Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

.....Specifically on Gibson, he's never going to be our defensively minded midfielder, so I prefer to discuss what he did with the ball. He played well in an attacking sense I thought. And the assist for Hernandez showed that he is capable of mixing it up in the final third. My criticism of him is that he takes the shot on too often, but ultimately, he slipped a good ball through and we scored the third...

A good night's work all in all.
Well said.

Specifically on Gibson, he's never going to be our defensively minded midfielder, so I prefer to discuss what he did with the ball. He played well in an attacking sense I thought. And the assist for Hernandez showed that he is capable of mixing it up in the final third. My criticism of him is that he takes the shot on too often, but ultimately, he slipped a good ball through and we scored the third...

Gibson is quite good on the ball and he's a decent enough ballwinner, in my opinion, though as I've said many times on average, a footballer spends 86 minutes a game without it. Maybe it's fair to debate things like positioning and work rate?

You'd see the same criticisms being made of Anderson too.

If you were looking for a performance of defensive stability and control of the match, then you were watching the wrong game. We heavily rotated and played players of inexperience and lacking game time. It was always going to be an end to end game - Fergie said as much in his pre-match interview.

We were easy to play through, but that's not just Gibson's fault. For what it's worth, I think he and Carrick played well. But the likes of Obertan and Bebe weren't doing a great deal going backwards and the backline was inexperienced. It was always going to be an open game.

Specifically on Gibson, he's never going to be our defensively minded midfielder, so I prefer to discuss what he did with the ball. He played well in an attacking sense I thought. And the assist for Hernandez showed that he is capable of mixing it up in the final third. My criticism of him is that he takes the shot on too often, but ultimately, he slipped a good ball through and we scored the third...

I don't care how the defense worked overall, that's not my point. It was obvious from the start that there would be holes, especially after Fabio was replaced by Neville, unless the defense as a whole would have had a fantastic game all around.

It's the effort he puts into the defensive duties. Cristiano Ronaldo is more hard working than him. Carrick was on a double shift. I don't believe one bit that his orders were not to worry about the defensive side so much. It's quite obvious to any footballer when the score is 2-1 for your side or 2-2 and your watching 6 Wolves players against 5 or 6 United defenders that you should help out. Especially if your in the MC position. That's an all around position. Your work in defense should be just as much as in attack when your playing with 4 other guys who are more forward than you are.

And shouldn't he be using this opportunity and work his ass off? What would you have said if Bebe was just lulling about. Losing the ball and just watch the player run off with it. If Carrick had been playing like Gibson did yesterday he'd lose his head. The work rate was simply not there and considering the problems we've been having with it before and during the game he should know better.

I'm worried for him, assist apart he really lacked composure in the middle and he along with carrick never really grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Wolves had 52% of possession, and at home that's pretty poor. =/

I'm worried for him, assist apart he really lacked composure in the middle and he along with carrick never really grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Wolves had 52% of possession, and at home that's pretty poor. =/

Compare that to the performance he put in against Wolfsburg with a far more unstable defence and you can see there was a lack of team discipline, not just on Gibson's part.

I think Scholes also played that night, maybe that says something.

He definitely isn't United quality. Whether he's good enough for a mid-table Premier League team only time will tell.

In my opinion, we should only have 2 tiers of players at United. The first team squad and the talented youngsters.

First team squad (first teamers in bold):
VDS, Kuszack; Evra, Rio, Vidic, Oshea, Rafael, Evans; Nani, Scholesy, Fletcher, Valencia, Giggsy, Park, Anderson; Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez

Youngsters:
Amos, Fabio, Smalling, De Laet, Bebe, Cleverly, Welbeck, Macheda, Diouf

and unfortunately, we also have the In-betweeners:
Gibson, Hargreaves, Obertan, Neville, Owen, Brown, Carrick

In my opinion, we should only have 2 tiers of players at United. The first team squad and the talented youngsters.

First team squad (first teamers in bold):
VDS, Kuszack; Evra, Rio, Vidic, Oshea, Rafael, Evans; Nani, Scholesy, Fletcher, Valencia, Giggsy, Park, Anderson; Rooney, Berbatov, Hernandez

Youngsters:
Amos, Fabio, Smalling, De Laet, Bebe, Cleverly, Welbeck, Macheda, Diouf

and unfortunately, we also have the In-betweeners:
Gibson, Hargreaves, Obertan, Neville, Owen, Brown, Carrick

Put Diouf and De Laet in in-betweeners, Carrick in First team squad and Fabio there as well and we've got ourselves a deal!

in answer to the title of this thread

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't think he is good enough to play for United. I just think it will be better for his career if he left us and played in a mid table team because he can play regularly for them. I mean I don't think anyone will be content just playing in the Carling and the FA Cup.

We're hoplessly overrun every game we play him in a 2 man midfield. I'd be amazed if he's still here next season. He's 23 now, showing very little signs of improvement.

Cleverley and Matty James are much better prospects and i can see them overtaking him in the pecking order when they return from their loans. Can see him moving on to the likes of Stoke or Wolves in the summer.

