Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

SAF does value Gibson, even Scholesy does as in his interview he said he liked to look at Gibson train etc....

.. But to say that he will make it is a totally different story imo.

IF he makes it, he definitely has to up his game, and in that he'll need playing time in which I don't think we can give him.

He has to improve a lot of aspects in his game too and he just doesn't stand out as a good MF yet, I mean there is room for improvement, but will United be willing to give him game time when all the games from now on will be important ?

He definitely is worth keeping, imo. The O'Shea type of player which will do the job, but I just don't think Gibson has what it takes to be a regular.

Just my opinion.

He definitely is worth keeping, imo. The O'Shea type of player which will do the job, but I just don't think Gibson has what it takes to be a regular.

Can't argue against that. The only issue is whether or not he's a temporary stop gap while waiting for other better youngsters to come through. If a club put in a solid decent bid for him, then in my mind it'll be down to Gibson himself whether or not he stays or goes.

1. Richardson never started in a single match as important as that Bayern game for us in the champions league.

In the season that Fergie had most faith in Richardson we did not get very far in the champions league so we can not know if Fergie would have played him or not in a game that important. He did however play Richardson in loads of important games that season including live CL matches and Liverpool home and away in the league and in the cup.

2. Richardson never succeed at any point in taking the place of a bonafide starter fora significant period.

Neither has Gibson. Gibson has only ever had two runs of consecutive games.
One of them was three games long and it included a league cup match and a dead rubber CL game. The other was two matches in December 2009 when we were so short of players Carrick and Fletcher were playing in central defence. I.e. apart from under exceptional circumstances Gibson has never played consecutive meaningful matches.

Richardson had a couple of decent runs of 5/6 starts in a row.

We could have easily played 4-4-2 instead of starting a Gibson. After all we were at home. To suggest his start was of no consequence or was by default because others were injured or tired is just clutching at straws.

Well yes we could have. But seeing as you are clinging on to this one bit of evidence that Gibson is very seriously rated by Fergie if ayone is clutching at straws...

Furthermore from that Bayern game till the end of that season Gibson took over Carrick's place in our starting sides.

I am starting to think you must be confusing Gibson with another player. He only started one more match that season. (Out of five).

The fact is SAF value the player way more than a lot of you. & way more than he values a lot of the fellas you mentioned.

Chief, you are going to have to face up to being wrong here. Richardson was clearly trusted by Fergie just as much as Gibson is now. If fergie really seriously rated the lad he would give him a run of proper matches but he never has.

The fact that Gibson is getting a few starts here and there does not mean Fergie knows he is going to come good. It just puts him in the same basket as a load of other young players that racked up a few dozen appearances; some of them made it at United, most did not.

Richardson and Gibson have something else in common. Richardson also suffered the ignominy of being hauled off at half time for Giggs in a game we were losing against weak opposition. Pompey April 2007. It was the last meaningful match that Richardson ever started for us.

I'm talking about our squads for the last games of that season. Carrick appeared 2 times again after that Bayern game, with Gibson either taking his place on either the bench or the pitch.

Nonsense.

Firstly you said:
Furthermore from that Bayern game till the end of that season Gibson took over Carrick's place in our starting sides.
So you were clearly talking about starting.

Secondly if you look at the actual make up of the squads for those five games you will see that:

For the first two Carrick was out of the squad and Gibson started one and was on the bench for the other.

For the next three Carrick was on the bench for all of them and Gibson for just two. In one of those games (the spurs one when the title chance was still alive) when they were both on the bench together, Carrick came on with half an hour to go when the result was still in the balance and Gibson did not play at all.

I really do not understand how you can conclude from that that Gibson took his place. Carrick was also missing from the sqauds from a few matches before the Bayern game but Gibson did not take his place in those either.

In the season that Fergie had most faith in Richardson we did not get very far in the champions league so we can not know if Fergie would have played him or not in a game that important.
But we did have games as important. The one we got kicked out in for example. I'll be very surprised if we cross checked and found that Richardson started that game.

He did however play Richardson in loads of important games that season including live CL matches and Liverpool home and away in the league and in the cup.
True. But my question scepticism stems from the question, did he start those games when we had another choice? Because we have used Gibson in important games, (i.e Bayern ay home, City away) even when we had a choice to not use him.
Which is what separates him from the likes of Richardson.

Neither has Gibson. Gibson has only ever had two runs of consecutive games.
I was talking about our squads for the last games of that season when I mentioned Gibson keeping out a fit first teamer from our team. Carrick appeared 2 times again after that Bayern game, due to Gibson either taking his place on either the bench or the pitch. Richardon NEVER did that to a single first teamer.

... apart from under exceptional circumstances Gibson has never played consecutive meaningful matches.
He faced Bayern, Blackburn and Man City in succession last season. None of them dead rubbers.

Well yes we could have. But seeing as you are clinging on to this one bit of evidence that Gibson is very seriously rated by Fergie if ayone is clutching at straws...
I'm not clinging on it at all. I've simply used it as one of different reasons why I place Gibson above the likes of Richardson.

Chief, you are going to have to face up to being wrong here. Richardson was clearly trusted by Fergie just as much as Gibson is now.
I don't agree at all. I'm not convinced by evidence presented to hat effect.

