David Moyes Unemployed | European Champion

At a stretch, two years. The year he was in charge and the following year when we were out of European competitions.

We've seen top clubs frequently hire unqualified managers: Kovac at Bayern, Setien at Barca, AVB at Chelsea, Lopetegui at Real, etc. None of these managers ever do any lasting damage, and the clubs usually bounce back quickly after sacking the manager.

The truly damaging decisions that were taken at United over the past decade - hemorrhaging money on crap signings without an overarching plan for the squad, handing out massive contracts like candy, failing to invest in supporting infrastructure, sidelining the club's scouts, jumping from manager to manager without a cohesive, consistent philosophy or style of play (resulting in a mish-mash squad that's not fit for purpose) - were all actions taken by Woodward and, by extension, the Glazers.

Fair enough mate, as much as Moyes tenure got the ball rolling in terms of terrible decisions and ripping up what wa sin place I personally think his successor did more damage.

Fair fecks to him, can't believe it's his first trophy. Say what you want about his disastrous stint with Utd but he is a good manager so it's pretty surprising he had no cups at all.

Well done to the man - he's obviously a very good coach, better than most.

Also, it was amazing seeing West Ham win last night... You get so used to winning (even with United being shit for 10 years, we've won the League Cup, FA cup, Europa League...) that it isn't that big a thing anymore. Even thinking about winning the league, or the Champions League, it's like "yeah, we should be winning these competitions". But for West Ham it was utter joy just to win anything - can you imagine our players being like that after winning something, ever?! The downsides of supporting a bigger team!

I'd still bet good money he'll be gone by Christmas. He was circling the drain for a good bit since the start of the year. The European run kept him in the job and he's not going to get the boot now at the moment

Happy for him. Enjoyed his celebration for the winning goal. And his interview after the game with his dad on the pitch. Would warm the cockles in ones heart. What sport is all about.

The fact that even moyes could win this competition goes to show how over the top it was from some fans and media when they where raving about mourinho last season for winning this competition

Fair fecks to him, can't believe it's his first trophy. Say what you want about his disastrous stint with Utd but he is a good manager so it's pretty surprising he had no cups at all.

BRZkcIVCYAAEx8i

He looked like he'd de-aged by about 10 years in the post match interviews. Good to see him winning his first trophy and happy.

For nearly every United the experience of him managing us was horrendous and he said some annoying things during and after his time here, but you have to consider the incredible pressure he was under and how difficult it must have been for him to deal with the impact on his reputation. It's no surprise he went into defence mode. Also, can we really blame him for thinking the club was run by idiots?

Let's not forget also we've had four permanent managers since and they have all in their own way struggled with the role, Ten Hag is the first one that seems to be properly getting to grips with it.

At the end of the day he will always be the man who took on the challenge of taking over Sir Alex Ferguson. That's an insane ask of anyone and it seems some of the greatest managers around at the time were unwilling to step in front of that bullet.

The fact that even moyes could win this competition goes to show how over the top it was from some fans and media when they where raving about mourinho last season for winning this competition

Absolutely and I bet WHU's wage bill and spending were much higher than anyone in the competition this season.

I have no great love for him and even less for West Ham, but after watching the re-run of it this morning, I am pleased that the dirty cheating Italian barstewards lost. I am surprised any of them could walk off after the life threatening challenges they were suffering every ten seconds.

Another plus point is that Rice's price tag will now rocket to beyond what we will pay.

Delighted he managed this, he's a good manager and seems like a genuinely nice bloke.

Really glad for Moyes. Yeah he sounded bitter with some of his comments since getting sacked at United but that was long time ago and he's still a good man and a manager.

So far ECL has only been won by ex-United managers.

Dithering Dave at it again? I can absolutely imagine Moyes sitting there with dozens of transfer targets but scared of making a decision who really to go for.

Dithering Dave at it again? I can absolutely imagine Moyes sitting there with dozens of transfer targets but scared of making a decision who really to go for.
I think in this case it is more likely the owners are reluctant to spend the Rice windfall on Moyes targets/players who will fit his style after their league performance last season. Wouldn't surprise me if they were half hoping for West Ham to lose the ECL final to make it easier to sack him.

The owner is also going through alleged legal issues and Moyes and the new technical director have apparently clashed.

I think in this case it is more likely the owners are reluctant to spend the Rice windfall on Moyes targets/players who will fit his style after their league performance last season. Wouldn't surprise me if they were half hoping for West Ham to lose the ECL final to make it easier to sack him.

The owner is also going through alleged legal issues and Moyes and the new technical director have apparently clashed.

Interesting. At United Moyes wasn’t prepared to do compromises or trust other people. Even way more successful managers than Moyes would have - at least initially - kept part of SAF’s staff (plus bringing his own people). But Moyes wanted it his way completely.
So I assume Maguire and McT are Moyes targets rather than club targets? Any info on this?

Both tweets within an hour from each other. That's actually hilarious tbf. :lol:
Have to feel bad for West Ham fans though.

West Ham are making a truly spectacular cock-up of this window. They have a new DOF who they appointed despite the fact he seems to be completely at odds with the Manager on what recruits are needed, Sullivan is still allegedly handling negotiations anyway and cannot pick which guy to back and every player they have been in for they make a stupidly low bid and then walk away in a huff when they are told to raise it. They are going down this year if they don't pull their fingers out. They badly need a goalscorer, at least a couple of recruits in the midfield and their defense is in bits including the keeper.

