Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Jesus, are/were people seriously comparing Gibson to Barry? Utter madness.

Jesus, are/were people seriously comparing Gibson to Barry? Utter madness.

Madness because they aren't really similar players or because you think there is such a big gap in quality between the two players?

If it's the former I agree, if it's the latter then I don't. Mentality and playing time are the only two aspects I think separates them in that respect.

Maybe, I just say maybe, Barry has earn his place in the first XI by being a valuable player.

This topic is about Gibson. I want him the best but IMO he's not good enough to be better than a decent squadplayer. In the next year or two we have Pogba and Morrison knocking on the door. We will probably buy one or two new players when Hargo and Scholes is gone. Players I think of is Defour and Henderson. If we want to splash out cash maybe we go for Hamsik or Jovetic.

I can't see Gibson as a real option. Maybe I'm blind and negative but that's my view.

The thing is we will need players like Gibson.Those squad players are not to be underrated in terms of value for the general balance of the team.Right now nothing says Gibson will have to worry about the promising reserve players and one thing is sure with him is that he won't complain sitting on the bench and waiting for his chance to play which is not necessarily the case if you're going to buy a better player.
Football is a game of balance and SAF has proved it time and time again that sticking with average players is not the worst thing to do (Fletcher or Park are perfect examples).
Gibson doesn't need to be instantly a much better player to be guaranteed a future at United.

I don't think he'll really ever work in a two man midfield to be honest. He needs to play in a 3 man midfield.

I thought Barry was terrible last night.Kept losing the ball and comitting fouls, he's out of his depth.Just like Milner, 2 average players who should never have left Villa.
Gibson is IMO not that worse from Barry, the difference is the playing time Barry has

:lol:

I'm not sure why that's funny, Alex. Seems like a fair point to me.

Having said that, it's all well and good saying that Gibson is a confidence player and he just needs games to build up consistency- he has to justify his place in the side. He's been poor this season when given the chance, and it's not like he's been thrown in at the deep end where he has to play against the top teams in the league. His appearances this season have been against mediocre sides and he hasn't impressed against any of them.

I wouldn't write him off completely, but I have my doubts as to whether he's up to it.

He's alright. But he has a lot to improve to be a good squad player for us. I just don't think he's good enough on the ball right now. His manipulation of the ball is very poor. The other night, Fletcher was doing what he can, he was twisting and turning and doing the little thing that good central midfielders do to give themselves time and space. Carrick isn't as good as Fletcher at that but at his best he has good command over the football.
Gibson, from what I've seen so far, is really poor at carrying the ball, especially under pressure. I've always said he isn't good enough for us. Best I can see him is a fourth of fifth choice midfielder, when he can be first choice at a Wolves or Wigan, probably. But all the best to him, I saw talent in Fletcher, I don't in him, I hope he proves a lot of us wrong and hopefully there's much more this player that just isn't coming across on the pitch.

Come on lads, this 'barry is shit' bandwagon has gotten way way outta hand here. I'm by no means a fan but this is a player with over 400 premiership games, the majority as a standout player in a top half club, and many games as captain. Gibson does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as him at this moment in time.

Cleverley must replace Gibson. Gibson's mediocrity has gone on too long.

Jesus Christ it's not as if he's even played much this season, how many times has he been on the losing side in a United shirt when he's been on from the start? I remember Besiktas which he can hardly be blamed for but other than that I can't actually think of any.

Come on lads, this 'barry is shit' bandwagon has gotten way way outta hand here. I'm by no means a fan but this is a player with over 400 premiership games, the majority as a standout player in a top half club, and many games as captain. Gibson does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as him at this moment in time.

Agree. I'm no fan of Barry. But I agree with this.

Indeed. Barry gets too raw a deal on here most times.

mate Heskey is good enough for Capello!

It's not one game though is it? Look how far this thread goes back!

1 game? Im not talking about 1 game, i'm talking about the run of games he had last season before he got injured. He was really starting to look like he had a real chance make it then picked up another injury, now he's back at square one where he needs a run of games again.

How about for a rare time you try to elaborate your thoughts on the subject ?

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I thought it was a windup, actually I am not sorry if you are going to go around spouting shit that is that stupid and offbase you deserve to be laughed at.

Any further elaboration needed?

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, I thought it was a windup, actually I am not sorry if you are going to go around spouting shit that is that stupid and offbase you deserve to be laughed at.

Any further elaboration needed?

You didn't hurt my feelings Alex, it's my mistake tbh.What do I expect from a guy who thinks Cleverley > Carrick ? Your insight in terms of football in general has always been very interesting

actually, if you check, Gibson was carrying an injury at Wolves

Do you think Newcastle fans have a bad impression of Rossi?

