David Moyes Unemployed | European Champion

They've known Rice was gone for 6/7 months and that they were getting at least 80M but they look completely lost and stunned.
Amateurish stuff, they will be blowing their fecking bubbles in the Championship next year.

On top of the rest they're apparently due to change ownership at some point which doesn't help. To no one's surprise, the current boss is not particularly rated by the fans.

Conquering the C3 maybe bought Moyes some more time. Even in winning, he stumbles into being inconvenient for his employers !

Last edited:
If they have any sense go to french, dutch league players for cheap.They are in europa league so need players in quantity. If they spend large on pl players they will be in trouble.

The more he and West Ham dither more are the chances they would panic buy both Maguire and Mctominay for the inflated fees at the end of the window. I thought they were nailed on to get JWP now it is off the table too. Absolute clowns.

They've known Rice was gone for 6/7 months and that they were getting at least 80M but they look completely lost and stunned.
Amateurish stuff, they will be blowing their fecking bubbles in the Championship next year.
Dithering Dave is cocking up the transfer window? Colour me shocked!

It's just a shame Fellaini isn't still around so they can buy him for twice his buyout fee when that expires on deadline day.

Dithering Dave is cocking up the transfer window? Colour me shocked!

It's just a shame Fellaini isn't still around so they can buy him for twice his buyout fee when that expires on deadline day.
Don't remind me. I still have PTSD from that day.

West Ham's quiet transfer window has bugger all to do with Moyes,

Hilarious to see that some think it does!
He would have come up with the targets along with the technical director, up to the technical director to then get the players to sign, this hasn't happened.

JWP is far from their first choice target which means they've been rebuked by other clubs for their original targets.

He would have come up with the targets along with the technical director, up to the technical director to then get the players to sign, this hasn't happened.

JWP is far from their first choice target which means they've been rebuked by other clubs for their original targets.
Hilarious that you reckon everybody on here’s an idiot but you.

Are you able to tell us why you are apparently such an expert on West Ham’s internal operations?

Think there is a power struggle going on at West Ham in terms of recruitment and they are not happy supporters.

What is laughable is that WH are trying to low ball offers for players when everyone knows they’ve got a pot of gold after the sale of Rice. What’s even more surprising is that they didn’t get players lined up before completing the inevitable sale of Rice.

Moyes will pay the price though with his job eventually. They are currently weaker than last season now that their best player has gone and they struggled in the league last year. They’ve got lots to do before then.

We are happy to help though…..McTominay/Maguire/Donny - take your pick?

Hilarious that you reckon everybody on here’s an idiot but you.

Are you able to tell us why you are apparently such an expert on West Ham’s internal operations?
Comments like 'Dithering Dave is cocking up the window' says it all surely!?

A club/technical director comes up with a list of targets along with the manager, it's then up to the negotiation team to do the rest, the manager is relatively helpless in that respect.

Do you really think JWP is their first target?
Doesn't take a genius to know he isn't.

Think there is a power struggle going on at West Ham in terms of recruitment and they are not happy supporters.

What is laughable is that WH are trying to low ball offers for players when everyone knows they’ve got a pot of gold after the sale of Rice. What’s even more surprising is that they didn’t get players lined up before completing the inevitable sale of Rice.

Moyes will pay the price though with his job eventually. They are currently weaker than last season now that their best player has gone and they struggled in the league last year. They’ve got lots to do before then.

This is always an issue when a DOF comes in with a manager in place. It'll resolve itself when they get a reason to sack Moyes and the DOF gets to bring in his head coach.

They don't have a pot of gold though.

They are on the FFP watchlist and so only have a small part of the Rice money to play with, hence not wanting to spend more than circa £20m on a player at a time.

12 months ago you could have swapped in Bournemouth and Forest for Luton and Sheffield and nobody would have argued with you. Promoted teams usually come out with a bit of fight about them.

