Cristiano Ronaldo - performances 2017/18

:lol: Someone doesn't sleep regarding this thread, is there anyone more paranoid than the Farcelona fans?

He's playing superbly at the moment. Shame he didn't turn up before Christmas which is one of the main reasons why Barcelona are strolling to another title, the sixth time since he's been there.

:lol: Someone doesn't sleep regarding this thread, is there anyone more paranoid than the Farcelona fans?

It's weird isn't it. They have such a brilliant team, they have GOAT playing for them. They won all but 3 league titles since 2008, won shit loads of trophies but still moans about anything positive about Ronaldo.

It's weird isn't it. They have such a brilliant team, they have GOAT playing for them. They won all but 3 league titles since 2008, won shit loads of trophies but still moans about anything positive about Ronaldo.

They had their golden generation, brought up Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi and others through their youth setup, had the supposed greatest team of all time, they actually spent more money than Madrid and during Ronaldo's time there they've barely been more successful than their biggest rivals and overall they are still miles behind in terms of trophies. I think that explains it.

Barcelona fans' relationship with Ronaldo compared with Madrid fans and Messi is damning although I'm guessing that's more of an internet thing than what actually happens outside of it.

They had their golden generation, brought up Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi and others through their youth setup, had the supposed greatest team of all time, they actually spent more money than Madrid and during Ronaldo's time there they've barely been more successful than their biggest rivals and overall they are still miles behind in terms of trophies. I think that explains it.

Barcelona fans' relationship with Ronaldo compared with Madrid fans and Messi is damning although I'm guessing that's more of an internet thing than what actually happens outside of it.
To be fair, Ronaldo is a narcissitic cnut whereas Messi is a boring colourless midget. The first tends to attract more 'haters'.

For specific fans of both players. They're both equally bad.

They had their golden generation, brought up Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta, Messi and others through their youth setup, had the supposed greatest team of all time, they actually spent more money than Madrid and during Ronaldo's time there they've barely been more successful than their biggest rivals
Not sure where to start but, say, from their breakthrough season, since we're talking about their golden generation, they've won 6 (7, if you count this season) league titles to Madrid's 2 and are level in CL titles. It's not "barely".

Not sure where to start but, say, from their breakthrough season, since we're talking about their golden generation, they've won 6 (7, if you count this season) league titles to Madrid's 2 and are level in CL titles. It's not "barely".

3 more league titles in a decade is not much considering these clubs win it pretty much every year. 3 league titles in Spain is not the same as 3 league titles in England. Since Ronaldo's been in Madrid, Real have won 3 CLs and 2 league titles to Barcelona's 2 CLs and 5 league titles and I know which of the two most Madrid fans would prefer if given the choice. This happened while Barcelona had a miracle of a generation with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, Fabregas, etc. coming out of the academy and with Barcelona spending more money than Madrid on top of it.

They had a miracle happen, it was their chance to catch their biggest rivals and now even if they go on to dominate the next few years they'll still be miles behind Madrid in terms of overall success, this inferiority complex pisses off a lot of Barcelona fans and it's why you see so many of them in this thread, not because Ronaldo's arrogant or narcissistic, I don't think anyone really cares about that.

3 more league titles in a decade is not much considering these clubs win it pretty much every year. 3 league titles in Spain is not the same as 3 league titles in England. Since Ronaldo's been in Madrid, Real have won 3 CLs and 2 league titles to Barcelona's 2 CLs and 5 league titles and I know which of the two most Madrid fans would prefer if given the choice. This happened while Barcelona had a miracle of a generation with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, Fabregas, etc. coming out of the academy and with Barcelona spending more money than Madrid on top of it.

They had a miracle happen, it was their chance to catch their biggest rivals and now even if they go on to dominate the next few years they'll still be miles behind Madrid in terms of overall success, this inferiority complex pisses off a lot of Barcelona fans and it's why you see so many of them in this thread, not because Ronaldo's arrogant or narcissistic, I don't think anyone really cares about that.
Not sure how you can claim Ronaldo has been successful in La Liga, it's the biggest 'weakness' in his CV, 2 wins in what is about to be his 9th season is pretty poor for a team like Madrid.

