5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaming the goal just on him is harsh. He was left 2v1 with no midfielder in front of him and Smalling dragged out wide.

How can you blame that one on Blind. He was marking two players (why was he marking two players anyway) and at the time made the correct choice - Terry stepped out to receive the ball in space, Blind knew Costa was offside (or should have been if CBJ held a line) so he made the correct choice to close the free player.

It's easy for you to sit in your armchair with hindsight and blame Blind, but unlike us at home, he hasn't got an Birdseye view to see a poorly positioned CBJ.

Mata is the most accountable for not making a challenge in the dying ends of the game, he allowed the player to take several touches to control, sidestep and produce a simple pass. He never even wanted the ball, complete disgrace.

Just seen this... what?! He faces him up and doesn't dive in like a lunatic... exactly what he should be doing. Carrick does the same thing on Hazard literally seconds before.

I think he was excellent, and has been all season. Arguably the most intelligent player we have, along with Carrick and Bastian.

Didn't our last goal(against Derby?) also come with him* pushing high and leaving acres of space behind, not even realising there is a player behind him, which not only intelligent, but even players like Rojo wouldn't do?
I seriously don't understand why people praise his intelligence all the time when he really isn't showing that he is that intelligent when he is playing as a CB.

*Both Smalling and Schnaiderlin were bigger culprits for that goal though, but still Blind's defending was terrible, him acting like this happens really quite often.

Are you like serious? He pushed up so that Costa and Ivanovic, in case a pass was made to them, would be offside. CBJ didn't push up in time (inexperience. Will come better later). He also went to cover a pass to terry and if another runner comes Smalling can take care. If rojo and all don't do it, then I'd be more worried because that's what you have to do. He didn't even need intelligence here. Just common sense.

If Terry gets the ball, then Blind steps out to him... he shouldn't try to read what's going to happen before it happens. He should mark his man.

They kind of should.

What in the utter feck was he doing for that goal?:lol:

What in the utter feck was he doing for that goal?:lol:

The goal is all on Blind, no question.

But you have to love the job Blind has done at CB the entire season. The man is simply not a CB yet he's held the fort down well. Not perfectly, of course, but he's punched well above his weight.

Still, we need to go in for a CB in the summer. I have no confidence in Jones. Rojo is a solid squad man for me but not regular starting grade. Let McNair develop on his own schedule, but he definitely can't be counted on yet as a starter.

I have a feeling Rojo is going to be Mourinho's darling. He has all the raw tools to be a great CB, he just hasn't had a run here.

One thing you can't argue with is that Jose is great on the defensive side of the game, and I'm sure he can build a solid player out of Rojo. Him and Smalling is an ideal partnership - pace, power, aerial ability, left foot/right foot combination.

People will use his slip today to say he's an awful player, not United quality, blah blah blah.

He was great today again, moments like the slip for their goal will happen. If anything CBJ is the one to blame for holding the offside line too deep.

Still something left to be desired at the back, but so classy on the ball. I'd be surprised if Barcelona arent all over him in the summer

He wasn't too bad for most of the match. A few errors here and there though.

You can say goal is his mistake,
but when you give 93% position to opposite team and your CM are useless you know this thing can happen.

Are you like serious? He pushed up so that Costa and Ivanovic, in case a pass was made to them, would be offside. CBJ didn't push up in time (inexperience. Will come better later). He also went to cover a pass to terry and if another runner comes Smalling can take care. If rojo and all don't do it, then I'd be more worried because that's what you have to do. He didn't even need intelligence here. Just common sense.

He sprinted to press feckin John Terry and left his central position, that was stupid and bad defending. Why on earth he comes out to press Terry who has his back to goal so far in front of box when he has Costa behind him?

He sprinted to press feckin John Terry and left his central position, that was stupid and bad defending. Why on earth he comes out to press Terry who has his back to goal so far in front of box when he has Costa behind him?

It's obvious that they tried to play them (Ivanovic and Costa) off. Two weeks ago terry scored a late equaliser because people took him lightly. Nothing stupid in covering terry at the same time playing Costa off. Now if CBJ didn't go forward in time and played him on is not his mistake.

Yeah, he was sprinting to press Terry. If he was playing them offside he would have just stepped forward.

