Danny Welbeck

Welbeck is a strange one - even at U18s and U21s he was exactly the same player. Almost unplayable on his day - but to have so many qualities and score so few goals, that is almost impressive. At 33 years old, after playing 450 matches - he has scored 99 goals. And he was the same when playing for our youth-teams. He could score 3-4 goals in a game and be mentioned as one of the biggest talents we had ever produced - and then he could go on a run of 5-6 games without a goal.

He had 2 seasons at United where he scored 9 goals in the league, apart from those 2 seasons he has never scored more than 6 goals in a season. And yes - people bring up the injuries but - he has had 9 seasons where he played 25 or more matches in the league. He still hasn't scored more than 6 goals in the league since 2014.

Not even joking, I would absolutely 100% have him back for a bit

We need a goalscoring and PL experienced forward in my humble opinion, to take some of the load

Welbeck is a strange one - even at U18s and U21s he was exactly the same player. Almost unplayable on his day - but to have so many qualities and score so few goals, that is almost impressive. At 33 years old, after playing 450 matches - he has scored 99 goals. And he was the same when playing for our youth-teams. He could score 3-4 goals in a game and be mentioned as one of the biggest talents we had ever produced - and then he could go on a run of 5-6 games without a goal.

He had 2 seasons at United where he scored 9 goals in the league, apart from those 2 seasons he has never scored more than 6 goals in a season. And yes - people bring up the injuries but - he has had 9 seasons where he played 25 or more matches in the league. He still hasn't scored more than 6 goals in the league since 2014.

100 goals in 450 games isn’t bad.

Because he is a decent midtable PL striker/player, nothing more. There is a reason he did not make it at United and Arsenal, and is at Brighton.

The goal he scored against Derby is still one of my favourites. Players like him, Evans and Gomes I feel we should have got more out of them.

Yeah, he’s a good footballer, but not a great goal scorer.

Overall, I’d say he’s (was) more than good enough to be a squad option for almost every PL side. But to fill that role, you need to be available most of the time, and his injury record never permitted that.

Glad to see him still doing a job for a decent team, though. Always had a soft spot for Welbz, and wished it’d turned out different for him here!

100 goals in 450 games isn’t bad.

1 goal every 4.5 game is bad for a striker. Especially when you have played for United under Ferguson, Arsenal under Wenger - and an attacking Brighton-side. I get that he has other qualities - but at this level, scoring on average 8 goals pr season (if you play close to 38 games) really isn't good enough

He scores a goal every 274 minutes in EPL, that is goal every third game, which isn't that bad. Mantioning just appearances doesn't tell the whole picture because he was injured a lot and has lot of sub appearances. He also played lots of games wide left for us.

Someone like Walcott for example has 1 goal every 290 minutes in EPL.

He scores a goal every 274 minutes in EPL, that is goal every third game, which isn't that bad. Mantioning just appearances doesn't tell the whole picture because he was injured a lot and has lot of sub appearances. He also played lots of games wide left for us.

He has poor instincts of where to be in the box or the correct type of finish for the right situation. If a ball is bouncing around the box he is very rarely on the end of it, doesn't get enough of the easy goals that build decent numbers. He is a really good footballer despite that.

Have some concerns that Hojlund might lack the instincts of where to be as well, the difference there is that he is actually a really good finisher.

Brighton scored 127 league goals in the last 2 seasons - which means they created a lot of goalchances. To score 11 goals in those 2 seasons isn't good enough, even if he just played about 3.600 minutes in total

He's brings so much more than goals to the team. Almost the opposite of Haaland. Yes, goals win you games, and ultimately as a striker, that's what he'll be expected to do, but he improves the players around him. I believe this is why managers, even at his age, keep starting him.

Loved him. Unfortunately he didn't want to stay as a defensive forward (he was excellent at this role) and wanted to be a main man at Arsenal. Injuries ruined him.

Good player, average goal scorer.

It’s all well and good picking apart Welbeck’s goal scoring record, but surely it hasn’t taken some of you 450 career games at the top level to realise that managers of all ilks have allowed him to play a significant role in squads and first teams in spite of the fact that it isn’t particularly good?

33 and still doing the business. He’s had a very good career overall.

Brighton scored 127 league goals in the last 2 seasons - which means they created a lot of goalchances. To score 11 goals in those 2 seasons isn't good enough, even if he just played about 3.600 minutes in total

Of course it's not good goalscoring record, but there must be a reason why they play him and prolonged his contract. There are far worse players than him, he is more than useful if he can stay injury free, especially because he isn't on big wages. I reckon he earns less than someone like Wout Weghorst did when he was here.

He has poor instincts of where to be in the box or the correct type of finish for the right situation. If a ball is bouncing around the box he is very rarely on the end of it, doesn't get enough of the easy goals that build decent numbers. He is a really good footballer despite that.

Have some concerns that Hojlund might lack the instincts of where to be as well, the difference there is that he is actually a really good finisher.

Yeah, Hojlund has much better shot on him which is a big difference. Welbeck's shooting and shaky legs were always the worst part of his game.

1 goal every 4.5 game is bad for a striker. Especially when you have played for United under Ferguson, Arsenal under Wenger - and an attacking Brighton-side. I get that he has other qualities - but at this level, scoring on average 8 goals pr season (if you play close to 38 games) really isn't good enough

You think he started most of those games??

It happens when our main defender is probably worse player than him overall.

Can't stand the little bollocks. Gave it the big one when he scored for Arsenal years ago. If he played everyone else the way he played United he'd be a generational striker.

Did I hear them say it was his 100th PL goal? Fitting that it would come against his boyhood club.

Might be one for the “weird feelings about football” thread but it feels like he scores against us every time he plays us

I thought that was his 100th PL goal but it was actually his 100th club goal. Still well short of 100 PL goals - probably doesn't make it

Might be one for the “weird feelings about football” thread but it feels like he scores against us every time he plays us

He only scored 6-7 goals a season, that's why they stick out when they go in against us

I thought that was his 100th PL goal but it was actually his 100th club goal. Still well short of 100 PL goals - probably doesn't make it
I thought it was his 100th goal against us. Considering that those are the only goals he scores.

Can't stand him... Of the same ilk as Friedel, Pascal Groß etc. Game raiser and then just goes on a 10-15 game goal drought afterwards....

I will always like him. I didn't want to sell him at the time and I thought it was a poor piece of business.

I really like him as a player and he brings a lot more to the team than just his goals. Always happy to see him score (unfortunately often against United). I thought selling him when we did was a bad decision.