BTW it's about to be 6 league titles in 9 years for Barca. They have been clearly better than Madrid in the league in this period .

Not sure how you can claim Ronaldo has been successful in La Liga, it's the biggest 'weakness' in his CV, 2 wins in what is about to be his 9th season is pretty poor for a team like Madrid.

BTW it's about to be 6 league titles in 9 years for Barca. They have been clearly better than Madrid in the league in this period .

Individually he's been more than successful, collectively 2 league titles in 9 years is poor but they lost in 2013/14 due to him getting injured and they lost a lot of others by 1 or 2 points, then they won it last year with him probably having his worse league season in a decade so that can happen, it's football. It definitely could be better but wouldn't really call it a weakness, especially since he won 3 leagues in Manchester.

Only weakness in his CV at this point is his record in World Cups imo but he could retire today and have as complete of a career as pretty much anyone.

Individually he's been more than successful, collectively 2 league titles in 9 years is poor but they lost in 2013/14 due to him getting injured and they lost a lot of others by 1 or 2 points, then they won it last year with him probably having his worse league season in a decade so that can happen, it's football. It definitely could be better but wouldn't really call it a weakness, especially since he won 3 leagues in Manchester.

Only weakness in his CV at this point is his record in World Cups imo but he could retire today and have as complete of a career as pretty much anyone.
That's why i put weakness in commas mate, i agree he has had a GOAT level career. I just don't agree with your assessment on his domestic career vs Barca, i also didn't mention the Copa Del Rey which he's quite far behind Barca on too.

That's why i put weakness in commas mate, i agree he has had a GOAT level career. I just don't agree with your assessment on his domestic career vs Barca, i also didn't mention the Copa Del Rey which he's quite far behind Barca on too.

I think we agree on that too, even against this Barcelona 2 leagues in 9 years is not good enough.

Copa del Rey has been a weird one for Madrid, it was big when they won it with Mourinho since they hadn't won it in a long time and it's always a big match when they face Barcelona but other than that I don't think they care as much as they should. This year they were eliminated and even with the league gone they didn't even bother to put Ronaldo on, a few years ago the Cheryshev thing happened, in 2010 they lost 4-0 to Alcorcon. Madrid's relationship with the Copa Del Rey has been pretty weird even before Ronaldo went there, there are some years when they look very motivated to win it and other years that it looks like they don't care.

His evolution as a top level footballer is so impressive and he's been playing top flight football in England and Spain for 16 years. Incredible.

Exactly, Madrid only stopped spending so much recently once Zidane took over, as a Barca fan the 2011 team was probably the best football team of the decade. Madrid have been shockingly poor in La Liga this decade, and if Barca do win CL this year then it's 3-3 on CL's for the decade with Barca having many more La Ligas and Copa Del Reys. If that happens, not sure how anyone can say Madrid were better than Barca this decade up to that point.

No doubt about it, especially if they win the CL again.
Messi has as much chance, if not higher though. And World cup is there too. Maybe if Neymar produce some brilliant stuff in world cup, can make a case for himself.

Cristiano is a player I have grown to admire. He is an example of professionalism and is a good example to the next generation of footballers. He has the money, the fame and admiration yet still dedicates himself to the sport in a way I have yet to see from any other player.

What I like now is that he trusts his teammates a lot more and is in service to the team. He doesn't feel the need to be the judge, jury and executioner.

For those comparing him to Gerd Muller in a deriding fashion, Rinus Michels actually wanted Gerd Muller over Johan Cruijff at Barcelona and was flatly rejected by Bayern Munchen.

It's pitiful that people here seem to think Gerd Muller just hung inside the box like a Ruud van Nistelrooy, Inzaghi like striker.

You do not need to put down Cristiano to elevate Lionel Messi and vice versa. they are both great players.

Exactly, Madrid only stopped spending so much recently once Zidane took over, as a Barca fan the 2011 team was probably the best football team of the decade. Madrid have been shockingly poor in La Liga this decade, and if Barca do win CL this year then it's 3-3 on CL's for the decade with Barca having many more La Ligas and Copa Del Reys. If that happens, not sure how anyone can say Madrid were better than Barca this decade up to that point.
Keylor, Carvajal, Ramos, Pepe, Varane, Nacho, Marcelo, Casemiro, Modric, Kroos, Kovacic, Isco, Asensio, Lucas, Bale, Cristiano, James, Benzema.

