Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

But Gibson can't do any of the things Scholes can do except from shoot well and it is a bizarre comparison. He will be sold.

Im not comparing him to Scholes, others are for some reason bringing Scholes up. Scholes was a forward when he was a youth team/reserve player. Its bizarre to mention them in the same breath

and besides all that, Scholes was a once in a lifetime type of player

Gibson has a great shot when given the room to unleash it and a good range of passing. But our play when not in possession has always been to press the opposition early and high up the pitch, and this is where Gibson lets himself down badly.

It just seems that his positional play when not in possession of the ball is woeful and there seems to a lack of effort or will to try to really close down and harry the opposition, so much so that often he will let an opponant just pass him by.
Now there have been glimpses of him really making an effort to press the opposition but they have been all to fleeting.

All three of those players are different in the way they score goals. Scholes has a cracking shot from range but his trademark has been late runs into the box. Gerrard is similar to Scholes but more likely to create chances for himself by running with the ball from deep. Lampard is similar to Gibson in that he doesn't score many from inside the box but is a real threat from range.

All three of them are far better players than Gibson will ever be but I don;t know why you're so determined to dismiss his ability to pose a real threat on goal from outside the box. It's just so obvious that this is a real strength to his game.

As many others keep saying, though, it takes more than a decent shot to be a top central midfielder.

I'm not dismissing it. I'm asking questions about his record because while Gibson is unquestionably a scorer of great goals and can be a threat from distance, I'm not convinced that he has it in his game to be a regular goal scorer. Shooting from distance is not going to have him regularly scoring in double figures and I haven't seen him get in the box often enough to suggest he'll score enough in any other fashion.

I would find it hard to believe that Gibson made 33 sub appearances at Royal Antwerp and 21 at Wolves? I've also asked what his scoring record was like at reserve level. I don't see a player who regularly gets himself into good goalscoring positions. He's got a good long shot when it comes off. That doesn't make him a good goal scoring midfielder. He just doesn't have that knack that Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard etc, or any good goalscorer has of getting themselves on the end of loose balls in the box and regularly chip in with goals. I can think of one goal of that type Gibson has scored for Utd.

Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard are world class players. Like I said in my previous post they are not likely to be happy playing a few games a year.

The much talked about Adams hardly had a record to be proud of before his 24th birthday. I'm not saying Gibson will become a great player, I'm just trying to point out some players are late bloomers.

Big difference between having talent and being a successful footballer.
You think all successful footballers don't go through growing pains?

Gibson is young and learning. Getting very few games to improve on his craft. But they and you are calling him either shit or a lazy bastard for not progressing like he was a Fabregas.

Trappotoni's not the first person in a roundabout fashion to label Gibson a lazy bastard. The world is full of talented players who've done feck all with that gift.
Rather the world is full of idiots like you who level players who are getting very little game time lazy bastards.

No one in football since Mick Mcarthy during his Wolves spell has called Gibson lazy. They've just tried to make him understand his role on the pitch better. The penny will most likely eventually drop for him like it did for Nani.

Who thinks it's easy to get in Utd's squad? ....
:lol:You dare to ask?:lol:

What of all this talk that he isn't good enough, offers nothing and is a ''lazy bastard'', with a poor attitude to boot?. Basically it must be piss easy to get in our match day squads. I mean SAF overlooks obviously overlooks lack of talent, application, good attitude and plain laziness isn't it?

Right can someone point to a player who is better than Gibson and will be happy at being 5th choice...

Cross-posted from another thread.

Reading those stats, we should be thankful that at least one of our central midfielders is willing to take a crack. If you don't shoot, you don't score.

I find it bizarre that so many people on here are crying out for a goal-scoring central midfielder while at the same time moaning about a young central midfielder already at our club (with a proven ability to score goals) because he shoots too much!
The grass is greener over there and all that..

Gibson has a great shot when given the room to unleash it and a good range of passing. But our play when not in possession has always been to press the opposition early and high up the pitch, and this is where Gibson lets himself down badly.

It just seems that his positional play when not in possession of the ball is woeful and there seems to a lack of effort or will to try to really close down and harry the opposition, so much so that often he will let an opponant just pass him by.
Now there have been glimpses of him really making an effort to press the opposition but they have been all to fleeting.

I think that's a very fair and accurate critique.

As Sultan says, late bloomers do exist but Gibson's got a lot of blooming to do in a very short space of time if he's going to stay at United much longer. The 25 man squad really puts the squeeze on fringe players like him.

Right can someone point to a player who is better than Gibson and will be happy at being 5th choice...

Possibly Cleverly. I know he's played out wide for this loan spell with Wigan but he played central midfield for Watford when he was loaned there. I always thought this was his 'proper' position but he does seem very versatile.

I've always thought Gibson for a returning Cleverly was a possibility this summer as Gibson has not really kicked on this season from last year when I thought he had given himself a real chance of making it at United as a squad player. There comes a point when it will be in his best interests to leave rather than get the rare games he does now.

Alot depends on what happens this summer in terms of who comes and goes. I can't see United being daft enough to offer Hargreaves another contract so we will be one central midfielder down anyway. There's a good chance Scholes might retire in the summer. If that happens I'd expect United to sign one first team midfielder, bring Cleverly back and stick with what we have now(including Gibson).

