Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

They tell him to shoot, that's why he shoots. It's not because he ran out of ideas unless you think that pass to Valencia was a fluke.

They tell him to shoot, that's why he shoots. It's not because he ran out of ideas unless you think that pass to Valencia was a fluke.

Dumb post. Then why does he shoot instead of pass to players in even better positions than Valencia was?

:wenger:

It's not because he ran out of ideas? :lol:

If you have only one idea in those circumstances most of the time, then by definition you've ran out of ideas!

I don't see why people are criticising him for shooting a fair bit in games when SAF has said he wants him to shoot and also that we need a goal scoring midfielder who shoots. Last season there were a good few times when we needed someone with a decent shot in them because we weren't getting anywhere with our passing.

Its weird its like people know Gibson is known for having a good shot in him as a good attribute yet they slate him down for that as well. He still needs games and will improve over time. Scholes doesn't shoot as much these days, Carrick doesn't ever shoot, Fletcher not that much, Anderson well.... Berba doesn't think its his place to shoot so that just leaves Nani and Rooney so if Gibson wants to fire off some shots then that's fine by me. We could do with a Lampard, not saying he'll be it but he gets goals.

I bet people won't be moaning when he bangs a few in this season coming and if he adds an extra option to free kick duty then even better.

Dumb post. Then why does he shoot instead of pass to players in even better positions than Valencia was?

If you have only one idea in those circumstances most of the time, then by definition you've ran out of ideas!
He's pretty good with his shooting so it's no surprise when he's in a position to shoot, he would take that chance most of the time especially since SAF himself encouraged him to do it.
:rolleyes:

Shooting is fine when you are in a good position, Gibson just does it irrespective when he reaches the imaginary 30 yard line. Irrespective of whether there is 3 defenders in front of him and Rooney is alone 12 yards from goal.

If this was his only problem I'd be satisfied but it seems shooting is his only attribute and even then I'm sure we'd have scored more goals if he'd have passed the 100's of times he shot at goal.

Shooting is fine when you are in a good position, Gibson just does it irrespective when he reaches the imaginary 30 yard line. Irrespective of whether there is 3 defenders in front of him and Rooney is alone 12 yards from goal.

If this was his only problem I'd be satisfied but it seems shooting is his only attribute and even then I'm sure we'd have scored more goals if he'd have passed the 100's of times he shot at goal.

What a load of shit. If his decision making was as bad as you proclaim then he'd never have gotten anywhere near the United squad in the first place. He doesn't take the shot on every time, and when he does it's usually because he's in a good position to shoot and he knows his shot can be lethal. He may have taken a few shots when there were better options available, but nothing like the '100's of times' you make out. You can't exaggerate an issue and then highlight your own exaggerations as evidence of the issue's seriousness. Like any young player, Gibson is learning the game, and as of today is far from perfect, so why have you chosen to be overly harsh on him? The fact is, he does have a tendency to score from long-range, and if he can perfect his technique and decision making - and there's no reason whatsoever to suggest that he can't - then he'll be worth his weight in gold in our often shot-shy midfield. Fortunately for United, SAF has more patience and foresight than the average internet muppet; when he tells us a player has great potential, it beggars belief how most of you still refuse to sit-up and listen.

Wrong, by definition if he has one idea then he is not out of ideas.

Stupid smiley out of place considering you don't know your noughts from you ones. :lol:

Wrong, by definition if he has one idea then he is not out of ideas.

Stupid smiley out of place considering you don't know your noughts from you ones. :lol:

Idiot.

If I do the same thing all the time, it simply means I can't think of anything else to do. Ergo, I am out of ideas.

Rocket science it ain't.

EDIT: and DFreshKing. Really? :lol:

What a load of shit. If his decision making was as bad as you proclaim then he'd never have gotten anywhere near the United squad in the first place. He doesn't take the shot on every time, and when he does it's usually because he's in a good position to shoot and he knows his shot can be lethal. He may have taken a few shots when there were better options available, but nothing like the '100's of times' you make out. You can't exaggerate an issue and then highlight your own exaggerations as evidence of the issue's seriousness. Like any young player, Gibson is learning the game, and as of today is far from perfect, so why have you chosen to be overly harsh on him? The fact is, he does have a tendency to score from long-range, and if he can perfect his technique and decision making - and there's no reason whatsoever to suggest that he can't - then he'll be worth his weight in gold in our often shot-shy midfield. Fortunately for United, SAF has more patience and foresight than the average internet muppet; when he tells us a player has great potential, it beggars belief how most of you still refuse to sit-up and listen.

I wasn't exaggerating anything as evidence, I was putting forward an opinion. In a couple of years time when he's at Sunderland or West Brom maybe you'll agree wih my hypothesis. Fergie says every Utd reserve player that has 1-2 games for our first team has incredible potential, he's not exactly going to come out and say "he's not really good enough for Utd but I hope after a couple of seasons we'll get a few quid for him".

Hopefully he does massively exceed his current potential and become a Utd regular but after watching every first team game hes played, I personally can't see any of his apparent "qualities".

I wasn't exaggerating anything as evidence, I was putting forward an opinion. In a couple of years time when he's at Sunderland or West Brom maybe you'll agree wih my hypothesis. Fergie says every Utd reserve player that has 1-2 games for our first team has incredible potential, he's not exactly going to come out and say "he's not really good enough for Utd but I hope after a couple of seasons we'll get a few quid for him".

Hopefully he does massively exceed his current potential and become a Utd regular but after watching every first team game hes played, I personally can't see any of his apparent "qualities".

