Davide Petrucci

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I haven't watched much of the reserves, so could anyone tell me how good has Petrucci been actually? Also, what to expect?
He's been excellent, for me it's between him, Lingard and the Keane twins for Reserve POTY. Hard to say what to expect, he's had a really long layoff prior to this season with a hip problem. He's got excellent feet and an eye for a pass, he also has a more than capable engine and isn't afraid to put his foot in. The most important thing for him right now is just to keep playing week in, week out.

JayWalker

Ball Spotter
Still got the blues for you.. RIP The Loner. Hull
He's been excellent, for me it's between him, Lingard and the Keane twins for Reserve POTY. Hard to say what to expect, he's had a really long layoff prior to this season with a hip problem. He's got excellent feet and an eye for a pass, he also has a more than capable engine and isn't afraid to put his foot in. The most important thing for him right now is just to keep playing week in, week out.
Cheers.

I remember the hip problem. But now that you've seen him after the lay-off, does he seem worse off, same or better off than before? Expectations in the sense, what would you, you being someone who has watched him regularly dictate as his course of action?

I is sorry for bombarding you with so many questions but I'm curious. :D

ArmchairCritic

Cheers.

I remember the hip problem. But now that you've seen him after the lay-off, does he seem worse off, same or better off than before? Expectations in the sense, what would you, you being someone who has watched him regularly dictate as his course of action?

I is sorry for bombarding you with so many questions but I'm curious. :D
Seems fine, it's hard to say how the injury has affected him because he grew a fair bit in that time, however it doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on him as a player at all. My action for him depends on Pogba's actions somewhat, best idea is to get him on loan somewhere and playing competitive Football week in, week out. Got an excellent passing range, needs Football to make up for the time he's missed through injury though. I won't elaborate on my expectations for him just yet after what happened with Ravel :D.

Baxter

Seems fine, it's hard to say how the injury has affected him because he grew a fair bit in that time, however it doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on him as a player at all. My action for him depends on Pogba's actions somewhat, best idea is to get him on loan somewhere and playing competitive Football week in, week out. Got an excellent passing range, needs Football to make up for the time he's missed through injury though. I won't elaborate on my expectations for him just yet after what happened with Ravel :D.
The thing that has impressed me most is the way he has adapted to a deeper lying role in midfield, rather than the more advanced role he had previously. He definitely has talent, and it is a shame he was basically injured for 2 years, as I reckon he would have been on the fringes of the first team at least. A Championship loan would be great for him, and we would see how he can do in a highly competitive league.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
if true then screw you "he who shall not be named", we've got another young hope.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
michael carricks long term replacement. very similar players. in some respect the role carrick plays for us and how we are moulding petrucci restricts both players ability to score/create goals

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Wouldnt mind putting him on the bench and give him 10 mins when we are 3-0 up instead of Pogba

mboRa ndomHer0723

Just saw this article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/duncan_castles/04/19/petrucci/index.html

Petrucci considers Old Trafford exit

Manchester United face the prospect of losing another jewel of their academy system to freedom-of-contract departure. Italy under-21 international Davide Petrucci is considering leaving Old Trafford at the end of this season to take up one of a number of lucrative offers to return to his home country.

Two leading Serie A clubs are understood to have proposed contracts worth significantly more than the wage Petrucci has been offered to continue his career at United. The attacking midfielder, likened to Francesco Totti at his first club AS Roma, is also being pursued by several Premier League sides.

Should Petrucci ultimately decide to move outside the English game, United can expect to receive no more than €360,000 ($472,750) in training compensation for the four seasons the 20-year-old has spent with them. His case mirrors that of France youth international Paul Pogba, whose Old Trafford contract has also been allowed to run down.

As Petrucci was acquired from Roma to consternation from his parent club, Pogba was cherry picked from Le Havre's youth ranks. Though Pogba progressed as expected at United, the club failed to secure him to a full first-team contract, inviting attention from overseas.

Late last year the Italian agent Mino Raiola was invited to canvas offers for the athletic midfielder, eventually securing a lucrative salary and commission with Juventus. Sir Alex Ferguson's efforts to persuade Pogba to reconsider the move to Italy - including direct advice from Rio Ferdinand, selection for the first team, and a stint training alone -- have failed to convince him to sign a contract extension.

