Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

I mean we spent 440m going from 2nd under mourinho to 7th under solskjaer/rangnick. In that context 200m to stay the same isn't too bad.

Seriously though, he's playing in Saudi Arabia, it's not a great standard, why are people making up stats to try and make him look bad, it's a bit weird
:lol:
Seems you are the one making stuff up here. When did we get 7th?
…., but we did go from 2nd to 6th though, when we brought in Ronaldo….

When Ronaldo arrived at Al-Nassr after gameweek 12, they were 1st, 3 points ahead of 2nd and 4 points ahead of Al-Ittihad who are now leading by 3 points.
Al-Ittihads main man, Hamdallah, used to play for Al-Nassr and managed to score a mindblowing 19 goals and assist 3 in 8 games in the Saudi Pro league to finish off the season back in 2019. He also scored 11 and assisted 1 in 4 games in the Saudi cup that season. That’s the level of the Saudi football. He is scoring goals and doing one hell of a job washing that Saudi image. Let’s see what Ronnie can statpad his way to down there.

Last edited:
:lol:
Seems you are the one making stuff up here. When did we get 7th?
…., but we did go from 2nd to 6th though, when we brought in Ronaldo….

When Ronaldo arrived at Al-Nassr after gameweek 12, they were 1st, 3 points ahead of 2nd and 4 points ahead of Al-Ittihad who are now leading by 3 points.
Al-Ittihads main man, Hamdallah, used to play for Al-Nassr and managed to score a mindblowing 19 goals and assist 3 in 8 games in the Saudi Pro league to finish off the season back in 2019. He also scored 11 and assisted 1 in 4 games in the Saudi cup that season. That’s the level of the Saudi football. He is scoring goals and doing one hell of a job washing that Saudi image. Let’s see what Ronnie can statpad his way to down there.

For some reason I thought we finished 7th last season. We're not far ahead of last seasons total at the same stage despite 250m worth of signings, eriksen on a free, rashford playing much better and a much, much better manager. Almost as if Ronaldo wasn't the big problem last year and it was a lack of midfield that was the bigger issue.

Whatever it was when Ronaldo arrived, when he played his first game they were a point behind in 2nd, I don't think he can be blamed for whatever they did between his arrival and his first game.

You know, for some reason, I don't believe he's actually reading the redcafe football forums, so it's not really him at the receiving end of trolling.

He did also play a huge part in our last champions league win and three league titles, for me, thay means a lot more than whatever happened in his second spell at 37 years old
So why do you bother trying to defend him here then? Its counterintuitive to keep defending him and then claiming "he doesn't read forums so it doesn't matter". Now, I would like to hear you saying that people dont chant "Messi, Messi" in front of him in South Africa and call it not trolling.

"Second spell at 37 years old" what the feck does that even mean? You mean its okay to talk shit about the club, bring all the unnecessary negativity around it when there's management actually capable to turn things around, undermining the manager in that interview, calling Ole capable enough to lead us to success at the time when he WAS on the payroll? All because he was 37 years old? Where was he with the lack of infrastructure and other bs talks when he was starting every week under Ole? Why did he come out with that interview when things started going wrong for him and clearly the team was doing better without him?

There were 10 other players who helped utd win their last CL and it doesn't give them the license to look down on their teammates and the manager and if you think otherwise, keep your head buried in the sand.

So why do bother trying to defend him here then? Its counterintuitive to keep defending him and then claiming "he doesn't read forums so it doesn't matter". Now, I would like to hear you saying that people dont chant "Messi, Messi" in front of him in South Africa and call it not trolling.

"Second spell at 37 years old" what the feck does that even mean? You mean its okay to talk shit about the club, bring all the unnecessary negativity around it when there's management actually capable to turn things around, undermining the manager in that interview, calling Ole capable enough to lead us to success at the time when he WAS on the payroll? All because he was 37 years old? Where was he with the lack of infrastructure and othet bs when he was starting every week under Ole? Why did he come out with that interview when things started going wrong for him and clearly the team was doing better without him?

There were 10 other players who helped utd win their last CL and it doesn't give them the license to look down on their teammates and the manager and if you think otherwise, keep your head buried in the sand.