How can you blame that one on Blind. He was marking two players (why was he marking two players anyway) and at the time made the correct choice - Terry stepped out to receive the ball in space, Blind knew Costa was offside (or should have been if CBJ held a line) so he made the correct choice to close the free player.

It's easy for you to sit in your armchair with hindsight and blame Blind, but unlike us at home, he hasn't got an Birdseye view to see a poorly positioned CBJ.

Mata is the most accountable for not making a challenge in the dying ends of the game, he allowed the player to take several touches to control, sidestep and produce a simple pass. He never even wanted the ball, complete disgrace.

Daley Blind's view on the goal: "it was a shit moment from me"

Even when Blind personally admits, on national television, that he made a silly mistake, people on here will STILL pretend something completely different happened.

a) Why on earth would we be deliberately playing an offside trap when we were practically sat on our own goal line? This is NEVER something any team would do
b) Why on earth is it ever the "correct thing to do" for a centreback to ignore the opposition striker in order to run off after someone else who's running AWAY from goal, and then fall over?

Why do people invent the completely absurd just to avoid admitting what they saw with their own eyes?

He made a very clear mistake, then came out afterwards and admitted, to alll of you, that he made a mistake. You're like babies refusing to accept being spoon fed sometimes.

I still maintain he defends like a defensive midfielder playing in defense. Far too much ball chasing and moving to anticipate whats going to happen, instead of anticipating whats going to happen then moving.

I still maintain he defends like a defensive midfielder playing in defense. Far too much ball chasing and moving to anticipate whats going to happen, instead of anticipating whats going to happen then moving.

More like a box to box midfielder. He doesn't have the discipline or positional sense of a true DM - such as Mascherano, Busquets, Alonso etc. He's a similar player to Sami Khedira in many ways.

More like a box to box midfielder. He doesn't have the discipline or positional sense of a true DM - such as Mascherano, Busquets, Alonso etc. He's a similar player to Sami Khedira in many ways.

Yeah thats fair... he would often go walk abouts when he was in DM last season.

Still something left to be desired at the back, but so classy on the ball. I'd be surprised if Barcelona arent all over him in the summer

They won't be.

Even when Blind personally admits, on national television, that he made a silly mistake, people on here will STILL pretend something completely different happened.

a) Why on earth would we be deliberately playing an offside trap when we were practically sat on our own goal line? This is NEVER something any team would do
b) Why on earth is it ever the "correct thing to do" for a centreback to ignore the opposition striker in order to run off after someone else who's running AWAY from goal, and then fall over?

Why do people invent the completely absurd just to avoid admitting what they saw with their own eyes?

He made a very clear mistake, then came out afterwards and admitted, to alll of you, that he made a mistake. You're like babies refusing to accept being spoon fed sometimes.

Based on the BBC interview linked above: Blind inferred that the slip was the mistake not his attempt to win the ball (which he seems to believe he would have done that had he not slipped). "I think that if I am not slipping I have the ball".

I myself think it was an error of judgement to rush out but what he said still leaves plenty of scope for debate on both sides.

Dont know why people think mourinho (or any couch for that matter) will immediately drop him.
Carvalho wasn't exactly a monster.

Meh, one of the few positions in our team i'm happy about (cover would be nice though).

If Terry gets the ball, then Blind steps out to him... he shouldn't try to read what's going to happen before it happens. He should mark his man.

So you prefer and reactive rather than a proactive defender. Why don't we just stick Jones at the back then?

If Blind steps out once the ball goes to Terry, he is in no mans land, Terry would easily have flicked the ball onto Costa. If he doesn't step out, Terry shoots. The point is, Blind should not be making two men on the edge of our box.

Not sure why there's any need for that?

He admitted that he slipped. He said if he didn't slip, he wins the ball, which is exactly right.

A) I have played football at higher level than most people and I can 100% tell you that teams do play the offside trap there. We were most definitely playing for the offside, hence the almost perfect line of defense on the 18 yard box.

B) because Costa 'should' have been offside. Blind reacted to the only threat at the time. CBJ threw the spanner in the works with poor positioning.

