Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Why do the powers that be feel the need to try + change our game?? Over a hundred yrs of history+love so why mess with it?? Are they bored?

Is this in relation to the spurs thing or have I missed something?

He just heard about the backpass rule.

Why do the powers that be feel the need to try + change our game?? Over a hundred yrs of history+love so why mess with it?? Are they bored?

Is this in relation to the spurs thing or have I missed something?

There's talk of FIFA changing football to a summer game played from March to October.

It was in one of the rags today. I'm guessing he might be referring to that.

He's done little to impress all season for me. He's generally done little or nothing positive when on the pitch. Today was an example of that when he didn't achieve anything aside from hurting our attacks. If he had some great skill, I'd be more willing to give him time, but nothing he does stands out.

Let's be honest here, regardless of whether you rate the lad or not, he was absolutely rubbish tonight. Things got so much better when he was taken off at HT.

Bad attitude from the lad today.

Kicking the ball deep into the stands in frustration was annoying.

He's done little to impress all season for me. He's generally done little or nothing positive when on the pitch. Today was an example of that when he didn't achieve anything aside from hurting our attacks. If he had some great skill, I'd be more willing to give him time, but nothing he does stands out.

Yup. Average player punching above his weight at this club.

Expect the Irish contingent to jump on this post however.

Sums his carreer for us up pretty well.

At this point in time he shouldn't be starting games unless we have an injury crisis, especially when he was expected to then play out of position when we switched formation. Plenty of time to come good yet, just depends on how we strengthen in the summer as he is expendable.

Are we allowed to criticize him yet? He was rubbish tonight. But then so was Fletcher for that first half. The two of them together are just painful to watch.

Bruce has a lot of money left over from the Bent deal....

He does absolutely nothing and seems like a liability to me. He isn't much creative so you'd expect him to runaround and work hard but not the guy just stands there and watches people go around him as if he isn't there.
Whatever potential he might have, I am not bothered just sell him right way. We may get around £4m for him which I guess a lot for him. I certainly don't want him anywhere near the starting 11.

While we are at it Darren Flecther too needs some time off

Unfair to judge him on today's performance. Was shifted out of position, and to be fair, most of the team were dire in the first half.

He was given 45 minutes half of which was in a position I'd guess he's never played before. Not to mention it was his first start in ages

To get him games, we need to bring him on as a sub when we're comfortable and refrain from putting him in a midfield with other players who've been out of the team. There's also the trouble of whom to play him with. He doesn't do enough to play with just Scholes or Anderson, isn't creative enough to play with just Fletcher or Carrick. I just can't see where he fits to start matches when we're poor at playing 433 or 451, especially with Rooney being completely mediocre.

I just dont get it with Gibson. I want him to be great as I do with all united players. But he seems very average to me

I don't see why we keep persisting with him TBH. I just don't see it.

He must be impressing in training or something.

It annoys me when you have the usual suspects saying that people "blame Gibson". I don't blame him at all, it's not his fault he's picked, but he simply doesn't offer enough in terms of creative ideas and penetrative running.

He will all too regularly play the easiest of balls either backwards or sideways which, let's face it, don't help us break teams down in the slightest. He's all too often a passenger who doesn't offer enough for a team pushing for the title.

I don't blame him for our first half performance in defense, but he did nothing but take up a spot on the pitch when going forward. The defense was just everyone being shit.

Are we allowed to criticize him yet? He was rubbish tonight. But then so was Fletcher for that first half. The two of them together are just painful to watch.

Bruce has a lot of money left over from the Bent deal....

I don't think anyone's saying that Gibson was the only rubbish player in that first half. He was one of many.

Is he or has he ever been good enough? No. Will he one day be good enough for us? Maybe, but most likely no. I hope and think Cleverly will take over his place in the squad next season. Also, if we go out and buy a midfielder in the summer, what's the point of Gibson?

Of course he's not bloody good enough.

Someone tell Steve Bruce to offer us 10 million to get him off our books.

He's not the worst player in the world, but everytime he turns up for us I expect a thoroughly pedestrian performance from our midfield due to his lack of mobility and spark.

Besides a good day shooting from long range there is simply very little he offers the team. Hopefully he goes by summer because there is simply no way he can effectively cover for Giggs or Scholes (when both these legends retire).

Judging by this seasons form he won't make it, he doesn't have enough to his game to make it as a squad player, never mind a first team player.

I dont rate him but he was no shitter than the rest of them in the first half

Exactly.

Scholes and Fletcher were just as bad, if not worse. And our attack was anonymous. Defending was atrocious. All round stinker in first half where noone could lift themselves from the mire.

Everyone picked it up second half, and if Gibson and stayed on, and say Fletcher gone off, I'm sure Gibbo would've put in a much improved performance too.

I don't think anyone's saying that Gibson was the only rubbish player in that first half. He was one of many.

Agreed but all the other players who were rubbish in the first half have actually showed their class in the past. Gibson however hasn't, he can shoot but that's about it.

If we really want to test him then we should loan him, let him get games with another team and see if he impresses. He surely doesn't belong in the Manchester United first team at the moment.

Exactly.

Scholes and Fletcher were just as bad, if not worse. And our attack was anonymous. Defending was atrocious. All round stinker in first half where noone could lift themselves from the mire.

Everyone picked it up second half, and if Gibson and stayed on, and say Fletcher gone off, I'm sure Gibbo would've put in a much improved performance too.

But the thread isn't called 'Gibson, Scholes and Fletcher - We're they good enough in the first half of today's game?' It's called 'Darron Gibson - is he good enough".

Which he isn't.

So is he the Official Caf Scapegoat for the first half today?

Blaming him alone for our first half today is unfair, that's right, but asking whether he is good enough or not after his performances for us over the years is fully deserved imo and this thread is exactly about that.

I don't dislike Gibson, but he doesn't inspire. When he comes on as a subsitute I never think he will make a huge difference and he doesn't give me that..."thank goodness he is on...we have a chance now". He is not what we are looking for in midfield. I expect him to be sold in the summer.

Im not a Gibson fan, but realistically he is not a wide midfielder, and it was the only sensible option to bring Giggs on for him at half time. Not his fault, if anyone is to blame, its Fergie for starting with a 4-3-3- against Blackpool.

Blaming him alone for our first half today is unfair, that's right, but asking whether he is good enough or not after his performances for us over the years is fully deserved imo and this thread is exactly about that.

Exactly - And we should try to stick to this blueprint for the thread.