I mean if people want to criticise him, then fine, there's no issue with that. But someone posted that they were 9 points ahead in the league when he joined, so of people just post made up stuff I'll call that out.

I mean that a player who was a huge part of one of our greatest ever teams gets a fair amount of leeway regarding their future behaviour. Like how Rooney gets a pass for his transfer request, or solskjaer gets a pass for wasting 440m. These players gave us enough good memories that it still outweighs the bad stuff.

I mean if people want to criticise him, then fine, there's no issue with that. But someone posted that they were 9 points ahead in the league when he joined, so of people just post made up stuff I'll call that out.

I mean that a player who was a huge part of one of our greatest ever teams gets a fair amount of leeway regarding their future behaviour. Like how Rooney gets a pass for his transfer request, or solskjaer gets a pass for wasting 440m. These players gave us enough good memories that it still outweighs the bad stuff.
Did Ole know that he was "wasting" 440m? If he had known that it would be getting wasted then I'm sure he wouldn't have spent it on purpose.

Wasnt Ronaldo about to join City before SAF, Ole and Rio convinced him not to? Also Rooney didnt come out in interviews calling himself a "slave" and then fecked off to Madrid serving his prime years there. And there is still a huge amount of utd fans who dislike him for that transfer request. So, another poor example.

And no, nobody gets enough leeway to disrespect the club, the players, and the management regardless of what they did in the past.

Did Ole know that he was "wasting" 440m? If he had known that it would be getting wasted then I'm sure he wouldn't have spent it on purpose.

Wasnt Ronaldo about to join City before SAF, Ole and Rio convinced him not to? Also Rooney didnt come out in interviews calling himself a "slave" and then fecked off to Madrid serving his prime years there. And there is still a huge amount of utd fans who dislike him for that transfer request. So, another poor example.

And no, nobody gets enough leeway to disrespect the club, the players, and the management regardless of what they did in the past.

I mean whether he knew or not, the point is he gets leeway from the fans for his mistakes as a manager, for what he did as player. Rooney wanted a transfer to City at a time when they weren't just city rivals but title rivals, a transfer which would have been one of the most acrimonious in English football history had it happened. And the vast majority of our fans have forgiven him. Ronaldo said some shit, but other than the stuff about ten hag, most of it was true, the Glazers had let the facilities go to shit, they have run the club badly. So basically it comes down to do you think 3 league titles and a champions league, as well as the only time any of us have ever had a player, playing for us, win the ballon d'or, isn't worth a few negative comments about the manager that he didn't get on with. Not Fergie or another club legend, a manager who took over a few months prior. I totally disagree with what Ronaldo said about ten hag but it's not like he disrespected a club legend

Whenever I see this thread bumped I’m so, so relieved we got rid of Ronaldo and let him be another club’s problem. Great decision from Erik and the evidence is there for all to see, we are clearly so much better off without Ronaldo. His move to Saudi doesn’t seem to going that well but he has raised the profile of the game there tbf: I saw the other day Sky Sports YouTube account had AlNassr’s last game shown in full. The standard from what I saw was sub-League One and Ronaldo didn’t stand out as a bright spark. Finished 0-0.

For some reason I thought we finished 7th last season. We're not far ahead of last seasons total at the same stage despite 250m worth of signings, eriksen on a free, rashford playing much better and a much, much better manager. Almost as if Ronaldo wasn't the big problem last year and it was a lack of midfield that was the bigger issue.

Whatever it was when Ronaldo arrived, when he played his first game they were a point behind in 2nd, I don't think he can be blamed for whatever they did between his arrival and his first game.
Last season we ended up 6th with 58 points, we now have 56 points with 9 games to go. How is that not far a head of last season?

I don’t watch the Saudi league, so I can’t tell you what role Ronaldo has played in Al-Nassr dropping points to the teams around them on the table, but their were top of the league when he arrived and are not anymore. When GW 14 started they were first, 2 points clear, and he’s played every minute since. Now they dropped 5 points to Al-Ittihad and is 3 points behind.

Last season we ended up 6th with 58 points, we now have 56 points with 9 games to go. How is that not far a head of last season?