Petrucci's own progress at United had been hampered by a persistent groin problem that took 18 months to fully resolve. This season, however, the fit-again Italian has developed rapidly, being appointed captain of the reserve side and selected for the traveling squad for March's Premier League victory at Tottenham Hotspur.

Used by Italy at every youth international level, Petrucci made his debut for Ciro Ferrara's under-21 side in January. Ferguson subsequently promoted him to train with the first team, where the playmaker has continued to impress.

United originally signed Petrucci as a 16-year-old in the summer of 2008, exploiting a well-used loophole in Italy's soccer regulations that prevented clubs from signing players to professional contracts before they reach the age of 17. At the time Roma's academy director compared Petrucci's enticement to Real Madrid's pursuit of Cristiano Ronaldo.

"They complain about Ronaldo and then did the same thing with Davide," said Bruno Conti. "His father Stefano has disappointed me. I will not be told any more lies. As for the boy, I wish him all the best in the world."

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Just read his latest interview.
You were on the bench for the first team as part of the travelling squad at Tottenham, although you weren’t a substitute...
Yes, I travelled with the team and that was such a great experience. That was my dream – to play for the first team – so that’s been my target and I want to achieve that. Hopefully I can have more chances. The next step up will be to be on the bench and making my debut would be my dream.

Do you feel settled in Manchester?
I love it. I really love it. It’s just the weather! I still don’t like the weather because I like the sunshine. I think if you had the Italian sunshine here, you would have the best part of the world. It’s not always sunny in Rome, but it’s definitely more sunny than here.

You gave an interview in Italy in which you said you were absolutely determined to make it at United. Is that true?
It’s my dream. I would love to play for United. That is my aim and my target for the moment. That's the reason why I left home at 16. [It was brave] leaving without my family, but Kiko helped me a lot. Everything was new for me, however I wanted to play for United so badly – so badly – that’s why I did it.

Do you think United is genuinely a family club?
Everyone is so friendly that they make you feel at home. The first time I came here, it felt like home. That’s why I enjoy it here and why I want to play here.
Honestly that doesn't feel like anyone who wants to leave us.

Will Absolute

That article is probably speculative, but it wouldn't be surprising if it were true.

He's been careful to say all the right things, but it must be frustrating for Petrucci to see a younger player, his inferior in the reserves, given opportunities, while he's been ignored. If United want to hold on to it's talented foreign youth, it can't assume they'll wait patiently for their chance as English and Irish kids have traditionally done.

So far our 'gather the best young talent from around the world' policy has produced one first teamer - Rafael.

If we can't keep them there's not much profit in recruiting them (we may make a few shillings, I suppose).

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
That news report is a bit shite to say the least. 'Considers Old Trafford exit' but then just goes on to speculate that a few other clubs are interested in him, with no quotes from anyone except one from some Roma gimp from 4 years ago.

I'd rather go by what i've seen and heard from the player himself anytime i've seen him interviewed on MUTV. He comes across fantastically well. Really down to earth, modest and grateful. Absolutely in love with the club as far as i can see. He's staying, i'd bet my bollocks on it.

Cutch

That article is probably speculative, but it wouldn't be surprising if it were true.

He's been careful to say all the right things, but it must be frustrating for Petrucci to see a younger player, his inferior in the reserves, given opportunities, while he's been ignored. If United want to hold on to it's talented foreign youth, it can't assume they'll wait patiently for their chance as English and Irish kids have traditionally done.

So far our 'gather the best young talent from around the world' policy has produced one first teamer - Rafael.

If we can't keep them there's not much profit in recruiting them (we may make a few shillings, I suppose).
He's only finding his feet after being out injured for the last 2 years. He's just grateful to be playing football of any kind. I'm sure he's delighted at how many games he's played this season injury free for the reserves and next season he'll be looking to build on that, maybe on loan. He's certainly not been ignored by the club. He's been reserve team captain, and has made the bench and travelled with the squad for a few premier league games. Theres no reason for him to be frustrated/impatient at this moment in time.

