Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Thing about the Fletcher comparisons is Fletcher had a lot of good performances when he was a youngster. He was inconsistent but he offered quite a bit when he played well.

I haven't seen Gibson offer anything except the odd long range goal and seriously how long can a player live off that.

He's so far out of his depth he's left United and come back again.

The last couple of performances haven't done him any favours. He's played a decent amount of football of late, or at least by his standards, but there hasn't yet been the sort of improvement he probably needs to really become part of the first team picture. I don't think Fergie will be too happy at having to hook him twice in a week like that, even though the system didn't help him today.

no quite frankly

and take obertan with you

Neither of them are anywhere near first team quality at this point in time. Gibson had a spell in the first team last season when he scored a couple of goals and looked pretty decent. Since then he's not looked anything like a premier league player.
Obertan will probably be given more time but I doubt whether he has the mental strength required to force himself into SAF's plans.

This looks like jumping on a bandwagon, but enough is enough

Twice he's looked inept, twice he's gone off the pitch, and twice we've been a team transformed this week

Fair enough Giggs was his replacement, does make a difference!

But this lad aint a United player. Good luck to him I'm sure he'll be a fine acquisition at some mid table club, but he's a waste of time here. Unless we've played absolutely piss poor opposition, I cannot recall us winning the midfield battle against anyone with him in the side

In fairness today first half there was feck all going on round him either

There was this point when twice in the row he had horror touches to give the ball away. But that's Gibson for you. His technical ability is appalling unless he has serious issues with nerves which I doubt. And physical he's probably out worst player. So I'm not sure what the point of Gibson is really.

IMO he'll leave to get more playing time. At his ages he needs games every week in the premier league to develop. I reckon he'll become a very solid midtable midfielder.

not going to slag the lad. he's trying his best.

What I find disturbing with Gibson is his workrate, way to poor. He has to grab every chance he get to play but he ain't. Today it was many times he could get in with a tackle, but he is just to comfortable and let them run with it instead of trying to break up play.. No ability what so ever to play a dangerous ball aswell, always the safe pass.

Gibson isn't a Darren Fletcher. Or even a John O'Shea. He's a Kieran Richardson.

He's not even a Richardson, snooty could run really fast as well as kick a ball really hard.

Gibson is like that guy who does the knuckle puck in Mighty Ducks. He's got feck all other than a powerful shot. His accent and hair are shit as well. Slightly off track but needed to get that off the ol chest!

He's a nothing player. I suspect he'll be sold in the summer.

With Park abroad, Scholes out injured for 2 to 3 months, and Hargreaves non-existent, he's been playing because there's no one else (at least I hope that's the reason). It hasn't been a good week for him.

I would not get on Gibson's back too much for the last two games. He's not really helped his case but you got to put the matches in context.

Fergie's last two team selections are what has contributed to two piss poor first half performances from United and this has affected everyone. In both games we have gone with one upfront and not played with proper wide men and a vastly improved performance has followed when Fergie has remedied this problem at half-time. The basic issue is one of balance really. Without the natural wide men the entire team has looked disjointed and everyone's performance has suffered as a result.

Gibson was no worse than Scholes or Fletcher against Blackpool and no worse than Anderson today. It's difficult to make your mark when the team has no cohesion and everyone's individual performance is being effected as a result.

I also have doubts if Gibson has the ability to make it at United but I'm writing these two first half performances off as a means of accessing most of the playersinvolved. I think Fergie has made a couple of risky team selections wanting to rest Giggs and Nani because of the problems we have with the availability of proven wide-men with Park and Valencia unavailable and has been bailed out by good second half performances after he has remedied this problem. With Park now back imminently we should be over this phase.

Fergie's last two team selections are what has contributed to two piss poor first half performances from United and this has affected everyone. In both games we have gone with one upfront and not played with proper wide men and a vastly improved performance has followed when Fergie has remedied this problem at half-time.
It was very difficult to work out what the feck formation you were supposed to be playing first half. It looked like the tilted 4231 with Gibson fatally miscast as the deep-lying AM (the role that Park plays).

Obertan was playing behind Owen and Hernandez. Gibson and Anderson in midfield. Scholes deep. No real width.

It didn't work at all.

It was very difficult to work out what the feck formation you were supposed to be playing first half. It looked like the tilted 4231 with Gibson fatally miscast as the deep-lying AM (the role that Park plays).

I'd agree and for me is the main reason behind the poor first half performance.

Today we were supposed to play with a diamond formation according to Fergie and ITV but working who was supposed to play where was hard as it clearly did not function. I missed first five minutes but generally we had no width at all first half, aside from Fabio a few times, before the changes were made.

I'm always prepared to give any player a chance and coming from an Irish background myself I've always wanted Gibson to do well. But frankly he's just not United quality. Over the past week he has managed to fail to impose himself on the midfields of Blackpool and Southampton. Whenever he plays the game seems to take place around him not through him. His level is Wolves, Wigan, Birmingham or Fulham, and judging him on the Southampton performance that's being generous. The stuff about him being played out of position is bollocks, he's just not good enough.