I don’t watch the Saudi league, so I can’t tell you what role Ronaldo has played in Al-Nassr dropping points to the teams around them on the table, but their were top of the league when he arrived and are not anymore. When GW 14 started they were first, 2 points clear, and he’s played every minute since. Now they dropped 5 points to Al-Ittihad and is 3 points behind.

With 9 games to go last season we had 50 points, with 9 games to go this season we have 56. So we are 6 points ahead of where we were last season but we've had 250m in signings, eriksen on a free transfer and have a much better managed. You'd think if Ronaldo was solely to blame for last year's disappointing performance, that getting rid of him would have been worth 9-12 points extra, then signing casemiro, having ten hag instead of solskjaer.

I haven't watched it either beyond highlights, but they were not 9 points clear at the top as the graphic that was shared showed

We're clearly a superior functioning squad without Ronaldo, but it could well be an amazing coincidence. It's not as though Weghorst and Martial have been lighting up the scoreboard with goals or even assists.

That said, it's pretty clear to me that letting Ronaldo go was in the best interest of the club and that our squad performances have substantially improved because he is gone.

We're clearly a superior functioning squad without Ronaldo, but it could well be an amazing coincidence. It's not as though Weghorst and Martial have been lighting up the scoreboard with goals or even assists.

That said, it's pretty clear to me that letting Ronaldo go was in the best interest of the club and that our squad performances have substantially improved because he is gone.

We're better off without the Ronaldo of this season, obviously, whether through decline or personal issues or whatever he clearly wasn't working out. But last season he scored 18 goals and we're only 6 points ahead after 29 games with a worse goal difference than last season, given how much we drop off without him, I'd say casemiro is worth about 12 points on his own, as an upgrade over mcfred. The fact we're only 6 points ahead when we've added him, plus an actually good manager, plus other players we've signed and rashford overcoming his issues, suggests downgrading from Ronaldo up front, to martial and weghorst has cost us quite a bit

With 9 games to go last season we had 50 points, with 9 games to go this season we have 56. So we are 6 points ahead of where we were last season but we've had 250m in signings, eriksen on a free transfer and have a much better managed. You'd think if Ronaldo was solely to blame for last year's disappointing performance, that getting rid of him would have been worth 9-12 points extra, then signing casemiro, having ten hag instead of solskjaer.

I haven't watched it either beyond highlights, but they were not 9 points clear at the top as the graphic that was shared showed
Man united since the Morgan interview this season: 14 games (10W, 1D, 3L), GD 23-15, 31 points (2nd best in the league) 2,21 points per game
Man United with Ronaldo in the squad this season: 15 games (7W, 4D, 4L), GD 21-22, 25 points (6th) 1,67 points per game.

Man United last season (21/22) after his arrival: 35 games (14W, 9D, 12L), GD 50-55, 51 points (7th) 1,46 point per game
Man United 20/21 season: 38 games (21W, 11D, 6L), GD 73-44, 74 points (2nd), 1,95 points per game.

I’m not saying he’s a bad fit for AL-Nassr, despite me having zero respect for the choice of club and League, but he was a total disaster for us. A 15 months long nightmare for the club.

edit: You have a point with Casemiro having a huge positive impact when on the pitch.

Man united since the Morgan interview this season: 14 games (10W, 1D, 3L), GD 23-15, 31 points (2nd best in the league) 2,21 points per game
Man United with Ronaldo in the squad this season: 15 games (7W, 4D, 4L), GD 21-22, 25 points (6th) 1,67 points per game.

Man United last season (21/22) after his arrival: 35 games (14W, 9D, 12L), GD 50-55, 51 points (7th) 1,46 point per game
Man United 20/21 season: 38 games (21W, 11D, 6L), GD 73-44, 74 points (2nd), 1,95 points per game.

I’m not saying he’s a bad fit for AL-Nassr, despite me having zero respect for the choice of club and League, but he was a total disaster for us. A 15 months long nightmare for the club.

Is there no other differences with the 20/21 season, like greenwood getting arrested? Rashford being unable to beat a man or shoot straight?

