Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

His shooting is very good, but he seems a limited player. Not the best passer, his movement is average and I'm not sure his tackling is the best. But he has a good record scoring from midfield, and that's why he's still in the team. Reminds me of Lampard in terms of size and ability to shoot from distance, but fatty frank offers a bit more than Gibbo.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun with Cleverley, but in the 2 games I've seen him, he has more to his game than Gibson, plus is younger.

Still, give Gibbo a couple of years to prove himself. Remember most of us thought Fletcher was shit in 2006 and now he's arguably our most important player. Fergie sees something in Gibson, and it's not often he's wrong.

He looks a bit fat though, if he could improve his mobility and actually cover more ground then he'll have a better chance imo. He's movement isn't that bad but he just lacks a bit of pace due to his belly.

Actually a Gibbo/Scholes/Fletch MF worked superbly well against a CL-Runner up. Gibbo just looks like he gained a bit of weight.

has he gained weight? really? you should have said! :rolleyes:

I still think hes an average/championship level footballer with the occasional hollywood strike on him, hes not exactly athletic either which means a 2 man midfield for him is almost certainly out of the question, and frankly this is not a player a club this size should or will be looking to build systems around to accomodate.

His ability or potential should i say to 'get a goal' as it were will keep him around a while i think as thats clearly his best attribute and fergie clearly likes that but i think over time he'll see that Gibsons all round midfield game is just not of the standard required to make it here and he'll end up being shipped out to a Sunderland or somewhere.

I still think hes an average/championship level footballer with the occasional hollywood strike on him, hes not exactly athletic either which means a 2 man midfield for him is almost certainly out of the question, and frankly this is not a player a club this size should or will be looking to build systems around to accomodate.

His ability or potential should i say to 'get a goal' as it were will keep him around a while i think as thats clearly his best attribute and fergie clearly likes that but i think over time he'll see that Gibsons all round midfield game is just not of the standard required to make it here and he'll end up being shipped out to a Sunderland or somewhere.

I think that's harsh. He could do well for the likes of Fulham/Stoke/Birmingham.

The boy needs to look up - a few times he had balls he could have played had he just had the vision.

Another time he got the ball after some quick interchange passing and there was no one in front of him and he could have gone forward quite a ways and instead he played a one touch pass backwards.

Great freekick but, man there is something he is just lacking this pre-season in terms of urgency on the field.

The local food & portions seemed to have agreed with Gibbo. Most people look & get leaner during pre-season but seems the opposite with him.

He's still a HUGE way off in terms of comparing him to Lampard, he hasn't got the passing awareness yet ( I'm sure that'll come in time ) they aren't both particulary quick as they both are fat but Gibson still lacks that positional sense at times ( Lack of experience if you put it in another way ) also he's range of passing is totally not good yet, hope he can improve that just like Fletcher has upped his game ( Fletcher's long balls are almost inch perfect ala Scholes at times and also he's crossing has been excellent )

Summary: Gibson has a LONG way to go to reach 1st team status, he is certainly considered a squad player already due to his shooting abilities, but needs to improve his all round game to be a perfect or better player.

When you are not a striker, it's definitely not enough, unless you get 30 a year from midfield.

I m with you about Gibson needing to improve his all-round game but still a goal is a goal.....whether it comes from one of our strikers or not.

he scored that freekick last night with certain ease - it looked a casual strike.

And yes he looked a bit fat too

Put him in a midfield three with two "water carriers" and he will excel.

We shouldnt really play with 2 water carriers for Gibson just to accomodate him.

We all know about his shooting. If he cant improve significantly in all the other areas, he wont make it at United I'm afraid. He will get overtaken by another youngster (Cleverly) who will take his place if he doesnt step up

brilliant freekick, looked effortless but it went right in the corner, unsaveable

i think most people are being a little harsh on his overall game, he's by no means a liability though granted he's no scholes either.

he may never evolve into an all round brilliant player but if he can learn to keep it simple in the right areas, keep possesion, track his runners and show good discipline when not on the ball (all of which are by no means difficult things to learn) and you add those to his goalscoring i'd ask how can he not be good enough?

people forget just how inconsistant lampard was at that age and he turned out pretty well

and yeah he looked a bit lardy

We shouldnt really play with 2 water carriers for Gibson just to accomodate him.