You clearly have an agenda. There's a list of errors before the ball got near Blind, with ruoghly 6 oother people who are responsible for the goal - Memphis poor pass, Schniederlin pushing too far too late in the game, Darmian's poor positioning forced Smalling to be pulled wide, Mata clearly didn't want the ball, and CBJ was sitting 4 yards behind his defensive line - yet you come here to place all the blame on Blind, because he doesn't fit the idea of what you think a Center back should be.

Just seen this... what?! He faces him up and doesn't dive in like a lunatic... exactly what he should be doing. Carrick does the same thing on Hazard literally seconds before.

Carrick positioned himself to block the available forward passes. In that position you want your midfielder to usher the ball backwards or wide. Mata did neither, he stood and allowed Chelsea to make the exact pass which he should have been preventing.

I'd like to point out - in the event of me sounding like a Daley Blind groupy - that although i'm impressed with his season so far, I agree that Blind is a niche defender and most likely not the long term solution. I would actually prefer to see Rojo given more gametime alongside Smalling, I've stated this on numerous occasions.

So you prefer and reactive rather than a proactive defender. Why don't we just stick Jones at the back then?

If Blind steps out once the ball goes to Terry, he is in no mans land, Terry would easily have flicked the ball onto Costa. If he doesn't step out, Terry shoots. The point is, Blind should not be making two men on the edge of our box.

No, I want a defender who does what defenders should do.

You won't see any defender anywhere that plays the game by guessing what's going to happen... because no defender should claim to be a mind reader. Sure, Defenders will anticipate whats going to happen and then make moves to stop it... but they won't leave their man and go mark another one just because they think the ball is going to go there... that would be completely ridiculous.

Blind should not be left with two men no, but in the case that you are, you mark the man who is the bigger threat in the situation... you certainly don't abandon him and run to someone else just because you think they might be getting the ball.

And he's not stepping up to play offside (if he was he'd do just that - step out - instead he actively sprints out of his defensive line) so you can't really blame CBJ that much. He is perfectly in line with Blind, and he can - in no way - guess that Blind is just going to randomly leg it out to John Terry. If anything, CBJ should have pulled Martial in to mark Ivanovic and he should have gone out to Terry.

Carrick positioned himself to block the available forward passes. In that position you want your midfielder to usher the ball backwards or wide. Mata did neither, he stood and allowed Chelsea to make the exact pass which he should have been preventing.

Mata does the same thing, Fabregas just uses the outside of his boot to play it around him... honestly, you're being weirdly hyper critical there, of a player who isn't reknowned for his defensive capabilities in teh first place. At least he was back in the right position and behind the ball, which is more then can be said some players.

Last edited:
No, I want a defender who does what defenders should do.

You won't see any defender anywhere that plays the game by guessing what's going to happen... because no defender should claim to be a mind reader. Defenders will anticipate whats going to happen and then make moves to stop it... but they won't leave their man and go mark another one just because they think the ball is going to go there... that would be completely ridiculous.

Blind should not be left with two men no, but in the case that you are, you mark the man who is the bigger threat in the situation... you certainly don't abandon him and run to someone else just because you think they might be getting the ball.

And he's not stepping up to play offside (if he was he'd do just that - step out - instead he actively sprints out of his defensive line) so you can't really blame CBJ that much. He is perfectly in line with Blind (watch it again), and he can - in no way - guess that Blind is just going to randomly leg it out to John Terry. If anything, CBJ should have pulled Martial in to mark Ivanovic and he should have gone out to Terry.

Mata does the same thing, Fabregas just uses the outside of his boot to play it around him... honestly, you're being weirdly hyper critical there, of a player who isn't reknowned for his defensive capabilities in teh first place. At least he was back in the right position and behind the ball, which is more then can be said some players.

That's exactly the definition of a great defender.

Costa wasn't his man, because Costa 'should' have been in on offside position. CBJ was already behind Blind, Blind was inline with the rest of the defense. Blind didn't step out to play offside, the whole defense (except CBJ) had already held a line and left Costa in an offside position at this point. With this considered, Terry was the 'bigger threat in the situation'.

If Blind marks Costa as you wanted him to, that means he has to take a step back and get goalside. Which leaves Terry in a seven yard bubble of space. If Blind remains stationary, Terry receives the ball and Costa has spun away, leaving Blind between the two like an amateur.

