Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Seriously. I've seen people give him 7 for last nights performance, once even a 8 and a MotM. Really? Did you watch the game and do you know what a midfield player is supposed to do? He did absolutely nothing in defense. He was worse than nobody. Nobody wouldn't have conceded a goal like that and nobody would have tracked back as much as he did.
The amount of chances Wolves got...they were often 3 against 2 in the box. No Gibson in sight. And what was his influence in the goals? He just seems to get worse and worse.

Seriously. I've seen people give him 7 for last nights performance, once even a 8 and a MotM. Really? Did you watch the game and do you know what a midfield player is supposed to do? He did absolutely nothing in defense. He was worse than nobody. Nobody wouldn't have conceded a goal like that and nobody would have tracked back as much as he did.
The amount of chances Wolves got...they were often 3 against 2 in the box. No Gibson in sight. And what was his influence in the goals? He just seems to get worse and worse.

I agree. He is completely by passed when the other team has the ball. He does not seem to understand what the concept of being a midfield player is. I mean we are talking about the simple fundamentals of your position here and he doesn't have it.

And what was his influence in the goals? He just seems to get worse and worse.

Did you not see him put a beautiful ball through for Chico's goal? What we call in the footballing world as an 'assist'.

Some people are simply blinded by hatred. Pathetic really.

off the ball he was awful last night, anonomous at times but on the ball i thought he was very good. Got into good shooting positions as per usual but also made some good runs and decent passes in the final third

its been said a few times in this thread and i think Trappatoni said something similar too that Gibson needs to learn to get involved in the game more, grab it by the scruff of the neck, impose himself on it instead of drifting around on the periphery and occasionally shooting

He has one thing in his locker, shooting. Even that he takes 4/5 times to get right. Get shut, not good enough.

He had a few Scholesesque crossfield passes and a brilliant ball for Hernandez' goal.

Like it's been said, he's good on the ball, but woeful without it. He should be played in a proper midfield 3.

I wish he had more drive and confidence to play the ball forward more often. Whenever I have seen him lately, the game passes by completely, he's anonymous and you get the feeling he doesnt really know what to do. He either needs to improve his game massively, or else I could see him sold in the summer, especially with Cleverley coming back

Gibson is a tank. He is best when he can play with someone who can do his defending for him as he is not great mobility wise but is an ox on the ball.

His best work is on the ball he is neat, tidy has an excellent pass on him and a thunderous shot. He would be ideal in a midfield three.

I don't think he will ever be a nailed on first teamer but will develop qute well. At least he is good with the deadball.

He played pretty well yesterday I thought. He definitely looked as though he was trying to impose himself on things more than he sometimes does, as Trap said he should.

It's a shame he made the mistake on their second, but he recovered the situation with the assist for Hernandez.

It's hard to come into the team after so few appearances and then play alongside similarly match-starved/young players. I thought he played well considering that.

Did you not see him put a beautiful ball through for Chico's goal? What we call in the footballing world as an 'assist'.

Some people are simply blinded by hatred. Pathetic really.

Beutiful through ball? Seriously? Hernandez did all the work. He only had to stand with the ball and pass a 10m long ball through a 5m gap. I'm sorry but every player in the team would have made that pass. Ronaldo would do it with his back heel.

Beutiful through ball? Seriously? Hernandez did all the work. He only had to stand with the ball and pass a 10m long ball through a 5m gap. I'm sorry but every player in the team would have made that pass. Ronaldo would do it with his back heel.

Behave man. Give credit where it's due. It's a simple pass when it's done well, but it's simple enough to screw it up too. Good pass, great goal.

I say, well done for recovering after the error for the second goal.

He played well.

He played pretty well yesterday I thought. He definitely looked as though he was trying to impose himself on things more than he sometimes does, as Trap said he should.

It's a shame he made the mistake on their second, but he recovered the situation with the assist for Hernandez.

It's hard to come into the team after so few appearances and then play alongside similarly match-starved/young players. I thought he played well considering that.

