Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Thats the point ive been trying to make.. none of us know. I just think its premature to right a young fella off at the moment, when he has done reasonably well in the limited chances he has been given. We need to get a good look at him in a settled team. I suspect we'll hang on to him for another 1-2 years by which time probably Scholes and Giggs will be gone, and then there will be opportunities.

It might be too premature to write a player off completely, actually it definitely is. But one can still give their opinion and speculate as to whether he will or not. If he turns out to be class, then I'll be delighted that I was proven wrong.

It's easier for a player of Fletcher's type to become better. A lot of his best attributes are down to physical traits. The likes of Carrick tend to lean more towards the mental aspects of the game. Most either have it, or they don't.

mental smental

None of us know Gibson's character. We can only judge by what Fergie, etc tell us and by all accounts he has busted a gut the last year hence getting a new contract

mental smental

None of us know Gibson's character. We can only judge by what Fergie, etc tell us and by all accounts he has busted a gut the last year hence getting a new contract

What's Gibson good at? The things that Fletcher has, Gibson simply hasn't got. He will never be able to dominate a match with physicality, his movement and lack of stamina stands out, and he simply isn't a leader. He is more like Carrick. Gibson will not turn out to be the new Fletcher.

Exactly the reason that I can't understand why some compare him to Fletcher. He's far more like a Carrick or a Barry.

Barry is more like Fletcher than Carrick. Good but not brilliant technically, runs around a lot, has a high work rate, etc.

No one thought Carrick would make it at a big club when he was 22.

I did. And so did many who had followed him at West Ham and Spurs. He's technically gifted, but hasn't probably fulfilled his true potential for one reason or another. Although he's still a very, very good player.

I don't think Gibson has that same potential. He has Huddlestone potential, not Carrick potential.

He can be our new artillery weapon to replace the Scholes threat from midfield.

He is like a cross between Lampard and Carrick, which makes for a decent all round midfielder. I thought he had a very good game and answered some of his critics. Those who write him off so easily should have a little more faith and patience in him. These youngsters are unpredictable in their development and there is no telling how good they could become. As long as Fergie believes in his potential he will be given chances here.

What's Gibson good at? The things that Fletcher has, Gibson simply hasn't got. He will never be able to dominate a match with physicality, his movement and lack of stamina stands out, and he simply isn't a leader. He is more like Carrick. Gibson will not turn out to be the new Fletcher.

He's got a brilliant shot, as you may have noticed, he can pass long or short on a sixpence with either foot and he's a big unit as well so he isn't going to get brushed off the ball. In fact, more than Lampard I think the style of play he reminds me of is Charlton (at least from the little I've seen of Sir Bob!).

Of course he has a long way to go before he's anything like that good, but the things he really needs to improve on physically and footballing wise are not a problem at all - stamina, closing, showing for the ball and defensive positioning all come with time and experience.

As I mentioned, in the past he has apparently had a questionable mentality (there was a preseason a couple of years ago where he apparently turned up massively overweight, Wolves were unimpressed with the way he drifted through games etc) but seems to have improved on this. There's a quote from Ole that mentions he has been doing extra sessions and training with the reserves if the first team aren't training, for example, so perhaps that's a sign he's getting his game in order. And then of course there's the quote from Ole a couple of years ago that (and I paraphrase) 'Darron's like a Ferrari when he gets going, but sometimes he has trouble starting the engine.'

He has got a brilliant shot, sometimes, and he can pass it, sometimes, but it is very inconsistent. He gave the ball away an awful lot last night with short passes going astray. He scored two brilliant goals though. He also doesn't demand the ball and that's what he would need to do in his position. He needs to take the ball off the defenders and take responsibility for the play but I don't see that in him. Maybe he will learn that trait, I dunno.

sticking the ball in the back of the net

long range passing

Don't be going overboard, 2 goals in the one game don't automatically make him brilliant at putting the ball in the back of the net. His record on loan was pretty poor, Antwerp 1 goal in 33, Wolves 1 goal in 21. He scored two great goals in the one game, but don't exaggerate it.

Don't be going overboard, 2 goals in the one game don't automatically make him brilliant at putting the ball in the back of the net. His record on loan was pretty poor, Antwerp 1 goal in 33, Wolves 1 goal in 21. He scored two great goals in the one game, but don't exaggerate it.

5 goals in 20 appearances for United is pretty good, and some of those would be sub appearances.

At Wolves he was largely played wide on the right which isn't his position and could be used as a mitigating factor to explain some of the performances and the lack of goals.

Fletch did less with the ball and gave it away more at the same age. He also used to shy away from the ball very often, admittedly partly thanks to the crowd booing him but still.

Exactly - now hes one of our best players.

Some players dont shine straight away, but Fergie will know which to keep.

No one thought Carrick would make it at a big club when he was 22.

Wenger was trying to sign him at age 23 while Portsmouth were interested and right before he eventually signed for Spurs. If Vieira had departed like he said he wanted to do, then it's been said/reported that Wenger would have closed the deal on Carrick. And for a sum of like 3-4m. He'd have flourished with Arsenal in their passing system. After he signed for Spurs there was virtually no chance he'd ever play for Arsenal in his career. Wenger had been a long-time admirer of Carrick.

At Wolves he was largely played wide on the right which isn't his position and could be used as a mitigating factor to explain some of the performances and the lack of goals.

Like Fletcher in his first 2-3 seasons?