The Hammers start away at Bournemouth who have strengthened, and you would fancy to at least get a point at home if not win outright and then they face Chelsea and Brighton before an away trip to Luton. They could roll up to Kennilworth road without a point on the board and even if they get something there they then face City. I can easily see them copying Leicester as @RedSky mentioned and managing 1 point from their opening 7 games.

As established clubs Wolves and Everton are in far worse states to get relegated. West Ham will scramble a few 1-0s from set piece goals early on and just plod along in mid table, maybe sneak into top 10 as I think it will be a pretty poor standard below 9th this season.

There's a reason Ward-Prowse hasn't been picked up yet, and it's because he's a shite free-kick merchant.

He'll be a late window panic buy at best for any PL club.

West Ham score about 90% of their goals from corners and wide free kicks.

If they have any sense go to french, dutch league players for cheap.They are in europa league so need players in quantity. If they spend large on pl players they will be in trouble.
That's what mid table club with limited resources should do. Sometimes I wonder if West Ham has scout network outside of England.

That's what mid table club with limited resources should do. Sometimes I wonder if West Ham has scout network outside of England.

They're looking at Zakaria (Juventus), Alvarez (Ajax) and Fofana (AS Monaco). Supposedly Ekitike at PSG too. But it's true that a lot of their supposed links are in the UK already.
Long held interest for a City player, Borges, but he's going to Ajax.

Besides no player being signed and more leaving, all the noise points to a club not doing well internally... I reckon the longer it goes on, the more likely they emergency sign Maguire (and McTominay ?). Only club to really have showed interest we know of, unless I am mistaken.
They would still need a LB, CM and CF besides.

They've signed Paqueta, Scamacca, Kehrer, Aguerd and Areola in the last summer window. The idea that West Ham doesn't sign players outside of England is weird.

We live in hope.

I know we say it's not on the manager to do the transfer dealings, but this is all eerily reminiscent of his summer with us isn't it? And we weren't the ones who nicknamed him Dithering Dave.

Nothing's ever Dave's fault of course. Every Chairman, Ceo, Dof and Director he's worked under has failed him.

The fact that Dave is the common denominator between them all and their combined dithering is pure coincidence.

Nothing's ever Dave's fault of course. Every Chairman, Ceo, Dof and Director he's worked under has failed him.

The fact that Dave is the common denominator between them all and their combined dithering is pure coincidence.
Not sure exactly what you're getting at here?

Under Moyes last season they made nine transfers....

They get a new technical director in to oversee transfers this window and look what happens!

Couple that with a distinct lack of funds and you have a helpless Moyes and a lack of transfers.

The more he and West Ham dither more are the chances they would panic buy both Maguire and Mctominay for the inflated fees at the end of the window. I thought they were nailed on to get JWP now it is off the table too. Absolute clowns.
There’s something quite ironic about this after he panic bought Fellaini for an inflated fee at United.

Comments like 'Dithering Dave is cocking up the window' says it all surely!?

A club/technical director comes up with a list of targets along with the manager, it's then up to the negotiation team to do the rest, the manager is relatively helpless in that respect.

Do you really think JWP is their first target?
Doesn't take a genius to know he isn't.

The bloke contributed to about 15 goals last year in a really poor Southampton side. West Ham only scored something like 40 in the entire team. I think that alone is probably a large part of the reason Moyes wants him, in our dour formation a MF contributing to 15 goals either through goals or assists is hugely important.

He is 100% a Moyes player, I've heard that from someone within the club itself that much (I'm not in the ITK by any means, but I know someone fairly high up in the West Ham youth system on the coaching side so I do hear bits and pieces that slip into general conversation.)

Moyes also has a veto within the transfer committee. I think in reality he is going to have to make compromises to his desire for a strongly British core this window as the costs are absurd

This transfer window has all the hallmarks of a David Sullivan special, underbidding for players, nickle and diming every possible option, agreeing bids then leaving the player for weeks as we try and look at other alternatives. Moyes probably doesn't help with that either, especially when the players he wants are probably 50% higher than what in reality they should be cost wise.

