Day 12 | England v Slovenia + Denmark v Serbia | France v Poland + Netherlands v Austria

RoyH1

yep. and the rest of europe owes us the money our economy is losing because of brexit. allowing us to host every tournament would go some way to them repaying the damage they’ve caused us.
Sound argument :lol:

Charlie Foley

Anyone else think it's really stupid that hypothetically Poland and Ukraine could go out on 3 and 4 points but some teams could go through on 2 points?
Yes and no. even if it were “top 2 go through” you could still have a huge disparity between groups. In theory you could finish on 2 points and finish second in your group (team A wins all their matches, everyone else draws the remainder). You could also finish on 6 points and finish third (team 4 loses to everyone, team 1 beats team 2 and loses to team 3, team 2 beats team 3). I don’t remember either of these situations happening but they’re mathematically possible

So it’s not the difference I have a problem with. I have more of an issue with third places teams going through at all.

We need a 32 team Euro and none of this would be an issue.

I don't understand what's the big deal about adding 8 more teams on the tourney.
Should go back to 16 teams. I think that is a much better solution that avoids this gimmicky group stage. (I think 32 out of 55 teams making the tournament is too many for the same reason I think 16 qualifying from a group stage round of 24 teams is too many)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They're not.

The mid-tier European national teams are basically interchangeable. The likes of Norway, Wales, Iceland, Ireland, Bosnia, Greece etc. could easily fill the next 8 spots and they have the potential to be a tough game for anybody. It's not like San Marino would suddenly qualify for Euro.

When it comes to mid-tier Euro countries, it all depends on their form. If they click they all have potential to do well and even advance deep in the tournament.

Even if some of the NTs turn out to be duds and get smashed 5-0, this happens on WC all the time as well and no one cares. I'd rather add some potentially bad teams than have this weird tournament format.
I agree on the quality but we might need to rethink the qualification process in that case, because you're basically playing 10 games or so just to eliminate the dwarf nations like San Marino, Andorra, Liechtenstein et al because there's no way the big (and even medium) countries don't qualify if it's 32 teams. Think there are 56 European national teams, might be better to give the "first 16" based on some ranking auto-qualification for the next tournament and let the other 40 play for the remaining 16 spots in that case (which is still almost a 50% chance at qualification).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Should go back to 16 teams. I think that is a much better solution that avoids this gimmicky group stage. (I think 32 out of 55 teams making the tournament is too many for the same reason I think 16 qualifying from a group stage round of 24 teams is too many)
While I agree with the sentiment, I do find it refreshing to see teams like Georgia at the Euros who otherwise wouldn't be there at all 95% of the times, and their fans are really up for it as well. Taking that thought away as someone from a country like England, Germany, Spain, France or Italy, I'd agree that 16 is more than enough yeah.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Apparently England have been working on high pressing in training.

I'm not sure if you can learn that in a few days but let's see.
(Almost) all English players are used to doing that for their clubs. It's not like they need to learn something fundamentally new, but it's just that they need to learn how to do it together. Considering that (most of) the English players are not stupid morons I think there is a good chance that it could be implement on a decent level, if it is competently planned by a smart coach.

So yeah, it's not going to happen.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
I’m away in welsh wales on my jollies. The local pub is showing the match so going to go down there and watch it. Debating whether to wear my England shirt or not

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
(Almost) all English players are used to doing that for their clubs. It's not like they need to learn something fundamentally new, but it's just that they need to learn how to do it together. Considering that (most of) the English players are not stupid morons I think there is a good chance that it could be implement on a decent level, if it is competently planned by a smart coach.

So yeah, it's not going to happen.
Under Southgate, no chance. It will be a disjointed attempt from the front. The so called build up play also break down starting from Pickford. He will kick the ball long every single time.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Koeman is dull as feck. Simons looked decent against France, surprised he's dropped him today.

jesperjaap

I thought our result agains Denmark and the performance was actually a positive as it forced Southgate to make changes

Conversation with a friend after I gave my opinions on what was wrong and what he could and may do to change it. Not going into mass details with tactical analysis....but there were four different things I thought he may do...one scenario was awful,one decent, one good and one perfect.......

SoI am hearing rumours tonightthat he is making one change Gallagher for Trent......ffs.....yes that was the awful one. If this is his tweak/plan b......we are out very early in the knockout changes...."he can press and brings energy".....yep and wha else, its atually worse than playing Trent thereand solves nothing in terms of the high left back right footed problem, integrating Foden or getting our midfield and attack to flow.

If I see tha line up tonight, Im as good as done with us inthis tournament AND that is majorly down to cretinous management

KC91

Don't know the standings, which is the better early game to watch?
Austria vs Netherlands. Both teams have a shot at top in the group. Whereas Poland is already out, and France is only playing for top spot in the group.

Matt Varnish

Hello Sailor.
I’m away in welsh wales on my jollies. The local pub is showing the match so going to go down there and watch it. Debating whether to wear my England shirt or not
A lot depends on where you are, the further west or north you go the less welcome you will be in that shirt, years ago they were burning cottages owned by the English.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I would say this depends entirely on where in Wales you are.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What are Netherlands playing for? Any favourable draw they can secure?

Or could this be a Disgrace of Gijón energy-conserving kickabout to allow both team to progress?

Stadjer

Or could this be a Disgrace of Gijón energy-conserving kickabout to allow both team to progress?
I believe first place or third place are the easier draws.

We are already progressed so no need for us to make any plan to progress

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Winning the group is about as favorable a draw you can get.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
Of course I predict Griezmann and Simons as first scorers and neither starts :mad:

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
What is Koeman doing leaving Simons, Frimpong, Dumfries on the bench. He's as clueless as Southgate

Red Stone

Second place means they play the runner-up from Belgium's group. It could well be Belgium if even if both Belgium and Slovakia win given their loss against Slovakia, but I'd fancy Romania to get at least a point while Belgium win their game, which puts Romania in second.

If Netherlands lose here and finish third they don't know who they'll play until the third place table is set in stone, but it'll be either Spain or one of the winners from groups C and E. England and Belgium are the most likely at this point.

Betting on Belgium topping the group is worthwhile, and if that's the case I'd fancy my chances way more against Romania than Spain, that's for sure. They could get lucky and draw England, but it isn't worth the risk.

Last edited:

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Don't know the standings, which is the better early game to watch?
Austria vs Netherlands. The former are a well oiled machine that could cause some upsets.

France have been horrible to watch and Poland are just poor.

Stadjer

What is Koeman doing leaving Simons, Frimpong, Dumfries on the bench. He's as clueless as Southgate
Simons has never really played well for our national team. Dumfries has a very minor injury and could play but it isnt needed today. Koeman sees Frimpong as an attacker and prefers Malen today.

Wish Koeman played Malen instead of Memphis and still played Frimpong though

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I believe that I hate Dembélé.

Pentagruel

Is Holland even playing? This is astonishing how badly they are getting dominated.