West Ham are making a truly spectacular cock-up of this window. They have a new DOF who they appointed despite the fact he seems to be completely at odds with the Manager on what recruits are needed, Sullivan is still allegedly handling negotiations anyway and cannot pick which guy to back and every player they have been in for they make a stupidly low bid and then walk away in a huff when they are told to raise it. They are going down this year if they don't pull their fingers out. They badly need a goalscorer, at least a couple of recruits in the midfield and their defense is in bits including the keeper.
Don’t tell Harry they are going down please!

Both tweets within an hour from each other. That's actually hilarious tbf. :lol:
Have to feel bad for West Ham fans though.

I think that’s more about Kaveh being an absolute bluffer. They wheel him out on Sky and he waffles on for about 5 minutes saying absolutely nothing. He just makes it sound official and sticks to really basic phrases with no real insight at all.

Interesting. At United Moyes wasn’t prepared to do compromises or trust other people. Even way more successful managers than Moyes would have - at least initially - kept part of SAF’s staff (plus bringing his own people). But Moyes wanted it his way completely.
So I assume Maguire and McT are Moyes targets rather than club targets? Any info on this?
Yeah, wasn't this apparently the case with Thiago (despite the retroactive accounts peddled on various footballing sites that United missed out on him because he'd already chosen Munich and spent time fruitlessly on a deal). Most reliable version of events is that SAF had lined him up, but Moyes dithered once he was in post and then decided he wanted to sign Fabregas (once he'd been told Kroos wasn't available that summer) and that spoofer Woodward assure him the club would be able to secure CF with few issues (we can do things other clubs can only dream of etc). Then, when that stalled, Moyes wasn't able to decide on a replacement (Thiago having then elected to go for the team who'd made a concrete offer) until they finally panic bought Fellaini after the release clause expired....

Just offer him McTominay and Maguire for a combined total of £55million, almost half the rice money. Their DoF could decide how best to spend the rest of the Rice money. There, I've managed their summer for them.

Just offer him McTominay and Maguire for a combined total of £55million, almost half the rice money. Their DoF could decide how best to spend the rest of the Rice money. There, I've managed their summer for them.
This would honestly be an excellent deal for everyone involved if they could just get their collective sh1t together to coordinate...

From what I gather he wants to sign Ward Prowse and Conor Gallagher who'd actually be really good fits for how he plays and can fill the Rice void but this new sporting director they have isn't interested in them.

Hard to believe Ward Prowse will be starting the season in the championship.

West Ham also have a big problem at CF with Antonio wanting to go but still really the best fit for their style (compared to Ings and Scamacca who wants to go back to Italy).

Nailed it. West Ham narrowly avoided relegation, sold their best player and have signed no replacements. How do they think this will end? Their fans must be tearing their hair out.

They won't go down. Luton and Sheffield as things stand have the bottom two spots locked down so then it's a case of just being better than Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham, Wolves and probably Forest.

They won't go down. Luton and Sheffield as things stand have the bottom two spots locked down so then it's a case of just being better than Burnley, Bournemouth, West Ham, Wolves and probably Forest.

12 months ago you could have swapped in Bournemouth and Forest for Luton and Sheffield and nobody would have argued with you. Promoted teams usually come out with a bit of fight about them.

The Hammers start away at Bournemouth who have strengthened, and you would fancy to at least get a point at home if not win outright and then they face Chelsea and Brighton before an away trip to Luton. They could roll up to Kennilworth road without a point on the board and even if they get something there they then face City. I can easily see them copying Leicester as @RedSky mentioned and managing 1 point from their opening 7 games.

Last edited:
Looking like it’s gonna be a Leighton Baines and Fellaini double deal on deadline day at this rate.

From what I gather he wants to sign Ward Prowse and Conor Gallagher who'd actually be really good fits for how he plays and can fill the Rice void but this new sporting director they have isn't interested in them.

West Ham also have a big problem at CF with Antonio wanting to go but still really the best fit for their style (compared to Ings and Scamacca who wants to go back to Italy).
Ward Prowse and Gallagher sound like sensible signings. £40m for JWP is excessive as he's 29 years old.

There's a reason Ward-Prowse hasn't been picked up yet, and it's because he's a shite free-kick merchant.

He'll be a late window panic buy at best for any PL club.

They are making such a clusterfeck of this window. Getting a DoF in who doesn’t support the managers vision is a recipe for disaster when it happens once the window is already open. You need to give the guys months to work with the manager on identifying signings. Now all the existing targets are being thrown out the window, nothing happens. Right now they are nailed on to do feck all, have a terrible start to the season, sack the manager by Christmas as they have a shit squad, and then panic spend in January on overpriced crap players in a desperate bid to stay up.

need to sort it out fast.

What bodes really badly for them is the lack of contingency between losing Rice and identifying and securing his replacement(s). They should have been sounding out (tapping up) all the players they wanted in and purchasing them for reasonable fees (perhaps even before the sale) because the selling clubs wouldn't have known so much money was going WH's way, but instead they're now shopping with clubs expecting as big a chunk of that money as they can get.

Poor planning.