Of course we stopped spending. How do you improve that?

And shockingly poor in the league? 96-92-100-85-87-92-90-93

Aside from barcelona everyone else wishes they were as "shockingly poor" as us in the league...

Keylor, Carvajal, Ramos, Pepe, Varane, Nacho, Marcelo, Casemiro, Modric, Kroos, Kovacic, Isco, Asensio, Lucas, Bale, Cristiano, James, Benzema.

Of course we stopped spending. How do you improve that?

And shockingly poor in the league? 96-92-100-85-87-92-90-93

Aside from barcelona everyone else wishes they were as "shockingly poor" as us in the league...

Only two La Liga titles in the last ten years is a let down. It’s a testament to how good Barca are which is why I don’t understand how people could comfortably view this decade as better for madrid than Barca if the CL difference is only one less

I also didn’t mean to say Madrid stopped spending as a criticism, it’s good they did that, they didn’t need to spend so much after a while.

Not sure what there is to debate. Barça was clearly better than Madrid in the last decade the facts don't allow for any other conclusion imo. But Madrid should not take that as reprehension since Barcelona had an exceptional generation, they should congratulate themselves instead for not allowing this period to be a complete Barça domination.

In 13/14 we were badly affected by Undiano's horror show in the clasico, and then by a combination of injuries, fatigue, some bad luck in the final games(especially valencia. How did we ended up with a 2-2 draw from that game is beyond me, we should have scored 6 in that game FFS. And it effectively made us give up on the league)

In 14/15 Modric played 16 games in the league. We were comfortably the best team in the world at full strength that season and if not for Modric's injury would have finished with at least a quadruple (Supercup+CWC+League+CL)

Ronaldo season heatmap for La Liga

2cdj334.png

Champions League:

33pebyo.png

Cristiano is a player I have grown to admire. He is an example of professionalism and is a good example to the next generation of footballers. He has the money, the fame and admiration yet still dedicates himself to the sport in a way I have yet to see from any other player.

What I like now is that he trusts his teammates a lot more and is in service to the team. He doesn't feel the need to be the judge, jury and executioner.

For those comparing him to Gerd Muller in a deriding fashion, Rinus Michels actually wanted Gerd Muller over Johan Cruijff at Barcelona and was flatly rejected by Bayern Munchen.

It's pitiful that people here seem to think Gerd Muller just hung inside the box like a Ruud van Nistelrooy, Inzaghi like striker.

You do not need to put down Cristiano to elevate Lionel Messi and vice versa. they are both great players.
Didn't expected that statement from you, sometimes is dangerous to stereotype some posters here.

In 13/14 we were badly affected by Undiano's horror show in the clasico, and then by a combination of injuries, fatigue, some bad luck in the final games(especially valencia. How did we ended up with a 2-2 draw from that game is beyond me, we should have scored 6 in that game FFS. And it effectively made us give up on the league)

In 14/15 Modric played 16 games in the league. We were comfortably the best team in the world at full strength that season and if not for Modric's injury would have finished with at least a quadruple (Supercup+CWC+League+CL)

Nobody was beating that 2015 Barca team. They had the best attack of the decade.

As amazing as that start was for Real Madrid, it is very very difficult to sustain that for an entire season.

2016 Barca was just as incredible but began to fade as the season went on.

Last edited:
The World Cup will have somewhat of an influence I think.
I will say this again, a CL 3-peat trumps the WC.

One is won every 4 years, the other has been done 3 times in the history of mankind.

One is won every 4 years, the other has been done 3 times in the history of mankind.

No Real Madrid player would pick winning the CL over the WC this season and the Ballon D’Or is an award for 1 year, not for 3 years.

Just as a matter of interest, I wonder which of the two Ronaldo would prefer to win. I don't know the man obviously, but as patriotic as Ronaldo seems to be, of the two trophies I don't think his answer would mesh with yours.