Will Absolute

That news report is a bit shite to say the least. 'Considers Old Trafford exit' but then just goes on to speculate that a few other clubs are interested in him, with no quotes from anyone except one from some Roma gimp from 4 years ago.

I'd rather go by what i've seen and heard from the player himself anytime i've seen him interviewed on MUTV. He comes across fantastically well. Really down to earth, modest and grateful. Absolutely in love with the club as far as i can see. He's staying, i'd bet my bollocks on it.
If he's hoping for a first team opportunity, he's hardly going to say the place is a shithole, is he?

Players change clubs all the time when a better opportunity arises. Why do fans think we should be exempt?

Will Absolute

He's only finding his feet after being out injured for the last 2 years. He's just grateful to be playing football of any kind. I'm sure he's delighted at how many games he's played this season injury free for the reserves and next season he'll be looking to build on that, maybe on loan. He's certainly not been ignored by the club. He's been reserve team captain, and has made the bench and travelled with the squad for a few premier league games. Theres no reason for him to be frustrated/impatient at this moment in time.
He's twenty years old and was already on the path to first team football when he was at Roma 4 years ago. I doubt very much that he's thinking 'I must wait till I'm 22 because of the couple of years I missed with injury.'

He looks 'hungry' for the reserves, and is clearly impatient to make up for lost time and progress his career.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Interesting bit of mind-reading there. Plucked out your arse but there you go.

He always seems like a level-headed lad. Doubt he'll be knocking on Fergie's door demanding first-team football until he's got another year or two of football under his belt. The kid doesn't need to a born and bred Mancunian to appreciate what an amazing opportunity it is to potentially play for Manchester United.

buckooo1978

its quite strange to have the rumours about guys like Morrison (i know his case was more related to off field behaviour), Petrucci, Fryers and Pogba circulating this season like they did....

this never seemed to happen in the past with the twins, rossi, pique etc.... they all came young and signed contracts

are we witnessing a change in player power? is it all press speculation?? has there been a change in the club in terms of signing young players to contracts??

ArmchairCritic

He always seems like a level-headed lad. Doubt he'll be knocking on Fergie's door demanding first-team football until he's got another year or two of football under his belt.
There's a reason why he's reserve team captain.

Cutch

If he's hoping for a first team opportunity, he's hardly going to say the place is a shithole, is he?

Players change clubs all the time when a better opportunity arises. Why do fans think we should be exempt?
Yeah but theres not one thing to suggest he wants to leave except an article that says a few clubs might be after him. No quotes, feck all. So why should i think he's lieing in his interviews and take this report as gospel?

He's twenty years old and was already on the path to first team football when he was at Roma 4 years ago. I doubt very much that he's thinking 'I must wait till I'm 22 because of the couple of years I missed with injury.'

He looks 'hungry' for the reserves, and is clearly impatient to make up for lost time and progress his career.
He was probably on the path to first team football here also before injury struck a couple of years ago, but the circumstances have changed. He's currently playing catchup but the signs so far are positive. From what we've heard he's just delighted to be playing regularly and on the fringes of the first team so soon after returning from so long out. Next season he'll be looking to push on and in 12 months time if he's no further on maybe then he'll be looking to move.

Will Absolute

He always seems like a level-headed lad. Doubt he'll be knocking on Fergie's door demanding first-team football until he's got another year or two of football under his belt.
It's based on knowledge of human nature, common sense, and observation. This is a player who came to United with large expectations, and I don't think he'll be happy to wait till he's 22 for - perhaps - an opportunity to play first team football.

It's very obvious on the pitch that he's a young man in a hurry. For instance, he was never noted for his tackling but since he came back from injury he's been ferocious. He's wants to impress, and wants to do it now.

It seems no amount of bitter experience will convince you that every young players dream isn't to wait patiently in the shadows of OT, until Fergie deigns to bring him into the light.

Cutch

It's based on knowledge of human nature, common sense, and observation. This is a player who came to United with large expectations, and I don't think he'll be happy to wait till he's 22 for - perhaps - an opportunity to play first team football.

