Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Well all that proves is that mostly swapping one mediocre player for another makes little difference one way or the other.

Which is going to make it all the more satisfying when a team allegedly packed full of "mediocre" players makes it 6 long years of winning feck all for Wenger.

Park, Fletcher, Gibson, anyone else you want to add to the list of "mediocre" players with more league medals than anyone at Arsenal?

Well all that proves is that mostly swapping one mediocre player for another makes little difference one way or the other.

And what did your "good players" manage to achieve against a bunch of mediocre players playing out of position in the FA Cup? A loss. Exactly the same as Chelsea managed last Wednesday in near identical circumstances.

You would think that a good player up against a mediocre player would win his personal battles. That three good players up against three mediocre players in midfield would cut it to ribbons. Maybe that's what happened.

Which is going to make it all the more satisfying when a team allegedly packed full of "mediocre" players makes it 6 long years of winning feck all for Wenger.

Park, Fletcher, Gibson, anyone else you want to add to the list of "mediocre" players with more league medals than anyone at Arsenal?

Why bite Pogue? It's Pete on a WUM. Nothing to see here.

It's a slow night, I'm stuck at home and there's bugger all on telly. Responding to an obvious troll will at least kill a bit of time.

Fair enough. In which case i'm surprised you didn't mention the midfield that played them off the park in the cup recently :)

Wish he'd pick opposing midfield players when not in possession. Just too static when not in possession.

Him and Anderson yesterday.

Anderson was sort of harrying, but he was coming in at people from the wrong side and taking far too long to pressure the man in possession. Gibson was just finding a position behind the ball and standing there.

He was excellent at West Ham last week, even in the first half, but the old Darron Gibson was back today. Fine and at times quality on the ball, but not interested in imposing himself on the game nearly enough.

40 passes in an entire game is pretty poor for a United midfielder at Old Trafford, even if 39 of them found the target. Him and Anderson effectively did the work of one player between them...one defensively passive player.

I was at OT in the Red Cafe before the game ( feck me what a circus)..but when the team was read out everyone got a cheer except for a collective groan when Gibsons name was read out...not well rated I'm afraid

I was at OT in the Red Cafe before the game ( feck me what a circus)..but when the team was read out everyone got a cheer except for a collective groan when Gibsons name was read out...not well rated I'm afraid

Groaning at Fergies team selection? They must have felt like proper pillocks after the performace Gibson put in & the win so.

Groaning at Fergies team selection? They must have felt like proper pillocks after the performace Gibson put in & the win so.

Gibson did OK but it was hardly the sort of performance that would mae anyone feel stupid.

Cant wait til he is gone, so we can end this debate, that said he is above reproach for his last two performances

Gibson did OK but it was hardly the sort of performance that would mae anyone feel stupid.

It would have been enough to make me feel stupid. He is utd player & to date has stepped in & has done the job for us when required this season, i think he deserves a cheer just like the rest of our players.

It would have been enough to make me feel stupid. He is utd player & to date has stepped in & has done the job for us when required this season, i think he deserves a cheer just like the rest of our players.

I agree with that but then i'm not the sort to bitch and moan about team selections anyway. I think the sort of people that didn't cheer won't give a toss or feel silly after that performance.

Him and Anderson yesterday.

Anderson was sort of harrying, but he was coming in at people from the wrong side and taking far too long to pressure the man in possession. Gibson was just finding a position behind the ball and standing there.

He was excellent at West Ham last week, even in the first half, but the old Darron Gibson was back today. Fine and at times quality on the ball, but not interested in imposing himself on the game nearly enough.

40 passes in an entire game is pretty poor for a United midfielder at Old Trafford, even if 39 of them found the target. Him and Anderson effectively did the work of one player between them...one defensively passive player.

It might have been a one yard lay off but Anderson certainly influenced the game, more than a "passive defensive" player would. And I'll give Anderson the criticism he deserves he fecking was abysmal with that miss when Berba layed off, but that pass was nifty and creative, just goes to show a mere tap can open it up. I have to say I think he was better than Gibson much better so I dont see why both are being compared to each other. Scholes, Anderson, and Gibson, sure you could give them shit but when the only of them that moves around a lot is Anderson how can you expect them to close down all of the opposiiton although it wasnt as if Fulham really ever troubled them. So with all the criticism et al., all and all they didnt do too much wrong 2-0 and marching on works for me

What I've noticed in his last few games is his discipline at holding his position in midfield. He used to do my head in legging it forward at every oppurtunity but recently he has held his position well and made the correct moves further forward at the right times.
Hopefully he will continue to make such improvements.

At the end of the day, we've needed Gibson these last few weeks to do his bit towards keeping our league campaign on track. And that's exactly what he's done. At least one really good performances, some ok ones (which is where I would file yesterday) and no real stinkers. Which is all that anyone would have hoped, bearing in mind how far off the pace he was in his first few games of the season.

