Day 2: Spain vs. Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
They're 'boring as feck' because of how the opponents approach them.
It certainly isn't just the opposition's fault IMO - it's a two way thing. There have been numerous dominant sides who force the opposition to defend and counter who are not as boring as Spain. Thinking about it now, they are probably the most boring 'great' side I have watched.

Their football revolves around the slow tempo retention of possession, which too often does not make for great viewing. It's too safe and risk averse.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
True, but the teams putting ten men behind the ball against spain are taking no risks either.
Well I usually think that it's the responsibility of the better side, the one that dictates the tempo, to actually make some chances. Plenty of other teams have teams park the bus against them, yet they find ways to not make it a bore fest. Your Madrid for example, so many team park the bus against you lot yet Real Madrid is arguably the most exciting team in the world.

Raul Madrid

Well I usually think that it's the responsibility of the better side, the one that dictates the tempo, to actually make some chances. Plenty of other teams have teams park the bus against them, yet they find ways to not make it a bore fest. Your Madrid for example, so many team park the bus against you lot yet Real Madrid is arguably the most exciting team in the world.
I wish that were the case but one of the big reasons we lost the last two la ligas is because we have been unable to deal with teams parking the bus. Under mourinho in his last season we were particularly bad. We have gotten better in possession under ancelotti but we still struggle a lot when we have to take the initiative in matches. Our better performances in the cup and the cl was when we were hitting teams on the break.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
No surprises in the line-ups. First look says Spain have considerably more quality. The Dutch would have to compensate some other way. I can't see them winning though. A draw is the best they could hope for.

ottosec

What's up with the Nederlands goalkeeper? He has like 70 senior appearances in his career and he's 25 lol. How does he get to play ahead of Worm and Krull? What is it with LVG and goalkeepers?

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
this is gonna be a great match

Only the winner to go through to the next round, so should be played like a final. :cool:

ps. im thinking Spain gonna take the win

sammyvine

It certainly isn't just the opposition's fault IMO - it's a two way thing. There have been numerous dominant sides who force the opposition to defend and counter who are not as boring as Spain. Thinking about it now, they are probably the most boring 'great' side I have watched.

Their football revolves around the slow tempo retention of possession, which too often does not make for great viewing. It's too safe and risk averse.
I don't see why people moan so much about their football
Their aim is to win games and that is what they do/

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Busquets, Xavi and Alonso is such a boring and slow midfield.

bosnian_red

They moan because it's boring. Truly great teams that endear themselves to all fans win with style, not win 1-0 and then play keep away for the rest of the game.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
I'm excited to over-analyze everything about the way Holland are set up in order to draw easy conclusions about how van Gaal will set United up.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
What are you talking about? We're in a thread discussing Spain's football, it isn't moaning to say that you don't find it entertaining. You seem very sensitive.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
They moan because it's boring. Truly great teams that endear themselves to all fans win with style, not win 1-0 and then play keep away for the rest of the game.
Arsenal's Invincibles were perfectly fine with a nil nil draw than to lose one nil.

dutchred

What's up with the Nederlands goalkeeper? He has like 70 senior appearances in his career and he's 25 lol. How does he get to play ahead of Worm and Krull? What is it with LVG and goalkeepers?
He had a great season at Ajax while Vorm has been injured a lot and he is ceratinly better than Krull.

Sam

The Dutch lineup?
Netherlands: Cillessen, Vlaar, De Vrij, Martins Indi, Blind, De Jong, Janmaat, De Guzman, Van Persie, Sneidjer, Robben

I don't even know who the keeper is, anyone?

Stocar

It certainly isn't just the opposition's fault IMO - it's a two way thing. There have been numerous dominant sides who force the opposition to defend and counter who are not as boring as Spain.
Name one in last 20 years. Ajax has the best shout IMO, but they didn't last long and are probably record holders in passing backwards. France or Brazil NT weren't really dominant teams.

Modern football is ruthless and cynical. Any truely dominant side is destined to face stifling and defensive opposition.

bastip92

Excellent Spanish team, would have prefered Villa instead of Costa though. I think they're doing well by playing the old guard again. For me they're still heavy favourites to win the WC along with Brazil maybe.

Raul Madrid

Arsenal's Invincibles were perfectly fine with a nil nil draw than to lose one nil.
True, all though to be fair I wouldn't consider that arsenal team to be one of the great teams. Certainly nowhere near barca or spain.

JefferiesTube

Netherlands: Cillessen, Vlaar, De Vrij, Martins Indi, Blind, De Jong, Janmaat, De Guzman, Van Persie, Sneidjer, Robben

I don't even know who the keeper is, anyone?
One of the best performing GKs in Europe this season :p

JefferiesTube

ROBBEN - VAN PERSIE
SNEIJDER
BLIND - DE JONG - DE GUZMAN - JANMAAT
MARTINS INDI - DE VRIJ - VLAAR
CILLESSEN

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Someone wanna throw those names into a formation?
Vrij, Martins and Vlaar are the 3 CB's. Blind and Janmaat the wingbacks. De Jong is the holding player, De Guzman will play box to box and Sneijder will play behind RVP. 5-3-2

Stocar

Plenty of other teams have teams park the bus against them, yet they find ways to not make it a bore fest. Your Madrid for example, so many team park the bus against you lot yet Real Madrid is arguably the most exciting team in the world.
Prime Barca probably had even more shots, chances and goals per game than current Real team. Yet somehow they were more boring. I guess some people like more erratic and direct game (I don't), but I fail to see how is attacking and technically brilliant football 'boring'. I guess it doesn't resemble Playstation enough.

sammyvine

huh i disagree

they don't have to endear themselves to anybody. All they need to do is win and collect trophies

bosnian_red

Prime Barca probably had even more shots, chances and goals per game than current Real team. Yet somehow they were more boring. I guess some people like more erratic and direct game (I don't), but I fail to see how is attacking and technically brilliant football 'boring'. I guess it doesn't resemble Playstation enough.
Barcelona weren't boring at their best. They were brilliant to watch and with messi and iniesta through the middle, villa or etoo in the side as well, they were just great to watch. Spain on the other hand use the possession in a defensive manner. Technically brilliant, of course, but by no means is it attacking football. The current Spain side is much more hellbent on possession and are less penetrative or creative then Barcelona is, a large part down to messi, but still. With the talent they have, they can easily win playing in a much more entertaining fashion and playing at a faster pace, taking more risks going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.