Clearly we've been better this season when he hasn't played, but Iast year we weren't far off where we are this year, it was when his child passed that we really declined, picking up just 4 points of our last 6 games. Last year we had a better goal difference and are only 6 points behind compared to the same time. You seem to just be putting Ronaldo as the only differences, ignoring the fact we've signed the best defensive midfielder in the world, alongside another 180m in signings and a much better manager. Look how much worse we are in games casemiro is injured or suspended for, and tell me that he isn't by far the bigger difference this season than the lack of Ronaldo

I mean whether he knew or not, the point is he gets leeway from the fans for his mistakes as a manager, for what he did as player. Rooney wanted a transfer to City at a time when they weren't just city rivals but title rivals, a transfer which would have been one of the most acrimonious in English football history had it happened. And the vast majority of our fans have forgiven him. Ronaldo said some shit, but other than the stuff about ten hag, most of it was true, the Glazers had let the facilities go to shit, they have run the club badly. So basically it comes down to do you think 3 league titles and a champions league, as well as the only time any of us have ever had a player, playing for us, win the ballon d'or, isn't worth a few negative comments about the manager that he didn't get on with. Not Fergie or another club legend, a manager who took over a few months prior. I totally disagree with what Ronaldo said about ten hag but it's not like he disrespected a club legend
Oh okay so its okay to disrespect as long as they aren't a club legend. Got it.

Oh okay so its okay to disrespect as long as they aren't a club legend. Got it.

No I didn't say its OK, obviously it wasn't and ten hag was right to get rid of him for it. But given what he did before for us, its not even close to enough to make me dislike him. He gave more to our club than the entire rest of the squad we have combined, so did Rooney, so did solskjaer, and it's why those players get an awful lot of leeway for their mistakes

No I didn't say its OK, obviously it wasn't and ten hag was right to get rid of him for it. But given what he did before for us, its not even close to enough to make me dislike him. He gave more to our club than the entire rest of the squad we have combined, so did Rooney, so did solskjaer, and it's why those players get an awful lot of leeway for their mistakes
Yeah, for you he has basically earned a license to disrespect whosoever is in charge and his teammates IF things aren't going his way. He is bigger than the club for you. We understand.

Yeah, for you he has basically earned a license to disrespect whosoever is in charge and his teammates IF things aren't going his way. He is bigger than the club for you. We understand.

Do you have trouble reading? I literally said ten hag was right to get rid of him, that was the punishment for the disrespect, it doesn't wipe out everything else he did for the club. Just like Rooney's transfer request didn't wipe out what he did for the club, or Schmeichel's cartwheel for City (which was massively disrespectful) didn't wipe out what he did for the club. But players who hadn't contributed as much like heinze or tevez, got far less leeway.

We're better off without the Ronaldo of this season, obviously, whether through decline or personal issues or whatever he clearly wasn't working out. But last season he scored 18 goals and we're only 6 points ahead after 29 games with a worse goal difference than last season, given how much we drop off without him, I'd say casemiro is worth about 12 points on his own, as an upgrade over mcfred. The fact we're only 6 points ahead when we've added him, plus an actually good manager, plus other players we've signed and rashford overcoming his issues, suggests downgrading from Ronaldo up front, to martial and weghorst has cost us quite a bit

Interesting cherry picking there. Ronaldo scored 18 goals but a lot of his performances were trash. Also you seem to have neglected to mention all the other factors that give a fuller picture of just how much better we are doing this season than last. We've won a cup and are in the semis and quarters of another two while still doing better in the league than last year which suggests removing the toxic cnut was a net positive.

Do you have trouble reading? I literally said ten hag was right to get rid of him, that was the punishment for the disrespect, it doesn't wipe out everything else he did for the club. Just like Rooney's transfer request didn't wipe out what he did for the club, or Schmeichel's cartwheel for City (which was massively disrespectful) didn't wipe out what he did for the club. But players who hadn't contributed as much like heinze or tevez, got far less leeway.
The examples you keep throwing are nowhere near as to what Ronaldo did but as I said earlier, he is bigger than the club for you and I get that.