Hes 23 now, so you cant even throw the 'he's young and lernin' excuse his way any more really, hes been around long enough and had enough chances, can anyone say they've noticed any remote improvement in his game?

Think he'll be sold in the summer to a Bolton/Wigan/Stoke type club for 5 mil or so, not gonna make it here.

He's weird because he can clearly play a bit. His passing is often excellent, obviously he can shoot. But he is summed up by the way he sometimes celebrates goals. He thinks he's a lot better than he is, and his work off the ball is atrocious. He's not learning. As someone said above he doesn't work in a two man midfield which is pretty damning for his age and considering he's hardly a tricky player.

I posted in the Carrick thread that I think Gibson and Carrick make a terrible combo. Mainly because the way they defend is very samey. Gibson would do a lot better with someone like Fletcher or in a 3 man midfield. I think that was one of the reasons our central midfield seemed so inept.

I posted in the Carrick thread that I think Gibson and Carrick make a terrible combo. Mainly because the way they defend is very samey. Gibson would do a lot better with someone like Fletcher or in a 3 man midfield. I think that was one of the reasons our central midfield seemed so inept.

I think Gibson does terrible in a 2 man midfield. PERIOD. He cannot shoulder the responsibility of a 2 man midfield. He has more freedom in a 3 man midfield and hence he does marginally better.

He is neither a playmaker nor a defensive mid. All he does is take shots on goal, half on which is not even on target and everytime a shot is off target he looks up to the heavens, which quite frankly I find irritating.

The biggest problem with him and Carrick playing together is the severe lack of pace. Ive seen quicker sumo wrestlers

Carrick can get away with his lack of pace because of his excellent positioning, the deep lying role that he can play and when on song, astute passing. Gibson plays a distinctly different role to Carrick and thus gets horribly exposed most of the times.

It was his one error in the game. It's unfortunate because he'd have gotten good reviews were it not for that.

Watch the corner for their first goal. If you watch it enough times from different angles, it eventually becomes clear that Gibson was originally marking the guy who scored. So he was at fault for both of their goals, and did a nicely weighted pass for Hernandez's late winner.

Highest successful pass rate of all our players to date (PL) : 96.8%

He came on as a sub against West Brom and didn't appear to want to take any responsibility at all. Centre midfielder passes ball to centre-half, or to right back. The score was 2-2.

As others have said, he looks decent as part of a 4-3-3. He showed plenty of quality against Bayern. But with Cleverley and Park also seeming best suited to a similar role as the attacking midfield player in a 4-3-3, and us not using that system very often, Gibson appears stuck, not progressing much beyond starts in Carling and FA Cup games.

From my observation, this is what Gibson still lacks to play in a 2 man MF.

1. This is his main weakness, seriously at times he just doesn't look like he wants the ball... No movement, no awareness, he just tries a forward run but just forgets where he should be positioned... ( I'm sure this is why ppl are bringing up the part where he does better in a 3 man MF with less responsibility )

2. Talking about defense, of course he isn't the quickest, firstly Scholes gets away with this most of the time because Scholes just reads the game and with his experience, he just does good enough... Gibson though, is still lacking in this department... He is taking too long to think of what his next action should be... It just hasn't been smooth yet... I'm sure he could get better at this... But if he can't then he won't make it.

I mean most of his weaknesses really will work if he gets more playing time... which I don't see how we can off him in the 1st team when he still looks clueless in a 4-4-2.

Fingers crossed that he will improve though... Its not like he is a bad player to have in the squad, doesn't really come out to complain, doesn't dream of Madrid, doesn't say we are not ambitious etc... So I'd have him in the squad.

Carrick can get away with his lack of pace because of his excellent positioning, the deep lying role that he can play and when on song, astute passing. Gibson plays a distinctly different role to Carrick and thus gets horribly exposed most of the times.

Indeed but this ability seems to have virtually disappeared of late with Carrick. Playing 2 players of that nature together is just simply a bad idea in the modern game.

Indeed but this ability seems to have virtually disappeared of late with Carrick. Playing 2 players of that nature together is just simply a bad idea in the modern game.

Agreed. Carrick and Gibson as a midfield partnership against half decent opposition would be a bad move.

I really like Gibson and really want him to make it here but the only way he's going to reach the standards many of you have set him is if he gets a regular run in the team, you can't expect him to become the ultimate midfielder overnight. I'd definitely rather have him in our squad than in somebody else's in the PL.

I'm not saying it's reason enough to keep him based on the one aspect of his game but his shooting and goals per minute for a midfielder is top notch and were he a regular in the side I could easily see him getting into double figures for the season. He is a very good option to have and is nowhere near as bad as some of you make out, how about showing him some support.

Watch the corner for their first goal. If you watch it enough times from different angles, it eventually becomes clear that Gibson was originally marking the guy who scored. So he was at fault for both of their goals, and did a nicely weighted pass for Hernandez's late winner.

Gibson made that pass? I thought Carrick did.