Day 2: Spain vs. Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan94

And we only have to wait 50 minutes for another game! I love the World Cup!

LVGWay

That was proper Manchester United football, attractive, effective, relentless attacking football. Incredible performance from Holland, we're in for a real treat next season under Van Gaal, especially with football like that. Van Persie was stunning tonight, looked like the old Robin we all seen in 2012/13, and credit to Robben too, shame we probably won't sign him because him and Van Persie linked up superbly tonight and both looked very happy.

Reactions: crappycraperson

Banana007

Beautiful sight, the arrogant egos of Spain humbled didn't see it coming :eek: :D

A result that will be talked about forever, like Barcelona 5 Real Madrid 0

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
:lol: That volley by Robben was breath taking. He is 30 but he ran Ramos absolutely ragged with speed.
He was brilliant. This will probably be his last chance at the WC so he'll probably be more determined than ever to try and win it considering he's won pretty much everything else in his career.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wow! So the very few big/great players the Dutch team have have stepped up! RvP has shown everyone that when fit he still is one of the vers best, if not the best striker in the world. And fair play to Robben. In the last 2 years he has turned from a big game bottler into a real big game player.
Although I like Spain, I hope the laughable performance by Casillas will make it easier for DDG to take his place.
Also very happy for our new manager. So he might actually know what he is doing by being interested in some allegedly average young Dutch players within his Dutch squad, eh? Who would have thought?

Cina

Hopefully this will be enough reason for @Cina to discard them old morbid jeans of his. :)
It certainly was. I was cheering like a mad c*nt at those goals. I thought Spain would probably ease their way through the tournament so to get a curveball like that thrown in so early is brilliant.

Raul Madrid

I know he is a legend with Madrid and Spain, that is not in dispute. Of the top of my head, in the 20 years I've been watching the game I would rank Schmeichel, Khan and Buffon as truly great goalkeepers. I never put Casillas in that category despite him having a comparable or better career.

I view him in a similar light to Raul; both club legends at Madrid but transfer them to another club and I think neither would've risen to the level their club careers suggest they belong to.
Ok that is fair enough. Personally I would have him up there with those guys but we all view the game differently I guess.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
Robben tore them apart. I thought it was Pique he burst past but replay showed it was actually Ramos, brilliant from Robben all round. Pace, technique and composure.

Banana007

Del Bosque before the match.... and fuming afterwards.

Old man has lost his passion and needs to retire after the World Cup.

Lots of young Spanish coaches who deserve a chance. Someone who has balls to make the big decisions like drop Casillas.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ok that is fair enough. Personally I would have him up there with those guys but we all view the game differently I guess.
I'd put him in the category of great keepers. It just seems that the last couple of years he's started to believe his own hype, sadly.

NK86

He was brilliant. This will probably be his last chance at the WC so he'll probably be more determined than ever to try and win it considering he's won pretty much everything else in his career.
Also considering he was the one who screwed up that chance to win Netherlands the last WC.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I know he is a legend with Madrid and Spain, that is not in dispute. Of the top of my head, in the 20 years I've been watching the game I would rank Schmeichel, Khan and Buffon as truly great goalkeepers. I never put Casillas in that category despite him having a comparable or better career.

I view him in a similar light to Raul; both club legends at Madrid but transfer them to another club and I think neither would've risen to the level their club careers suggest they belong.
It's always been said that Cassillas is a lucky keeper, not a great one.

But then I suppose you make a good chunk of your luck by being in the right place at the time.

toonfan

I said before the game I didn't fancy Busquets - Xavi - Alonso in the middle - too static, no one making runs, not enough energy. I don't think Xavi or Alonso should be starting together (maybe they need Henderson :) ). Perhaps naive to think they'd have it all their own way against the Dutch. I would prefer to see Koke - Busquets - Iniesta in midfield with Pedro starting as well.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think that he is more on the category with VDS and Cech rather than with Buffon, Schmeihel and Kahn.

A great keeper in his best days, but on the last 2 years he has been very average and today was probably the worst performance I have ever seen from a keeper.

drab.

Spain were absolutely horrible. Playing Costa seemed to backfire massively - doesn't fit into the team whatsoever. They seemed exhausted as well, their movement and pressing was nonexistent.

Del bosque has a job on his hands now!

Holland were impressive though, hard to tell from that game but their pace will trouble anyone.

Banana007

Spain's dominance over World football is over ladies and gentlemen

Not just for this result but they have looked lacklustre for awhile. Time catches up eventually.

JefferiesTube

whoscored match ratings
10 Robben
9.3 van Persie
8.6 Blind
8.1 Janmaat
8.0 de Vrij
8.0 Sneijder
7.3 de Jong
7.1 Vlaar
6.9 Wijnaldum
6.9 Cillessen
6.7 Veltman
6.7 Iniesta
6.6 Alonso
6.5 Martins Indi
6.5 Silva
6.3 Lens
6.2 de Guzman
6.2 Azpilicueta
6.2 Costa
6.1 Fabregas
6.0 Pedro
5.9 Pique
5.9 Ramos
5.9 Busquets
5.9 Xavi
5.8 Torres
5.2 Alba
4.6 Casillas :lol:

Dylan94

Alcohol infused rubbish admittedly. Moyes is about 20 divisions below Van Gaal and the difference will be apparent in the First pre season friendly. The difference in quality is pretty astounding when you consider a club like United appointed such a no mark.
Yeah no I completely agree. I was just trying to work / imagine what you said out :lol:!

Status
Not open for further replies.