Interesting cherry picking there. Ronaldo scored 18 goals but a lot of his performances were trash. Also you seem to have neglected to mention all the other factors that give a fuller picture of just how much better we are doing this season than last. We've won a cup and are in the semis and quarters of another two while still doing better in the league than last year which suggests removing the toxic cnut was a net positive.

Well last season we were in the champions league where Ronaldo scored 6 goals iirc. Again, last season we had a 37 year old playing 3 times a week, Zidane recognised that Ronaldo needed to manage his minutes 6 or 7 years ago when he was playing at Madrid, but because cavani only gave a shit abod Uruguay, greenwood got suspended and Martial was so shit we sent him on loan, we had to run Ronaldo in to the ground.

This year we added 300m worth of players (about 250m in signings plus the value of eriksen on a free). We should be doing a lot better, I'd be seriously questioning ten hag if he spent a quarter of a billion and we weren't doing a lot better

The examples you keep throwing are nowhere near as to what Ronaldo did but as I said earlier, he is bigger than the club for you and I get that.

What the feck are yiu talking about? If I thought he was bigger than the club then I'd have said he should have stayed when he disrespected ten hag. I said he should have gone, but he's still a legend for what he did in his first spell with us

And no, I'd wager joining your city rivals and doing a cartwheel in front of the fans when they beat you in a Derby is more disrespectful than criticising the manager. One is a falling out with the current manager, the other is basically giving a giant middle finger to the entire club. But most fans still hold Schmeichel in high regard for what he did for us

What the feck are yiu talking about? If I thought he was bigger than the club then I'd have said he should have stayed when he disrespected ten hag. I said he should have gone, but he's still a legend for what he did in his first spell with us

And no, I'd wager joining your city rivals and doing a cartwheel in front of the fans when they beat you in a Derby is more disrespectful than criticising the manager. One is a falling out with the current manager, the other is basically giving a giant middle finger to the entire club. But most fans still hold Schmeichel in high regard for what he did for us
:lol: :lol:

Good argument.

So for you it's just a matter of degree? It's OK to be, in your mind, a bit disrespectful, like putting in a transfer request and wanting to move your title rivals, or joining your city rivals and celebrating wildly? It's OK to do that and you can still be forgiven? But criticising a manager that's been at the club for four months is unforgivable and you'll hate the player forever?

Here's a other one, what about roy keane? Basically did the same thing as Ronaldo, gave an interview where he criticised the other players and the club, yet you'd struggle to find people with as much vitriol towards him as towards Ronaldo

Good argument.

So for you it's just a matter of degree? It's OK to be, in your mind, a bit disrespectful, like putting in a transfer request and wanting to move your title rivals, or joining your city rivals and celebrating wildly? It's OK to do that and you can still be forgiven? But criticising a manager that's been at the club for four months is unforgivable and you'll hate the player forever?
"Loyal" Ronaldo in 2021
https://www.espn.com/soccer/cristia...oining-man-city-before-fergusons-intervention

Ronaldo in 2018 after scoring against Utd
Cristiano-Ronaldo-Celebration-1592603.jpg

“They created two chances, set pieces, I know the English teams they are always looking for the set pieces"

Ronaldo "the slave" in 2008 -
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jul/11/manchesterunited.premierleague1

I don't hate Ronaldo, I just don't like and support him anymore. I kind of feel embarrased defending this egoistic "me,me,me" guy all these years thinking the same way you are but the reality is that he just used us to get to his dream club. He is not a legend for me and yes, even if ETH was here for 2 weeks in total I would have had his side. Period.

"Loyal" Ronaldo in 2021
https://www.espn.com/soccer/cristia...oining-man-city-before-fergusons-intervention

Ronaldo in 2018 after scoring against Utd
Cristiano-Ronaldo-Celebration-1592603.jpg

“They created two chances, set pieces, I know the English teams they are always looking for the set pieces"

Ronaldo "the slave" in 2008 -
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jul/11/manchesterunited.premierleague1

I don't hate Ronaldo, I just don't like and support him anymore. I kind of feel embarrased defending this egoistic "me,me,me" guy all these years thinking the same way you are but the reality is that he just used us to get to his dream club. He is not a legend for me and yes, even if ETH was here for 2 weeks in total I would have had his side. Period.

