Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Then not making themselves available for ball was one of the causes of Spurs dominating the 1st half.

He's very slow to react to things - his first time passing's very edgy and the time he takes to receive the ball and release it is unusually long.

He's got a cracking shot and pass on him, he's a big strong presence in midfield in terms of stature, and he's versatile enough to still be useful on the wing.

I'd be glad to have him develop like Fletcher has, and I think there is a lot of (viable) improvement to go, but I think it's more likely he'll go to a Birmingham/Bolton (much like Seb. Larrsson and Muamba respectively) to prove himself before hopefully making the next step up.

oiegiboo.gif

Gibson's a bit of an enigma really. Not enough intensity and energy in his play, but given the time and space, he can hit a really good long range pass and an even better shot. His goal returns considering how little minutes he gets on the field is fantastic, but can't seem to control the game around him. He's big in stature, yet not physical enough to make full use of it.

Is he evil Carrick? or evil Huddlestone?

It's amazing how fickle and impatient people can be.

You would think that the current flavour of the month, Darren Fletcher, would be an example of what time can do for a young player.

I've been impressed by Gibson so far in his career, he may have his faults but he has time to work on them.

On the flip side, for every Fletcher about a dozen others never develop into top class.

Then not making themselves available for ball was one of the causes of Spurs dominating the 1st half.

Very true. It was like they'd give the ball and stand in the same position rather than move into space. It was so frustrating. But they did well, Anderson, De Laet, and Gibson did very well. PIG was also quite solid apart from a totally misjudged cross. Macheda and Welbeck caused their defense problems. They've all got a bright future ahead of them.

I can see more potential in Gibson then I saw in Fletch few years ago. We should give him more playing time.

I think "yes"
He clearly has the mental strength to play at OT. Decent shot, good passer, good footballing brain. Give him time, if he works hard he could definately make it imo

Sat in the Stretty End (ears ringing with "Leeds Scum") I actually started to look forward to digging out my post on Gibson

As one of the older poster on this forum some of you are actually going to have start taking me seriously (though as I'm more often a sarcastic bast, so good luck with that).

The MancFan knows his onions - erm - shocker :D

still not sure about gibbo.

Two great goals, but United play 442 and need a lot more from a CM player than just an ability to shoot. His passing and defensive games are not good enough yet. He might well improve but i'm not sure how much he can add to his game at this point.

Apart from his shooting ability, he doesn't bring enough to the team imo.

I can see more potential in Gibson then I saw in Fletch few years ago. We should give him more playing time.

but who will you drop to give him more time?
we already have at least 4, and arguably 6, other players ahead of him in the queue to play centre mid.

still not sure about gibbo.

Two great goals, but United play 442 and need a lot more from a CM player than just an ability to shoot. His passing and defensive games are not good enough yet. He might well improve but i'm not sure how much he can add to his game at this point.

Apart from his shooting ability, he doesn't bring enough to the team imo.

Has he had the opportunity to do so? a handful of games is not enough to judge him on. Fletch was considered in the same way but given time and patience you see what a player he is now.

The problem is one of having a lot of players to fill basically 4 positions without spending a lot of money in the transfer market.We currently have a load of midfielders either established 1st teamers,ones who can come in and do a job seamlessly or potential 1st teamers including reserves and youth teamers.

If they aren't given games to express themselves and gain confidence what do we do with them?

but who will you drop to give him more time?
we already have at least 4, and arguably 6, other players ahead of him in the queue to play centre mid.

Scholes and Giggs won't be around for much longer so that's 2 going already. Carrick has been well below par this season, and there's no guarantee that Hargreaves will recover - which leaves Gibson challenging for (admittedly) substitute appearances and fringe games at the moment. But if he can show he's got enough about him then next season could be his make or break one

Scholes and Giggs won't be around for much longer so that's 2 going already. Carrick has been well below par this season, and there's no guarantee that Hargreaves will recover - which leaves Gibson challenging for (admittedly) substitute appearances and fringe games at the moment. But if he can show he's got enough about him then next season could be his make or break one

Well if you look at that way then I suppose he could get a chance if he is willing to bide his time for a year or two - he is at least making progress which means we should get a decent fee for him if he does decide he wants first team football elsewhere.

