Day 5 | Turkey vs Georgia | Portugal vs Czechia

Genuinely think Portugal would be a more cohesive side without having to play for Ronaldo’s tally and Ronaldo’s legacy. There’s always a feeling of them trying to force chances onto him.
He'll look annoyed at them or (Good grief) put his arms on waist and look even more annoyed.

Slow tempo from Portugal, dominating to no avail.

Not sure Czechia have the resources to score though.

Czechs will just be happy with a 0-0 from this.

Remember that team they had 20 years ago? Cech, Jankulovski, Ufalusi, Pasil, Porbosky, Rosicky, Baros, Koller, golden generation that really could've won Euro 2004.

Don`t think Portugals football works with Ronaldo up front anymore. It is so obvious the end goal of their build up is to find some space and time for Ronaldo inside the box. Would rather push Bruno and Silva further up instead.

I dont think Martinez is allowed to take Ronaldo out. Their Euro winning manager was sacked because of it.

Remember that team they had 20 years ago? Cech, Jankulovski, Ufalusi, Pasil, Porbosky, Rosicky, Baros, Koller, golden generation that really could've won Euro 2004.

Loved watching them play at the time. Rosicky was a genius

Genuinely think Portugal would be a more cohesive side without having to play for Ronaldo’s tally and Ronaldo’s legacy. There’s always a feeling of them playing for him. Good to see a ref that isn’t buying their theatrics though.

I agree. Portugal having no joy centrally.

They had bigger chance winning 1996. 2004 they would have had Portugal at the final had they passed Greece.

Not sure if Dallot has been told to do nothing but hug the touchline, but he has been an absolute passenger in the game. Has added nothing. Like he’s shellshocked at how boring the game is or something.
Definitely instructed to do so.

Portugal will get the win tonight, but they're definitely a team whose whole is less than the sum of its parts.

I retract my thought that Portugal would do well. Martinez is still on his overly attacking shot with 0 defensive balance. Can't overload this many players going forward and not expect the better sides to take advantage. Go to a back 4, take out cancelo, put a DM next to Vitinha, and get a CF in for Ronaldo and then they'd do well
I warned you. Czechia is very poor team but we will pay the price against top opposition.

Rather Leao any day of the week instead of Bernado, who manages to do his usual dissapearing act every time he puts on a Portugal shirt.

Portugal need to get Jota on. His movement alone will help them. Also get rid of one of the CBs, put a midfielder on and bush Bruno more forward. They have too many players wanting the ball to feet and very little movement.

It's really becoming a trend with City players. Not sure one of them has shined in the competition yet. The second games are gonna be interesting.

Not sure why people are shitting on Portugal, they've looked the most dominant side I've seen at the tournament (missed the Germany game). The Irish pundits are slating the performance as well. When they knock in a couple of goals in the second half I'm sure people's minds will change.
Because they're playing the exact way that any solid counter attacking side will rip apart on the break, which is pretty par for the course for Martinez

He's playing in a team that has had 75% possession.
The test is when the other team don't allow you possession and you have to wrestle it . I'm not saying he can't , I think he can .
It's basically uncontested , and Czechs don't have an outcall to pace

I warned you. Czechia is very poor team but we will pay the price against top opposition.
I always give benefit of doubt that a manager will fix their mistakes. .. it's been 10 years of this nonsense from Martinez. Though at least you can hope you'll replace him for the world cup while you still have a great squad.

I know Dalot has scored once or twice from distance but im not a fan of him attempting to take shots from outside the box.

I always give benefit of doubt that a manager will fix their mistakes. .. it's been 10 years of this nonsense from Martinez. Though at least you can hope you'll replace him for the world cup while you still have a great squad.
Fernando Santos you mean. Martinez hasn't been 2 years with us yet. Martinez won't get sacked unless something abysmal happens like 0 wins.

They rightfully ended in Otto Rehaghel's pocket.

You dont think that Martinez will change his tactic against better teams? Taking out Cancelo for Palhinha for example?
He has to. This has been one of the worst formations I've seen from Portugal. Even Fernando Santos had some cohesion.

Most international managers are pretty low quality, normally because they can't get a job at club level.

Pick a balanced team with the best players possible and you're already doing better than most international managers.

I hated them. Our national team really struggled against them. The Stam versus Koller battle was fun though.

Also, did you leave the best one out? Where is Nedved!

Why are Portugal playing 5 defenders? Czech Republic not even attempting to cross into the other half.

The lady commentating on BBC isn't even attempting to hide her boredom.

You managed to name many of their players and still not include the holder of the ballon d’Or back then. Tells you how stacked they were…

Why does Ronaldo insist on trying to dribble past players. It's pointless.