Davide Petrucci

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
No it's not so far off the mark. He stood out for the reserves, but even the likes of Jonny Evans or Park in the first team could do things he is capable of. He wouldn't have stood out technically at all in the first team, but he would have had to in order to make up for what he lacks in other areas (the way Scholes did and does)

And I'm not saying he lacked technical ability, I'm saying it wasn't good enough to make up for other shortfalls in his game.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
No it's not so far off the mark. He stood out for the reserves, but even the likes of Jonny Evans or Park in the first team could do things he is capable of. He wouldn't have stood out technically at all in the first team, but he would have had to in order to make up for what he lacks in other areas (the way Scholes did and does)

And I'm not saying he lacked technical ability, I'm saying it wasn't good enough to make up for other shortfalls in his game.
I guess we are simply going to have to disagree then because to me that bit I have bolded is again far off the mark

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
There is absolutely no way that Evans and Park can hit a football or pick a pass like Eikrem. Was a pretty Beckham-esque type player for our reserves in terms of his attributes, really.

To be honest, the biggest kick in the teeth about the whole Gibson saga was that his place in the first team was probably at the expense of Eikrem. Eikrem may not have made it here (I was convinced at one point that he would, though!), but it would've been good to see him afforded the chances that Gibson was. Physique and was probably a factor, but it's nice to hear that he's now doing so well under Solskjaer even though he's still young.

PS18

I guess we are simply going to have to disagree then because to me that bit I have bolded is again far off the mark
Agreed, don't get that at all. I'm as big an Evans fan as you'll find but he isn't as good a player as Magnus technically, not even close.

Don't agree that Gibson was better in the reserves either to be honest - Gibbo never shone in the reserves like he did for the 18s for me.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I also think people went overboard regarding Eikrem and whilst in the newbies I got caught up in arguments about this. Whilst he was obviously a good player, he didn't have enough about him for me and I never felt he was worth a shot in the first team.

His technique in passing was good, but not to an extent where it'd set him apart at first team level.

KingEric7

Gibson was better in the reserves than Eikrem was at the same age.
Regardless of whether or not this is true (not for me, it isn't), I'm not sure it detracts from the original point that Gibson's place in the first team (which, looking back, didn't amount to much throughout or at the end) basically prevented Eikrem from getting any playing time with the first team whatsoever.

Saying that, it could be argued that, if the coaching staff and Sir Alex thought he was good enough, he would've been picked regardless of who was ahead of him in the pecking order. It'll be interesting to see how he develops, nonetheless.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Regardless of whether or not this is true (not for me, it isn't), I'm not sure it detracts from the original point that Gibson's place in the first team (which, looking back, didn't amount to much throughout or at the end) basically prevented Eikrem from getting any playing time with the first team whatsoever.

Saying that, it could be argued that, if the coaching staff and Sir Alex thought he was good enough, he would've been picked regardless of who was ahead of him in the pecking order. It'll be interesting to see how he develops, nonetheless.
The coaching staff obviously saw something in Eikrem that made them think that he wasn't up to standard. Eikrem now plays at a relatively low level. I don't know if he is taking the Norwegian league by storm or not but so far it looks like the coaching staff were right. On the other hand Gibson is playing at a much higher level than Eikrem, it would be hard to argue against the coaching staff on current evidence.

I am often baffled by how highly some young prospects get rated on here. Possebon and Obertan are two recent players that spring to mind, they always looked a long way away from being Manchester United players to me yet many posters were convinced that they would scale the heights of World football!

KingEric7

Eikrem was one of the most important players in Molde's league win last year by all accounts. Still, like we've said, perhaps had the coaches seen him as good enough to make it here, we would've tried harder to hold onto him.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Was most definitely in the matchday squad today, 100% sure I saw him.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
That's good for him, nice to see his progress has been recognised by SAF, I hope this means Pogba isn't definitely off though.

Levo

Band of Brothers
I wondered if it was him when I saw him, checked the subs and he wasn't listed so was unsure.

How good is he looking for progression into the first team? Used to watch all the U18's and Reserve highlights off youtube when Girish2 provided them.

Mick1991

I haven't watched as much as I usually do this season, but from what I've seen he has really upped the defensive side of his game. He gets in opponents faces, tackles, takes up good defensive positions......he has also stretched out a lot.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I'd love to see him on the bench on Thursday, it'd cap off what's so far been a perfect season for him. No injuries, sharper and sharper performances for the ressies, called up to Italy U21s and in the traveling squad this weekend. Couldn't have gone much smoother, long may it continue.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I've loved his performances recently - scoring, creating and generally running games for the reserves, though he is now probably slightly older than most due to the time he missed with injury.

I've been hoping some hack at the press conferences might actually mention him to Sir Alex; he seems to get no attention compared to Morrison and Pogba (though that could be a good thing).

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Make the bench against Bilbao? If we are taking it serious I doubt he will.

He has improved massively though and was good to see Joyce single him out for praise. Some had worried about his path at the club, whether the injuries meant he wouldn't make it, he is dragging himself back up the pile.

pocco

loco
Make the bench against Bilbao? If we are taking it serious I doubt he will.

