Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Very harsh on him today you lot.

Yes Gibson should have played Rooney in, instead of trying the chip on the keeper. Funny part is I've seen Rooney do similar things when the chip wasnt the best option for him either. He then set up the second goal with some decent passing.

He wasnt amazing by any means but he was okay today and he had an impact when Scholes' battery had run out.

I was watching a game with me Dad. He sometimes watches United games (well every time i visit them so he knows our team). but he is not a die hard fan.

this is what he said during the game:

SJ: Gibson is warming up.

me Dad: Mel?

Sj: no, Darren.

I lol'd after few seconds.

Very harsh on him today you lot.

Yes Gibson should have played Rooney in, instead of trying the chip on the keeper. Funny part is I've seen Rooney do similar things when the chip wasnt the best option for him either. He then set up the second goal with some decent passing.

He wasnt amazing by any means but he was okay today and he had an impact when Scholes' battery had run out.
I agree. I am not his biggest fan and I doubt whether he will make it at United, but he got slagged off far too harsh despite doing well during his short cameo.

Was on for how long and got 1 assist and also slid Berbatov in too but he didnt finish. I'm not saying he was perfect, because he wasnt, but feck me try to gain a little perspective.

Huh? Where am I lacking perspective?
I said he frustrated the feck out of me, which he did and he fecked up a counter and almost cost us a goal, which is also true.
So where is my lacking perspective? Did I say he was poor by all means? No.
Did I say his overall performance was completely shit? No...
He wasnt good yesterday, that's all and that's a simple fact really, nothing to do with me not putting things into perspective, you know?

Thought it was a strange decision to bring him on when carrick was there, i can only assume saf considers him more of a goal threat and was looking for the second. His introduction could have cost us a goal, also poor decision for the breakaway, he has to think of the team there and play rooney in. On the flip side, decent ball in for rooneys 2nd but overall still unconvinced he will make it at united.

The fact he never even looked up to evaluate his options is the problem. His only thought as it often is, was to have a shot.

Funny thing is if he attempted the lob at 3-0 no one would be complaining. Wrong option considering the score line at the time though. Got an assist today aswell.

feck it. He was right to have a go. One thing he has got going for him is a great shot. Why should Rooney have all the glory???

Thought it was a strange decision to bring him on when carrick was there, i can only assume saf considers him more of a goal threat and was looking for the second.....
No. Carrick deserved a rest. We had no business bringing him or Giggs on against a Hull. Especially with us leading. Bearing in mind we need them for Wednesday.

Having seen the effort, yes he made the wrong choice but it was an 8/10 for effort. However the standard is so high around Europe it would be a minor miracle if Gibsons in Uniteds engine room 2/3 years down the line.

Time will tell though and for people thinking i've got something against him - I haven't. Being Irish I should be biased if anything. It's just that we've potential at United BETTER then Gibson and if they keep progressing it will be hard to justify picking Gibson ahead of them.

I will admit I think he can at times go missing and his lack of pace bothers me immensley. That effort he had bothers me not. In fact, I admire his confidence for trying it even if he was wrong to do so when you look at Rooneys position.

feck it. He was right to have a go. One thing he has got going for him is a great shot. Why should Rooney have all the glory???

right to have a shot close to the fecking half way line, with rooney clear running towards goal?

it's not about rooney having all the glory. it's about getting the 2nd goal and putting the fecking game to bed.

I don't think he's good enough for United, no.

Doubt he ever will be.

Make a good squad player or a spurs/villa regular, though.

Sell him for a good fee.

I think Gibson's main problem (and to an extent this applies to Anderson as well) is that he seems too eager to impress. The flurry of goals he's scored is an unrealistic expectation for him to live up to. He seems more eager to keep scoring goals than to keep things simple and put in good solid performances.
It's ironic because he's more likely to be given chances and get a run in the team if he does put in good but unspectacular performances rather than trying to score at every opportunity and generally performing shite.

Anderson suffers from a similar affliction in that he tries to force passes instead of keeping it simple. Once he gets some form going then he can try and become more expressive in his play but he's failing to the the simple things, and that's what's hurting him. This applies to Gibson as well, of course.

he's average at best, he's like a clone of tom huddlestone
Massive under-estimation of Huddlestone. If he had better movement he'd be a bloody top player and I'd definitely take him here if we didn't already have Carrick. Unfortunately his movement (or lack thereof) will always limit him, although even with it like that I'd be trying to sign him if I were Benitez. Put him in the 'Alonso' position and suddenly Liverpool would be playing like a team again.

Did anyone notice how in the west ham game he kept just making charging runs forward, even when the ball was in defence, or scholes was picking it up deep, gibson just kept darting forward and not helping out scholsey in the middle. He needs to be more aware of his duty when playing in a midfield 2.

Also his first touch let him down countless times.

Another point, huddlestone is a lot better than gibson, as maddogg said if he had better movement hudd would be a top top player, he has amazing passing qualities, reminds me of carrick.

gibson just kept darting forward and not helping out scholsey in the middle. He needs to be more aware of his duty when playing in a midfield 2.

With all due respect, how the feck do you know what SAF or the coaches told him to do? You have no idea what duties were conveyed on him that day, so you are better off saying that he needs to perform to your expectations in a midfield of 2.

With all due respect, how the feck do you know what SAF or the coaches told him to do? You have no idea what duties were conveyed on him that day, so you are better off saying that he needs to perform to your expectations in a midfield of 2.

Oooh touchy!