The other reason West Ham are going for homegrown players is the homegrown rule. We are now in a position where it is limiting squad size so we do have to get a couple in, even if we lose a couple of the non-HG players soon. Another reason why JWP is wanted, and also one of the main reason why Maguire is wanted as well from what I've heard. If he wasn't HG we'd not even look at him for the costs suggested.

The bloke contributed to about 15 goals last year in a really poor Southampton side. West Ham only scored something like 40 in the entire team. I think that alone is probably a large part of the reason Moyes wants him, in our dour formation a MF contributing to 15 goals either through goals or assists is hugely important.

He is 100% a Moyes player, I've heard that from someone within the club itself that much (I'm not in the ITK by any means, but I know someone fairly high up in the West Ham youth system on the coaching side so I do hear bits and pieces that slip into general conversation.)

Moyes also has a veto within the transfer committee. I think in reality he is going to have to make compromises to his desire for a strongly British core this window as the costs are absurd

This transfer window has all the hallmarks of a David Sullivan special, underbidding for players, nickle and diming every possible option, agreeing bids then leaving the player for weeks as we try and look at other alternatives. Moyes probably doesn't help with that either, especially when the players he wants are probably 50% higher than what in reality they should be cost wise.

The other reason West Ham are going for homegrown players is the homegrown rule. We are now in a position where it is limiting squad size so we do have to get a couple in, even if we lose a couple of the non-HG players soon. Another reason why JWP is wanted, and also one of the main reason why Maguire is wanted as well from what I've heard. If he wasn't HG we'd not even look at him for the costs suggested.
My point was JWP was definitely not your first choice.
It's was clear a move for Phillips from City was your first choice but that was a non starter, also it would appear that McT proved too expensive for you judging by numerous reports from a month ago and so that too was scrapped leading to the third, possibly forth choice in JWP.

For sure Moyes has a say in transfer targets, most manager work alongside the technical/footballing directors to come up with a list of first, second third choice targets etc.
My point there being that Moyes isn't to blame for the technical director not being able to get the deals over the line.
Nor is he to blame for West Ham not having the cash due to FFP restrictions.

Mental that they didn't have a signing in place before letting Rice leave. Will cost Moyes his job and West Ham their PL place I think.

Not sure exactly what you're getting at here?

Under Moyes last season they made nine transfers....

They get a new technical director in to oversee transfers this window and look what happens!

Couple that with a distinct lack of funds and you have a helpless Moyes and a lack of transfers.

Poor Dave, he's so unlucky. Same thing hapened to him at United. Woodward didn't sign any of his very reasonable targets for him. Ronaldo, Bale, Fabregas etc and ruined his big chance.

Next job after that the director at Sociedad only spoke Spanish and no one told Dave. At Sunderland they got relegated but it wasn't Dave's fault because they were a mess and nearly got relegated the season before and the board didn't back him either.

My point was JWP was definitely not your first choice.
It's was clear a move for Phillips from City was your first choice but that was a non starter, also it would appear that McT proved too expensive for you judging by numerous reports from a month ago and so that too was scrapped leading to the third, possibly forth choice in JWP.

For sure Moyes has a say in transfer targets, most manager work alongside the technical/footballing directors to come up with a list of first, second third choice targets etc.
My point there being that Moyes isn't to blame for the technical director not being able to get the deals over the line.
Nor is he to blame for West Ham not having the cash due to FFP restrictions.

I know categorically that JWP is *one* (I don't know about Phillips, may have been paper talk though) of Moyes first choice through a contact I have within the youth system (I'm not ITK mind you, I just hear certain things from them, I'm sure they know much more but I'd probably be told to F off if I asked!). We have however been putting feelers out for many players for some time now as its been obvious Rice was off for some time.

FFP restrictions aren't really much of an issue at the moment, but we do basically have to spend what we make now. So at the moment we probably have a budget of 120m that needs to stretch over quite a few possible targets.

