Day 2: Spain vs. Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I understand there was a lot of criticism back in Holland over how the Dutch played Spain in South Africa, we'll see if Van Gaal does much differently tbh. Because I'm not so sure they're equipped to do things much differently

Okocha119

Can't really see anything besides a spanish victory happen here. This Netherlands side is nothing but average. I seriously doubt that they'll be able to survive the group stage, but then again I don't quite rate Chile as much as everyone else apparently does. I expect Spain to walk over this group like it's toilet paper. In a very boring fashion though, as usual. I seriously don't know what Del Bosque did to Spain. I used to love watching them under Aragones. Maybe I just got used to them, being bored by Spain always winning, but I do have fond memories of the spanish squad in 2006 while being practically bored to death in 2010.

Anyways, 1:0 victory for Spain. Same procedure as every year.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
The Netherlands side looks worse than the 2012 team and they got knocked out of the group easily. The only real hope for them is Robben in my opinion, and to a certain extent RVP if he decides to turn up. The midfield of Spain is just 2 classes above Hollands, especially with Strootman out, and the defense of the Netherlands has always been really shaky.

I think I would also say Chile are favorites going in the game against Holland, Netherlands will have a very hard time to get out of the group.

Mezano

The Netherlands side looks worse than the 2012 team and they got knocked out of the group easily. The only real hope for them is Robben in my opinion, and to a certain extent RVP if he decides to turn up. The midfield of Spain is just 2 classes above Hollands, especially with Strootman out, and the defense of the Netherlands has always been really shaky.

I think I would also say Chile are favorites going in the game against Holland, Netherlands will have a very hard time to get out of the group.
The current squad is a more talented than the 2012 Van Marwijk team which in was also negatively affected by infighting. Defense is built around a single club team and has been solid during both qualifying and the recent friendlies.

Van Gaal is also a vastly better tactician than Van Marwijk. He could go all Mourinho by sitting deep, or pack the midfield like De Boer did against Barcelona this year. It's hard to predict.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Do we think Mata will start for Spain? I'd be going:

--------Casillas--------
Azpilicueta Ramos Pique Alba
-----Alonso--Iniesta-----
---Mata---Koke---Silva---
--------Diego Costa-------

Might be a crazy line up but hey. Really think Spain may win the World Cup again judging by Brazil last night who weren't special.

Stocar

He just falls down everytime he can fall down. Some players actually try to stay on their feet but as soon as Busquets has a chance to hug the grass he does so. After he has fallen down he is almost always simulating some extend of pain and looks very annoyed at the other player and hopes the ref gives a yellow. He's just nasty and has very low sportsmanship. He is a great player though.

I am quite sure he will make some horendus dives again but only at crucial moments. He just is that kind of player.
I watch every single Barcelona match, and very rarely I see Busquets dive. After all, he is defensive player. He is a master of drawing fouls though and genuinely gets fouled a lot.

He doesn't dive any more than Xavi or Iniesta and really isn't a dirty player. His NT partner Xabi Alonso is much more vile for example. I don't understand the hysteria surrounding him, many many worse players out there.

In Barca, Fabregas and Sanchez, for example, are horrible divers. Bashing Busqeuts because he once exaggerated a contact 4 years ago is just a form of mass media retardation.

gofelx

Supports
Hamburgers
The current squad is a more talented than the 2012 Van Marwijk team which in was also negatively affected by infighting. Defense is built around a single club team and has been solid during both qualifying and the recent friendlies.

Van Gaal is also a vastly better tactician than Van Marwijk. He could go all Mourinho by sitting deep, or pack the midfield like De Boer did against Barcelona this year. It's hard to predict.
RVP came into the Euros after his best season at Arsenal.
VDV was a lot better than he is now
Sneijder was still at Inter and didn't play in the Turkish League yet.
MVB was part of the squad

Have to admit I don't know much about their defense, but it really doesn't look good on paper. I hope they surprise me but I can't see it, everybody had high expectations in 2012 and they crashed out with 0 points, now they don't look like they've improved in a major way.

Oh and it's not like Holland was unimpressive in the qualifiers prior to the Euros, they got comfortable wins as well. A WC game is just a completely other story.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

--------Casillas--------

Might be a crazy line up but hey. Really think Spain may win the World Cup again judging by Brazil last night who weren't special.
Nah, the chances of Mata starting are basically 0. It'll be Koke and Mata out for Busquets and Xavi, possibly Silva out for Pedro too but I'd expect Silva.

I watch every single Barcelona match, and very rarely I see Busquets dive. After all, he is defensive player. He is a master of drawing fouls though and genuinely gets fouled a lot. He doesn't dive any more than Xavi or Iniesta.

Fabregas and Sanchez, for example, are horrible divers. Bashing Busqeuts because he once exaggerated a contact 4 years ago is just a form of mass media retardation.
Couldn't agree more. Busquets gets a hard time, his reputation was justified years ago but he's really toned his playacting down over the past few seasons.

Jerzol78

I like both teams, but prefer Netherlands to win. Just so that Spain was second in the group would meet and eliminate Brazil at the first stage of playoffs.

ManUnitedLover

2-0 to Spain in my opinion, although it will be interesting to see how Holland play, Costa will be vital.

