Day 19: Brazil vs Mexico and Belgium vs Japan

Japan aside, Belgium deserve some praise, excellent mentality to comeback in such a short team, they did well and exploited the physical advantage in both goals, the last goal was a great counter.

Their flanks are shite though and they need to solve it before playing Brazil. This game gonna be a cracker and I'm not sad of it happening.

Feel bad for Japan but very naive from them. They were never going to score from a set piece against Belgium. Should have played those final few seconds out

What's the point, he is 6 ft 6 ". He catches most crosses on his 6 yard box. Every team does it against him, it is baffling.

More baffling given that the Belgians are Massive compared to the Japanese. It was odd to cross it in.

Japan managed periods so well then did that. Crazy.

Exactly. That corner was some stupidity.

Well at least Belgium should be more capable of beating Brazil. The only good thing i can take from this. Feeling for Japan. Heartbreaking defeat.

This was a game of winners: Japan with taking it to Belgium, Belgium with the great comeback, Fellaini with the equalizer and changing the game, Courtois with the save and the distribution, and Chadli with the game winner!

Belgium are still frauds. They'll be brazil's easiest game of the torunament, like they were for argentina 4 years ago
I thought maybe Belgium would show up, but with Martinez there I agree with this.

Lol, How this thread changed. It went from Belgium can destroy Brazil to the opposite.

Chadli MOTM.
Carrasco has been really underwelming.
Witsel is just ridiculously average.
Belgium had a really snobish attitude. Japan, what an effort though!

Brilliant game but such a shame for Japan. They deserved extra time.

Was Hazard even on for the second half?

Heartbreaking stuff for Japan. Kagawa, Inui, Honda, Okazaki, Hasebe, basically half their midfield/attack is probably too old for the next world cup. This was their chance.

And the conspiracy theorists thought it would be a easy game for Belgium :lol:
It would if Martinez is not tactical stupid. We all know pure physical play would work well against Japan, and it did, but it took 0-2 down until Martinez to realize.

Not complain about the roller coaster of a game though. More of the same is welcomed

Man that was heartbreaking. Is Martinez a now considered a genius? Makes a couple of subs they both score.
He shouldn't have been in that position in the first place. The tactics were wrong from the beginning. He fixed his mistakes which deserves some credit but it took until they were 2-0 down to start pressuring Japan.

I don't make the rules. If you lose a WC knockout game like that your country must retire in shame forever.

Or the losing team could just sacrifice a player to appease the football gods

Mettle of Champions they say. Big hard to come back from 2 down. Even though it was a bit of naivety from Japan at the end there, Belgium always believed they could get back in this game. It just needed 1 goal, and that's exactly what happened.
I think Belgium vs Brazil is going to be better than if it was Japan.
On we go...

Could be a fun match against Brazil but like others here if you see what Japan was able to do against Belgium s back line you d assume Brazil will waltz all over that.

Possibly some of the best 45 minutes of football I’ve watched. If ever there was a match neither team deserved to lose.

Have to feel for the Japanese. Ironic after they were so cautious in the previous round, they get stung for being positive

Saying that, it was literally a perfect counter attack. There were enough players back but the movement and release of the ball was lethal.

Well at least Belgium should be more capable of beating Brazil. The only good thing i can take from this. Feeling for Japan. Heartbreaking defeat.

It’s the opposite for me mate. I haven’t been impressed by Belgium today at all. I can see Brazil dispatching them quite comfortably. Belgium won’t be able to go route 1 and dominate Brazil in the air like they did Japan.

Well, that was entertaining.

Very likeable, this Japan side. Got guts - and plenty of flair too.

Impressive comeback from Belgium, though, has to be said. That's the sort of thing that can give you real momentum.

Fella to make Neymar cry next.

Even though I still sort of dislike them, for no very good reason. Could be Hazard, possibly, something about him has always annoyed me.