Moyes is being very stubborn over targets he wants, and basically feels like he has a right to get the choices he wants after the cup win and the last 3 years in general. The problem is those players value have vastly inflated this summer beyond what Sullivan feels comfortable paying (total packages of 50-70m on players who are getting on a bit age wise), and it doesn't help that our new technical director thinks much of the signings Moyes wants are way overpriced versus what you can find in Europe.

As a primer in how poorly we are being handled, we have a 4 man transfer committee, with Moyes going one way (British), the new technical director pulling a different way (European) , Moyes having an effective veto on the other choices, Sullivan basically underbidding everyone because he isn't sure who to trust so wants to just get 'bargins' and spread the money out more rather than or a few expensive players but they don't exist right now really. All of this is why absolutely nothing is getting done. The ultimate buck likes with Sullivan here for not backing one or the other of them with proper bids, instead he is just half-arsing everything.

We've basically got a "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" type scenario going on and its absurd.

Poor Dave, he's so unlucky. Same thing hapened to him at United. Woodward didn't sign any of his very reasonable targets for him. Ronaldo, Bale, Fabregas etc and ruined his big chance.

Next job after that the director at Sociedad only spoke Spanish and no one told Dave. At Sunderland they got relegated but it wasn't Dave's fault because they were a mess and nearly got relegated the season before and the board didn't back him either.
It's OK to dislike Moyes mate, but don't let it cloud your judgement!

Is JWP not a realistic target? I think he is. Phillips was pretty realistic especially on loan, so was McT, but unfortunately for Moyes they have been priced out for that and Phillips didn't want to move.

Don't think any of this can really be levelled at Moyes.

I know categorically that JWP is *one* (I don't know about Phillips, may have been paper talk though) of Moyes first choice through a contact I have within the youth system (I'm not ITK mind you, I just hear certain things from them, I'm sure they know much more but I'd probably be told to F off if I asked!). We have however been putting feelers out for many players for some time now as its been obvious Rice was off for some time.

FFP restrictions aren't really much of an issue at the moment, but we do basically have to spend what we make now. So at the moment we probably have a budget of 120m that needs to stretch over quite a few possible targets.

Moyes is being very stubborn over targets he wants, and basically feels like he has a right to get the choices he wants after the cup win and the last 3 years in general. The problem is those players value have vastly inflated this summer beyond what Sullivan feels comfortable paying (total packages of 50-70m on players who are getting on a bit age wise), and it doesn't help that our new technical director thinks much of the signings Moyes wants are way overpriced versus what you can find in Europe.

As a primer in how poorly we are being handled, we have a 4 man transfer committee, with Moyes going one way (British), the new technical director pulling a different way (European) , Moyes having an effective veto on the other choices, Sullivan basically underbidding everyone because he isn't sure who to trust so wants to just get 'bargins' and spread the money out more rather than or a few expensive players but they don't exist right now really. All of this is why absolutely nothing is getting done. The ultimate buck likes with Sullivan here for not backing one or the other of them with proper bids, instead he is just half-arsing everything.

We've basically got a "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" type scenario going on and its absurd.
As far as I am aware, and you will know better than me, but FFP is a big concern, you are on the 'watchlist' which means your outgoings will be purely based on the incoming fees (Rice) minus the £30m you are over the FFP limits by, which would give around £70m.
This would appear to be not far from the truth if the £20m or so offers for the players you've been linked with are to be believed.

Who do you think you'll end up with?

You have a few really good young players who seem to be ready for a bit of first team action but you certainly need more especially with European football again.

As far as I am aware, and you will know better than me, but FFP is a big concern, you are on the 'watchlist' which means your outgoings will be purely based on the incoming fees (Rice) minus the £30m you are over the FFP limits by, which would give around £70m.
This would appear to be not far from the truth if the £20m or so offers for the players you've been linked with are to be believed.

