Day 7 | Slovenia vs Serbia | Denmark vs England | Spain vs Italy

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Can't honestly tell if we're crap or they're incredible
You guys suck. What does the Italian press say about all this, being a football country and with your curriculum.
I'm not so impressed with Spain. Nico misses a lot and Lamal is pretty much missing. The advantage is that Rodri is incredibly dominant

Flying high

I don't know if this Spain team will win anything, but at least they're not boring any more.

RoyH1

It’s amazing what a team with two competent wingers can look like. Every time a Spanish midfielder has the ball and looks up there’s a palpable sense of danger

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Don't really see what our game plan is tonight, Spain are playing through us constantly. Hope we can hold on for a late snatch and grab.

ManUtd1999

Real lack of quality up front for Italy
The Italian midfield has created next to nothing. I don’t blame their attackers. Spain is completely dominating the game. Italy would need to win the old way, if they can still do it. Be strong defensively and score a goal when you have that odd chance.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Italy always show up and defend brilliantly, even if their back line is short of household names. There’s something about Italian defenders, that when it matters, there’s no one better in the business.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
When you think how Spain used to play, successful but a bit boring.
So would you say their managers put a stamp on things? I’ve always remembered them being a pretty good possession based team. They’re quite lucky that they have wonderful players that are really good on the ball and can play that way.

MrWilliams

Isn’t the general consensus that Fabian Ruiz has underwhelmed since joining PSG? He’s looked good this tournament
Yep, he’s underwhelmed at PSG but then again, Enrique hasn’t set him up to succeed. Ruiz was a baller since his Napoli days.

Raven

What’s even worse is he could try Wharton in the role. Instead, he opts for a clueless RB and then a clueless ball-carrying, average passing player as the back up.

Southgate has over a billion in talent at his disposal and is pining for Kalvin Phillips. There are no words.
Just saw this, absolutely mental take and should be a stackable offense.

BarryWinks

Chose to play for his parent’s homeland, Ghana. I don’t think Spain fancied him to be honest because it wasn’t until 2022 he got capped for Ghana, almost 6 yrs after he made his first friendly appearance for Spain’s senior team.

I think the Spanish FA learned their lesson with Nico and capped him early. The modern game requires technique in addition to athleticism. Yamal and Nico give Spain the pace on the wings and ability play far more vertically.
Username checks out.

Family?

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I quite like this version of Spain.

Less afraid to go direct or shoot from range, rather than the other iterations we've seen for the last decade where they just try and fail to be the Xavi/Iniesta side while boring everybody to death in the process.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
I understand Le Normand and Laporte are both half french but we should stop to try to hit them all the time

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Barella is one of the elite technical midfielders in the world…..
He isn't, he is a very good all rounder but he isn't elite from a technical standpoint. There is quite obviously several gaps between him and the likes of Totti, Verratti, Pirlo, Del Piero, Baggio, Cassano and many others.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
So would you say their managers put a stamp on things? I’ve always remembered them being a pretty good possession based team. They’re quite lucky that they have wonderful players that are really good on the ball and can play that way.
I like people being able to keep the ball, but not just passing it about for the sake of it. You think about the fact we have Harry Kane who scores for fun at club level, Spain never seemed to have a prolific scorer, Villa and Torres. However they seemed to be able to get the results. Good coaching.

tomaldinho1

It's a toss up between the two tbh. However if Kane is playing, there needs to be runners out wide. There were too many players who wanted the ball at their feet
Yep Gordon and Saka if Kane plays. To be honest I think Gordon has to play, the left wing was tragic. Weird looking at who is available neither Rashford or Grealish are there.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Germany typically struggles against Spain. The last time that Germany beat Spain in a competitive match was… Euro 1988.

Based on what I have seen from both teams, I expect Germany not to win, certainly not “handedly”.
Meh, those types of stats aren’t worth much for me.

As for what we have actually seen in this tournament so far: I feel like Spain is doing a lesser version of their high press, which Croatia and even Italy at times are able to play through. Because it isn’t as systemically good at what you’d see on a club level by certain teams. For NT tournament you can get away with it, but inevitably you’ll run into teams that will bypass that press and punish you. For me, Germany and to a lesser extent France are those teams. Also think the German defense with Rudiger and Tah should be able to handle the likes of Morata. Whereas the German attack patterns I think will overwhelm the Spain defense which hasn’t looked good so far (Croatia really sucked at finishing).

Certainly a match I’d like to see.