No Real Madrid player would pick winning the CL over the WC this season and the Ballon D’Or is an award for 1 year, not for 3 years.
That’s because they already have those 2 CLs in the bag. 1 WC & 2 CL > 3 CL

Just as a matter of interest, I wonder which of the two Ronaldo would prefer to win. I don't the know man obviously, but as patriotic as Ronaldo seems to be, of the two trophies I don't think his answer would mesh with yours.
I didn’t say he’d prefer to win the CL, just that a CL 3-peat is a bigger achievement than winning th WC

I didn’t say he’d prefer to win the CL, just that a CL 3-peat is a bigger achievement than winning th WC
Ronaldo is all about his legacy and there is nothing that would cement that legacy more as a possible GOAT than a World Cup win. Pele did it, Maradona did it and it's one of the few things being held against Messi, that of his lack of success on the international stage. If Cristiano wins a World Cup with a decent but not great Portugal team then he really would be without doubt IMLTHO the greatest player of this generation.

World Cup over Champions League 3peat - no doubt.

Ronaldo is all about his legacy and there is nothing that would cement that legacy more as a possible GOAT than a World Cup win. Pele did it, Maradona did it and it's one of the few things being held against Messi, that of his lack of success on the international stage. If Cristiano wins a World Cup with a decent but not great Portugal team then he really would be without doubt IMLTHO the greatest player of this generation.

World Cup over Champions League 3peat - no doubt.

World Cup over another Champions League this year, there's no doubt about it, but a WC vs a CL 3-peat is another story.

Di Stefano, Cruyff & co are as very much rated in the GOAT tier due to their CL 3-peats.

Well really a lot of that might come down to WHO wins it. Only Italy and Brazil have won back to back world cups, so Germany winning it is a pretty big deal.

Also, if Real Madrid win the CL and Spain win the WC, What do you think the Spanish media will attach more importance to?

If Brazil win the World Cup, and Neymar performs reasonably well, you may aswel give him the ballon d’or in July. Same goes for Messi if Argentina do it. So that’s 4 teams and storylines that from a global media perspective, will trump Madrid doing a 3peat. Sure, it’s impressive but I’m sure you can imagine where the main focus would be if some of those WC scenarios came to light.

Well really a lot of that might come down to WHO wins it. Only Italy and Brazil have won back to back world cups, so Germany winning it is a pretty big deal.

Also, if Real Madrid win the CL and Spain win the WC, What do you think the Spanish media will attach more importance to?

If Brazil win the World Cup, and Neymar performs reasonably well, you may aswel give him the ballon d’or in July. Same goes for Messi if Argentina do it. So that’s 4 teams and storylines that from a global media perspective, will trump Madrid doing a 3peat. Sure, it’s impressive but I’m sure you can imagine where the main focus would be if some of those WC scenarios came to light.
The national press being more interested in the national team shocker...

Did they give it to Iniesta in 2010 or Neuer in 2014? The Ballon D’or belongs to those 2 until someone does something amazing. It would take Neymar to win the WC AND be top scorer to stand any chance. The way Neymar chocked in the last 16 match against Real already has him at a very weak starting point.

If Argentina win the WC, Messi will win it even if he gets injured in the first match and doesn’t play again; same for Portugal and Ronaldo.

I think you are the only human being in the world who thinks that.
Really? The world cup is literally won every four years while we may never see a CL 3peat again in our lifetime.
Just because Madrid are setting records doesn't change the fact that the greatest sides of our generation couldn't even defend the CL successfully never mind win it 3 times in a row, 4 times in 5 years!
That's "it happened in the 60s so doesn't count because it was against FC Cornwall" type stats.

The national press being more interested in the national team shocker...

Did they give it to Iniesta in 2010 or Neuer in 2014? The Ballon D’or belongs to those 2 until someone does something amazing. It would take Neymar to win the WC AND be top scorer to stand any chance. The way Neymar chocked in the last 16 match against Real already has him at a very weak starting point.

If Argentina win the WC, Messi will win it even if he gets injured in the first match and doesn’t play again; same for Portugal and Ronaldo.
The Ballon d'Or voting has changed though (again) no ? The world cup will play a massive role and will be more important than a possible 3rd CL in a row for Ronaldo