Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I think it's genuine. The people he's following are all from Liverpool and he's following a Claire Rooney who obviously must be related to him and he's following Jack Marshall as well.
It's been confirmed by his wife. Unless it's her on the wum trying to trap some of his slappers into DMing him.

'Hey Wazza, good to see you finally on!!! Great night last night ;) same time next week?'

'YOU feckING WHAT?'

Number7

Ret's Slave
Reckon we're seeing a budding bromance between Roo and Chicharito...how sweet

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He is inconsistent. Can spray the ball about or score the odd goal. But he is generally anonymous during a match, pedestrian-like.

Fergie will start to think that he just cant be relied or trusted on in the big matches or those you need to grind out like last nights.

Someone has got to take charge in the middle of the park and just grind a result out. Gibbo isnt just one of them.

Ironically, this is about the only thing that he is consistent at.

Ship him out this summer and make space for some ressie or academy player to learn from the rest of the team.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Perhaps depends on you definition of the word world class, but I'd say we're not a million miles off that. We have strength in depth

I don't think it would cost much to find a better player than Gibson
Course it wouldn't. With Uniteds resources, perhaps they could find one for 10 million pretty easily. I'm sure there's some out there.

That's not the point though. Gibson is extremely low down the pecking order at United. He's not really gonna start if everyone is fit, unless it's an earlier round of a cup competition.

If we played Chelsea tomorrow, he'd probably be behind Giggs, Scholes, Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher and Hargreaves in the pecking order for CM. Possibly O'shea as well. Maybe Park.

Fact is though sometimes we're lacking in numbers, we have a game in a few days, and it makes sense to rest people. Hence we have Gibson in our squad.

Gibson is on course to have played around 13 games this season in the prem. That's about a third of the games which have featured Gibson. That's a hell of a lot, and he's a great option to have around.

When Chelsea got rid of everyone last summer, they got rid of Ballack and Deco. They bought in Ramieres. When Lampard was injured during that terrible run, they would have loved to be able to bring Ballack or Deco on. Players like Brown, Gibson and O'Shea are why we remain challenging. We need them.

RedPhil1957

:lol:

The 'where did you watch the game, card'. Nice.

See I don't think Gibson was rubbish or anything. He kept it simple as he had to. I don't think much of him as a player but at least he didn't let us down with his touch or by giving the ball away. But Anderson was brilliant. And Everton pretty much sat back and let us have the ball. So it wasn't a case of needing a Carrick-esque performance to let Anderson strut his stuff. Everton sitting back ensured that our two had a lot of the ball and could dictate. So it's an odd game to give that kind of credit to the guy next to Anderson.

It was not a card but a question - you do not get the same perspective of a game on the Tv as you do live, for all the different camera angles and great coverage they give now.
you now agree Gibson was ok we just differ on how important his role in the side was. Everton are no mugs and they had an extra player in cm which suggests to me he was quite important anyhow believe me Gibson was certainly better than the highly thought of Rodwell in this match.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Decent in possession but the same questions arise as to his off the ball contributions.

It wasn't a bad performance.
You're right it wasn't a bad performance, it was an awful performance. Didn't get into the game at all, had 3 or 4 awful attempts at goal despite being this fantastic striker of the ball. And off the ball, well, let's not even get started on that.

Would be a decent player for Wolves, but he really has no place in a team who's competing for a European Double.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Sick of hearing the "he done nothing wrong, decent squad player" excuse. A squad player should still have some form of contribution, and i actually believe we could have played without Gibson yesterday and probably fared the same. He was anonymous. When a player comes into the side from the fringes you would think he would do his utmost to prove a point to the boss, but Gibson hasnt proved anything other than that he's completely out of his depth here.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I don't think he is because he's not playing to be a squad player. He's playing to be a first teamer and you need to build on good seasons. This seasons been average after a fairly good season prior. I think we have a fair few good players, without being exceptional. Our midfield really needs top players

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It was not a card but a question - you do not get the same perspective of a game on the Tv as you do live, for all the different camera angles and great coverage they give now.
you now agree Gibson was ok we just differ on how important his role in the side was. Everton are no mugs and they had an extra player in cm which suggests to me he was quite important anyhow believe me Gibson was certainly better than the highly thought of Rodwell in this match.
Exchange Gibson and Rodwell and you wouldn't say the same. Unfair comparing Gibson, who did very very little, to Rodwell who was in a far lesser team on the day.

I always thought he was okay in the sense that he didn't feck up. But I don't see that as very praise worthy considering Everton just sat back and let us have it a lot of the time.

And my biggest issue is with giving all the credit for an amazing Anderson performance to Darren Gibson. That's just madness.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I kind of get the argument that 'we can't have 25 world class players'. But then again, it is possible to have our backup midfielder (which is what Gibson is) as someone talented coming through the ranks with a genuine chance to 'make it'. Gibson has none, he will always at best be 5th choice. Rather see someone like Pogba we hear such big things about being backup because there is potential beyond that role. But I guess he still needs time to I guess Gibbo will have to do.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
Fair play to Gibson on to date this season doing the job required of him, despite never reaching the high standards expected from a Utd squad player by a lot on here, he did his job, a job that required coming in when needed to give our more established players a much needed break, an important cog in the wheel in any team challenging for a championship, he never in my opinion let us down when he played for us this season & if & hopefully we will win the Premier league title he'll fully deserve his medal.

puNANI

He isn't good enough. I'd like for him to prove me wrong, but he is to slow on the ball and doesn't have any outstanding traits. Yeah, his shooting can be good but for every goal, there is 50 wayward shots where he could of played a better option. I'd like for him to prove me wrong, but I don't see it happening.

Aaron

I don't see what he isn't good enough for.

It isn't as if it's a choice between Darron Gibson and Wesley Sneijder.

What kind of player do fans expect the club to be able to attract with the job description specifying duties as Carling Cup, occasional home game against lesser opposition and to provide cover in event of an injury crisis?

Ringo 07

Im just grateful that we have a Gibson to have come on to give Carrick a much needed rest before our huge game against Schalke. Without Gibson, Carrick would have been facing burn out against the germans with too many games!

giggs-beckham

Clueless
i think we all know that he´s just filling a gap untill we sign someone or promote someone better, and there is nowt wrong with that,we´ve had loads of those kind of players over the years, decent players but soon forgotten.

Decent player? He's a terrible footballer, him playing for Manchester united is just wrong.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Why? He's a United fan, not a Darren Gibson fan. He wants the best for his club

I disagree in that I think he's a decent player, I'd imagine he'd do well in a mid to lower table side, but I do think he's out of his depth here
The best for the club, means the best for all the players in the club as well. Saying it's wrong to have someone whose made about 20 appearances for us in our squad is hilarious. This is a guy whose been very important to where we are this year.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I bet there is at least 5 United reserve/youth/academy players that can do a similar or better job than Gibson given a similar chance.