It's very obvious on the pitch that he's a young man in a hurry. For instance, he was never noted for his tackling but since he came back from injury he's been ferocious. He's wants to impress, and wants to do it now

It seems no amount of bitter experience will convince you that every young players dream isn't to wait patiently in the shadows of OT, until Fergie deigns to bring him into the light.
Of course he's in a hurry, he's been out injured for 2 years missing tonnes of football and watching his mates on the fringes of the first team. Also with his contract running out he had to show the club he's recovered from his injury troubles and that he merited a new one.

Why do you have to be so sceptical. All the signs from the player is he wants to stay, the club no doubt wants him to stay, and theres absolutely no reason to think otherwise unless you want to believe the speculative bullshit article above, and even then all its about is other clubs interested!

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

It's very obvious on the pitch that he's a young man in a hurry. For instance, he was never noted for his tackling but since he came back from injury he's been ferocious. He's wants to impress, and wants to do it now.

What "bitter experience" is this then?

Every young player who's left so far has been someone Fergie was happy to let go.

Will Absolute

Of course he's in a hurry, he's been out injured for 2 years missing tonnes of football and watching his mates on the fringes of the first team. Also with his contract running out he had to show the club he's recovered from his injury troubles and that he merited a new one.

Why do you have to be so sceptical. All the signs from the player is he wants to stay, the club no doubt wants him to stay, and theres absolutely no reason to think otherwise unless you want to believe the speculative bullshit article above, and even then all its about is other clubs interested!
I'm in a false position here :) I'd expect him to give it another year as well.

All I'm saying is that if those rumours are true I wouldn't be too surprised. He hasn't been given much encouragement to expect a quick promotion to the first team at United - and first team football is clearly his goal - so if a club in his homeland did offer him more money with the promise of a first team chance, I'd expect him to leave. Why would he stay under those circumstances?

Cutch

I'm in a false position here :) I'd expect him to give it another year as well.

All I'm saying is that if those rumours are true I wouldn't be too surprised. He hasn't been given much encouragement to expect a quick promotion to the first team at United - and first team football is clearly his goal - so if a club in his homeland did offer him more money with the promise of a first team chance, I'd expect him to leave. Why would he stay under those circumstances?
Being a contrary cnut then :smirk:

Do you seriously think he expects to be any closer to the first team at this moment in time given his situation. I'd say he's surprised how near he is to be honest, being reserve team captain and training/travelling with the squad. I'm sure if you offered him that position 12 months ago he'd have snapped your hand off.

jb8521

From everything I've heard about him and from him he seems like a very level headed lad who is confident enough in his own ability to believe he can make it at United and is willing to do everything he can to make that happen. For all we know he could have even more of a love for the club due to the way his injury was dealt with, a lot of clubs would have perhaps pushed him to come back before he was ready but from what I've heard United allowed him extra time and support to give him the best chance of a full recovery.

LLMU

its quite strange to have the rumours about guys like Morrison (i know his case was more related to off field behaviour), Petrucci, Fryers and Pogba circulating this season like they did....

this never seemed to happen in the past with the twins, rossi, pique etc.... they all came young and signed contracts

are we witnessing a change in player power? is it all press speculation?? has there been a change in the club in terms of signing young players to contracts??
I think it is because they are Man Utd young players. When it is Man Utd, the press will circle them liek a vulture. We don't seem to see paper writing about young players from other clubs with their contracts running down and how big clubs in the PL are looking at them.

Neutral

BTV
Wait why would Petrucci be frustrated about 1st team opportunities. He basically spent 2 years out of football...this is his 1st season back, and thankfully he managed to stay fit and perform well.

But there is no question of him feeling flustered because his inferiors have had an opportunity with the 1st team, and he hasn't. His injury record is to blame for that.

Ferguson

Maybe we have to pay these guys what they are worth.

Lots of clubs are sniffing around because there is lots of talent in the reserves.

ben_foster

On Loan to Watford
I don't think he's similar to Carrick at all, nor do I think the role he's playing for our reserves restricts his ability to score goals. He spends a lot of time in and around the box in every game he plays.
yeah for the reserves he can still get forward alot but he is definatley being groomes into a deep lying playmaker type like carrick is. as you say, he's not restricted in the reserves but if/when he breaks into the first team he will be. Obviousley at first he will get a bit of a free licence, possible in a 3. But long term i think we are definatley grooming him into that role