Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Take a look below and I quote people who agree. I am not a joke. I at least discuss football in a football forum, you do not really post anything useful or anything about football.

:lol: and what, this is your idea of a useful post about football?

Kiko is an embarressment to be honest. I really hope we get rid of him. He isnt that good either.

I actually hope he does fail. Probably the first time I have felt this way. Horrible attitude.

Would hate to see him in our first team permanently. I cant stand the sight of him.

And also, hes invisible every match I watch him. He is a natural goalscorer, but his all round play is hurrendous.

Well Fergie has just said that the great thing about Cleverly is you can play him anywhere across midfield. That probably includes cm, same position as Gibbo.

Also why some draw comparions to Milner.

I think they play roughly the same type of role. If anything Cleverley's more of a central midfielder than Gibson is. Gibson just isn't mobile or intelligent enough to shift out to the wing. I wouldn't really trust him in any role other than the same one Lampard plays for Chelsea.

Cleverley will end up playing more centrally once he bulks up a bit, I reckon. Fletcher was no different.

Cleverley is an attacking midfielder, I don't see him as a central midfielder in a 2 at least in the near future.

Fletcher was a central midfielder who was played wide to ease him into the first team. Cleverley has predominantly played at either full back or on the wing through the ranks.

If you are looking for a central midfielder out of the younger players to challenge Gibson, the best bet in the short term would be Matty James.

Not convinced by James as yet, but it's pretty early to be making a judgement. Gibson isn't a central midfielder though. Or at least if he is, he hasn't learnt the basics of how to play there yet.

Stylistically Carrick is very well suited to start as a CM is a 4-4-2 formation.

Cleverly's future lies either floating in from wide or as the AM in a 3 man midfield, at the moment while their styles are different I'd only use Gibson in the same 3 man midfield set up.

Pretty daft use of that smilie, what with Gibson playing in the centre and Cleverley out wide.

Unless you want to remind us all of the last game Cleverley played in central midfield, for United or for Watford?

He played a full hour alongside Scholes in a midfield two against Kansas, didn't he? Sure Giggs tucked in a lot, but he played quite a disciplined role in there and played it reasonably well, I thought.

Anyway, on Gibson, anyone else impressed by his passing against the Irish XI? Obviously the opposition was poor but that's not all that important when you're talking about passing ability/technique, he showed the talent's there pinging passes about, it's just the application at the top level's still not quite there yet.

Still, thought it might've surprised a few of the Gibson critics.

He was good in the first half in my opinion, very good. I was not impressed in the second half though. He is pretty slow.

He'll never be a first team 30+ game a season midfielder at our club. Although he is still a handy squad player to have.
I reckon he will turn out to be like Brown and O'Shea. He'll flirt with the first team often enough but he will never make the position his own. Not every player is good enough to cement a place in the United first team, very few infact, however that does not mean we offload him.

He'll never be a first team 30+ game a season midfielder at our club. Although he is still a handy squad player to have.
I reckon he will turn out to be like Brown and O'Shea. He'll flirt with the first team often enough but he will never make the position his own. Not every player is good enough to cement a place in the United first team, very few infact, however that does not mean we offload him.

Honestly dont think he'll be at the club this time next year, i think another season of the odd hollywood strike among the usual sub standard midfield performances will be enough to convince Fergie theres not enough there to last at this club and he'll sell him to a Sunderland/Blackburn/Bolton esk club for about 5 million.

I don't know what I think will happen in Gibson's case.

With Kieran Richardson the handwriting was on the wall that he was going to make some atrocious blunder for every goal or assist he produced.

Gibson isn't running around making mistakes. It's just the case that he doesn't seem able to boss a midfield like you'd want him to, and he's not the type who could be converted into a centre forward.

Where's Roy Keane when you need him?

Phasing out of matches quite often is a bit of a worry with Gibson. And truth be told, when he doesnt have his shooting boots on he doesnt offer lots. But the manager likes him and hopefully with time and experience he will sort the phasing and shooting consistancy out.

Apart from his shooting which is very on and off, he doesn't have any stand out qualities or attributes that you think he might need. He just seems to be a very basic player with no hint of gaining much improvement.
People forget he is 23, he is not exactly a youngster, but peoplle still include him in the same bracket as Macheda, Welbeck, Cleverly who are all 20 or under. I doubut these lads will be at the point Gibson is at now when they reach his age.

He played a full hour alongside Scholes in a midfield two against Kansas, didn't he? Sure Giggs tucked in a lot, but he played quite a disciplined role in there and played it reasonably well, I thought.

Anyway, on Gibson, anyone else impressed by his passing against the Irish XI? Obviously the opposition was poor but that's not all that important when you're talking about passing ability/technique, he showed the talent's there pinging passes about, it's just the application at the top level's still not quite there yet.

Still, thought it might've surprised a few of the Gibson critics.

Fantastic pass for Valencia for his goal.

Apart from his shooting which is very on and off, he doesn't have any stand out qualities or attributes that you think he might need. He just seems to be a very basic player with no hint of gaining much improvement.
People forget he is 23, he is not exactly a youngster, but peoplle still include him in the same bracket as Macheda, Welbeck, Cleverly who are all 20 or under. I doubut these lads will be at the point Gibson is at now when they reach his age.