What I'm considering is the defensive aspect of his game. He's a central midfielder and was playing in a central midfield of three (kind of two). You're supposed to be defending. That's my real qualm about him. He just stood there when Wolves had the ball every freaking time and as soon as someone else got it back he would start to run forward.
The game finished 3-2. How many chances did Wolves get to score a third? How many times in those chances was he close to them? None. When you lack talent in certain areas and speed overall then at least you should do is to make an effort. Awful looking at people saying Anderson isn't fit and can't play 90 minutes. I'm not sure Gibson could play half a game if he would run like Anderson does.

Is it just because he's from the UK? Is that why people think he's anything better than David Jones of Wolves?

He was worse than nobody. Nobody wouldn't have conceded a goal like that and nobody would have tracked back as much as he did.

Difficult to know if these are compliments or criticisms...

Is it Gibson or Carrick that were playing more defensive or were they taking turns? Either way on one occasion (didn't see whole game) both had pushed forward leaving the wolves midfield a free run at our defenders and I would 'blame' the experienced player for that. People can talk about his defensive side, I don't think he has the engine for that. I think we lacked communication and it made it a more open game then it had to be.

What I'm considering is the defensive aspect of his game. He's a central midfielder and was playing in a central midfield of three (kind of two). You're supposed to be defending. That's my real qualm about him. He just stood there when Wolves had the ball every freaking time and as soon as someone else got it back he would start to run forward.
The game finished 3-2. How many chances did Wolves get to score a third? How many times in those chances was he close to them? None. When you lack talent in certain areas and speed overall then at least you should do is to make an effort. Awful looking at people saying Anderson isn't fit and can't play 90 minutes. I'm not sure Gibson could play half a game if he would run like Anderson does.

Is it just because he's from the UK? Is that why people think he's anything better than David Jones of Wolves?

If you were looking for a performance of defensive stability and control of the match, then you were watching the wrong game. We heavily rotated and played players of inexperience and lacking game time. It was always going to be an end to end game - Fergie said as much in his pre-match interview.

We were easy to play through, but that's not just Gibson's fault. For what it's worth, I think he and Carrick played well. But the likes of Obertan and Bebe weren't doing a great deal going backwards and the backline was inexperienced. It was always going to be an open game.

Specifically on Gibson, he's never going to be our defensively minded midfielder, so I prefer to discuss what he did with the ball. He played well in an attacking sense I thought. And the assist for Hernandez showed that he is capable of mixing it up in the final third. My criticism of him is that he takes the shot on too often, but ultimately, he slipped a good ball through and we scored the third...

A good night's work all in all.

Great ball for the Hernandez goal, but dilly-dallied on the ball and allowed Wolves their second goal. Decent when he has the ball and more importantly if he has space, but terrible when not in possession and seems not to be able to make space for himself when on the ball. He will improve, but to be honest I can't see that he will improve significantly.

Is it Gibson or Carrick that were playing more defensive or were they taking turns? Either way on one occasion (didn't see whole game) both had pushed forward leaving the wolves midfield a free run at our defenders and I would 'blame' the experienced player for that. People can talk about his defensive side, I don't think he has the engine for that

Depends entirely on the tactics I suppose, I couldn't really understand what are CM's were doing yesterday. At times late in the game Carrick was popping up on the right?

Can hardly fault Gibson though if he's simply following orders. I thought he had a good game last night. At least he's going in the right direction now and he seems to have stopped shooting as much and passing to better options. Slowly getting there, but probably too slowly considering the talent thats knocking on the door.

Depends entirely on the tactics I suppose, I couldn't really understand what are CM's were doing yesterday. At times late in the game Carrick was popping up on the right?

Can hardly fault Gibson though if he's simply following orders. I thought he had a good game last night. At least he's going in the right direction now and he seems to have stopped shooting as much and passing to better options. Slowly getting there, but probably too slowly considering the talent thats knocking on the door.