..Richardson and Gibson have something else in common. Richardson also suffered the ignominy of being hauled off at half time for Giggs in a game we were losing against weak opposition. Pompey April 2007. It was the last meaningful match that Richardson ever started for us.
We shall see if that ends up being the case for Gibson. I seriously doubt it.

Very poor today while he was on.

Yup, mind boggling that such a limited player like him is anywhere near our first team squad. If we were really that short of midfield players that SAF has no choice but to field him, then I would much rather Sir Alex took a risk on someone like Pogba, seriously, he can do a better job than Gibson.

Once again Gibson highlighted why he shouldn't be anywhere near the 1st 11 for United. We always look poor when he plays in the middle. Yes, Anderson was pathetically poor but he has shown what he can do - Gibson hasn't. I know folk on here will put me down for jumping on the Gibson bandwagon hate campaign but I honestly don't think he would get in the Wigan side, never mind United reserves!

Last 2 games with Gibson on the pitch (103mins), United conceded 3 goals, scored 0. After he's taken off (77mins): conceded 0, scored 5.

Last 2 games with Gibson on the pitch (103mins), United conceded 3 goals, scored 0. After he's taken off (77mins): conceded 0, scored 5.

He shouldn't play for the first team again, he's had his chances this year he blew them all, his United career is coming to an end.

For me if Gibson left tomorrow I wouldn't batt an eyelid , dont rate him whatsoever, very average player IMO

In his defense the system today as the manager has just admitted was the main prob. On the other hand Gibson has time and time again been poor. He has built his reputation on his shooting ability but I play in malta and there are some amazing shooters here too. that doesn't mean they are good enough to paly for man utd.

Anderson was equally inept today, if not more

I always laugh when this 'defence' is repeatedly offered of Gibson. It's never disagreement that he's peen poor, merely that others have just been just as bad.

For me Gibson is pretty much exclusively in the bottom 3 performers every time he plays. He just never steps up.....ever.

Anderson was even worse today but we know with Anderson (now atleast) that it's an exception rather than the norm. Gibson however was poor once again. Maybe it's harsh on him since he's playing a bit on the wing but he's really rather rubbish right now

Has he ever played decent?

Whenever i have seen him he has been piss poor.

Average player. Should be sold pronto. He needs to move on for his own good.

Wrong to single him out as most of the team was rubbish in the first half. But will inevitably leave at the end of the season. Will never make the cut at United.

It has to be said Obertan had a mare tonight as well.

Absolutely not!!!

Call it knee-jerk from me if you want but in my eyes it is plain to see that he is so far out of his depth with the first XI of United it is untrue.

He has played reasonably in some games for United but in a team that has been playing well. Admittedly, we have not been playing too well in some games this year but Gibson just does not look like he is going to help UNited tick in games.

Astonishingly poor tonight (not the only one) but just sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

Played out of position again today due to the odd team selection, not defending him as I don't think he has enough to make it here, but this type of game is not really the type of chance he needs to prove any of us wrong.

Anderson looked even more out of his depth, but that's no excuse for Gibson's performance, he was so poor. I'm not saying he'll definitely never make it, (although it would surprise me if he did) but he's a long long way off at the moment.

Another player that is frustrating more often than not. When is he going to finally realize that potential?

You must have missed pretty much every United game since late November if you're still asking that question. The lad has been in great form from then till now, super game after super game until for some reason SAF has reduced his game time since New Year. I'll certainly not let one bad display detract from that progress he's shown along with his obvious ability.

As for Gibson, just too limited a player to make it at this level(CL, PL challenging standards)IMHO. He's had his moments where he's looked like staking a claim but when the shots aren't going in for him, he offers little else to the fluidity of the team. His passing is so-so, his composure is poor, his tackling is poor, and his technical standards are very low in relation to the other CM's at the club and indeed at the top club's in Europe.

I remember Fergie mentioned Fletcher in the same breath as Ronaldo and Rooney in terms of the young talent ready to blossom into stellar player's in the squad at the time(around 2005ish), I've never heard him acclaim Gibson in the same way or show anywhere near the same faith in terms of trusting him to play regularly. That makes the Fletcher-Gibson comparison futile IMO. Not to mention Fletcher showed a heck of a lot more in his locker than Gibson has when he played.

Gibson will be a good player....

if he goes to a team like Blackpool.

He's never going to be great for us. Never. (and yes, you can quote me on that)

This looks like jumping on a bandwagon, but enough is enough

Twice he's looked inept, twice he's gone off the pitch, and twice we've been a team transformed this week

Fair enough Giggs was his replacement, does make a difference!

But this lad aint a United player. Good luck to him I'm sure he'll be a fine acquisition at some mid table club, but he's a waste of time here. Unless we've played absolutely piss poor opposition, I cannot recall us winning the midfield battle against anyone with him in the side

In fairness today first half there was feck all going on round him either

Over the last 2-3 years, it has become more and more clear that he is not good enough, too one dimensional and that he will never cut it. And I am sure Fergie sees that too

A player who'll be good enough for a lower level team will also sometimes play alright for a higher level team.. Gibson looks good enough for a lower level team. Probably has some potential, there must be a reason SAF plays him as much as he has done, but he hasnt looked good enough for us more then a very few times

Eh. I can't take it.

He seems worse than Fletcher was during his troubled times. Seems to lack concentration as well as skill.