Honestly though what does it really matter if it takes him till 24 to show he has what it takes to be a first teamer? And aside from shooting, his tackling is better than most of our midfielders. Aside from strength Ramires is a pretty basic midfielder and Chelsea are paying around £20 million for him. But thats why we dont discount the best things a player brings to a side. Gibson just needs to be a little more imposing and go missing a bit less and he'll be more than fine. He'll be one of our goalscorers.

Sir Alex said:
If I were to give Darron, and I hope I can say this, 20 odd games, he's gonna get me 10 goals, easily, and that would be a big contribution for him. Without question, he's got the ability to be a top player that lad. He's got the engine, he's got the power, he's got the physique, he's got the shooting ability from outside the box when not every player in the game has got that, either foot, and he's improving all the time.

Video here.

Not everyone hits their peak at 21-22 years old. He's done enough to warrant his place in the squad. He's got a great shot on him, great at set pieces, good match temperament, and a pretty good passer of the ball too. Some of these things are harder to teach as compared to making himself more mobile and imposing himself on a game more. It's not as though he's on astronomical wages, so I don't see why we feel the need to pass judgement on him so quickly.

Sir Alex said:
If I were to give Darron, and I hope I can say this, 20 odd games, he's gonna get me 10 goals, easily, and that would be a big contribution for him. Without question, he's got the ability to be a top player that lad. He's got the engine, he's got the power, he's got the physique, he's got the shooting ability from outside the box when not every player in the game has got that, either foot, and he's improving all the time.
Video here.

Darron is a made man. If SAF thinks this way about him, then I say feck you all who think he does not offer much(With the maximum respect:devil:).

p.s. I see SAF uses his first name to call him and some of you gets into fits when foreigners call the players by their first names

I don't understand the slating Gibson gets on here, i think he's been very impressive. SAF obviously likes him, he looks bound to get the chances he deserves this season and i for one am tipping him to step-up and take them and silence his doubters. In a couple of seasons time he could turn out to be the complete midfielder for us, i'm sure of it.

Darron Gibson-son
He's better than Anderson
Darron Gibson-son
He's a midfield magician
With his left, with his right
He's scores long-rangers alright
He is class, though not fast
And he's not been in a crash!

Is Gibson the new O Shea / Fletcher might be a better thread title at this point. The lads game needs work in a few areas, no doubt, but he can play.

Yeah, it was perfectly weighted.

Unfortunately, it probably won't stop the ongoing bullshit that he has absolutely nothing to his game other than a powerful shot.

I do wonder what game people watch or what they chose to see from what they watch when they spout shite about Gibson in, for example, a game where he'll put in a number of good passes, both long and short, and work himself into space to actually take a crack at goal, which is well within his right and is expected of him by management.

He looks like a player who is still finding his feet in the side and is trying to fit in without stepping on the toes of those higher up the chain to me.

He's a diamond in the rough.

There's no denying he can be sluggish and/or a plodder at times, but most of his issues don't seem to be technical, and surely it's easier to work on fitness, aggression and awareness than it is on players who have those things but lack technical ability.

Gibson gets an incredibly raw deal from the fans for the most part.

I do wonder what game people watch or what they chose to see from what they watch when they spout shite about Gibson in, for example, a game where he'll put in a number of good passes, both long and short, and work himself into space to actually take a crack at goal, which is well within his right and is expected of him by management.

He looks like a player who is still finding his feet in the side and is trying to fit in without stepping on the toes of those higher up the chain to me.

He's a diamond in the rough.

There's no denying he can be sluggish and/or a plodder at times, but most of his issues don't seem to be technical, and surely it's easier to work on fitness, aggression and awareness than it is on players who have those things but lack technical ability.

Gibson gets an incredibly raw deal from the fans for the most part.
I agree. Everyone forgets he is getting far less games to iron out his weaknesses than the likes of Fletcher got.

I agree. Everyone forgets he is getting far less games to iron out his weaknesses than the likes of Fletcher got.

Very true. And he also has to play in a 4-4-2 a lot more than Fletcher did when he was coming up and we used a 4-5-1. Mistakes are amplified in a 4-4-2, Gibson hasn't looked out of place at all when we've used 4-3-3's or a 4-5-1.

Darron is a made man. If SAF thinks this way about him, then I say feck you all who think he does not offer much(With the maximum respect:devil:).

p.s. I see SAF uses his first name to call him and some of you gets into fits when foreigners call the players by their first names

Err...you called him by his middle name, David, that was the odd part!

The boss obviously likes Gibson a lot as he has been getting a lot of game time. That to me is the most encouraging thing about him. Since more than a few of his performances have looked sluggish, I can only assume that Ferguson is seeing something (maybe in training) that we don't, and he is the expert.

I would love to see Gibson make it, really love to, but every time I see him play I think that Fergie is clearly just playing him to put him in the shop window in the hopes someone like Sunderland will offer £5-10m for him (similar to how I felt about Richardson). When Fletcher was coming through beneath all the criticism I saw a player who had an obscene amount of energy, was a good tackler and had a degree of intelligence, in that before he received the ball he knew what he wanted to do with it (although at that point he'd rarely successfully carry out his goal).

With Gibson I see someone who is the most one dimensional footballer I've seen in years (for Utd and RoI). He doesn't seem intelligent at all: he passes long when a great short pass is on, seems to lack any sort of concentration, as he always drifts out of games for long periods of time and shoots whenever he is within 30 yards (when he is out of ideas is assume). When I saw Rooney last year (on at least 3 occasions) absolutely murdering him for shooting when he was in great positions I felt exactly the same, tearing my hair out.