Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

A player who can take the ball and score a goal out of nothing is always handy to have, regardless of how 'technically lacking' he may be.

Well if he can score a goal out of nothing, then he isn't really 'technically lacking', is he?

Great strikes, good on the lad.

I thought he did pretty well considering they were up against a decent Spurs side. The technique of his second goal was fantastic. Solid performance

Told you yous were all fecking idiots

Bit of a sweeping fecking statement that isn't it ?

That was his first game in ages wasn't it ?

He was out with injury for the best part of two months, I wouldn't be so hasty judging him on this performance.

Thought he did well.. won the ball countless times, and while he did lose it too often he was still our best central midfielder tonight.

Decent performance tonight, not the best. Still, he was far better than Anderson and Carrick didn't match his performance I thought either.

And that's just a small selection of quotes. But don't let that stop you making sweeping statements playing the big man.

Hes got a good shot on him but he is still 5th/6th choice centre mid for us

I dont think a partnership with Anderson works

It does not, and I think that is why Pogue created that thread a while back. The problem I see it that, they both want to attack, they leave the middle vulnerable. Gibson is like Lampard, he is not the box to box midfielder yet, he wants to go forward, so for us to get the best out of him, we must play him with some Fletcher or even Carrick.

I dont think a partnership with Anderson works

Yet him and Anderson were the best players on the pitch along with Vidic.

The partnership worked fine today, Tottenham didn't really do anything through the middle, they did however rape Neville.

read back through this full thread fella. I was addressing 85% of the people that concluded quite quickly that he wasn't good enough, was only good enough for Hull, Stoke or even lower

If he wants to be starting games then Hull, Stoke etc is about right for him - if he is happy to be a squad player then he can stay.

The only midfielder Anderson has shown signs of working well with in a two man centre-midfield is Hargreaves IMO.

I still don't think his all round play is that impressive. He's a bit too slow to do things sometimes and his first touch passing is nowhere near that of Carrick's ability. He has a cracking shot on him though and a decent footballing brain. Like I said in the match thread, if we give him time I can see him developing in a similar way to Fletcher.

Agreed. I'm not sure Anderson works in a midfield two with any of our CMs. No coincidence they both improved massively when Carrick came on.

As you, myself, and many others have pointed out, Anderson does well with two players in midfield with him, not so well with one midfielder next to him. Then some spastics on here overrate his performance in a three-man midfield claiming he bossed (insert player's name here).

Hopefully this match will be replayed on Setanta (or FSC, whomever broadcast earlier) so I can see how Gibson played tonight.

read back through this full thread fella. I was addressing 85% of the people that concluded quite quickly that he wasn't good enough, was only good enough for Hull, Stoke or even lower

I don't really understand your issue with people giving their opinion on whether he'll make it with us. I wouldn't suggest for one minute that he doesn't deserve a chance to prove himself, but surely the whole point of this place is that we get to discuss this sort of stuff? Are we not supposed to pass comment on young players?

For what it's worth, I reckon he's got a cracking strike on him, but he's just not going to be good enough to play the number of games his ability warrants at this club, so he'll move on. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

I don't really understand your issue with people giving their opinion on whether he'll make it with us. I wouldn't suggest for one minute that he doesn't deserve a chance to prove himself, but surely the whole point of this place is that we get to discuss this sort of stuff? Are we not supposed to pass comment on young players?

For what it's worth, I reckon he's got a cracking strike on him, but he's just not going to be good enough to play the number of games his ability warrants at this club, so he'll move on. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

The problem is he has impressed almost everytime he's played in the middle for us. He was shite in the Right wing role which Fletch showed utter shite. I think the lad has decent potential but there are many aspects of the game where CM's need time and games to improve. He was a different class than all the Spurs MF today and mind you, Spurs MF is not shite.

There is that feeling about him that he's too laid back or something, today for instance he just faded in the second half when it was a chance to really push on. There seem sto be a lack of the drive necessary to be a top player, as you say, and I've always said, he has all the technical tools, it's just if he can apply them. He could still turn out to be a super player though. I hope as much as think maybe.

Told you yous were all fecking idiots

I mean if you can write him off after one game im entitled to wipe your nose in it after one game

Its no surprise, he got game time last season in the CC and a few other games and produced. The boy will do well given time and support. But you're all so fecking impatient when it comes to home growns that you cant see the woods for the trees

Calm down. He played well, but two goals aren't going to change everything. We all know he has a good shot on him. He played well and scored two super goals. It doesn't mean he will be at United for the next ten years though. The questions as to his future at United still remain and will remain unless he can somehow force himself a lot further into the first team picture. Nobody wrote him off after one game. Where are you getting that from? You really have a horn for this lad, don't you?

Agree 100%. Hopefully he will prove his many doubters wrong.

GB is his biggest caf admirer, he should be delighted with the shift Gibbo put in.

yes and no. I just think he takes very unwarranted criticism. In nearly all of the matches he has started for United he has done well and scored a few. In only one match did he play poorly, and that was his first match after 2 months out after injury. Yet, that was enough to convince lots of people that he was shit. Some people even seemed to make things up to suit their argument!

Calm down. He played well, but two goals aren't going to change everything. We all know he has a good shot on him. He played well and scored two super goals. It doesn't mean he will be at United for the next ten years though. The questions as to his future at United still remain and will remain unless he can somehow force himself a lot further into the first team picture. Nobody wrote him off after one game. Where are you getting that from? You really have a horn for this lad, don't you?

Not getting at you as such, but read some of the tripe posted after you started this thread

He didn't really show anything new - if you give him time on the ball he's got good vision and can pass well off either foot, and he was far more sensible and considered in his shooting. I thought he was a little off the pace defensively, especially first half, however he grew in influence and had a very good second half.

I thought he played very well, between him and Ando for MoM for me.

It's amazing how fickle and impatient people can be.

You would think that the current flavour of the month, Darren Fletcher, would be an example of what time can do for a young player.

I've been impressed by Gibson so far in his career, he may have his faults but he has time to work on them.

Darron Gibson repays Sir Alex Ferguson's faith in youth

The Manchester United midfielder drew criticism in Europe last week but stole the show against Tottenham

So you will never win anything with kids, will you? Sir Alex Ferguson resurrected the old Alan Hansen line as a defence of his policy of giving his young players much needed experience in the Champions League and now the Carling Cup and was rewarded when an unlikely member of his junior cast came of age against Tottenham.

Darron Gibson repays Sir Alex Ferguson's faith in youth | Paul Wilson | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Not getting at you as such, but read some of the tripe posted after you started this thread

There are always some people who go completely over the top.

Anyway, two great goals tonight, fair play to the lad. As Noodlehair pointed out in the ratings thread though, he does need to make himself available more. Neither he nor Anderson actually made an effort to receive the ball off our defenders (yet both played well). He never looks like he wants the ball unless it's thirty yards out from goal!

He was good tonight. His link-up play was good tonight, he hassled the defence well at times, and hit some cracking shots. It's too early to make any conclusions yet on whether he'll 'make it' at United, personally, but tonight will have done him no harm. He was definitely the best of the young lads on today IMO.