My point is that he contributed so much on the field that the off field stuff doesn't damage it, fergie is still clearly a huge fan of him too.

Like I said, keane did basically the same thing as Ronaldo but he's still a legend for what he contributed. Rooney put in a transfer wanting to go directly from us to city at a time they were title rivals, which is just not done. I mean players join atletico Madrid or Real Madrid having played for the other, but they don't cross the city in one transfer its just not done, its why heinze demanding a transfer to Liverpool and tevez crossing the city directly were such a big deal.

But for me Rooney, keane, Schmeichel and Ronaldo are all still legends for us, even if they damaged their standing somewhat from the off field conduct. It doesn't remove what they did for us as a club. So it's not just Ronaldo I give this benefit of the doubt to, we've sat through a decade of players who talk a good game on Instagram after we've lost 4-0 and give PR drafted apologies, saying it's not acceptable for a club of our standard, I much prefer the players who left it all on the pitch, gave 100% for the club and actually won shit for us, even if they've said stupid things off the pitch

Jesus some posters obsession with Ronaldo never ceases to amaze me :lol: if people can't see how much of a better team we are in the second part of this season without him, and how much he limited our play earlier on in the season and even last season clearly has no clue about football.

Plus people have every right to be pissed at him for the way he treated the club and EtH in his last couple of months, it was ridiculously unprofessional and it's indefensible.

Jesus some posters obsession with Ronaldo never ceases to amaze me :lol: if people can't see how much of a better team we are in the second part of this season without him, and how much he limited our play earlier on in the season and even last season clearly has no clue about football.

Plus people have every right to be pissed at him for the way he treated the club and EtH in his last couple of months, it was ridiculously unprofessional and it's indefensible.

Where was your outrage when Schmeichel was doing cartwheels for City in front of us ffs?? :mad:

edit: You have a point with Casemiro having a huge positive impact when on the pitch.

Incredible how the club's form completely nose dove when he joined and picked up when he left, huh?

Incredible how the club's form completely nose dove when he joined and picked up when he left, huh?
Coincidence apparently. Why don't you look at his 18 goals? 6 goals in UCL? Why dont you ignore the fact that everyone else became dogshit overnight?

Coincidence apparently. Why don't you look at his 18 goals? 6 goals in UCL? Why dont you ignore the fact that everyone else became dogshit overnight?

Its a bit shit of you to disrespect ten hag like this, we're 6 points better off than at the same stage last season, yet you don't think any of his quarter of a billion worth of signings has contributes to this, its only because Ronaldo left, so basically ten hag's signings and tactics have done nothing

Its a bit shit of you to disrespect ten hag like this, we're 6 points better off than at the same stage last season, yet you don't think any of his quarter of a billion worth of signings has contributes to this, its only because Ronaldo left, so basically ten hag's signings and tactics have done nothing
His signings actually compensated a lot for the negative impact Ronaldo had in the early part of the season otherwise we would have been fighting relegation with him up top.

And also imagine being completely blind to see that we finally won a trophy and are in 2 other cup competitions with a threadbare squad. Last season we had 4-5 additional players who could rotate and who all left on a free so we are basically playing same players every 3 days. But just like Ronaldo, his fanboys can't see beyond him.

His signings actually compensated a lot for the negative impact Ronaldo had in the early part of the season otherwise we would have been fighting relegation with him up top.

Yeah, it was actually when casemiro started playing regularly that things changed for us. Also, again I've said he wasn't up to it this season, and I'm taking about Ronaldo last season

And also imagine being completely blind to see that we finally won a trophy and are in 2 other cup competitions with a threadbare squad. Last season we had 4-5 additional players who could rotate and who all left on a free so we are basically playing same players every 3 days. But just like Ronaldo, his fanboys can't see beyond him.

What the feck are you talking about last season cavani refused to play except for Uruguay, martial was away on loan, greenwood was arrested. Ronaldo ended up having to play 90 mins multiple times a week. This season we spent a quarter billion and got eriksen on a free. All of which have played way more than cavani did last year. Who else are we missing this year that we could rotate in from last year?