Has he done enough to secure his place for next season? Feck knows. A lot will depend on our transfer business in the summer but he needs to improve a lot if he wants to compete for a regular place in the team. Whatever happens, though, he's done better in the last few games than a lot of us expected (myself included) and repaid Fergie's faith in him.

At the end of the day, we've needed Gibson these last few weeks to do his bit towards keeping our league campaign on track. And that's exactly what he's done. At least one really good performances, some ok ones (which is where I would file yesterday) and no real stinkers. Which is all that anyone would have hoped, bearing in mind how far off the pace he was in his first few games of the season.

Has he done enough to secure his place for next season? Feck knows. A lot will depend on our transfer business in the summer but he needs to improve a lot if he wants to compete for a regular place in the team. Whatever happens, though, he's done better in the last few games than a lot of us expected (myself included)

feck no, and 18 months on you can quote me on that

18 months from now when we pull out this thread to make fun of gibson you can quote me on it

What kind of arsehole would pull out an 18 month old thread to make fun of someone?

It's simple, you can't have an opinion however valid on any player in case somewhere in the future you're made to look a fool due to your comments. We should all sit here and type...'we believe!'.

Well Gibson's potentially the next Essien. I said it. Quote me in 18 months.

That's the thing I dont get Pogue, why are you so upset about it, I could care less if I am wrong really, but in all honesty I dont think I am going to be. IF someone busts out a thread from 18 moths ago and shows someone being anti-lets say hmmm Nani why not point that out. hehe

It's simple, you can't have an opinion however valid on any player in case somewhere in the future you're made to look a fool due to your comments. We should all sit here and type...'we believe!'.

Well Gibson's potentially the next Essien. I said it. Quote me in 18 months.

That's the thing though I am taking the stand and like Pogue with Nani, I think Gibson is going to be gone after this season, and honestly I think the first team will be better off, he is a Kieran richardson type, decent, but no where near good enough for United.

That's the thing I dont get Pogue, why are you so upset about it, I could care less if I am wrong really, but in all honesty I dont think I am going to be. IF someone busts out a thread from 18 moths ago and shows someone being anti-lets say hmmm Nani why not point that out. hehe

Like I said, there's loads of stuff I've been wrong about. I thought Torres would flop at Liverpool, I thought Vermaelen was too short to be a success, I never thought Tevez would be as prolific as he has been at City etc. etc. etc. It's really not hard to dig out old posts where I've been flat wrong. I'm sure the same applies to all of us.

I specifically have an issue with people being laughed at for, shock horror, having major doubts about Nani - at a time when it really looked like he was failing to take his last big chance. It's not like he's only just arrived at the club and was still settling in.

feck it, this has been done to death on about 3 different threads now. I've made my point quite clear by now.

Like I said, there's loads of stuff I've been wrong about. I thought Torres would flop at Liverpool, I thought Vermaelen was too short to be a success, I never thought Tevez would be as prolific as he has been at City etc. etc. etc. It's really not hard to dig out old posts where I've been flat wrong. I'm sure the same applies to all of us.

I specifically have an issue with people being laughed at for, shock horror, having major doubts about Nani - at a time when it really looked like he was failing to take his last big chance. It's not like he's only just arrived at the club and was still settling in.

feck it, this has been done to death on about 3 different threads now. I've made my point quite clear by now.

In fairness you did question his talent, something that well I think from day 1 at United has been unquestionable

Gibsons a scape goat. Hes a decent player more then good enough for the role hes playing right now in the squad.

No he is not he rarely has a good game and is often ho hum about his dutie resulting in below par peformances, call me crazy but I expect more from a United CM

He's done his job for us but I reckon moving forwards we have others already in our ranks who could put up a challenge for his place in the squad.

Its an interesting situation he finds himself in. Personally I felt he would get more games this season and continue a similar goalscoring pattern to last season when he was pretty much a goal every two games. That hasnt happened.

But this season has not be a complete disaster for him. He's shown improvement in general play and passing and has done a good job for the team when he's been needed. These arent signs of a fast ascent into becoming a quality player, but its improvement in a few areas he was lacking and if in the future he can show this general play and score the goals he was scoring last season, then he can be a good player. Not a first choice, but a good player.

Just finished training waiting to go in this Press conference for the CL game vs Chelsea! I'll get 2-3questions maximum I reckon!

#stayonyourfeet will no doubt make an appearance no matter what question it is!! Watch this space....

I'm gonna bring out OFFICIAL #stayonyourfeet t-shirts tweeps + raise some money for a good cause while doing it!! Watch this space....

He's really loving the stay on your feet reference :lol:

:lol:

Watching the press conference live now, no mention of #StayOnYourFeet yet. I see Robbie Savage got it in a couple of times last night on MOTD2.