Day 2: Spain vs. Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
That result was absolutely insane. It's usually a hyperbolic statement to make but Spain really did capitulate. They started to feel sorry for themselves, they started making stupid mistakes and their concentration was shot to pieces. The dutch on the other hand were relentless in their destruction of that backline. It really says something when they were pressing for goal number six even in injury time while Spain were barely hanging on to a four goal difference. This is definitely going to drop Holland's odds dramatically. But let's not lose perspective here. This may have just been one of those days where everything goes right/wrong. Holland have to follow this up with another win. They've done the hard part, now it's time to finish the job and top the group. Still, they've set themselves up nicely.

Matador8

It certainly was. I was cheering like a mad c*nt at those goals. I thought Spain would probably ease their way through the tournament so to get a curveball like that thrown in so early is brilliant.
Tika Taka has definitely served its shelf life on recent evidence in various tournaments, and I'm fecking delighted with that. Counter attacking brilliance was in full flow tonight. Good to see.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Alcohol infused rubbish admittedly. Moyes is about 20 divisions below Van Gaal and the difference will be apparent in the First pre season friendly. The difference in quality is pretty astounding when you consider a club like United appointed such a no mark.
Seriously, he's been sacked. He's gone. Can you people not just let it go?

Raul Madrid

I think that he is more on the category with VDS and Cech rather than with Buffon, Schmeihel and Kahn.

A great keeper in his best days, but on the last 2 years he has been very average and today was probably the worst performance I have ever seen from a keeper.
I seriously think people are forgetting how good he was from 2000 to 2010. He has to play behind poor defences and was considered to be madrids saviour for many years, even been voted the player of the season when zidane and co were there. He is a goalkeeper that can single handedly win you a match (or save you in a match) like did in the wc 2010 final and the 2002 cl final. You don't last long at Madrid if you are not at a very high level even if you are homegrown as seen by how quickly the club wanted to get rid of raul and guti as soon as they were not good enough and didn't keep them on to play a sub role like gigs and scholes.

A1X

Hands up who wants to see a Spanish fan completely losing his shit on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/Cjon_Mc

BTW, did anyone else laugh their socks off at that Torres balls up right at the end. Cherry on the icing on the cake.

Saad K

Undergoing Verification
Is there any link to Henry's punditry? He's very good. There was a clip of him, Neville, and that tool Redknapp talking about the CL very early in the season.

Found it:

always makes me laugh redknapp. he's so out of his depth but tries to chip in with some top quality discussion "that boy costa, he looks good eh"

Revan

Assumptionman
The thing is Spain will win their remaining group games and get to the knockouts. After that it's anyone's tournament to win
If they'll beat Chile marginally and then Chile beats Holland * (assuming that all three teams defeat Australia) then Spain will be out regardless. Also, if they'll go on KO from the second place they have to place Brazil + referees. **

* Well, Holland can start with the second team in that match if they have ensured qualification and first place (ie. if they beat Australia). Why not eleminating a big rival if you have the chance?

** That would be amazing to see. For once, referees being against Spain.

johnmufc

I said before the game I didn't fancy Busquets - Xavi - Alonso in the middle - too static, no one making runs, not enough energy. I don't think Xavi or Alonso should be starting together (maybe they need Henderson :) ). Perhaps naive to think they'd have it all their own way against the Dutch. I would prefer to see Koke - Busquets - Iniesta in midfield with Pedro starting as well.
That midfield trio was imperious together in the last World Cup. Workhorses are not needed if they are able to keep the ball and dominate and dictate the match. Unfortunately, though, Xavi is finished, and there is really no one who can replace what he brings. Koke is a great talent, but is not 100% proven in a central role, and is not really the same type of player. Cesc is a complete disappointment compared to what he could have been, and Javi Martínez is not really suited to the way Spain play.

I would perhaps like to see Busquets and Alonso holding, and a fluid front four of Silva, Koke, Iniesta, and Pedro. Of course de Gea must start, and perhaps Juanfran in for Azpilicueta, who looked uncomfortable today.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
It wasn't me who initially brought him up, if you check a few posts back sir. :)
I know, but yours was the closest I could pick out without going back three pages.:D

Seriously though, he's been given his marching orders, we have a new manager in charge and yet people are still slinging mud like jilted lovers. Moyes' name is still being brought up around these parts and, frankly, it's getting a little old.

red_devil83

Remember the Dutch were amazing at that Euros a while back in the Group Stages. They slaughtered Italy and France and looked amazing...then got knocked out by Russia in the 1st knockout

Blackwidow

I cannot wait for next season. We've got to sign Robben though. I'm sure Louis can persuade him!
Actually - as a Bayern fan I am not one per cent scared that he would be able to lure him. Arjen has settled in Munich and he and his family just feel great there. He would have had a good chance 2 years ago - but not today.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
:lol: Watching the second half on DVR now. Commentators talking about wondering what Rooney thought of RVP's celebration after the first. Ian Darke suggested he might not like RVP being teacher's pet, but the other guy mentioned that Rooney was teacher's pet under Moyes.

Reynoldo

That really was just brilliant and so entertaining. Forgot for a while how much I love RVP and the relationship him and Van Gaal have with each other makes it feel like something really special could be brewing for next season. Another few performances like that and players will be begging to play for us come the end of the tournament.

(Oh and sign as many dutch players as you like Louis)

Status
Not open for further replies.