Dan Ashworth - Garden ready | Back to football with United | use thread in United forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
We offered £2m and they seemingly had to get it done for PSR so I'd imagine the final fee to be closer to what we offered. I'm not sure anyone knows the true fee and people are putting numbers out there to seem credible. The thing that is most important is that we held strong and got our way for once. Good sign for our future under INEOS.

Plenty of places saying £2.7m

It's one of those - repeat a lie enough times and it becomes true. In this case I don't mind it because the narrative it (and the whole summer) spins is that INEOS are competent negotiators and we're done with the Woodward - Murtough era at United.

Ashworth in, Berrada in on the 13th of July and Wilcox here a while.

The team is set. They are unlikely to have maximum impact with so little time to integrate and streamline operations.

But they will have invaluable experience in the transfer market (Berrada and Ashworth) in a period of utmost importance for us. It is crisis time and we must act.

Wasn't far off in Feb when posters were telling me should pay the £20m :lol:

Yeah there were definitely two groups of people people who need to eat some humble pie. One clamored to pay Newcastle what they were demanding to get him in before the summer window starts and the other blamed INEOS for mishandling the entire situation around Berrada and were claiming he won't even start till next year.

Yep I agree with this take. Sure it might not be the ideal team on paper and we won't be as good as City. Mainoo + Ugarte might have limitations. Dalot still doesn't have that Trent / Trippier level output. LB situation is still a bit messy but the bottom level of the team should improve quite a bit as a result.

The drama free nature cannot be understated either. All young / hungry players. Just need to get rid of Casemiro, Sancho and Greenwood and become a normal club. Hopefully getting dropped by England and Garnacho providing a kick in the back side to Rashford is good enough motivation for him to put his head down and work hard.

The more I think about Ugarte and Mainoo (or Mount) as a duo the more I see it. I think what will happen is without the ball Ugarte goes and presses really high with the forward while Mainoo sits off. With the ball it’s up to Mainoo moreso to get us up the pitch while Ugarte holds the space and then goes and pens teams in as high up as possible. I can see with more intensity through the middle we will force a lot of turnovers and mistakes from the opposition. Our first 11 genuinely just needs a few tweaks and a change in attitude and confidence to be competitive.

It's one of those - repeat a lie enough times and it becomes true. In this case I don't mind it because the narrative it (and the whole summer) spins is that INEOS are competent negotiators and we're done with the Woodward - Murtough era at United.

It’s beyond that. £2.7m is a HUGE fee for backroom staff. Newcastle trotting out £20m makes £10m seem sensible. It never was.

Several months ago I said we’d pay less than £5m. That would have been a huge fee.

We didn’t hard bargain. Nor did Newcastle. Away from the media maelstrom, both parties got to a point of common sense. It won’t be fantasy money. People started looking at him like he was a player.

His salary was £1.5m/year. £2.7m sees Newcastle ‘save’ £2m and receive £2.7m. They’ll report it as £4.7m+ by adding wage/bonus savings.

It’s all opaque but it was truly never going to be close to £10m.

Glad this is sorted. Alright let's start the rebuild then. And keep that idiot Southgate far away from this club please.

The more I think about Ugarte and Mainoo (or Mount) as a duo the more I see it. I think what will happen is without the ball Ugarte goes and presses really high with the forward while Mainoo sits off. With the ball it’s up to Mainoo moreso to get us up the pitch while Ugarte holds the space and go then goes and pens teams in as high up as possible. I can see with more intensity through the middle we will force a lot of turnovers and mistakes from the opposition

Yeah I agree that that's what will happen. We saw it a bit with Fred in the season before. But that type of runner + playmaker feels more natural in a Gattuso + Pirlo or Jorginho + Kante type pairing where there's an actual deep playmaker than Mainoo + Ugarte. Mainoo's a weird player and it heavily depends which direction he evolves.

It’s beyond that. £2.7m is a HUGE fee for backroom staff. Newcastle trotting out £20m makes £10m seem sensible. It never was.

Several months ago I said we’d pay less than £5m. That would have been a huge fee.

We didn’t hard bargain. Nor did Newcastle. Away from the media maelstrom, both parties got to a point of common sense. It won’t be fantasy money. People started looking at him like he was a player.

His salary was £1.5m/year. £2.7m sees Newcastle ‘save’ £2m and receive £2.7m. They’ll report it as £4.7m+ by adding wage/bonus savings.

Newcastle paid 3 million to get him out of Brighton. One could assume with the shorter length of time he’d been in the job, the bigger contract and Newcastle being super rich it was going to cost double at least. This is coup for the club sticking to their guns knowing Newcastle would have to fold and they were better off taking some money as quickly as possible. I still can’t believe they let him work this summer. At the start Newcastle probably could have taken a nice chunk of money on the proviso he started after the summer window

Yeah I agree that that's what will happen. We saw it a bit with Fred in the season before. But that type of runner + playmaker feels more natural in a Gattuso + Pirlo or Jorginho + Kante type pairing where there's an actual deep playmaker than Mainoo + Ugarte. Mainoo's a weird player and it heavily depends which direction he evolves.

The fact Martinez can step in and spread play is major. De Ligt is no slouch on the ball either. It’ll take good coaching but I think it may be something that the opposition actually find harder to nullify than just having one clear playmaker and then being out of ideas once he’s marked out of a game

All im reading about the fee is that it’s kept undisclosed so as to protect both clubs from being embarrassed as to who got the better deal.

Originating from a spoof post by a Newcastle fans Twitter

It’s believable though. My friends girlfriend is a headhunter for CEO’s at the £1-3m level. Gardening Leave settlements focus far more on knowledge transfer and clauses to not infringe on committed internal moves, than they do on cash.

They’re rarely enforced for any duration. They’re settled cheaply. Because football clubs are involved, £20m, £10m felt normal.

Its not. It’s generally a product of salary (ie ‘this employee was worth £X to us for his contract, that’s why we were paying them that. Give us that, plus headhunter fees to recruit a replacement and we’re good’).

All im reading about the fee is that it’s kept undisclosed so as to protect both clubs from being embarrassed as to who got the better deal.

Nobody gets a better deal. It’s been treated like a player transfer. It’s just bog standard compensation.

Didn't Newcastle pay Brighton £2m? So not much more than that (if true).

It definitely wouldn't be the full amount as it was negotiated before arbitration. We/Ashworth would've just gone through with it rather than pay full amount.

Hopefully a sizeable drop off from their ridiculous demands.
Six heads of lettuce and an artichoke. And a half-grown parsnip.

I saw on the news this morning that the Royal Horticultural Society have loads of contests this week, considering his time off I'm confident he could win something.

:lol: @duffer desperate for the fee to be what the Chelsea owners would have probably paid!

I saw on the news this morning that the Royal Horticultural Society have loads of contests this week, considering his time off I'm confident he could win something.

:lol: @duffer desperate for the fee to be what the Chelsea owners would have probably paid!
He's trying so hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.