Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

How did I miss this from Rio:

I had to pull Cahill up today, #stayonyourfeet was in my head as I saw him laid there, top lad is Tim!

:lol:

Any GIF of him lifting Cahill?

That was funny.I don't know if Rio was actually that strong to lift Cahill or if Cahill started to get up when Rio grabbed him

I can see it now.

I think it's crucial that the Bolton players stay...umm.. on their toes.

I don't think he's good enough to have a short term future here either though Joga

He has glaring issues with his game at this level (lack of speed, apparent lack of instinct, difficulty imposing himself on a game, and more recently a dire shot which was his one stand out strength)

I think it would be very easy to improve upon him in the transfer market. More hopefully, Fergie has a young lad up his sleeve to show a bit more and make the most of his opportunity, in a way Gibson never really has

It depends on what you mean by 'short term'?

My point was simply that some players are in the squad specifically because the manager believes that they are likely to grow in to an important player for the club, while others are there simply because we haven't found an adequate alternative.

If Gibson was heavily relied on and it looked like he was seen as an answer in the long term I could probably understand the anxiety. But the fact that he has played so few games suggests that Sir Alex does not see him as having a long term future at the club.

The irony is that the criticism is not relative to his supposed talent. I realize that it doesn't really work that way, but it does seem unnecessarily harsh that the same people who regularly criticize him don't actually believe is capable of doing any better.

If he doesn't have it in him to perform better than he has, why not criticize the manager for not replacing him much sooner and for even considering him at all?

United don't have infinite amounts of cash to have 25 World class players in the squad.

Don't lose hope, wr8.

If this isn't him we'll do a candlelight march to persuade him, or burn effigies whatever you prefer.

Gibson is a rotational player.

When you have Fletcher injured, Scholes suspended, Giggs being 37 years old and playing handful matches, Carrick who has to play like 4 games in 2 weeks(as I can see him starting against Schalke both games and Arse and Chavs) you don't have many senior players left.

He did ok today. Not the best match for him(certainly) but he was a holding midfielder against an Everton side that played like 8-2-0 today.

With the problems we had today and with CL semi midweek in mind, we had to rest some players...

I don't get people's dislike for Gibson. As Sults said in the post above mine, United can't have 25 world class players in the squad. He did absolutely nothing wrong today, if Scholes had put in a similar shift, which he's done many times this season, you'd all be happy enough.

It was strange game to play in today in a lot of ways, because they left oceans of space between midfield and defence, so Gibson's main role was to get the ball and move it into the next third where Anderson was on his own and could start to dribble at their back four.

Gibson did it perfectly, couldn't have done anything different. But people want to bitch and whinge about Gibson because it's in vogue.

And then people talk about selling Gibson on, or suggest not giving Carrick a new contract which was equally senseless?

Why on earth would they? Gibson has played about 20 games this season for United, and been fine.

Gibson's not world class, and unlikely to ever start 40 games for United, but there's no situation in whichh United could give everyone that numbe of games. For the role he has in the squad, he's perfect.

The alternative would be to sell him for what, about £4m and replace him with someone of the same talent who mightn't be happy to start only that many games a season.

Gibson is one of our own, why people want him out of the club I'll never know.

my hope for him is that the club see him as a placeholder until it is decided if the younger midfield players are good enough. there is little point in buying a mediocre player that will only impede the progress of our younger players when we already have a homegrown one in the squad.

however, I have not seen much improvement in Gibson's speed of play this season. He is still ponderous on the ball and a passenger when not in possession.

55k. He'll get 100 very soon. He's going to catch up to Rio one day at this rate.

I doubt Gibson would be moved on in the summer anyway. There'd be no point. He wouldn't command a fee and I suspect he'd be happy playing 10-15 games a season in rotation anyway. His wages can't be huge.

Valencia is on there too apparently. Was OK with it when there was only a couple of players on it but now it seems they'll all be on it now

Our very own Bearded Genius :

283181557.jpg

:lol:

I think it's genuine. The people he's following are all from Liverpool and he's following a Claire Rooney who obviously must be related to him and he's following Jack Marshall as well.