Hopefully Mata plays a part, we may even see de Gea, he seems to be pushing Casillas all the way for the starting spot.

van Persie and Robben the obvious threat for Holland.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

--------Casillas--------

The only chance Xavi doesn't play is if he is injured.

bastip92

Is Diego Costa a certain starter for Spain? Haven't watched them for some time, but Villa always seems to do well for Spain.

kolli

If everything goes right for Holland they are in for a surprise here. I really like van Gaal's flexible 5-3-2 system and think that the team will play a lot better
than the names in the starting eleven suggest.

Holland will sit deep and try to absorb Spain's pressure and with Robben they have one of the best players in the world to play counter attacks. Hope the offense
with van Persie and Sneijder will click and maybe Jeremain Lens or Memphis Depay can create one or two chances when they'll come on against tired legs.
Won't be easy, but I'm going for a 1-0 victory for Holland

wythyred

Whats to hate about Spain?

The fact they pass too much?
Boring football is the tip of the ice berg for me

the arrogance of players such as Xavi & Iniesta, and cnuts like Diego Costa who should be in the brazil squad and then Fabregas & Ramos plus a lot of there players come from the European football bullies Barcelona.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I understand there was a lot of criticism back in Holland over how the Dutch played Spain in South Africa, we'll see if Van Gaal does much differently tbh. Because I'm not so sure they're equipped to do things much differently
You're talking like Spain is the most entertaining and attacking side in the world. I am not one of those "Oh Spain is so boring" people, I actually like them and I think they'll win the tournament, but they are actually very defensive team considering how much possession they have.

Thisistheone

I'm hoping for a Netherland's win with van Gaal's 532 causing Spain some problems. Similar to Italy in the 2012 opener.

red_hatz

Really hope Netherlands can pull off a shock here but I think the most likely result is a comfortable 1 or 2 nil win for Spain. Though Netherlands will be hard to break down they will get through eventually. All this talk about the dutch being set up for the counter which no doubt they are with the formation, but they don't seem to have the actual pace they need to be effective. Yes they have depay and lens but both will start on the bench it seems, the wingbacks will be stuck defending and aren't that pacey. Though I guess the side is pretty technical so maybe they can conjure up some opportunities. De jong to get sent off this time round?

Zoo

Van Persie and Robben will have free reign up front to do what they want. Hopefully they'll be able to torment Ramos and Pique.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
You're talking like Spain is the most entertaining and attacking side in the world. I am not one of those "Oh Spain is so boring" people, I actually like them and I think they'll win the tournament, but they are actually very defensive team considering how much possession they have.
I don't agree with that perspective at all and we can see the sit back, soak up pressure and wait to counter is the new movement in football after possession based footy has dominated for so long. It's on Del Bosque, Barcelona etc. to adapt to the new defenses to their style of play but it isn't boring because of it but as a consequence of what defenses due to combat it

Spain have to be sharp, fluid and relentless. If they can get Costa or someone to score reliably then they will win the tournament but that's if they can put it all together again. I thought they showed the requisite desire of a champion at Euro 2012 when many were already bringing up the possession based footy is dead argument. I think they are ultimately going to get undone by more lethal attacking sides

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I grew up in Holland and have a Spanish wife. My kids have Spanish passports (but only because they cost 20% of the cost of a UK one). Who to support? I just can't decide........head says Spain, heart says Holland. Better not tell the wife...........

Mezano

It will be a lot less scrappy and I'm sure. Many fans felt the team betrayed the the Dutch style of play in the final. A counterattacking side doesn't have to be ugly and cynical.

RVP came into the Euros after his best season at Arsenal.
VDV was a lot better than he is now
Sneijder was still at Inter and didn't play in the Turkish League yet.
MVB was part of the squad

Have to admit I don't know much about their defense, but it really doesn't look good on paper. I hope they surprise me but I can't see it, everybody had high expectations in 2012 and they crashed out with 0 points, now they don't look like they've improved in a major way.

Oh and it's not like Holland was unimpressive in the qualifiers prior to the Euros, they got comfortable wins as well. A WC game is just a completely other story.
The writing was on the wall in the latter stages of the qualifying campaign in 2011. The match against Sweden was the turning point where the team started to come apart.

Sneijder is now more fit than he has been in years. Van Gaal went mental on him, stripped him of the captaincy and threw him off the team until he sorted out his fitness issues. I'm sure that will put the fear of god in any slackers at United.

Van Persie has been useless for Holland until Van Gaal took over and built the squad around him and Robben.

No MvB and VdV is simply a blessing. VdV is even more a defensive liability than Sneijder, and both can only play on 10 anyway. MVB was far past his best in 2012.

Stocar

I really fail to see how can someone blame Spain for that. It's all about their opponents - Spain plays with their defense set very high and if any team that dares to go at them, you will have the most exciting game.

Them suffocating the game is just the consequence of having to deal with defensive and opportunistic teams. It would be more fun if they took more risks, but why would they? They also have right not to be naive, and it's not them killing the game in first place.

Besides, even without end to end action, their technical excellence is joy to watch by itself.

Stadjer

No MvB and VdV is simply a blessing. VdV is even more a defensive liability than Sneijder, and both can only play on 10 anyway. MVB was far past his best in 2012.
Mark van Bommel was one of the best players in the squad.. i wish he was in the current squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.