDG.

Yeah, that's the crux of it for me. Agree with pretty much everything else you said there. I could understand feeling a certain way of a player who's leaving us in his prime (perhaps Ronaldo to Madrid, as an example) or a player who left under a bit of a dark cloud (di Maria or even potentially now, Sancho)...but not someone like DDG.

Me too. I was beating the drum for years and getting stick for it for saying he isn't good enough anymore. I find the cafe holds on to players way more than they should.

Even players who were never good enough (Welbeck, Pereira, even Cleverley) should be brought back for squad depth. It really baffles me. Like posters wanting Amrabat back even though it was obvious he was too slow and had many horror shows.

Me too. I was beating the drum for years and getting stick for it for saying he isn't good enough anymore. I find the cafe holds on to players way more than they should.

Even players who were never good enough (Welbeck, Pereira, even Cleverley) should be brought back for squad depth. It really baffles me. Like posters wanting Amrabat back even though it was obvious he was too slow and had many horror shows.
Yeah, we do hold on to players too long and even when players have proven themselves not good enough, they always have a few supporters who would back them, even if just holding on to them "for a squad role/they can still do a job" etc.

There's a lot of weird hate against him.

People are really fecking odd about an ex player who was nothing but a professional here. It’s Fcuking childish.

Player of the year multiple times, last keeper to win a league title here, battled through initial hardship to cement a place in a side and bailed us out in countless games for around over a decade. He played over 400 games for us ffs.

It’s truly juvenile to harbour any ill will towards him.

People are really fecking odd about an ex player who was nothing but a professional here. It’s Fcuking childish.

Player of the year multiple times, last keeper to win a league title here, battled through initial hardship to cement a place in a side and bailed us out in countless games for around over a decade. He played over 400 games for us ffs.

Yeah, I agree with you. The caf is full of miserable people that love to hate. The Jermaine thread is another recent example.

Yeah, I agree with you. The caf is full of miserable people that love to hate. The Jermaine thread is another recent example.

It’s understandable why Jenas would be universally disliked on a United forum to be fair, but the stick De Gea gets is baffling.

He was a fantastic servant to the club and deserves better.

Third goal. Oof again. Not great marking/defending but a corner that is headed in from the 6 yard box. Once again, something we've seen here many times before.

They came back from 0-2 down to lead 3-2 and then conceded this last minute equaliser.

Didn't spend the last year working on his game it seems.

Some people got really invested in the idea that he was the root of all the team's problems and that there'd be a transformation into peak Barca once there was a keeper who was good with his feet in goal. It's hard to let go, even after being so spectacularly proven wrong last season.

Not that bad IMO. I'd have expected him (or any keeper really) to be much rustier after a year out of football.

The first and last goal are imo 'objectively' below par/poor for a keeper, which is fine as he's not a top keeper anymore and not playing for a top club (or ours). That's not even mentioning how long he's been out, so there must be some rust. However, both goals conceded are also things that he has many previous fundamental issues with before and are not exactly new. I don't think we need to pretend otherwise, 'defend' De Gea and conflate that criticism with previous unrelated resentment from other people. Btw I didn't even bother looking at the tweets and cared only for the footage.

Wow, we thought United kits were expensive, $220 CAD/ 150€ for a short sleeved De Gea kit at the Fiorentina shop!

And they only have small and medium sizes still available.

There's a lot of weird hate against him.
You try standing behind a bloke week in, week out for the last 4/5 years of his United career and watching him not do the basic fundamentals of goalkeeping that you'd genuinely expect a reasonably well coached teenager to do on a Sunday morning, then hearing him come out saying he's happy with his own performances while the team are losing every week and not getting the slightest bit pissed off with him. I'll be the first to admit I absolutely could not stand him for the last few years he was at the club because every time I had to stand there and watch him not do basic things that the goalkeeper up the other end was doing routinely and then blame the defenders for his own failings. As such I wasn't particularly surprised with his struggles to find a club because he really had been that bad over a prolonged period. I did think Forest could have been a good fit for him when that was mooted in January but one of the parties clearly wasn't interested.

That being said it's weird to carry it on; he's got a new club, you've got to wish him well. I don't see stock in following former players on downward trajectories particularly closely, it seems that some on social do media do so just to laugh at them and it's very sad. I actually think he's got more of a job to get in their team ahead of Terracciano, but I wish him well. He gave a lot of years to United, a couple of which were genuinely outstanding, and I really hope he does well at Fiorentina. I hope he has worked on the poorer areas of his game, but I would be surprised in truth - let's hope I am.

He is right now in a penalty shoot-out :D

Edit: He has saved a penalty :eek:

Edit II: Fiorentina have won.

Better at saving pens than Joe Pesci at least.