So because Fabregas uses the outside of his boot, Mata gets an excuse, oh and because it isn't Mata's job to defend he can do a simple task halfheartedly. Yes, I was hypercritical in saying Mata is the most accountable (I would now say that it would Schnierdlin for leaving his duties) but it doesn't make up for the fact that in this passage of play, Mata was about as useful as a Subbuteo figure.

That's exactly the definition of a great defender.

Costa wasn't his man, because Costa 'should' have been in on offside position. CBJ was already behind Blind, Blind was inline with the rest of the defense. Blind didn't step out to play offside, the whole defense (except CBJ) had already held a line and left Costa in an offside position at this point. With this considered, Terry was the 'bigger threat in the situation'.

If Blind marks Costa as you wanted him to, that means he has to take a step back and get goalside. Which leaves Terry in a seven yard bubble of space. If Blind remains stationary, Terry receives the ball and Costa has spun away, leaving Blind between the two like an amateur.

So because Fabregas uses the outside of his boot, Mata gets an excuse, oh and because it isn't Mata's job to defend he can do a simple task halfheartedly. Yes, I was hypercritical in saying Mata is the most accountable (I would now say that it would Schnierdlin for leaving his duties) but it doesn't make up for the fact that in this passage of play, Mata was about as useful as a Subbuteo figure.

Massively incorrect

And a great defender reads the play and does his defending at the right moments. He doesn't just randomly go to where he think the balls going to be before a player makes a pass....

Massively incorrect

And a great defender reads the play and does his defending at the right moments. He doesn't just randomly go to where he think the balls going to be before a player makes a pass....

Ok point taken, it wasn't as far as I remembered.

Here's a side view.

0.03 Martial and Blind both step up to try and meet the line. CBJ is looking the wrong way and about 1 - 2 feet behind the line.
0.04 Fab makes the pass and Blind then steps out.

I concede that it wasn't the "4 yards" I was claiming, but my point still stands - there are 3 players marking Willian, CBJ is looking the wrong way and playing Costa onside and Mata allows Fabregas the forward pass.

...but it was all Blind's fault.

Ok point taken, it wasn't as far as I remembered.

Here's a side view.

0.03 Martial and Blind both step up to try and meet the line. CBJ is looking the wrong way and about 1 - 2 feet behind the line.
0.04 Fab makes the pass and Blind then steps out.

I concede that it wasn't the "4 yards" I was claiming, but my point still stands - there are 3 players marking Willian, CBJ is looking the wrong way and playing Costa onside and Mata allows Fabregas the forward pass.

...but it was all Blind's fault.

Your analysis is spot on. Mata was goal side, but he never was in position to be between the ball and goal, cutting off a forward pass. Blind could afford to step into the passing lane because he had played Costa offside/being in the proper position, obviously not knowing CBJ played Costa onside. Martial was quick to push up/move his line forward when the ball was recycled before Cesc had the ball. Every United player on the 18 yard line was moving up as Cesc had the ball, the only player not doing this was CBJ, who just stopped moving/was moving backwards, worried about Ivanovic, who was yards offside to begin with.

Your analysis is spot on. Mata was goal side, but he never was in position to be between the ball and goal, cutting off a forward pass. Blind could afford to step into the passing lane because he had played Costa offside/being in the proper position, obviously not knowing CBJ played Costa onside. Martial was quick to push up/move his line forward when the ball was recycled before Cesc had the ball. Every United player on the 18 yard line was moving up as Cesc had the ball, the only player not doing this was CBJ, who just stopped moving/was moving backwards, worried about Ivanovic, who was yards offside to begin with.

Precisely. It felt like it took me about ten paragraphs to say what you did in one lol

At the end of the day, Blind slipped and Costa got through. He's not the next coming of Puyol. I'm just trying to highlight that their are about six other players more accountable than Blind.

Based on the BBC interview linked above: Blind inferred that the slip was the mistake not his attempt to win the ball (which he seems to believe he would have done that had he not slipped). "I think that if I am not slipping I have the ball".

I myself think it was an error of judgement to rush out but what he said still leaves plenty of scope for debate on both sides.