Two great goals. We've xx amount of games now till the end. Hopefully, he'll be able to build on this. We don't want him to go missing for months. If he can keep scoring, it's a big thing for him as we don't score enough from the midfield.

not sure about him. honestly, if i had to give an answer, i would say he is not united quality. he would do well in a bottom 10 side perhaps....

a loan deal to hull or birmingham would have been good for him perhaps.

I would think that's enough.Someone who can score outside the box.

A midfielder needs to do much more than knock in the occasional 20 yarder to be doing enough for this club. The dury is still out on that one.

Regardless of whether or not Gibson will make it at United, he has nowhere close to Fletcher's ability or potential. Comparing him to our best midfielder is silly.

Told you yous were all fecking idiots

I mean if you can write him off after one game im entitled to wipe your nose in it after one game

Its no surprise, he got game time last season in the CC and a few other games and produced. The boy will do well given time and support. But you're all so fecking impatient when it comes to home growns that you cant see the woods for the trees

Hypocrite.

too true.

where are gibson's 100 games that fletch got?? we've all seen fletch have some right mares before he put it together after 3-4 years worth of consistent game time.

natural goal scorers from CM positions are golden and should be nurtured and developed.

Do you trust Sir Alex?

Of course. He's signed the likes of Keane, Stam, Schmeichel, Rio, Rooney, Ronaldo, etc. over the years.

He's also signed the likes of Milne, Djemba, Miller, etc. over the years.

And flogged off spares that went on to have decent careers while a few (Rossi, Pique) are going to be stars.

Some posters seem to think the great SAF can/has never do wrong. All managers make mistakes. Not one manager is perfect.

Fletcher was crap in 05/06 when he had every chance to assert himself (Keane gone, Scholes injured). But he stuck with it when he could have bolted from United if he so desired (assuming SAF would have let him go but we know players hold the power these days more often than not). And with players like Carrick, Hargreaves, Giggs and Scholes picking up their share of injuries, plus Anderson blowing cold more than hot, Fletcher was given his shot. And he's stepped up big time.

Gibson would basically need the same circumstances (injuries and shit performances from others) to get a run of matches like Fletcher has. What would really help Gibson is if Giggs and Scholes retired this summer. But I would expect SAF to make at least one midfield signing in such case. It's a big drop in class when you go from Giggs and Scholes to Gibson. That's not saying Gibson could turn into another Fletcher type, or better or just slightly lesser than.

Of course. He's signed the likes of Keane, Stam, Schmeichel, Rio, Rooney, Ronaldo, etc. over the years.

He's also signed the likes of Milne, Djemba, Miller, etc. over the years.

And flogged off spares that went on to have decent careers while a few (Rossi, Pique) are going to be stars.

Some posters seem to think the great SAF can/has never do wrong. All managers make mistakes. Not one manager is perfect.

Two points to be drawn from your post;

Firstly, we've no way of knowing if PIque or Rossi are going to be stars, that's your opinion. Pique is a good player in a great team at the moment, Rossi is proving to be the player I thought he'd be;sometimes good, sometimes ineffective.Doesn't mean he's have been a star in the Prem.

As regards SAF and his mistakes; he's been managing for a ridiculous amount of time and all you can do is bring up Miller, Djemba x2 and Milne??? to highlight failures.

The expression 'spolied by success' was never aptly coined for a fan like you

Gibson's a bit of an enigma really. Not enough intensity and energy in his play, but given the time and space, he can hit a really good long range pass and an even better shot. His goal returns considering how little minutes he gets on the field is fantastic, but can't seem to control the game around him. He's big in stature, yet not physical enough to make full use of it.

Is he evil Carrick? or evil Huddlestone?

At the age of 23/24, Michael Carrick was Tottenham Hotspur's best player, soon to become an £18m player and first team player for the Champions.

Can you see Darron Gibson following a similar path in another year or two? (He's 22 now.)

We'll be lucky if Gibson turns out to be half the player Carrick is.
Huddlestone is a more accurate comparison and Gibson will do well to reach his level.

Firstly, we've no way of knowing if PIque or Rossi are going to be stars, that's your opinion

Erm?

