Cristiano Ronaldo | Transfer Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
His performances could drop quickly it's happened to other great players in there 30s or he could turn out like giggs and play for us until late 30s. Either way doesn't matter because he won't leave Madrid
There were very few players in history who were so obsessed with their body and performance - and were constantly adapting their game to the new conditions. Stanley Matthews was. Javier Zanetti was. Ryan Giggs was - albeit only since his late 20s. Do you see a pattern?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
BBC doesn't get involved unless it's solid news. Here's hoping we don't get sucked in into this.
There's little doubt the reports are true.
What is in serious doubt is if he's serious about it.

Dr. StrangeHate

Probably what is going to happen is that Real Madrid are not going to sell Morata in fear that Ronaldo might leave. Then at the end of the window Ronaldo is going to commit to Real Madrid after getting his taxes paid by Perez. We end up with nothing and the city of Madrid would have violated us many times over this window.

Red4Life_#7

We can only dream :D

4 years ago he wanted to come back... I think that was the only time it was going to happen.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Can't see why. Isco will play off the left and Bale will play CAM, or Ascensio.
The whole Benzema sidekick angle falls on its arse though. If you no longer have Cristiano's goals you can't afford Benzema's productivity as a #9.

Donut

This is so predictable. :boring:

In the next few days they'll say he's reconsidering, and then soon followed by him signing a new contract.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You mean we shouldn't be in for him? He's worth all the hassle in the world Imo
Sorry what I meant that he shouldn't be near our primary targets. We should try all out for him if he's serious to come but not at the expense of our other targets.

I don't want us to be in a position where we don't sign him and also not get a striker at 1st September.

MUFC OK

How would people feel if we weren't in for him at all?

Personally speaking I think I'd just drink myself into a stupor until he retired.

I've always tried to hide it since he left Real, but I genuinely love the man.
Post of the day, sums up how I feel :lol:

djdhrubs

Am I being stupid and naive in thinking this isn't about contract negotiations? He signed a new contract in November 2016.

Isn't this about something else?

Hed Zitin

Well enjoy the saga that is inevitably going to happen and turn into nothing. I will not be getting myself involved in this past this meaningless post.

AXVnee7

Forget Morata! If this guy is available we should prioritise him over practically everyone else.

pseudo_canadian

Am I being stupid and naive in thinking this isn't about contract negotiations? He signed a new contract in November 2016.

I think he's using the media to make Real/Florentino look bad for not fully having his back about the tax fraud accusations.

VanGaalyTime

Maybe. HOWEVER: Messi signed a new contract last week. Rumours are that Ronaldo has a deal that he is always the highest paid player in Spain. Maybe Real are trying to get out of the deal?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
What's the reason for not wanting him back? Would you be interested if Messi was available? PSG will go all out to get him but Madrid aren't going to let him and Morata go at the same time. We need to sign whichever one they're willing to sell.
Many reasons for not, he is 32, Real will rape us in terms of transfer fee, our team is not good enough and will frustrate Ronaldo further which in turn might end badly, also I can see a fallout with Mourinho too.

$inner_88

BBC reporting is big news but if he actually means what he says is another thing. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

How could anyone not want him back. He's a United legend in my eyes and it would be amazing to see him at OT every week again. A different player but still un-forking-believable!

El Zoido

I think it's becoming pretty clear these stories of him wanting to leave are true. These tax allegations are hugely damaging to a man who's spent his entire career cultivating his image. And who else can afford him but us? Not saying it's going to happen, but.. it could. It's not unrealistic. I don't think he's angling for a new contract, but perhaps over the summer he might calm down and return with Madrid.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The meltdown when he stays.
Have you bothered to read this thread? Most expect him to stay or have very minimal or no hope of him coming here.

There'll be no meltdown.

pseudo_canadian

I think it's becoming pretty clear these stories of him wanting to leave are true. These tax allegations are hugely damaging to a man who's spent his entire career cultivating his image. And who else can afford him but us? Not saying it's going to happen, but.. it could. It's not unrealistic. I don't think he's angling for a new contract, but perhaps over the summer he might calm down and return with Madrid.
Realistically? PSG, that's it.

AXVnee7

I think PSG could afford him, and could well be a very attractive destination for him. But United is the bigger challenge, and he knows the reception he'd get back at United will be unlike anything else.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Please dont do this to our small muppet hearts :( i was looking for a nice and quiet summer

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This is like the Ramos saga all over.

They are getting information from a source close to Ronaldo, but just like then, the media is being used to run a narrative.
Most likely. Really pushing this hard. Ball back in Real's court.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sorry mate, but even though I somewhat agree with you. We need to improve several areas. But you don't miss out on the possibility of signing the best player in the world who is also the most marketable, and added to that a former united legend.
I would be livid if we let him go to psg.

Having said that, he won't leave
When he is in his 30s, you do.

Craig Ward

I really hope this doesn't become a circus, but have a feeling its going to be a media frenzy.

My first reaction is I would be against re-signing Ronaldo.

Buy him young develop him into a class act, sell him to Madrid who get the absolute best years out of him, then re-sign him in years he will inevitably decline. Doesnt sit right with me.

There are of course positives if it was to happen but this is surely all non-sense. Remember when we were nailed on to sign Ramos?

Raulduke

Pure speculation but how likely is it that the source in Dan Roan's story is someone connect to United? Rio, Rooney, Fergie even?

Tiber

He will stay in madrid and get a pay rise that exactly matches the tax bill.... but good god no deal would make me more happy.

Off and on the pitch I adore Ronaldo. Awesome player and seems like a great guy. Bring him home and we win the title by miles for at least the next 2 years.

The muppet juices are flowing! But this aint happening

ash_86

Real will cringe and give in, is the only possible outcome from this stunt. Probably they will cover for his tax money and a huge pay raise.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For less than 20m, I would take him back.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
No, but it us a clear case of getting real to pay that 14m tax bill.
The details of the tax office case aren't out yet, but it's believed he paid the tax bill last year - the latest he could declare it and get the 25% tax rate. The tax office complaint hinges on whether he can get away with declaring so late (some of it went back to 2011) and whether the contract that sold his future (post 2015) image rights to Peter Lim was a legitimate contract rather than a tax dodge.

The UK's tax laws are in general more generous to "non-doms" - basically foreign nationals living in the UK - than the tax laws in Spain. Ronaldo's tax people have pushed the similar (time limited) Beckham Law concessions in Spain to their outer limits and maybe beyond.

As for Ronaldo leaving, with the amount of money involved in his wages and the transfer fee it would be a huge gamble. I can't see why we'd contemplate risking it for a couple of seasons. Unless of course the marketing advantage of having him on the books really could compensate.

djdhrubs

On purely footballing terms, we need a good number 9, that's the role he'd play, and he could do it for at least 2 years whilst Rashford develops further. So it actually makes sense, more sense than even Griezmann who isn't a number 9.

The ludicrous transfer fee and wages it would take to get him here is something for the number crunchers at Old Trafford to work out. If they can make the numbers make sense, then that's fine.

Him and Jose were trading minor insults when Jose left, so there's that too. In fact, that's probably what's most likely to scupper a move back.

Status
Not open for further replies.