It doesn't really leave any scope for discussion, since he didn't get the ball and a goal happened as a result. He also slips as the ball goes past him so the fact he reckons he was getting to it just further proves how poor the judgement he made was. He slips reacting to the fact he isn't going to get anywhere near it...it's very clear when you watch it.

The other thing that makes trying to blame CBJ completely ridiculous is that Blind is IN LINE with CBJ before he randomly decides to run off after Terry...Costa only moved into an onside position when Blind left a big gap for him to move back into. If Blind's aim was to play Costa offside he didn't have to move up at all. I've only just reallised this watching it back but it's again very clear.

Not sure why there's any need for that?

He admitted that he slipped. He said if he didn't slip, he wins the ball, which is exactly right.

If you ignore the fact that he only slipped because he realised he wasn't getting to the ball and then completely re-invent what actually happened, then yes, this is exactly right. If not then it's completely wrong and a lie instead.

A) I have played football at higher level than most people and I can 100% tell you that teams do play the offside trap there. We were most definitely playing for the offside, hence the almost perfect line of defense on the 18 yard box.

B) because Costa 'should' have been offside. Blind reacted to the only threat at the time. CBJ threw the spanner in the works with poor positioning.

:lol: Sorry Pele I'll keep that in mind.

Blind was in line with CBJ before he randomly ran off. So you are suggesting CBJ should have read Blind's mind and run off with him in tandem. The daftest thing about that argument is that if Blind just stays where he is Costa WOULD have been offside AND wouldn't have got the ball anyway...Costa only comes back onside by playing off the back of Blind...but that is somehow more CBJ's fault than Blind's? Ok

You clearly have an agenda. There's a list of errors before the ball got near Blind, with ruoghly 6 oother people who are responsible for the goal - Memphis poor pass, Schniederlin pushing too far too late in the game, Darmian's poor positioning forced Smalling to be pulled wide, Mata clearly didn't want the ball, and CBJ was sitting 4 yards behind his defensive line - yet you come here to place all the blame on Blind, because he doesn't fit the idea of what you think a Center back should be.

This is why there is a need for the baby comment I'm afraid. This is a thread titled "Daley Blind 2015-2016 performances" in which people discuss the performances of Daley Blind. If I wanted to criticise Memphis Depay for not being able to play a simple pass, I'd go into the Mempis Depay thread. Instead though, because I have a differing opinion from you, it must be an "agenda"...I must have an irrational hatred for Daley Blind, because you're too childdish to accept your pre-conceived opinion on him might not be the same as everyone else's.

Most people, regardless of their stance on Blind at CB, would watch the Chelsea goal and accept that Blind running off, not getting anywhere near the ball and falling over, was a mistake, and that if he hadn't of done this the goal wouldn't have happened. These most people happen to include Daley Blind. You though have invented an entirely new scenario where in it is somehow "6 other people's" faults that this happened. You've come up with some massively over complicated scenario that doesn't even reflect what actually happened, just to avoid seeing a very obvious mistake by Blind...and then want me to believe I am the one who is refusing to see things clearly?

Precisely. It felt like it took me about ten paragraphs to say what you did in one lol

At the end of the day, Blind slipped and Costa got through. He's not the next coming of Puyol. I'm just trying to highlight that their are about six other players more accountable than Blind.

Nah, it was good dude. The fact that you can breakdown such a "simple" passage of play shows the interest and knowledge you have. The video of Blind saying shit was class. Blind is a player you want on all your teams, he's an intelligent footballer whom I respect a lot. He's got lovely hair as well.

The fault lay entirely at the feet of Blind, but he otherwise had an excellent game. And his mistake on the goal was one of good intentions, but it just didn't come off. He slipped, the ball got through to a free Costa and Bo-Jack almost got the recovery tackle.

Massively incorrect

I seriously cannot understand how can anyone watch this video and claim he stepped out to make an offside trap. :lol:

Few moments earlier before he comes out he does hold the line, but in next few seconds he thinks the the ball is going to be played to Terry and he sprints to intercepts it totally forgetting about Costa and realising it was a wrong option so that's why he slipped. It was instinctive and bad reaction, he thinks Fabregas will pass it to Terry and that's why he came out to intercept it, no way he thought of making offside trap there.