TBH it can go either way, he can be a success at United ala Fletcher or he can be a failure/wants first team football - hes still at that age where hes learning the game and developing and it can really go either way. I saw a post before which i agree 100% on Gibson when hes got the freedom of the park (ie not playing with a estabilished player) you see him trying to ping passes around get play going etc... but as soon as you introduce a Scholes/Carrick to the mix he sort of plays his game not trying to step on anyones toes.

The guy has a great chance to be a starter for United at some stage in his career because of his scoring ability alone (goals change games and if you have a player who can get a goal hes worth his weight in gold in those games you are grinding out). At the end of the day he must be in SAF long term plans because to be frank the guy is 22/23 now and i've seen a lot of people that age shipped out at the first chance a club becomes interested but if SAF is willing to hang on to him i got a feeling he sees something a lot of us may not.

I am not totally sure that Gibson is good enough. He might get Darren Fletcher syndrome, if he stays at the club for a while though. Coming good after a few years of being in and out of the side. For me though, he just doesn't have a place in a starting XI. He does everything okay, a good all rounder, with the exception of getting shots off. In that department, he does really well.

Just doesn't have the wow factor at the minute.

I would say 99% of fans on here wanted Fletcher sold a few seasons ago but Fergie kept backing him.
I would say the same number wanted O`Shea out of here a few seasons back too.
And then there was a time when the fans wanted Gary and Phil Neville sold when they first appeared in the team as they were both miles off the pace in their early days/
I think even if Gibson just becomes a very important squad player in the next year or two then that will have been a big plus for Fergie and the squad. I think he might just become a first teamer though eventually! Even Trappatoni has come out saying that he reckons Gibson will soon be in the first team at United and you would have to respect his opinion just like Fergies!

Very Ordinary player.

Never going to make it at United.

A matter of season imo.

I would say 99% of fans on here wanted Fletcher sold a few seasons ago but Fergie kept backing him.
I would say the same number wanted O`Shea out of here a few seasons back too.
And then there was a time when the fans wanted Gary and Phil Neville sold when they first appeared in the team as they were both miles off the pace in their early days/
I think even if Gibson just becomes a very important squad player in the next year or two then that will have been a big plus for Fergie and the squad. I think he might just become a first teamer though eventually! Even Trappatoni has come out saying that he reckons Gibson will soon be in the first team at United and you would have to respect his opinion just like Fergies!

These players showed glimpses of brilliance at some stage of career with United at least.

Gibson can shoot,thats it.

Idiot.

If I do the same thing all the time, it simply means I can't think of anything else to do. Ergo, I am out of ideas.

Rocket science it ain't.

EDIT: and DFreshKing. Really? :lol:

Not worth debating with an idiot.

Nope not rocket science just the difference between one and zero you have a problem with. Oh and my name, get a grip fella. :nono:

Not worth debating with an idiot.

Nope not rocket science just the difference between one and zero you have a problem with. Oh and my name, get a grip fella. :nono:

:lol:

Delivered pwnge, did I? - Difficult thing this logic lark, isn't it?

Have a look at Scholesy today. Shaping to shoot and then...chipped-ball over the top for Rooney.

Now that's having ideas!

These players showed glimpses of brilliance at some stage of career with United at least.

Gibson can shoot,thats it.

What glimpses of brilliance had Fletcher shown at this stage in his career?

What is it with United 'fans' who love nothing better than slamming our young players?

As if we should expect Gibson to be as creative as Scholes.

What is it with United 'fans' who love nothing better than slamming our young players?

As if we should expect Gibson to be as creative as Scholes.

Ah, the fallacy of the excluded middle/false dilemma.

I'm not slamming our young players. I quite like Cleverley, Macheda, Welbeck, Rafael, Fabio, Keane...I could go on.

I don't quite like Gibson. Did that hurt you?

Also, no one is saying Gibson should be as creative as Scholes. What I did point out is, 9/10 times, Gibson in Scholesy's position would have shot, not passed. One doesn't have to be a footballing genius to know that one can vary one's options.

This logic lark again, eh?

If Sir Alex keeps his faith in Gibson, one day he'll be a fan favourite. And that goes for any player who will score goals against good sides or in big matches, even more-so when half of them are going to be screamers you'll be hard pressed to forget.

Will he, though? That's my (considerable) doubt.

I've nothing personal against him. I just don't see his quality.

Scored twice against Spurs, and against Bayern last season. I dont have any reason to suggest he cant do it in big games against good sides this season too especially as he'll no doubt step up to a new level from last year, like most of our younger players.

He may not score against Liverpool and Chelsea specifically, or not in the same season, but if Fergie keeps the faith in him we're going to end up seeing him do things like that certainly. Because thats his quality and what he brings to the side, and he'll only get better at it. The longer he stays at the club, and Fergie keeps faith in him, playing him in matches like that, the more evidence he will provide that he can be a match winner for us in any type of game and do it with screamers from time to time as well.

Scored twice against Spurs, and against Bayern last season. I dont have any reason to suggest he cant do it in big games against good sides this season too especially as he'll no doubt step up to a new level from last year, like most of our younger players.

He may not score against Liverpool and Chelsea specifically, or not in the same season, but if Fergie keeps the faith in him we're going to end up seeing him do things like that certainly. Because thats his quality and what he brings to the side, and he'll only get better at it. The longer he stays at the club, and Fergie keeps faith in him, playing him in matches like that, the more evidence he will provide that he can be a match winner for us in any type of game and do it with screamers from time to time as well.

Yep. That's why he started against Chelsea on Sunday. Oh wait...

More wishful thinking, really: "He'll no doubt do <x> this season" ; "He's guaranteed to do <y> if <z>".

Hypothetical question: how long before teams cotton on to the fact that you mustn't give him space at the edge of the box or thereabouts? Will he have the gumption to improvise then?