I agree. I think it's a big season for him and he will have some way to replicate last seasons feats. It's a pity really as his shootings improving a fair bit

Sir Alex just seems like he's desperate for him to be a success in a midfield two even though he blatantly can't play there yet. I think the only thing you're looking for from him in there is gradual progression because comparing him to a normal centre mid isn't fair - he should be played in a midfield three. That's his natural position. Sir Alex loves versatility and two man centre midfields so he's trying to mould his game but people need to realise he's not going to adapt to it just like that, or be individually impressive right now, because it's all about personal growth here. When he's being played there it's clear he's prioritising the future not the present with Gibson, I think.

Great ball for the Hernandez goal, but dilly-dallied on the ball and allowed Wolves their second goal. Decent when he has the ball and more importantly if he has space, but terrible when not in possession and seems not to be able to make space for himself when on the ball. He will improve, but to be honest I can't see that he will improve significantly.

It was his one error in the game. It's unfortunate because he'd have gotten good reviews were it not for that.

Is it Gibson or Carrick that were playing more defensive or were they taking turns? Either way on one occasion (didn't see whole game) both had pushed forward leaving the wolves midfield a free run at our defenders and I would 'blame' the experienced player for that. People can talk about his defensive side, I don't think he has the engine for that. I think we lacked communication and it made it a more open game then it had to be.

They obviously took turns shown by the fact that Carrick was taking more potshots than Gibson tonight, they seemed a fairly disciplined outfit but neither seemed alert enough for the goals.

the lad needs a run of games; not a game here and a game there. I believe in him, but going by some of the feedback on these forums it will take him years to win over everyone (ala. Fletcher). For that reason, and for his own development, i reckon he should look to find first team football elsewhere

Sir Alex just seems like he's desperate for him to be a success in a midfield two even though he blatantly can't play there yet. I think the only thing you're looking for from him in there is gradual progression because comparing him to a normal centre mid isn't fair - he should be played in a midfield three. That's his natural position. Sir Alex loves versatility and two man centre midfields so he's trying to mould his game but people need to realise he's not going to adapt to it just like that, or be individually impressive right now, because it's all about personal growth here. When he's being played there it's clear he's prioritising the future not the present with Gibson, I think.

Really? What are you basing that on?

He's played almost his whole career at United, usually in a two man central midfield. Where are all the games when h's played his "natural" position?

Really? What are you basing that on?

He's played almost his whole career at United, usually in a two man central midfield. Where are all the games when h's played his "natural" position?

Didnt he play in a midfield three against Bayern and was influential.

I don't know about natural position but he is better in a midfield 3 because I dont think at United we have even one defensive midfielder who is fit in the De Jong mould.

Gibbo is not a box to box midfielder he is better on the ball in the final third.

for me he wont have a long career with us because he is not quite good enough,but he´s a decent player and will have a decent career with a mid-table club.

he´s on about the same level as john o´shea but isn´t as versatile,and that will be his downfall with his United career.

Played on loan at Wolves in a midfield two as well, I think. So it's all assumptions based on very little, admittedly. The Bayern game being one obviously, and then there was maybe one FA Cup game?

It just seems like he's so lacking in the basic fundamentals of playing in a midfield two that he's more suited to playing in a three with a bit less responsibility going back.

Played on loan at Wolves in a midfield two as well, I think. So it's all assumptions based on very little, admittedly. The Bayern game being one obviously, and then there was maybe one FA Cup game?

It just seems like he's so lacking in the basic fundamentals of playing in a midfield two that he's more suited to playing in a three with a bit less responsibility going back.

I bet he could play in a midfield two if the other player was a total destroyer in the De Jong mould.

Gibbo is poor off the ball but good on it. As we dont have such a destroyer at United I am unsure whether we will see the best of Gibbo in a midfield two.

the lad needs a run of games; not a game here and a game there. I believe in him, but going by some of the feedback on these forums it will take him years to win over everyone (ala. Fletcher). For that reason, and for his own development, i reckon he should look to find first team football elsewhere

I don't think we should sell a talented player because fans on an internet forum don't like him.