Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

For all those bringing up Fletcher, can I just point out that he played over 100 games in the first three seasons after he made his initial debut. This despite his performances not being particularly up to much, hence all the criticism he got from United supporters. And to be fair it's not so long ago that Fletcher, despite being fully fit, wasn't starting a league game until gone Christmas. The turn around has been immense, but his story is certainly anything but the norm. Most players wouldn't play that poorly and yet get so much game time, and most players wouldn't storm back the way he has. He's an exception, and not some stick to beat people with when they fairly put their opinion across that a given player will or won't make it

Gibson made his debut at 17. He's 22 now, and he's had one Premier League start in all that time, against Hull on the last day of the season in a meaningless game alongside a second string as first team players were rested for the European Cup final. Clearly the guy has some talent, and as many in this thread have said, perhaps it's Premiership talent. But United talent? Those appearance stats tell me Fergie doesn't actually have that much faith in it happening. He was allowed to have his contract run down to the end last season too, albeit was eventually resigned. Barring some miracle that would make Fletcher's Lazarus like resurrection look positively banal... it's not going to happen, is it

Thought he was half-decent last night, all things considered. The problem is that he doesn't seem to offer anything that we don't already have, so it'll be tough to give him matches.

He made one storming run from back to front

pity the 2 forwards didn't make any kind of runs, instead planting themselves like trees. Then they tried to run when it was too late

Maybe they had got tired making runs for Gibson in the first half only for him to baloon the ball high and wide from thirty yards. When players expect you to shoot everytime you get a whiff of the goal they won't make the move.

I thought he was alright last night. Good first half but faded in the second due to lack of match practice. I think he is a good passer of the ball based on his first half performance.

Maybe they had got tired making runs for Gibson in the first half only for him to baloon the ball high and wide from thirty yards. When players expect you to shoot everytime you get a whiff of the goal they won't make the move.

he had 2 shots from open play in the whole match, hardly shooting everytime he got the ball! Besides, everytime he got in their half the crowd was shouting "shoooooooot".

he had 2 shots from open play in the whole match, hardly shooting everytime he got the ball! Besides, everytime he got in their half the crowd was shouting "shoooooooot".

Pretty sure it was three, stand to be corrected on that. Like I said everytime he got near goal. Are you suggesting a footballer should his decisions on the pitch based on a crowd shouting?

Pretty sure it was three, stand to be corrected on that. Like I said everytime he got near goal. Are you suggesting a footballer should his decisions on the pitch based on a crowd shouting?

no, off course not. Im just saying on one hand i've heard several United fans today saying "he shouldn't shoot so much" and then last night everyone in the crowd urging him to shoot. Make up your minds like.

Back on track, I still say that the poor movement of the forwards last night contributed to both Gibson and Anderson not having as good a game as they would have liked. Additionally Obertan put a couple of cracking crosses into the box but again there was not enough movement. I would have liked to have seen Owen start alongside one of the kids. Then sub later.

no, off course not. Im just saying on one hand i've heard several United fans today saying "he shouldn't shoot so much" and then last night everyone in the crowd urging him to shoot. Make up your minds like.

Back on track, I still say that the poor movement of the forwards last night contributed to both Gibson and Anderson not having as good a game as they would have liked. Additionally Obertan put a couple of cracking crosses into the box but again there was not enough movement. I would have liked to have seen Owen start alongside one of the kids. Then sub later.

I'm actually a big fan of his shooting, because that is one area our central midfielders don't threaten much. Scholes has a great shot but rarely gets space to get one off cleanly these days. I worry that opposition players will start to focus on that aspect of Gibson's game and negate it.

I thought the movement up front was terrible, even when runs were made midfielders were forced to wait too long to pass and it did no favors to Anderson or Gibson. Not having any of the senior central midfielders didn't help either, because neither Anderson nor Gibson is at the point where they are stepping forward to take the reins in the middle.

I think starting Owen and one of Carrick or Fletcher would have been more beneficial to the younger players than the lineup that was sent out Wednesday. I'm not a fan of sending the kids out without a few experienced leaders in key areas because we can't expect too much from them against experienced professionals at this stage.

He did, and it was a cracking goal

And yet he's not started another league game since

to be fair to him, he's been injured about 2 months. The games he did start last year, i thought he gave a good account of himself.
Just think its too early to write the kids off as a lot of fans seem intent on doing

I'm actually a big fan of his shooting, because that is one area our central midfielders don't threaten much. Scholes has a great shot but rarely gets space to get one off cleanly these days. I worry that opposition players will start to focus on that aspect of Gibson's game and negate it.

I thought the movement up front was terrible, even when runs were made midfielders were forced to wait too long to pass and it did no favors to Anderson or Gibson. Not having any of the senior central midfielders didn't help either, because neither Anderson nor Gibson is at the point where they are stepping forward to take the reins in the middle.

I think starting Owen and one of Carrick or Fletcher would have been more beneficial to the younger players than the lineup that was sent out Wednesday. I'm not a fan of sending the kids out without a few experienced leaders in key areas because we can't expect too much from them against experienced professionals at this stage.

pretty much my thoughts on the matter

yes to having Macheda OR Wellbeck + other experienced forward up front - as for Gibson, I think he's in the shop window for sale - can't see him getting enough games at United , especially if OH makes a return to the fold

Im not sure Hargreaves will get that many games in the middle. His passing is actually cack.

I'd like to see him get a spell at RB, he's quick, good man marker, good tackler and a good crosser.

The boy should play to his strengths more. Two superb goals thus far.

Interesting one. Spurs game first half, they arguably had the better of the midfield, they seemed to have possession for large periods. Yet Gibson has potentially decided the game with two cracking strikes...

All those slatting Gibson on this thread are looking a bit silly now really! From tonights one performance he will probably go from not being good enough before to being our most important midfielder on the forum! Its early days yet for him but he defo has a chance to make it at the top if he knuckles down!

A player who can take the ball and score a goal out of nothing is always handy to have, regardless of how 'technically lacking' he may be.

I think its a case of giving him the game time & then judging from there, he certainly looks like he improves with the experience he gets from the first team.

This is why I love having him in the squad and think he'll get plenty of games this season - he's not afraid to shoot, and occasionally he scores goals like the ones he's scored tonight.

Told you yous were all fecking idiots

I mean if you can write him off after one game im entitled to wipe your nose in it after one game

Its no surprise, he got game time last season in the CC and a few other games and produced. The boy will do well given time and support. But you're all so fecking impatient when it comes to home growns that you cant see the woods for the trees

Maybe SAF and his staff knew what they were doing when they offered him a new contract this summer.

Told you yous were all fecking idiots

I mean if you can write him off after one game im entitled to wipe your nose in it after one game

Its no surprise, he got game time last season in the CC and a few other games and produced. The boy will do well given time and support. But you're all so fecking impatient when it comes to home growns that you cant see the woods for the trees

Wise words

Two great strikes, but his overall performance wasn't brilliant. What a midfielder does off the ball is just as important as what he does on it, and that's what Gibson lacks most.

Hull..

Had a good enough game today tho :)

Two great strikes, but his overall performance wasn't brilliant. What a midfielder does off the ball is just as important as what he does on it, and that's what Gibson lacks most.

I dont care if he sits on his fat arse for 85 mins if he goes and produces 2 strikes like that every game