Pique started for Barca in the European Cup final, his team winning and keeping a clean sheet. He scored against Inter midweek. He's first choice for the best team in Europe right now

Rossi has managed to break the Italian national side (14 caps), and has scored nearly 30 goals in La Liga since he joined Villarreal a couple of seasons back

Gibson might not make it in a two man mid as a regular but in a Lampard role circa 2004-07, where he is just given the freedom to roam and take shots from distance, he could be a very effective player.

I said before to give him a chance as Geebs has as well, too early to write him off.

At the age of 23/24, Michael Carrick was Tottenham Hotspur's best player, soon to become an £18m player and first team player for the Champions.

Can you see Darron Gibson following a similar path in another year or two? (He's 22 now.)

Huddlestone is a more accurate comparison and Gibson will do well to reach his level.

We could have said the same with regards to Fletcher a couple of seasons ago. Not many would have predicted that he would have become the player he is today.

Slightly misleading post.

Carrick joined Spurs at age 24 and took six months or so to settle. So at 22, Gibson's age, he was playing in the Championship. In two years time could Gibson get in the Spurs team? Frankly I think he could challenge Jenas for a starting place right now, given that Jenas is a bit shit.

Carrick joined United at age 26, four years further ahead of Gibson, and at the time he was still considered fairly unproven.

I am confused by your claim that Gibson will do well to reach Huddlestone's level. They are pretty much on the same level already. I think Gibson's potential is greater than Huddlestone's, given that Huddlestone is even less dynamic and agile, and he doesn't have a footballing brain.

Of course it all depends on whether Gibson can improve. I think he has some raw ability that can be harnessed. To what extent nobody knows. I think the comments from the club have been promising, as have Gibson's early performances. He'll be at United for another 18 months at least.

I do think the comparison to Huddlestone is much more apt than Carrick, but John's always had a bit of a thing for Carrick so in getting overly defensive of the comparison between the two, he's been overly critical of Gibson.

He's similar to Huddlestone in that he's quite technically gifted - they can both pick a pass or take a shot with elegance which shows their ability - but they're both a bit slow to pick that pass, receive that pass or bring the ball forward. They're also very well built but don't put themselves about enough.

Can't see a big difference between the two in terms of natural ability or quality of performances.

Two points to be drawn from your post;

Firstly, we've no way of knowing if PIque or Rossi are going to be stars, that's your opinion. Pique is a good player in a great team at the moment, Rossi is proving to be the player I thought he'd be;sometimes good, sometimes ineffective.Doesn't mean he's have been a star in the Prem.

As regards SAF and his mistakes; he's been managing for a ridiculous amount of time and all you can do is bring up Miller, Djemba x2 and Milne??? to highlight failures.

The expression 'spolied by success' was never aptly coined for a fan like you

:boring:

There are more failures and there are more good signings. Talk about finding a reason to pull out the top red shit.

I do think the comparison to Huddlestone is much more apt than Carrick, but John's always had a bit of a thing for Carrick so in getting overly defensive of the comparison between the two, he's been overly critical of Gibson.

He's similar to Huddlestone in that he's quite technically gifted - they can both pick a pass or take a shot with elegance which shows their ability - but they're both a bit slow to pick that pass, receive that pass or bring the ball forward. They're also very well built but don't put themselves about enough.

Can't see a big difference between the two in terms of natural ability or quality of performances.

Definite similarities but I think Gibson is more mobile and less creative.

Hundredstone is a weird one. He has all the tools to be a fantastic player, if only he was built a bit more like a footballer and a bit less like a WWE wrestler. As it is, he'll never amount to all that much.

He is aye, can pick a long pass out as well as anyone in the league, and probably strike the ball sweeter than anyone else in the league, but he just doesn't do enough.

He's had his first run of games at Spurs for a long while in the last month so he might establish himself in the Spurs team, but I can't see him going much further than that.

He is aye, can pick a long pass out as well as anyone in the league, and probably strike the ball sweeter than anyone else in the league, but he just doesn't do enough.

He's had his first run of games at Spurs for a long while in the last month so he might establish himself in the Spurs team, but I can't see him going much further than that.

maybe hes only good enough for Hull or Stoke, or Championship