Day 5 | Turkey vs Georgia | Portugal vs Czechia

Bit harsh on Czechs … played well (if negative) I thought.

Thing is what they did isn’t out of the usual, most teams do it and will keep doing it. Bunker down against the favorite team, work hard and try your luck on the counter. It’s effective and works. But Portugal had a much better first half where they were able to get past that, bizarre second half from them as the formation led to big gaps between the lines and no positional overload anywhere on the pitch. Especially when trying to build up to the final third.

Think they need to revise the formation and line-up.

Every single goal this round was scored by a different player. The man, the myth, Own Goal himself, tops the scoring charts with three goals.

The feck did Ronaldo offer in that game, ridiculous that he wasn't subbed off.

Who is this clown on RTE saying he should have taken Bruno off? Was probably their best player, certainly was in the 1st half.

The rule for taking off your t-shirt should be scrapped. It may be odd for a first 10 minutes goal but an injury time winner should be celebrated any way the player wishes. (Amad?)

Nah. Taking off a shirt in celebration is strange. Does it even happen in other sports?

Yes but Martinez needs to stop playing around. I don't understand how you play a stable eleven and formation during the qualifiers with very good results and then changes everything when it matters with a negative effect.
I don't object to that. LIke I said, let's see how he sets the team up in next game.

Is there a bigger chancer in footballer than Roberto Martinez? The man is the epitome of failing upwards.

Fully expect him to blag his way into the Barca job next. Let's hope INEOS aren't fans of him the same way they admire Southgate.
Martinez was interviewed for the united job by ineos the athletic confirmed that

Bizarre system to accommodate a 40 year old centre back and a 39 year old striker. Neither should be playing nevermind starting for Portugal.

No coincidence that Portugal's best performance under Martinez came when Ronaldo was unavailable for international duty.
Pepe played very well. He doesn't deserve to be put in the same bracket as Ronaldo. He was one of the best players in the WC and again he started very well. He deserves his spot atm.

The oldest infact.

They said it in commentary - he took the title off some tracksuit wearing Hungarian goalkeeper.

Ah, I must’ve missed that. Can’t claim I particularly like the guy, but fair fcuks to him for staying in the team so long.

Bizarre system to accommodate a 40 year old centre back and a 39 year old striker. Neither should be playing nevermind starting for Portugal.

No coincidence that Portugal's best performance under Martinez came when Ronaldo was unavailable for international duty.

Pepe isnt accommodated. He still is good and deserves to play. He was good against Arsenal in the CL too. When someone is old, it doesnt mean someone is bad. Manchester United fans should know that because Scholes and Giggs werent bad when they were old.

Ronaldo is totally accommodated though. Even the system is set up so he might score.

Been a great first round of games. Hopefully we can grab a point at least tomorrow.

I think it is more that club team coaches are just much better these days instead of national team managers being worse than before.
Plus the pay and buyout packages are generally far richer at the club level. Guess the flip side is the workload is a lot lighter. But being a natl manager is a bit of a thankless job when you think about it.

"The Czech Republic wants to be known as "Czechia" to make it easier for companies and sports teams to use it on products and clothing."

Why is Czechia inherently easier for companies and sports teams to use than Czech? It's two more letters!

Greece has been calling them that since day 1.