Day 5 | Turkey vs Georgia | Portugal vs Czechia

18 crosses apparently. I wonder how many of those have been into an empty box.

Portugal controlling it and Czech tiring. Probably how they wanted it to play out? Had a couple good chances just not taken them.

Fair enough tactics for me, much better than England, France and Belgium for sure.

Portugal performing well under my expectations. With a squad like that, you must be doing better.

Bizarre playing 5 defenders when you have the midfield and forward talents Portugal do. They also look so static with Ronaldo in the side. I’d fear them much more without him. And Leao has been awful.

Nuno Mendes is having a mare.

I just don't see the point in having him on the field? Czechia have offered nothing outside their own half - Dias and Pepe are well able to deal with whatever threat they can pose. Then Dalot and Cancelo are providing the width (Cancelo has done more down the left side than Mendes) and Bruno, Vitinha and Silva creating and Ronaldo and Leao offering the threat on goal. What need of Mendes? All he's doing is providing the odd out ball and then giving possession away. Get another midfielder on beside Vitinha and let Bruno and Silva push closer to the box - then tell Ronaldo to stay in it.

Wide players from Portugal havent done enough. Leao has been frustrating, Silva just floating about but not really influencing anything. Could try Felix maybe as someone to play behind Ronaldo

My god this Czech side is negative. Lightyears from the days of Nedved, Rosicky, Koller, Poborsky etc

yeah, was just asking my friends what happened to their football.. 8 players from their own league right now

they had poborsky, nedved, koller, smicer, cech, baros, rosicky.. now no big star

Wide players from Portugal havent done enough. Leao has been frustrating, Silva just floating about but not really influencing anything. Could try Felix maybe as someone to play behind Ronaldo
I thought Leao did well. He needs to release the ball quicker, though.

Portugal will win this , not to impressed though . Any decent team with pace gets at them if this is anything to go by . Bruno been the pick so far.

We said Ronaldo held Portugal and United back 18 months ago, that’s not going to get any better as he ages even more.

Of course he can still score when he gets a chance, but I genuinely can’t see them winning the whole thing with him up front.

I quite honestly don’t understand Portugal’s system here. They have really solid fullbacks and they are struggling to use that width. Bruno and Bernardo would absolutely walk this lot with time and space.
The Martinez special. He will get destroyed by our media. Him being spanish will make it worse

I retract my thought that Portugal would do well. Martinez is still on his overly attacking shot with 0 defensive balance. Can't overload this many players going forward and not expect the better sides to take advantage. Go to a back 4, take out cancelo, put a DM next to Vitinha, and get a CF in for Ronaldo and then they'd do well

Not sure if Dallot has been told to do nothing but hug the touchline, but he has been an absolute passenger in the game. Has added nothing. Like he’s shellshocked at how boring the game is or something.

Portugal controlling it and Czech tiring. Probably how they wanted it to play out? Had a couple good chances just not taken them.

Fair enough tactics for me, much better than England, France and Belgium for sure.
Yes. Despite not scoring, the 'control' they have over this match is something England, France and Belgium didn't have in theirs.

Not sure why people are shitting on Portugal, they've looked the most dominant side I've seen at the tournament (missed the Germany game). The Irish pundits are slating the performance as well. When they knock in a couple of goals in the second half I'm sure people's minds will change.

The Portugal team is not balanced plus Czechia are not even attempting to play football. Going to be a tough watch.

Foden/Leao/Dembele , who's been the worst ? Leao has a chance for the 2nd half

Leao hasnt been that bad? He got past his man a few times but the final ball hasnt been great. If he had one shoe size larger he would have scored.

Dembele did everything wrong and Foden even missplaced sideways passes.

Foden/Leao/Dembele , who's been the worst ? Leao has a chance for the 2nd half

Rather Leao any day of the week instead of Bernado, who manages to do his usual dissapearing act every time he puts on a Portugal shirt.

Portugal need to get Jota on. His movement alone will help them. Also get rid of one of the CBs, put a midfielder on and bush Bruno more forward. They have too many players wanting the ball to feet and very little movement.

Not sure why people are shitting on Portugal, they've looked the most dominant side I've seen at the tournament (missed the Germany game). The Irish pundits are slating the performance as well. When they knock in a couple of goals in the second half I'm sure people's minds will change.
Because its boring possession without meaningful chances

Genuinely think Portugal would be a more cohesive side without having to play for Ronaldo’s tally and Ronaldo’s legacy. There’s always a feeling of them playing for him. Good to see a ref that isn’t buying their theatrics though.

Don`t think Portugals football works with Ronaldo up front anymore. It is so obvious the end goal of their build up is to find some space and time for Ronaldo inside the box. Would rather push Bruno and Silva further up instead.

Not sure if Dallot has been told to do nothing but hug the touchline, but he has been an absolute passenger in the game. Has added nothing. Like he’s shellshocked at how boring the game is or something.

Hard disagree. He has constantly been moving and offering a passing station. Bruno has used him alot.