It's not the worst mistake in the world, but it's really interesting how some people won't accept it's his mistake and make the stuff up for him like the one about offside trap.

It doesn't really leave any scope for discussion, since he didn't get the ball and a goal happened as a result. He also slips as the ball goes past him so the fact he reckons he was getting to it just further proves how poor the judgement he made was. He slips reacting to the fact he isn't going to get anywhere near it...it's very clear when you watch it.

The other thing that makes trying to blame CBJ completely ridiculous is that Blind is IN LINE with CBJ before he randomly decides to run off after Terry...Costa only moved into an onside position when Blind left a big gap for him to move back into. If Blind's aim was to play Costa offside he didn't have to move up at all. I've only just reallised this watching it back but it's again very clear.

If you ignore the fact that he only slipped because he realised he wasn't getting to the ball and then completely re-invent what actually happened, then yes, this is exactly right. If not then it's completely wrong and a lie instead.

:lol: Sorry Pele I'll keep that in mind.

Blind was in line with CBJ before he randomly ran off. So you are suggesting CBJ should have read Blind's mind and run off with him in tandem. The daftest thing about that argument is that if Blind just stays where he is Costa WOULD have been offside AND wouldn't have got the ball anyway...Costa only comes back onside by playing off the back of Blind...but that is somehow more CBJ's fault than Blind's? Ok

This is why there is a need for the baby comment I'm afraid. This is a thread titled "Daley Blind 2015-2016 performances" in which people discuss the performances of Daley Blind. If I wanted to criticise Memphis Depay for not being able to play a simple pass, I'd go into the Mempis Depay thread. Instead though, because I have a differing opinion from you, it must be an "agenda"...I must have an irrational hatred for Daley Blind, because you're too childdish to accept your pre-conceived opinion on him might not be the same as everyone else's.

Most people, regardless of their stance on Blind at CB, would watch the Chelsea goal and accept that Blind running off, not getting anywhere near the ball and falling over, was a mistake, and that if he hadn't of done this the goal wouldn't have happened. These most people happen to include Daley Blind. You though have invented an entirely new scenario where in it is somehow "6 other people's" faults that this happened. You've come up with some massively over complicated scenario that doesn't even reflect what actually happened, just to avoid seeing a very obvious mistake by Blind...and then want me to believe I am the one who is refusing to see things clearly?

I was only trying to demonstrate that its a common practice...but thanks for the compliment.

Blind and CBJ were not inline. Blind and Martial have both moved up before the pass is made, CBJ is looking at Martial and remains stationary. He is 1 or 2 feet behind the line when the pass is made.

Blind slips when he tries to stretch and intercept the ball. If he didn't slip, it's perfectly conceivable he would get the ball. Why would he lie about this? Covering up a mistake wouldn't save him from LVG's analysis.

And you clearly do have an agenda. I pointed out that Schniederlin, Mata, CBJ and Memphis all made mistakes...but I haven't gone into all their performance threads to say they a shit and cost us the match. Just admit you don't like Blind and move on.

Blind holds some blame here, our midfield hadn't done it's job in pressing Chelsea, Blind made a split decision to press which was incorrect.

Massively incorrect

Pathetic from Mata but i expect that from him. Blind shouldn't be rushing out there.

I already stated that I think he made an error of judgement in rushing out. The fact that I agree with your overall summation, to some extent, doesn't make everything you say valid, true or fair game.

I took exception and responded to the fact that you clearly misused his interview to stamp home your opinion and infer that Blind himself supported your argument. He admits to the mistake of slipping, no-one here is arguing that the slip was a good idea but some feel that him attempting to win the ball in the first place isn't blameworthy. The fact that he admitted to a separate mistake has no relevance or bearing on the discussion surrounding his initial actions (rushing out) and shouldn't be used against him or those arguing another point of view regarding his initial actions.

For the record he slips well before the ball has gone by him as indicated in the picture below (he's already on his knees at this point). It doesn't change anything in terms of my assessment of the situation but does suggest that you are over-egging it a little.

8fj8w2r.png

Status
Not open for further replies.