Why not? I think it's a good option to have in games where Fergie likes to play 1 up top. 2 of either Carrick, Fletch and Scholes sat behind him would be just fine.

Is there something more important than scoring in football? I will never understand why anybody will not be happy with this kid.
solid player and SAF knows best.

Not conceding more than you score is. No team can carry a player in midfield. Have a look at England's attempts to do so. People have got carried away with his scoring record too. How many has he actually scored in professional football? Was he prolific for th reserves?

he can sit in the middle of the pitch and eat cheeseburgers all match... maybe even take a nap. If he gets up for a few minutes and scores a scorcher or two, job done as far as i'm concerned.

he can sit in the middle of the pitch and eat cheeseburgers all match... maybe even take a nap. If he gets up for a few minutes and scores a scorcher or two, job done as far as i'm concerned.

Nah. What good is scoring 1 screamer in a game if, because we've been taken apart in the middle, we're 2 or 3 goals down?

Was thinking about this last night.

Personally, I have major doubts about whether Gibson be good enough to have a long career at United.

I've also scoffed at people who claim that Fletcher improved dramatically so Gibson is bound to do the same. It's crazy to assume that just because one good player looked a bit hapless in his early twenties, then another player will definitely improve to the same extent. That makes no sense, most players that start off not very good, stay not very good. Besides, Fletcher was a far better player in his teens than Gibbo ever was.

But but but...

It struck me last night that I was missing the point. The really important similarity with Fletcher is the obvious faith that Fergie has in him. There are plenty of other good young players (David Jones, Ryan Shawcross, Frazier Campbell) about whom Fergie made an early decision to move on. With Gibson, however, he keeps on playing him, keeps on talking him up and obviously sees something in him that us fans don't.

THAT is a really important similarity with Fletcher and that's why I'm prepared to go against my own judgement and be open-minded about Gibson's future at United.

It struck me last night that I was missing the point. The really important similarity with Fletcher is the obvious faith that Fergie has in him. There are plenty of other good young players (David Jones, Ryan Shawcross, Frazier Campbell) about whom Fergie made an early decision to move on. With Gibson, however, he keeps on playing him, keeps on talking him up and obviously sees something in him that us fans don't.

THAT is a really important similarity with Fletcher and that's why I'm prepared to go against my own judgement and be open-minded about Gibson's future at United.

Exactly.

I'm confident he'll mae it here. I don't seem him being as important a player as Fletcher is but he'll be a very useful squad player imo.

Why not? I think it's a good option to have in games where Fergie likes to play 1 up top. 2 of either Carrick, Fletch and Scholes sat behind him would be just fine.

If we play 2 players just to accomodate a single player, this player has to be the top bollocks. We did it for Ronaldo. We would do it for Rooney. But Fergie would never do that for Gibson.

If you do make a system and field players to accomodate one single player, this player then has to deliver something outstanding (as Ronaldo or Rooney did). I cant see that with Gibson

If we play 2 players just to accomodate a single player, this player has to be the top bollocks. We did it for Ronaldo. We would do it for Rooney. But Fergie would never do that for Gibson.

If you do make a system and field players to accomodate one single player, this player then has to deliver something outstanding (as Ronaldo or Rooney did). I cant see that with Gibson

You're looking at it from a skewed angle. As i said before, i'm on about in games where we would play 1 up front anyway. Therfore it's not to accomodate Gibson, he would just be the furthest of the 3 central midfield players. It's that position that suits him down to the ground.

For me that's not accomodating him, but putting a player in his best position for the benefit of the team.

Personally, I have major doubts about whether Gibson be good enough to have a long career at United.

I've also scoffed at people who claim that Fletcher improved dramatically so Gibson is bound to do the same. It's crazy to assume that just because one good player looked a bit hapless in his early twenties, then another player will definitely improve to the same extent. That makes no sense, most players that start off not very good, stay not very good. Besides, Fletcher was a far better player in his teens than Gibbo ever was.

But but but...

The similarity I see is that like Fletcher, Gibson might need a couple of seasons to bed-in, build confidence and mature.

Last season against Milan, there were glimpses that he might develop into a strong, forceful midfielder with shades of Keane or a Robson. I agree that the key factor is SAF's belief in him and as supporters perhaps, we should show more leniency towards him.

