Day 5 | Turkey vs Georgia | Portugal vs Czechia

Bizarre system to accommodate a 40 year old centre back and a 39 year old striker. Neither should be playing nevermind starting for Portugal.

No coincidence that Portugal's best performance under Martinez came when Ronaldo was unavailable for international duty.
Pepe is in the team on merit. He is still Portugal's best defender. Better than Inacio, Antonio Silva and Dias.

Ronaldo is the issue and its mainly because of his unchecked ego and the fact that he will ruin the camp atmosphere if he isn't picked.

Only country in the world that get this reaction from fans worldwide for scoring a goal after a non given foul 100 meters from goal that resulted in a goal kick after the other team spent the whole game diving and time wasting. Why is that?

Imagine the outrage if we break our 70 year long 40 game streak of not getting a penalty in a knockout game rather than getting eliminated for a dubious one

"The Czech Republic wants to be known as "Czechia" to make it easier for companies and sports teams to use it on products and clothing."

Why is Czechia inherently easier for companies and sports teams to use than Czech? It's two more letters!
Czechia is shorter than Czech Republic.
"Czech" is just an adjective, not a name.

Every good chance of Portugal involved Ronaldo, including the own goal and the disallowed goal.

:lol: You mean the goal that was disallowed following his offside missed sitter? I mean I guess it was great that his head made contact with the ball.

Is Palinha, not fancied by Martinez, not fit or just not expected to play against weaker opposition?

Vitinha is a cracking player.

Portugal deserved the win in the end, but Ronaldo and Pepe might prove to be a disadvantage against the proper teams.

Only country in the world that get this reaction from fans worldwide for scoring a goal after a non given foul 100 meters from goal that resulted in a goal kick after the other team spent the whole game diving and time wasting. Why is that?

Imagine the outrage if we break our 70 year long 40 game streak of not getting a penalty in a knockout game rather than getting eliminated for a dubious one
Back from the dead. Welcome back and congrats on our league win. It's the usual bias against Portugal, don't take it personal.

Portugal deserved the win in the end, but Ronaldo and Pepe might prove to be a disadvantage against the proper teams.
Don't see an issue with Pepe. He still is in the team because he deserves it.

Agreed in regards to Vitinha. Again, don't put Pepe in the same bracket as Ronaldo. He was very good. Even when we lost against Marocco in the WC Pepe was one of the best. I'd bench Ronaldo though. We look more dynamic and cohesive without him.

These Pepe mentions it's like people don't watch the matches. Age doesn't matter if you're good. He keeps producing. His performance against Arsenal in the CL this year proves that. If there's a drop in his production, he will get benched. He doesn't have the same clout or influence as Ronaldo. He starts on merit. It's different than the Ronaldo situation.

Great result for Portugal considering they played the match with 10 men including a terrible performance by Bernardo Silva. Can't remember the last time I saw him have a good game for Portugal.

This day belongs to Turkey and Georgia though. What a game.

These Pepe mentions it's like people don't watch the matches. Age doesn't matter if you're good. He keeps producing. His performance against Arsenal in the CL this year proves that. If there's a drop in his production, he will get benched. He doesn't have the same clout or influence as Ronaldo. He starts on merit. It's different than the Ronaldo situation.

Indeed. Very strange to read all the Pepe talk here. Pepe was very good against Arsenal, didnt do anything wrong tonight but somehow he is going to be a reason why Portugal cant do well?

A 15 year younger player who played like Pepe did against Arsenal and also played like how Pepe did today would likely be called a very good player. Writing off Pepe is just because of his age.

Indeed. Very strange to read all the Pepe talk here. Pepe was very good against Arsenal, didnt do anything wrong tonight but somehow he is going to be a reason why Portugal cant do well?

A 15 year younger player who played like Pepe did against Arsenal and also played like how Pepe did today would likely be called a very good player. Writing off Pepe is just because of his age.
I feel dirty defending him. His antics as a Porto player are disgusting but I have to be objective. Same with Ronaldo. I used to be a big fan and will be forever be grateful for what he has done for us but he can't start anymore. He has to be an impact sub. All the best Portugal performances under Martinez were without him.

Great result for Portugal considering they played the match with 10 men including a terrible performance by Bernardo Silva. Can't remember the last time I saw him have a good game for Portugal.

This day belongs to Turkey and Georgia though. What a game.
All these mancity stars never shine for their national teams. Bernardo, Foden, De bruyne all deliver below par performances every time.

You’re in the CAF were a player approaching 30 is considered just on the verge of being over the hill and the cult of youth is a thing. Pepe might was well be Metuselah regardless of how he performs. He’s far from Portugal’s worst performer in every game I see him

All these mancity stars never shine for their national teams. Bernardo, Foden, De bruyne all deliver below par performances every time.
Bernardo is being destroyed in the portuguese media but getting the out of form excuse. He's always been a bit subpar in the national team. Never seen him having a really good performance here.

I feel dirty defending him. His antics as a Porto player are disgusting but I have to be objective. Same with Ronaldo. I used to be a big fan and will be forever be grateful for what he has done for us but he can't start anymore. He has to be an impact sub. All the best Portugal performances under Martinez were without him.
I would still have both as starters. They still have it in them.

Back from the dead. Welcome back and congrats on our league win. It's the usual bias against Portugal, don't take it personal.

I don’t anymore. It’s just funny.

We played ok despite the criticism. Missed Conceição and Félix against the low block, should have both came on 50 minutes in. Cancelo needs benching, we’ll probably have no chance to win the tournament regardless of who he plays. Playing Félix/Ramos and António Silva/Danilo because Ronaldo and Pepe are old won’t solve much. Honestly if we’re not winning the Euros because we’re not giving Gonçalo Ramos and António Silva many minutes then it’s not worth winning anyway.