Speaking of said player on the right wing, who remembers this beauty of a cross (just after the 2:00 mark)? Also in that video that might surprise is Ruud's pass to Rooney. Sublime.

No, you totally are wrong about dominating Midfied. If you watched the match you'd see an Anderson-Gibson combo totally dominant and were solid. I"m not sure if you watched the match. You can hardly see Huddlestone or who ever was next to him.
I watched the match, but I certainly didn't see us dominating the midfield. Anderson did some good things, Gibson kept it fairly basic but was solid and scored two great goals, but there wasn't any amount of control about what we did. It was Spurs that were playing as a team, while we just won the ball, tried to force something to happen straight away and lost the ball again.

I get the feeling people are over-rating how we performed just because we won. Likewise, many under-rated our performance against Besiktas just because we lost. Personally I felt we performed much better against Besiktas than we did against Spurs (although Anderson and Gibson weren't particularly good against them either), but this time we just got the benefit of the two Gibson strikes.

I thought Gibson did a lot more than just score but that last paragraph is true. I'm not sure Gibson is to blame for the problems in midfield beforehand though. When Carrick came on it was Gisbon that linked up the most with him, while Anderson ran amok making those marauding runs he does so well.

In fact, Gibson has always looked decent alongside Carrick and generally looks solid enough with a more senior partner, while Anderson's lack of intelligent movement has cause problems for most of our midfielders, not least Paul Scholes (on numerous occasions)

This is not to say Anderson isn't potentially a much better player than Gibson (before the the usual suspects jump down my throat) it's just that his lack of discipline has often made his partner look worse than they actually are and Gibson would be more vulnerable to this than most (seeing as he's nowhere near as good as, for example, Scholes).
That did cross my mind while making that post. We do tend to struggle when Anderson is in a midfield two when his partner isn't Carrick, Hargreaves or Fletcher, so maybe I'm being a little harsh on Gibson. But that's the problem I see with Gibson. He doesn't seem to have the positioning and discipline to play the deeper role, and doesn't seem to have the vision and passing ability to play the slightly more attacking role. He's just a solid player who can do everything to an ok standard, other than his shooting where he is obviously our biggest midfield goal threat.

Maybe he'll grow into the role and he's just getting used to playing in the first team. Hopefully. But I don't really see it.

so, unless he runs around like a maniac he'll never become a top player?

thats essentially what you're saying right?

you do realise that there are different types of footballer other than the midfield enforcer types?

Not necessarily...as long as he possesses other qualities which make up for this "lack of dynamism".

Riquelme springs to my mind....but players like him in the modern game are becoming more extinct..

5 in 19 for United over the last 2 years. Thats pretty good for most central midfielders whichever way you cut it!

you refer to his time at Antwerp when he was a kid and his time at Wolves when he was unfit & carrying injuries. You're really stretching to find things to put the fella down. I'm talking about the progress he has made in the last season (evidenced by the statements of his coaches) and his potential (which we can argue about). But at the end of the day, for a CM, he does score goals. Always a bonus for any team, wherever he ends up

That did cross my mind while making that post. We do tend to struggle when Anderson is in a midfield two when his partner isn't Carrick, Hargreaves or Fletcher, so maybe I'm being a little harsh on Gibson. But that's the problem I see with Gibson. He doesn't seem to have the positioning and discipline to play the deeper role, and doesn't seem to have the vision and passing ability to play the slightly more attacking role. He's just a solid player who can do everything to an ok standard, other than his shooting where he is obviously our biggest midfield goal threat.

Maybe he'll grow into the role and he's just getting used to playing in the first team. Hopefully. But I don't really see it.
Frank Lampard part 2. He is a slow burner who will most likely catch fire in 2 or 3 years time.

5 in 19 for United over the last 2 years. Thats pretty good for most central midfielders whichever way you cut it!

you refer to his time at Antwerp when he was a kid and his time at Wolves when he was unfit & carrying injuries. You're really stretching to find things to put the fella down. I'm talking about the progress he has made in the last season (evidenced by the statements of his coaches) and his potential (which we can argue about). But at the end of the day, for a CM, he does score goals. Always a bonus for any team, wherever he ends up

It's a very good rate - similar to, if not better than, Lampard and Gerrard who both take their teams' penalties and free kicks...

Time will be the ultimate judge of this thread and this post, but he is quickly developing a habit of putting the ball in the back of the net. What he needs however are games, if we can give him games, he will become very good for us and not a mid club or Hull or Stoke.

He was always gonna be better than Stoke or Hull, the people who made those comments are ignorant of our reserves

Time will be the ultimate judge of this thread and this post, but he is quickly developing a habit of putting the ball in the back of the net. What he needs however are games, if we can give him games, he will become very good for us and not a mid club or Hull or Stoke.

Agreed. Time will tell.

He's developed that nice strikers' habit of being no better than middling, but scoring nonetheless. Despite not being a striker. If he keeps playing he'll keep getting better, and his goals make him useful even when he's not at his best.

Everytime Gibson is about to shoot I hold my breath, he is absolutely lethal!!

Long shots: 20

His overall performance apart from the goal was mediocre. Take nothing away from the strike, top class, but to be a Manchester United midfielder you need to have a lot more... The jury's still out.

His overall performance apart from the goal was mediocre. Take nothing away from the strike, top class, but to be a Manchester United midfielder you need to have a lot more... The jury's still out.

True. But his goals are certainly helping him endear himself to the fans.