If Scholes commits to one more year, I'd still expect United to sign another midfielder but could not see much room for Gibson in that collection of players due to the 25 squad rule.

Either way, whether Gibson stays or leaves for another club, United have bigger priorities with revamping the midfield slightly with Hargreaves being the only midfielder I would certainly expect to leave the club.

Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard are world class players. Like I said in my previous post they are not likely to be happy playing a few games a year.

The much talked about Adams hardly had a record to be proud of before his 24th birthday. I'm not saying Gibson will become a great player, I'm just trying to point out some players are late bloomers.

Which is why I said other goal scoring midfielders etc. Kevin Nolan for one example. I haven't said Gibson won't become a good, regular goal scorer. Just pointing out his record to date isn't great and that I'm not sure he gets into enough good positions. He may blossom into a regular scorer, some seem to be suggesting he already is. He isn't.

Possibly Cleverly. I know he's played out wide for this loan spell with Wigan but he played central midfield for Watford when he was loaned there. I always thought this was his 'proper' position but he does seem very versatile.

I've always thought Gibson for a returning Cleverly was a possibility this summer as Gibson has not really kicked on this season from last year when I thought he had given himself a real chance of making it at United as a squad player. There comes a point when it will be in his best interests to leave rather than get the rare games he does now.

Alot depends on what happens this summer in terms of who comes and goes. I can't see United being daft enough to offer Hargreaves another contract so we will be one central midfielder down anyway. There's a good chance Scholes might retire in the summer. If that happens I'd expect United to sign one first team midfielder, bring Cleverly back and stick with what we have now(including Gibson).

If Scholes commits to one more year, I'd still expect United to sign another midfielder but could not see much room for Gibson in that collection of players due to the 25 squad rule.

Either way, whether Gibson stays or leaves for another club, United have bigger priorities with revamping the midfield slightly with Hargreaves being the only midfielder I would certainly expect to leave the club.

On the money as usual.

You think all successful footballers don't go through growing pains?

Gibson is young and learning. Getting very few games to improve on his craft. But they you are calling him either shit or a lazy bastard for not progressing like he was a Fabregas.

Rather the world is full of idiots like you who level players who are getting very little game time lazy bastards.

No one in football since Mick Mcarthy during his Wolves spell has called Gibson lazy. They've just tried to make him understand his role on the pitch better. The penny will most likely eventually drop for him like it did for Nani.
No, people are calling him lazy because he mooches around the pitch barely breaking sweat. Have a read at what Trappotoni was saying and read between the lines.

Excellent post.

But he is a fool apparently. I mean how can Scholesy with his obsession with technique and acnumber9's fascination with statistics be wrong?

No fascination with stats here. Though that comment coming from you is very ironic. I'm just pointing out facts. I know you prefer to make up your own facts but I prefer the real thing.

How are you sure Meulensteen and the coaching staff rate Gibson is good enough?
If they have been paying attention to any of our matches, they must be looking for a buyer this summer.

The thing is it's not just the matches they watch, but the training and all the rest of it.

But matches are what are important. Everyone, I think, does not think Gibson is good enough. Are we all wrong, and should we rate Gibson because the coaching staff maybe do. If the coaching staff rate Gibson, they are wrong.

If Gibbo is impressing so much in training I wish he'd hold back and save it a bit more for matches :D

I think Gibson will stay at United - there's always been players in Fergie's era that the fans have moaned about but have stayed with the squad - P Neville, Butt, O'Shea, Brown, Fletcher etc etc

He keeps them round firstly because they're all good players but also because, like Gibson, they'd all give both their bollocks to play for United. The thing they all have in common is an understanding of what it means to play for United and a total commitment to the cause. They're great to have in the squad, competing for places, fostering spirit etc etc...

What I'm getting at is: I don't care if he doesn't blossom into Lampard/Gerrard/Scholes - he brings other qualities that make the squad special (different to any other in the league) and he'll work his arse off to improve his weaknesses. None of those characteristics are a given anymore amongst PL players and we're lucky to have players like Gibson in reserve - there's certainly enough players with worse attitudes on the fringes of other top PL clubs...

But matches are what are important. Everyone, I think, does not think Gibson is good enough. Are we all wrong, and should we rate Gibson because the coaching staff maybe do. If the coaching staff rate Gibson, they are wrong.

Big statement to make that, they're the professionals in this matter and unless you're much more qualified than i realised then i'll take their word over yours.

Personally i think he has the potential, he's shown flashes of what he can do be it passing or shooting. It's just the overall workrate, positioning at times and tackling that's letting him down.

Big statement to make that, they're the professionals in this matter and unless you're much more qualified than i realised then i'll take their word over yours.

Personally i think he has the potential, he's shown flashes of what he can do be it passing or shooting. It's just the overall workrate, positioning at times and tackling that's letting him down.

It is not a big statement. It is so clear Gibson is not good enough.

Surely that's no different from any local park? A consistent standard of excellence is what defines a professional footballer. Every Sunday league footballer can manage a perfect 50 yard pass or cracking shot every now and again, but discipline and consistency is what separates them from the true pros.

I'm not for a second suggesting Gibson is no better than an overweight city boy burning off a few beers on a football pitch every Sunday, but the analogy is still relevant. It's Richardson all over again.

To be fair, Meulensteen isn't going to come out and say Gibson is shite isn't it? Especially if United are looking for potential buyers for him