Regardless of his duties that day, Its tha basics of a centre midfielder to create space to recieve a pass and work in tandom with your partner to dominate a midfield, he kept making runs in behind the defence then it was leaving scholes exposed and not giving him the help he needed. I was saying he just needs to be aware of his responsiblity of starting plays, and that he needs to time his runs better, be a bit more patient and not every time he lays the ball off or goes to recieve it run closer to goal. I know he likes to shoot but he also needs to try to set the tempo more and work on his passing game as this is key to be a successful midfielder at united.

:angel:

Oh really like you do? Do you think the management tells him to shoot everytime he gets the ball. More than half his shots are not even on target and he always take shots only when he free and he still can hit the target. Like someone else said, everytime he keeps attacking and that is like playing only 1 in midfield and most of the time it ends up being Scholes and we know what a good defender he is. Last match against West Ham was actually the first time I saw him string together passes for a counter attack.

Oh really like you do? Do you think the management tells him to shoot everytime he gets the ball. More than half his shots are not even on target and he always take shots only when he free and he still can hit the target. Like someone else said, everytime he keeps attacking and that is like playing only 1 in midfield and most of the time it ends up being Scholes and we know what a good defender he is. Last match against West Ham was actually the first time I saw him string together passes for a counter attack.

I know for a fact, and it is on record some where if you care to research, that SAF told him to shoot more.
If you pay close attention to some of the interviews the players give, you will realized that in some matches, they are told to play very different to what you will expect from the said player in that position.
Gibson has not learn how to play the midfield role proper, I accept that, but you must know the instructions he was given before you can say whether he was doing the right thing or not.

I know for a fact, and it is on record some where if you care to research, that SAF told him to shoot more.
If you pay close attention to some of the interviews the players give, you will realized that in some matches, they are told to play very different to what you will expect from the said player in that position.

All I ve seen that lad do is shoot everygame and everytime he misses he has his head in his hands - EVERYTIME. He does not do anything different. He told him to shoot more? He is already shooting almost everyball he gets outside the penalty box.

All I ve seen that lad do is shoot everygame and everytime he misses he has his head in his hands - EVERYTIME. He does not do anything different. He told him to shoot more? He is already shooting almost everyball he gets outside the penalty box.
After those three shots in quick succession in the first half against West Ham, he calmed down and stopped shooting all the time (even though the third shot was the right choice IMO). After that he was looking to pass it around more, and his decision making in those areas was quite good from then on. Passing it when someone else was in a better area, taking it himself if nothing else was happening.

He just needs to get that balance right - don't be afraid to shoot but don't do it all the time.

I like him when he plays as the midfielder furthest forward in a 4-2-3-1 ala how he did at Upton Park. Still think he's too limited to excel in a two man midfield.

Gibson has not learn how to play the midfield role proper, I accept that, but you must know the instructions he was given before you can say whether he was doing the right thing or not.

exactly. No-one here knows what instructions he was given on the night

Which is nice for a change - because our midfielders are crap at shooting. I have a feeling that Lampard shoots more in one game than Fletcher/Carrick do in 4 games

I was impressed by his 2nd half display against West Ham, he played very well imo.

But its not unusual for our youngsters to get a raw deal from some of the muppets on here. They expect the finished article straight away, they have no patience and can't stand players having a bad game. Ironic considering the critism levelled at our players will often have a negative effect on them causing their performance to dip ever further.

Either way, I think Gibson has shown enough quality that he deserves to stay another year and compete. He like Rafael/Fabio/Welbeck etc etc need experience.

The best thing for Gibson is to get a regular loan deal next year hopefully at a leading Championship/Premiership team to boost his experience.

You have to take the opposition into account. West ham were poor. At home he handled the crowd well enough to play his game but it's silly to access game by game because he will have bad games. It's really only over a duration, as Gibson says when your fitness is on the same level..

The question is a fair one though and when you look at him and you look at who else we already have, it'd be foolish to not ask the question......You can't turn a blind eye to who we have coming through. You have to access the situation as Sir Alex might say :)

I don't think thats a bad thing at all. If your capable of scoring 15 a season, you should do that. Eventually you get better with practice. We could have said the same about Ronaldo until it clicked

The best thing for Gibson is to get a regular loan deal next year hopefully at a leading Championship/Premiership team to boost his experience.

He's 23 this year, you don't loan out a player at this age and expect him to come back and be a valuable member of your squad, you loan him because you want to increase his market value before you sell him.

I'll trust Sir Alex on this one but from looking at Gibson at the moment he seems a bit of a journeyman who struggles to get hold of a game and is often a yard behind play. Can you teach anticipation? Does it come with experience?

Thought he did well today in the limited time he was on the pitch. That run up the left wing was outstanding. Got into a good position minutes later too when Valencia broke forward.

I thought when Valencia broke forwards his positioning was poor. It was 3 on 2. He should have ran through the centre taking a defender with him and leaving Rooney unmarked at the back post. Instead he sort of ran alongside Rooney until it was too late.

As long as he learns from it though. He was good other than that.

One of those weird ones. Looks to have everything in his locker, but haven't yet seen him put it all together really. Maybe question his attitude.

Thought he did well today in the limited time he was on the pitch. That run up the left wing was outstanding. Got into a good position minutes later too when Valencia broke forward.

Yeah, that was a great run. Didn't put a foot wrong in the short time he was on the pitch.

Anderson's injury has presented Gibson with a great opportunity. He'll play a fair bit of football in the next month or two. Up to him to prove he has what it takes. He's clearly got potential.

Gibson put in a decent show but to answer the thread question...No. I don't think he will prove to be good enough to be a first team player for United. But with Anderson and Hargreaves out he will probably get the games to prove me wrong. I hope he does.