There's always an excuse where Gibson is concerned it seems. It's the fans, he was carrying an injury, he's a confidence player, he needs games etc.

The Rossi comparison only applies if the fans of his other clubs weren't impressed by him.

Imagine that, giving a United player the benefit of the doubt and some support.

Ridiculous.

Imagine that, giving a United player the benefit of the doubt and some support.

Ridiculous.

Imagine that, a football fan debating the merits of a footballer and whether he's good enough on an Internet forum.

Ridiculous.

I don't think anyone's annoyed that you don't think he's good enough, it's hardly a clear-cut argument. No-one thinks he's definitely going to make it, so I don't think anyone can begrudge you for thinking he won't.

It was more the 'There's always an excuse where Gibson is concerned it seems.', as if it's a bad thing that he's cutting him some slack, as if you're annoyed at the very idea that someone might make an excuse to back a United player.

Well either that or you've just built up a personal vendetta towards Gibson (not necessarily from any fault of your own, but still).

I don't think anyone's annoyed that you don't think he's good enough, it's hardly a clear-cut argument. No-one thinks he's definitely going to make it, so I don't think anyone can begrudge you for thinking he won't.

It was more the 'There's always an excuse where Gibson is concerned it seems.', as if it's a bad thing that he's cutting him some slack, as if you're annoyed at the very idea that someone might make an excuse to back a United player.

Well either that or you've just built up a personal vendetta towards Gibson (not necessarily from any fault of your own, but still).

What makes you think I'm annoyed that he's making excuses? That's his prerogative. I'm just pointing out that's exactly what he's doing. With every disappointing performance it's never the players fault.

As for the vendetta, lets not be ridiculous.

Why should anyone have a vendetta against any United player? Whilst any of our players are out on the pitch we should support them 100% and if they put in sub standard performances from time to time why shouldn't we be able to express our opinions on an internet forum without getting accused of having personal vendettas against the said player. Its an internet forum, where people express opinions. If people dont think Gibson is good enough then that is their choice, nothing to do with vendettas. If he put in good performances then we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with thinking he's not good enough or hasn't been playing well enough in certain games...it's the need to constantly point it out, or the want to laugh off opinions that are supportive of the player, just because you have a different opinion. Why not respectfully disagree while having an element of respect for the ongoing support?

And people do have vendettas about United players, sadly. As I said it's not necessarily your own fault but it builds up from repeatedly arguing against someone who you perceive to have an extremely and unjustly positive view about a player, to the extent that everything he does is given extra credit just because it's him, and you then take it upon yourself to attempt to balance this and in doing so create a consistently negative and vindictive opinion yourself, which I think translates to a vendetta.

I'm not sure anyone does have a vendetta against Gibson, he doesn't seem typical of the type of player that normally receive one, but it is getting to the point where people seem to enjoy him messing up just so they can get one over on the supporters of him. I know people enjoy being proven right and all I just think when they do so about a player failing it's worryingly sadistic and a bit of a shame.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with thinking he's not good enough or hasn't been playing well enough in certain games...it's the need to constantly point it out, or the want to laugh off opinions that are supportive of the player, just because you have a different opinion. Why not respectfully disagree while having an element of respect for the ongoing support?

And people do have vendettas about United players, sadly. As I said it's not necessarily your own fault but it builds up from repeatedly arguing against someone who you perceive to have an extremely and unjustly positive view about a player, to the extent that everything he does is given extra credit just because it's him, and you then take it upon yourself to attempt to balance this and in doing so create a consistently negative and vindictive opinion yourself, which I think translates to a vendetta.

I'm not sure anyone does have a vendetta against Gibson, he doesn't seem typical of the type of player that normally receive one, but it is getting to the point where people seem to enjoy him messing up just so they can get one over on the supporters of him. I know people enjoy being proven right and all I just think when they do so about a player failing it's worryingly sadistic and a bit of a shame.

You should probably give up the amateur psychology, for that's exactly what it is.

I thought that was vintage Rio today. Didn't put a foot wrong all game, and his passing was like the Rio of 07/08. Him and Evans looked about as comfortable as it gets.

If the managers cant come out and criticise the refs without being fined/touchline banned then the players shouldnt be able to either - and what Babel has said/posted is a bit worse than criticising, he is actually insinuating that Webb is biased etc, which for me is a fair bit worse.

I dont know if it is within the FA's power to fine/suspend a player over that kind of thing, but if they dont then the club certainly should do something. My manager at work got suspended over facebook comments a few months ago.