We have a better chance thinking two legends will turn back the years than putting average players in.

Bernardo was shit as usual for the national team. Some players need to be great every game, others get to be shit for years. Hopefully he wakes up in the knockout games but I’m probably stupid for still believing in that

We have a better chance thinking two legends will turn back the years than putting average players in.

Bernardo was shit as usual for the national team.
That’s what I think too. I don’t trust Silva or Fernandes to lead Portugal to glory. I don’t think that they did something special in the second half today.

People can blame Ronaldo as much as they want, but he’s not the reason that Portugal lost to Morocco 1.5 years ago. He did well today, and so did Pepe.

I would still have both as starters. They still have it in them.

I just don't see it in Ronaldo anymore mate. Too many subpar performances. What made me sour about Ronaldo was his antics in the World Cup. You can't be above the team. This isn't Ronaldo FC. It's Portugal. We objectively played better without him.

That’s what I think too. I don’t trust Silva or Fernandes to lead Portugal to glory. I don’t think that they did something special in the second half today.

People can blame Ronaldo as much as they want, but he’s not the reason that Portugal lost to Morocco 1.5 years ago. He did well today, and so did Pepe.
The issue today is on the coach. Ronaldo did alright with the few chances he had today.

I just don't see it in Ronaldo anymore mate. Too many subpar performances. What made me sour about Ronaldo was his antics in the World Cup. You can't be above the team. This isn't Ronaldo FC. It's Portugal. We objectively played better without him.
What antics?

Portugal won the first two games in the group stage with Ronaldo as a starter and qualified with no problems.

He was on the bench against Morocco… we know how that ended.

I'm afraid it IS Ronaldo FC. In theory, no player is bigger than the club or the national team, but in practical reality Ronaldo is King Ronaldo and will not be dropped so long as he meets bare minimum metrics of shots on goal and key passes.

I don’t anymore. It’s just funny.

We played ok despite the criticism. Missed Conceição and Félix against the low block, should have both came on 50 minutes in. Cancelo needs benching, we’ll probably have no chance to win the tournament regardless of who he plays. Playing Félix/Ramos and António Silva/Danilo because Ronaldo and Pepe are old won’t solve much. Honestly if we’re not winning the Euros because we’re not giving Gonçalo Ramos and António Silva many minutes then it’s not worth winning anyway.

Bernardo was shit as usual for the national team. Some players need to be great every game, others get to be shit for years. Hopefully he wakes up in the knockout games but I’m probably stupid for still believing in that

I agree with some points but I don't really think we played good. Czechia was atrocious and we should have crushed them. We will pay against top opposition if the spaniard doesn't get the eleven and formation right. I gave up on Bernardo on our National team for a while now. Consistently bad and he escapes criticism because everyone if focused on criticizing Ronaldo. I just don't believe in our National team. I've said it from the start.

We’re played well with Ronaldo and without Ronaldo. We’re played like shit with Ronaldo and without Ronaldo. The narrative is always about Ronaldo because he’s Ronaldo, it is what it is.

Nevermind the João ‘inverted fullback’ Cancelo from FM that was happening. Maybe he’ll get inverted off the pitch next game

What antics?

Portugal won the first two games in the group stage with Ronaldo as a starter and qualified with no problems.

He was on the bench against Morocco… we know how that ended.

The issues between him and the manager Fernando Santos. He hasn't spoken to Fernando Santos till this day because he made the right decision to bench him. He didn't played well even if we won those games period. We trashed the Swiss 5-0 without him. Like I said, I'd still bring him but use him as impact sub. He would probably get better numbers and contributions if he accepted that.

I agree with some points but I don't really think we played good. Czechia was atrocious and we should have crushed them. We will pay against top opposition if the spaniard doesn't get the eleven and formation right. I gave up on Bernardo on our National team for a while now. Consistently bad and he escapes criticism because everyone if focused on criticizing Ronaldo. I just don't believe in our National team. I've said it from the start.

I think we’ve made them look worse than they are, that’s why I think we played ok even though noone really played a good game aside from Vitinha.

I think we’ve made them look worse than they are, that’s why I think we played ok even though noone really played a good game aside from Vitinha.
I think we will have a more definitive picture after next match.

Nuno Mendes was decent too after a false start.

The issues between him and the manager Fernando Santos. He hasn't spoken to Fernando Santos till this day because he made the right decision to bench him. He didn't played well even if we won those games period. We trashed the Swiss 5-0 without him. Like I said, I'd still bring him but use him as impact sub. He would probably get better numbers and contributions if he accepted that.
I don’t agree with your take, but it’s a reasonable one. Ronaldo may not be the solution to Portugal’s problems, but he’s not the problem either.

I just don’t see who is consistently better than him. I just don’t.

I don't think pepe is a problem . I think Portugal are a bit like England , looking for the balance in midfield . It's alright against teams that don't want the ball , but when they do , that's when you ( and England ) might suffer unless it gets sorted .

I like vitinna , he would be nailed on for me .

Drop Ronaldo for Felix he’ll drop a 10/10 performance all problems will be fixed and then we’ll be desperately subbing Ronaldo on in the knockouts when we need a goal after fannying about near the goal for 70 minutes against an ok team. Playing Ronaldo, Félix or Ramos will be similar if he doesn’t find the right combination in defense and midfield. We won’t do shit if the solution is for our game to go through Cancelo and Bernardo, we should play for Bruno and Leão on the counter with Palhinha, Vitinha and Neves sharing time in midfield. 3 CBs isn’t it

For me Ronaldo wasn’t the problem, our attack was too slow at front and Neves or Palhinha have to play. Portugal always had problems against small teams that defend with 11 players and play better against better teams because they don’t park a bus in front of their goalie.