He has improved massively though and was good to see Joyce single him out for praise. Some had worried about his path at the club, whether the injuries meant he wouldn't make it, he is dragging himself back up the pile.
It remains to be seen as to how serious we are taking it. So far we have used these games to bring back all our injured players and we fielded a second string team in the second leg against Ajax. If reports are to be believed, Pogba was down to feature too.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
He's been very good in Reserves, but please, don't make him The Second Pogba or The Third Morrison now.

His time will come.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
He's been very good in Reserves, but please, don't make him The Second Pogba or The Third Morrison now.

His time will come.
Good luck with that. Someones got to fill the void.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Would love to see him involved. I doubt he'll get a look in mind.

I was very very worried for the lad with such a horrific injury. Not just for his United career but his career in football at all.

Great to see him back, on form and enjoying himself.

cj_sparky

It was nice to see him in the travelling party, he's had a horrid time over the last couple of years with injury and it is great to see his recent performances getting noticed. I thought he was going to get a look in against Palace in the Carling cup after a good performance for the reserves.

It has been nice to see how he seems to get stuck in more, I thought that he might struggle with that side of things and mentally not want to get involved that way after his injuries. But he has really looked good this season.

If his contract is up in the summer, it would be well worth offering him a new deal and then trying to get him a loan.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Something of the forgotten man, those of us that look with excitement to the youth set-up may well have to look Petrucci's way as the most exciting young midfielder in the squad. Along with Tunnicliffe of course.

It would also be something of a small dream of mine to see a United player in the Italian National team.

pocco

loco
Something of the forgotten man, those of us that look with excitement to the youth set-up may well have to look Petrucci's way as the most exciting young midfielder in the squad. Along with Tunnicliffe of course.

It would also be something of a small dream of mine to see a United player in the Italian National team.
As much as I admire Tunnicliffe for his full-blooded approach to the game, I have serious reservations about the actual footballing side of it. I'm not putting much hope into him.

Hopefully Petrucci does get a chance soon enough. He is the best young midfielder that we now have, though I'm not sure what the club intends on doing with him due to his contract situation and the fact that we never seem to talk about him.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As much as I admire Tunnicliffe for his full-blooded approach to the game, I have serious reservations about the actual footballing side of it. I'm not putting much hope into him.

Hopefully Petrucci does get a chance soon enough. He is the best young midfielder that we now have, though I'm not sure what the club intends on doing with him due to his contract situation and the fact that we never seem to talk about him.
In our reserves, maybe.

You're not seriously saying he's the best young midfielder at the club?

PS18

Depends how you're defining young really (and 'best' I guess - best now or best prospect).

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Depends how you're defining young really (and 'best' I guess - best now or best prospect).
I'd struggle to call Tom Cleverley anything other than young, by any definition. Although that might be just me showing my age.

I would agree that Petrucci seems to be the best central midfield prospect playing regularly for our reserves (assuming Pogba is off). Feck knows who's the best young prospect if you include academy regulars. I wouldn't dare try to make predictions about players as young as Daehli or Januzasj (I can barely even spell their names!)

pocco

loco
I'd struggle to call Tom Cleverley anything other than young, by any definition. Although that might be just me showing my age.

I would agree that Petrucci seems to be the best central midfield prospect playing regularly for our reserves (assuming Pogba is off). Feck knows who's the best young prospect if you include academy regulars. I wouldn't dare try to make predictions about players as young as Daehli or Januzasj (I can barely even spell their names!)
Best youngster or non first team player. Potentially, I'm not sure who the best is. But Petrucci is obviously better than the likes of Daehli & co. right now.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Best youngster or non first team player. Potentially, I'm not sure who the best is. But Petrucci is obviously better than the likes of Daehli & co. right now.
I still think Larnell Cole is the boy, and will end up as a very good centre midfielder.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
Although it is irritating to lose Pogba, we have an amazing wealth of midfield talent in our youth ranks.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I still think Larnell Cole is the boy, and will end up as a very good centre midfielder.
I'd argue given position it should Ben Amos, unless you already consider him a first teamer.

If so, I think Will Keane looks the most accomplished for his position of the reserves. Goal machine (I say while he's in the middle of a mini-drought)

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
With Will Keane, it's as much about his all-round game as his finishing, though he is normally good in front of goal. Both the Keane brothers are promising, Petrucci is now too good for the reserves, and we have Tunnicliffe and Cole coming through, with the likes of Rothwell, Barmby, Daehli and Januzaj in the next group. None of these are 'amazing' or as close to dead certs as Morrison or Pogba were, talent-wise, but let's hope all have better attitudes.

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
With Will Keane, it's as much about his all-round game as his finishing, though he is normally good in front of goal. Both the Keane brothers are promising, Petrucci is now too good for the reserves, and we have Tunnicliffe and Cole coming through, with the likes of Rothwell, Barmby, Daehli and Januzaj in the next group. None of these are 'amazing' or as close to dead certs as Morrison or Pogba were, talent-wise, but let's hope all have better attitudes.
I thought Daehli and Januzaj were meant to be brilliant talents? I don't really wary much academy football so I'm going on hear say. Also I always hear good things of the likes of Barmby too.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
It is amusing watching everyone migrate to the Petrucci thread looking for their next muppet youth obsession.