Who do you think you'll end up with?

You have a few really good young players who seem to be ready for a bit of first team action but you certainly need more especially with European football again.

The watchlist is basically a nothing burger.

All it says is that IF 2020 and 2021 was counted (the covid years) all those clubs would have failed UFEA FFP. 2020 was a bad year for West Ham, 2021 was thankfully far better thanks to a good prem season.

However 2020 and 2021 both don't count and 2020 will never count (2021 will count going forwards in the 3 year average). We will be absolutely fine based on profit in 2021 and 2022. We did have a huge splurge in 2022, and I think that goes much further in explaining our cautious nature IMO.

I do think though that West Ham don't have huge sums beyond what we make from sales (I'd guess sales + 20-30m) but our finances can easily stretch to the players we want, should we actually get past the internal problems that seem to be plaguing us right now.

What your seeing is simply Sullivan doing his usual attempt at getting "one-over" the other chairmen/teams when it comes to transfers so he can claim a bargin, he has been doing it for years.

West Ham are just repeating the mistakes other club chairman have made previously by creating a club recruitment structure that isn't in-sync with the manager. United did the same when they revamped the scouting department in 2016 and brought in Mourinho who wanted to sign players independently from the club's newly formed recruitment structure.

So Woodward was then forced to create a transfer committee to appease both sides and gave each side a veto. What then ensued was a battle between the first team manager and scouts, with the scouts vetoing Mourinho targets like Maguire. Mourinho was then sacked and Solskjaer was hired and chose Mike Phelan to advise him in his role, and it was under Phelan at Hull where Maguire first came to prominence and was given the captaincy. Phelan would also go on record and state that clubs nowadays had too much money hence the need for large data science teams and scouting teams and he trusted his own judgement above else due to him having been there and done it. So it was easy to see why the football structure couldn't evolve under such a mindset.

West Ham need to quickly find a compromise between Moyes and the new technical director or things are going to get pretty bad. If there isn't alignment between everyone working on the football side of the club, you're basically fecked. The most logical and proven way to develop a football structure is for someone from within the football structure to make the hiring and firing calls when it comes to the head coach and other people involved at developing the structure.

This is extremely bad for West Ham and the blame purely lies with the person(s) who hired the technical director without having a plan on how the new technical director will work with the existing head coach/manager.

Last edited:
They've signed Paqueta, Scamacca, Kehrer, Aguerd and Areola in the last summer window. The idea that West Ham doesn't sign players outside of England is weird.
Caftards have stereotypical views on English clubs which if somebody were to say things similar about Spanish or Italian teams would be deemed as bigoted.

Caftards have stereotypical views on English clubs which if somebody were to say things similar about Spanish or Italian teams would be deemed as bigoted.

Weird comments here imo. Moyes has made them qualify for Europe three seasons in a row now and won them their first trophy in 43 years. I guess he's earned enough goodwill there to get his targets.

It's OK to dislike Moyes mate, but don't let it cloud your judgement!

Is JWP not a realistic target? I think he is. Phillips was pretty realistic especially on loan, so was McT, but unfortunately for Moyes they have been priced out for that and Phillips didn't want to move.

Don't think any of this can really be levelled at Moyes.

Dislike Moyes? Never, sure everyone loves the guy these days.

Whether or not the targets are realistic is irrelevant it seems. No matter the target, the club or the CEO/DOF going back over a decade now it's never Dave's fault.

I think honestly The Unchosen One gets undue stick there. Surely the club being unable to close any deal is on the higher ups as much if not more than the gaffer.
He did a decent job for them, won big silverware (yes it's a cup there's luck involved and the league placing was worrying). I know coaches sometimes need to be rotated out because they reached a limit of sort, he's on his last year... But then don't wait August to sack him ? They're putting in danger of playing relegation again when they had the possibility (and some funds) to steady or improve the team just because the owners didn't had the courage to go through with their vision and own it.

Last edited: