Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Fighter

Considering Liverpool's recent track record with signings, I'm not laughing at him just yet. I fully expect him to morph into prime Zlatan when the season gets going.

The type of players they had in the front three, a false nine who can drop to midfield and two goal scorer wingers is the best way to go in my opinion. I think the best scenario for all parts would have been Havertz at Liverpool and Nunez at Chelsea.
Why? Tuchel's system is clearly more suited to a false 9.

Why you think so? They payed a fortune for Lukaku. Unless it was not his idea and the club pushed for it.

It wasn't his idea at all - and the fundamental downside of playing a 3-4-3 is you don't have the 3rd body in midfield, so a striker dropping deeper onto the opposition DM is extra important when out of possession.

It's not a coincidence our best run of form last year came with Havertz as the 9 - Lukaku was an awkward fit as he seems incapable of playing as a lone striker effectively.

It wasn't his idea at all - and the fundamental downside of playing a 3-4-3 is you don't have the 3rd body in midfield, so a striker dropping deeper onto the opposition DM is extra important when out of possession.

It's not a coincidence our best run of form last year came with Havertz as the 9 - Lukaku was an awkward fit as he seems incapable of playing as a lone striker effectively.
I see. This is why clubs shouldn't sign players that are not in the profile wanted by the manager.

This lad will still score more in the league next year than Ronaldo if he stays. Just to balance out the thread. I’m enjoying how average he looks so far though. I just don’t see how someone who got those goals in the CL can pan out the way he’s being portrayed on here. Physically he looks like just the sort to turn in a lot of those crosses once Liverpool turn up the pressure (and get back on the inhalers)
That’s not damning on Ronaldo though. Put Ronaldo in the Liverpool team and he’ll score more than Nunez would.

I fully expect him to bang in goals once the season starts. Probably a hattrick on his PL debut.

You know it I'll happen because it's Liverpool.

I see. This is why clubs shouldn't sign players that are not in the profile wanted by the manager.

Yep 100% agreed - and not to derail the thread but it's clear Tuchel has taken on a far bigger role in our transfers right now compared to last year (largely due to circumstance); for me that's an encouraging sign.

Hindsight is 20/20 but it seems pretty obvious the old board wanted a striker at all costs without consideration for how the team would work - and were blinded by the romanticism of bringing a prodigal son back whilst ignoring the broader implications.

I'm referring to the peak stage of that formation when Firmino was in good form.
Yeah but Chelsea would never give us Havertz and Firmino can’t really do it effectively and consistently any more. Klopp’s been switching around his front three a fair bit over the last couple of seasons.

Signing Nunez probably signals another shift in how we’re going to try and play.

He will gain confidence once he scores, but I hope he flops spectacularly of course and underachieves massively. The best result would be for Liverpool fans to be forced to admit he is a flop, as much as Lukaku was for us.

I literally told everyone. Only people raving about Darwin never saw him for 2 years in Portugal.

Could he be ok yes absolutely but ATM 100M for Him was ridiculous. Liverpool got worse because he is not going to replicate or replace mane. At least not this first year.

As I always said Benfica players….. it was nothing like Luiz Diaz who was amazing for 3 years. Darwin had one good season in 2… and even then he showed a lot of deficiencies. In Portugal many tall strikers succeed like Dost Slimani Jackson and ….Darwin…. Portugal league defenses don’t do well with big tall strikers.
True. Still it’s Klopp and if anyone can find a at to get the best out of him then it’s him. Wait and see time

David Yumiss ??

Salah's goals would dry up pretty fast, after Mane's gone.

One thing I noticed about the way he plays is he sticks to very direct and simple play. Nothing intelligent or complicated in the way he works, not unlike Caroll. He's not a natural Liverpool fit unlike Diaz or Jota. He will be protected as long as Salah continues to provide magic but once that stops and Nunez has to lift the team, he's going to be in for some massive slack if he doesn't progress.

Looking at the video it isn’t even that bad, he will score goals and he works hard, yes the fee looks excessive and it seems liverpool went Haaland panic mode but he will benefit hugely front Trent wipped balls.

One thing I noticed about the way he plays is he sticks to very direct and simple play. Nothing intelligent or complicated in the way he works, not unlike Caroll. He's not a natural Liverpool fit unlike Diaz or Jota. He will be protected as long as Salah continues to provide magic but once that stops and Nunez has to lift the team, he's going to be in for some massive slack if he doesn't progress.
He is like Bebe but playing as a centre forward.
Liverpool have royally flecked up on this one!

He looks like a player who feels a pressure of huge transfer fee paid for him. However, he may come good. In the clip above he is abysmal but he is making a lot of good runs. Once he gels with the team, he will score loads of goals I think.

Video isn’t too bad. Seems too keen to do something.

Decent movement and looks to have a good workrate. Hope the fecker flops.

He's a great player and will be the top scorer in all of Europe and the world next season. He will get at least 50 goals.

It's just that the asthma medicine hasn't fully built up in his system yet. Once it does he will he flying and banging them in for fun.

Safe to say Liverpool fans are a bit rattled.

Yep 100% agreed - and not to derail the thread but it's clear Tuchel has taken on a far bigger role in our transfers right now compared to last year (largely due to circumstance); for me that's an encouraging sign.

Hindsight is 20/20 but it seems pretty obvious the old board wanted a striker at all costs without consideration for how the team would work - and were blinded by the romanticism of bringing a prodigal son back whilst ignoring the broader implications.
Lukaku can't be given as hindsight. Although I expected a better goal record basic due dillengence would have seen the stylistical and egotistical issues coming.

Considering Liverpool's recent track record with signings, I'm not laughing at him just yet. I fully expect him to morph into prime Zlatan when the season gets going.

Doesn't mean they can't get one wrong. I still wonder if they will regret not holding on to Mane.

I think it's too early to judge this player. Let's come back here after 10-15 games.

Always wonder if he is another Lukaku in the making, looks like he is.

With TAA and Robertson crossing incessantly, he is bound to get in a decent amount. I'd say around 15-17 in his first season.

Liverpool have been phenomenal with their scouting and recruitment over the last 5-6 years, so it’s hard to imagine they’ve gotten this one so wrong, especially at 85m. But…..on face value you can say that he’s had one good season in his career (only 22), comes with a lot of people saying there are question marks over his technical proficiency, and….he doesn’t obviously fit into their system and seems to necessitate a change in style for the team. All things considered, he looks like a nailed on flop; but I just don’t see it working out that way.

Best case scenario for the rest of the league is that he struggles to make the leap from Portuguese football to the rigours of the PL, and that he is exposed technically. Due to the massive fee, Klopp stubbornly persists with him in order to save face, insisting in multiple post match meltdowns that his latest gaffe was actually a result of the wind, and he’s really really happy with him. Eventually it all leads to a disappointing season and the team narrowly missing out on top four.

What will probably happen, is that he’ll take some weeks to adjust, but his confidence will be boosted by bagging an easy brace of tap ins against relegation fodder and then slamming a speculative worldie off his shin into the top corner from 30 yards. With confidence surging through his veins, the admittedly brilliant Klopp will fuel that momentum brilliantly and Nunez will go on to bag 35 goals for the season, as Liverpool put in another vigorous title challenge. Darwin will be hailed as a bargain, with the fee now being quoted as just 65m - as the media collectively erases all add ons from their memory - Klopp will be hailed as a genius, and Carragher will say that Nunez is perhaps the best signing in the history of the premier league, and multiple articles will appear detailing how Nunez rejected United in favour of the infinitely superior Anfield super club, despite United never actually bidding or enquiring after him.

If Lukaku managed 13 goals last season I guess Nunez can get a similar amount with their chance creation.

The only problem will be his link up play, just like Lukaku and Ronaldo for us, they seemed to "hog" all the chances so all the creativity went through them, and if they didn't score, the team would suffer, hopefully his output is decent enough so he doesn't get dropped so the teams overall goals will decrease.

Dippers have got there scouting so right for the past 5 years or so, I am not going to sit here and laugh about a signing of theirs in pre-season. However, from what I have seen, his technique looks poor, like Lukaku poor, which would be worrying me if I were a Dipper.

So far he looks big and cumbersome in their front line. With the amount of crosses they can fire in he will score some but he doesn't look like slotting in fluidly. He will no doubt help hold the ball up high against teams that sit and defend but is that enough.

It's hard to doubt Liverpool's scouting but even SAF got a few wrong, though a weight loss programme and creative use of inhalers will surely go a long way.