Day 7 | Slovenia vs Serbia | Denmark vs England | Spain vs Italy

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
I don't really get Southgate squads at all. Having so many options he plays a handful of players out of position, including the only left footed player. Maybe this will do against weak teams but I don't see this squad surviving an encounter with France, Germany, Italy or Spain.

fergies coat

Playing Trent again because of his brilliant passing apparently, but we have no forwards who stretch teams and run behind the defence. Everybody wants it to feet. Southgate is clueless!

whitbyviking

He's too arrogant to change, wants to be proven right hence this ludicrous team selection again. Doesn't learn from his mistakes, can't affect a game, tactically inflexible. League 1 manager at best.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Same crap team as last time. Play Gordon to give us more directness on the other wing. Everything’s going down the right again ain’t it. So predictable.

Kirk lazarus

As much as I love Kobbie . With no left back in that 11. Lefty Wharton makes the most sense to me over Trent .

Trent does not know how to play position . He's a creative player of no position that is put somewhere his lack of positioning can be best recovered from . Right back .

Irwin99

Which group runners up do England play when they win the group or is it a third place team? Even if they draw today I still fancy England to win the group.

mu4c_20le

I don't really get Southgate squads at all. Having so many options he plays a handful of players out of position, including the only left footed player. Maybe this will do against weak teams but I don't see this squad surviving an encounter with France, Germany, Italy or Spain.
Pretty much controlled the game last time until he went defensive in the second half. Denmark are gash, don't really need anything special to beat them. He'll spring a tactical surprise against those stronger teams.

lex talionis

At least Southgate can defend himself against the accusation of being a managerial genius. He handles the media masterfully and makes sure the players get along, which are crucial skills, but as far as picking sides and having those sides play cohesive football, that aint his forte.

OldSchoolManc

TAA again is moronic.
Stubborn Southgate killing us again.
You almost want Denmark to teach us a lesson before it’s too late in the competition

the_cliff

Everyone annoyed at Trent in midfield but I don't think that's the big problem in this game. Of course against better teams Trent can't start but I think the main problem is Foden on the left. Southgate has to either try Saka on the left and play Foden on the right or drop one of Foden/Saka for that lw position.

Foden on the left is not working and because he's similar to Kane/Bellingham in wanting to drift into the middle it leaves our left side toothless.

saivet

Which group runners up do England play when they win the group or is it a third place team? Even if they draw today I still fancy England to win the group.
If we win the group, we'd play one of the 3rd place team from groups D/E/F. Only one game played in those groups but the third placed teams are currently Poland, Belgium and Czechia.

OverratedOpinion

As much as I love Kobbie . With no left back in that 11. Lefty Wharton makes the most sense to me over Trent .

Trent does not know how to play position . He's a creative player of no position that is put somewhere his lack of positioning can be best recovered from . Right back .
Wharton, Gallagher or Mainoo would be fine.

LDUred

Making wholesale changes after winning a reasonably tricky opening group game is just not going to happen.

Yes, the performance against Serbia was mediocre at best, but they got the job done.

Foden may actually click in this game and showing a bit of faith in him is understandable after the season he's had.

I would like to see Gordon on the left at some point however because he has the pace and trickery to stretch the game.

90 + 5min

Same team :lol:

Once again, midfield will fail. When will Southgate learn. I know that options are not good on bench considering central midfield but come on. Arnold, Rice and Bellingham can't play together. One is no central midfielder, one is side-passing overrated player and last one is talent who still got to learn more than just running around until there is no energy left. Two of them must be out of the team. He should have taken with him some experience in that position.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Is there not a single non-injured left back you lot could have taken? :lol:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Making wholesale changes after winning a reasonably tricky opening group game is just not going to happen.

Yes, the performance against Serbia was mediocre at best, but they got the job done.

Foden may actually click in this game and showing a bit of faith in him is understandable after the season he's had.

I would like to see Gordon on the left however because he has the pace and trickery to stretch the game.
Being pleased with getting the job done is basically code for getting knocked out when the good teams take you to task.

JustinC00

Dane's are gonna boss England's midfield. Arnold was exposed as a passerby against Serbia, England was lucky Serbia's midfield was somehow worse in that one.

0161_UNITED

I suppose it's not fashionable on here, but I sometimes struggle to see what everyone's problem is with England. Foden played mostly on the left this season for City and had a magnificent season, he hasn't hit on all gears for England yet, but he's also been in and out for England based on his City form and playing time - Pep was chopping and dropping him until this season. As for Trent, hasn't he been midfielder for Liverpool practically the whole season? He got dropped for England when he was playing as a back, I think it was Southgate, not Klopp who actually first tried him in midfield, and then Liverpool moved him to MF. All I hear is quite a bit of whinging, that I don't totally understand.

erikcred

Once again, midfield will fail. When will Southgate learn. I know that options are not good on bench considering central midfield but come on. Arnold, Rice and Bellingham can't play together. One is no central midfielder, one is side-passing overrated player and last one is talent who still got to learn more than just running around until there is no energy left. Two of them must be out of the team. He should have taken with him some experience in that position.
Considering we don't have a player called "some experience", who would you suggest?

Irwin99

If we win the group, we'd play one of the 3rd place team from groups D/E/F. Only one game played in those groups but the third placed teams are currently Poland, Belgium and Czechia.
Thanks. I really don't like this third place goes through business- I know Portugal won it a few years ago via this route but it just seems a bit cheap.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
TAA again is moronic.
Stubborn Southgate killing us again.
You almost want Denmark to teach us a lesson before it’s too late in the competition
Definitely thought this.
The media have campaigned for him to start it's been all over talksport for ages. I didn't think he'd do it as it's barely been tried before, but here we are 2nd game into a major tournament shoehorning him into the heart of midfield.
England looked miles better 2 years ago.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I like Ellen White but saying "Everyone performed at their maximum level" is absolutely moronic.

Macca7

Southgates an absolute clown. Denmark will beat us tonight. Foden and Trent should not be starting.

giggs-beckham

Clueless

I would like to see Gordon on the left at some point however because he has the pace and trickery to stretch the game.
One of the reasons it was so tricky was because of the managers shit cnut team selection..

diarm

What in the hell is wrong with Southgate? I want to see England fail horribly as much as the next self respecting Irishman, but this level of ineptitude is just rage inducing.

You guys have a midfield trio that would probably cost half a billion pounds if they were all sold this summer. One of them is only any good as a 10, one is a £100m no6, even if his new Arsenal notions have him thinking he can play further forward, and the last guy - the best of them all, is equally as good at 8 or 10. It's the easiest midfield to select in the history of English football.

What does Gareth Lord of Softcocks do? He plays the 10 on the left wing so he can play the star guy in attacking mid, then picks a right back to play in a neither here nor there midfield so his DM can roam up the pitch.