I'm always prepared to give any player a chance and coming from an Irish background myself I've always wanted Gibson to do well. But frankly he's just not United quality. Over the past week he has managed to fail to impose himself on the midfields of Blackpool and Southampton. Whenever he plays the game seems to take place around him not through him. His level is Wolves, Wigan, Birmingham or Fulham, and judging him on the Southampton performance that's being generous. The stuff about him being played out of position is bollocks, he's just not good enough.

I generally agree that he probably won't make it at United. This is an opinion based on the fact he is getting into his mid twenties and as yet has not quiet shown enough to be considered good enough.

But you can't hold the fact that he failed to impose himself against Blackpool and Southampton against him when the likes of Scholes, Anderson and Fletcher have also struggled in our first half performances and performed no better than Gibson. That's all down to how Fergie has lined up these past couple of games . We have turned these games around when Fergie has remedied this mistake.

I can't see anyone mentioning him being played out of position in this thread much either, although Fergie shifted him wide left for abit against Blackpool. Have to admit only read the last couple of pages.

Obertan was playing behind Owen and Hernandez. Gibson and Anderson in midfield. Scholes deep. No real width.

It didn't work at all.
Well, Obertan looked as if he was high (Nani role) with (definitely) Owen playing deeper.

I really couldn't work out what was going on. It looked like the lopped 4231 with Scholes and Anderson being very poor; a deep-lying AM in Gibson (Park role) and a high one in Obertan (Nani role); and Owen trying to be Berbatov and Hernandez getting no service.

And also, the problem with the diamond formation is that the central midfielders are mobile and defensive-oriented enough to cover when fullbacks are pushing up for width. Scholes and Anderson didn't do enough of that, Gibson certainly didn't. I felt Fabio in some cases was rushing back hopelessly after his surge.

So yeah, painful to watch, both offensively and defensively. Hope Fergie won't pull this trick ever again. Ever.

Gibson has the potential to be one of the best players from our academy. All foreign players are great and British ones are crap?!!

His passing range is fantastic; shoots like thunder and works hard to get around the pitch like a gazelle. Has the vision of a Scholes. He just need a few games to get his match fitness.

I still maintain a loan next season is the best option. It'll increase value as well so it's win - win, really.

Loan him to a low ranking PL team where he'd feel the pressure of the relegation pull - it'd do his work rate the world of good, he'd get shit loads of games and his experience would probably double over the course of a season.

I personally have my doubts that Gibson is good enough, you can just feel it, and you know that he doesn't really believe he's gonna make it here - his work rate and desire just don't look as intense as they should for a player trying to break into one of the best teams in the world, but you never know, you just never know.

But while we wait to find out, lets loan him.

I still maintain a loan next season is the best option. It'll increase value as well so it's win - win, really.

Loan him to a low ranking PL team where he'd feel the pressure of the relegation pull - it'd do his work rate the world of good, he'd get shit loads of games and his experience would probably double over the course of a season.

I personally have my doubts that Gibson is good enough, you can just feel it, and you know that he doesn't really believe he's gonna make it here - his work rate and desire just don't look as intense as they should for a player trying to break into one of the best teams in the world, but you never know, you just never know.

But while we wait to find out, lets loan him.

Seen rumors about him rejecting loan moves and his comments a few months ago in response to Ireland manager Trapattoni suggests that might be the case. Like you said he probably knows he is on borrowed time at United and is trying to milk his stay as long as possible. Can't blame him for that, he is living the dream.

Gibson has the potential to be one of the best players from our academy. All foreign players are great and British ones are crap?!!

His passing range is fantastic; shoots like thunder and works hard to get around the pitch like a gazelle. Has the vision of a Scholes. He just need a few games to get his match fitness.

You're having a laugh

And also, the problem with the diamond formation is that the central midfielders are mobile and defensive-oriented enough to cover when fullbacks are pushing up for width. Scholes and Anderson didn't do enough of that, Gibson certainly didn't. I felt Fabio in some cases was rushing back hopelessly after his surge.

So yeah, painful to watch, both offensively and defensively. Hope Fergie won't pull this trick ever again. Ever.

To be fair this was potentially the easiest game left in the season. Last chance to give a few back up players the chance to shine. Gibson probably belonged to that group, and when Park returns I'd much rather he get a chance at centre mid rather than the average Gibson. He's getting his opportunity to prove that he can contribute to the business end of the season, and so far he hasnt justified anything.

Total passenger in my eyes. No work rate? no passion? No thanks!!!!

You're having a laugh

You beat me to it. Firstly his workrate is abysmal. I don't know if he has a 3rd gear or not but he's certainly not willing to use it. I don't even think that he realises the role that he's given. He plays in midfield, the busiest area of the pitch by far. And yet he strolls along not even tackling, not tracking runs, not recovering the ball, not any of the basic tasks that is required in a team chasing a Treble (ya i said it :smirk:)

I honestly think Gibson is lost. He doesn't know what to do on the pitch and what kind of player he is. It's almost as if he trying to make no mistakes and please the gaffer or something
He obviously's got something in him, otherwise why would SAF keep him around.
No one's got it all. But he needs to start working on his strong sides, not fixing his flaws. This is what I teach my kids.

:lol:

Oh my God

Gibson has been poor in his last two matches, but the two matches he had before that were arguably the most promising he's had. He was actually showing hunger, work-rate and looking for the ball.

If he can get to that level consistently he'll be a fine squad player. If he can't then he's got no place here.