He's 22. I think at this stage he's done enough to justify a place in the squad. The rest is up to himself to prove himself I guess. But time is on his side, I'd love to see him develop into a regular in our MF over the next 2-3 years.

You're looking at it from a skewed angle. As i said before, i'm on about in games where we would play 1 up front anyway. Therfore it's not to accomodate Gibson, he would just be the furthest of the 3 central midfield players. It's that position that suits him down to the ground.

For me that's not accomodating him, but putting a player in his best position for the benefit of the team.

The opening post stated that we should accomodate him by playing 2 water carriers for him. And that is very unlikely to happen, hence my comment.

He certainly can play in a midfield 3, the question is if he will develop into a top class midfielder or if he will remain a squad player (being overtaken by other young players) who gets just a couple of games a season.

The opening post stated that we should accomodate him by playing 2 water carriers for him. And that is very unlikely to happen, hence my comment.

He certainly can play in a midfield 3, the question is if he will develop into a top class midfielder or if he will remain a squad player (being overtaken by other young players) who gets just a couple of games a season.

Yes, that's what the original post said. But it's not wrong. Zebra didn't say "we should play him every game, he should play behind Rooney and to accomodate him play 2 water carriers behind him." He simply states the circs in which Gibson plays best.

if i m not wrong, yesterday's goal was the first freekick he scored for the senior side - which bodes well.
If he starts scoring those too, next season goal tally will easily reach double digits

But but but...

The level of faith shown in Fletcher was far greater though. He was put in the team at a much younger age and played more regularly. Gibson has got his chance due to injuries mostly. I don't think the two are comparable in any way.

There were loads of people who continued to not rate him even when he was played central midfield.

You'll find that's mostly because people had a preconcieved idea about him based on his prior performances

:boring:

So you reckon Fergie isnt qualified to make a call on his all round game right now?

Do people even read what the write before they post here?

But but but...

You can't really tell what doubts Ferguson has about a player though - until they're gone. He'll happily talk up the positive side and won't mention the negative. The only way really to tell is if he starts putting the player in the team a lot, and especially trusting that player in big games. Fair enough, he has done some of this with Gibson, and says he will do more, but I don't think he's blind - I think he will still have some concerns over the player's engine.

You can't really tell what doubts Ferguson has about a player though - until they're gone. He'll happily talk up the positive side and won't mention the negative. The only way really to tell is if he starts putting the player in the team a lot, and especially trusting that player in big games. Fair enough, he has done some of this with Gibson, and says he will do more, but I don't think he's blind - I think he will still have some concerns over the player's engine.

Well it's obvious, Fergie is trying to make sure the team stays balanced when it comes to having at least one Irish player and one Scottish player so he keeps playing them until they get good enough :D

Good on you Fergie!

Gibson has never impressed me. Fletcher was a scapegoat at a time when United were struggling badly, he didnt have it easy at all and he was the one fans loved to get onto. Gibson has never been subjected to that and for me hasn't shown any of the desire or commitment that Fletcher has. Now i can't say for sure about that but from people saying he looks a bit fat etc it doesn't bode well.

Fletcher was a player who showed what he had at a young age it was just ignored and also he was played out of position on the right so often. Gibson has shown that he has an excellent strike but i've never seen him play a great pass or even link play etc

This will be his final season at United, it's surely make or break time for him. I just don't think he has what it takes.

People forget Fletcher progress was stalled by an ACL injury where he missed a full season. Also as he was versatile he often played on the wing - this has helped him as he has good close control and can maneuverer the ball without having to do a rushed pass.

Rooney played on the left side of attack but this helped him become better at attacking from different angles. Ronaldo played up front often and this made him better at playing across the front line.

The game has changed and the best players are mobile and adaptable - look at Schweinsteiger his time as a winger developed his dribbling and now how often do you see a central midfielder able to run from the centre - it creates a whole new avenue of attack.

Nah. What good is scoring 1 screamer in a game if, because we've been taken apart in the middle, we're 2 or 3 goals down?

Yeah i was (half) being sarcastic. the thing is, he really hasn't been suspect defensively has he? In his 1st team appearances, I don't remember him being at fault for any goals or breakaways.