Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

Thought this was an interesting but sad read especially the last bit where santos said his relationship with Ron was very close up to the point where he tried to phase him out of the team.

That was the end, however, of the relationship between Santos and Ronaldo.

“We haven’t talked since Qatar,” Santos admitted to A Bola in November last year. "I had a very strong relationship with Ronaldo, a personal one, beyond professional.

"We met at Sporting when he was 19 and only strengthened it after that. It was a bit like a father-and-son relationship. But I had to make a decision and, when I came to explain it to him, he didn’t take it very well. Anyway, he knows I’m here."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c51ydnnyew8o

What's the talk in Portugal about Ronaldo? What are the people, pundits and media saying?

Thought this was an interesting but sad read especially the last bit where santos said his relationship with Ron was very close up to the point where he tried to phase him out of the team.

That was the end, however, of the relationship between Santos and Ronaldo.

“We haven’t talked since Qatar,” Santos admitted to A Bola in November last year. "I had a very strong relationship with Ronaldo, a personal one, beyond professional.

"We met at Sporting when he was 19 and only strengthened it after that. It was a bit like a father-and-son relationship. But I had to make a decision and, when I came to explain it to him, he didn’t take it very well. Anyway, he knows I’m here."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c51ydnnyew8o
Not surprised tbh. He's basically cut off Rooney just because he thinks Messi is better. For such a confident player and potential GOAT he isn't half insecure. His obsession with Messi is really weird, people know how insecure he is about it so much so that oppo fans always bring in Messi shirts and chant Messi just to tease him. He gets annoyed, there was a video from the saudi league last season where Al Hilal fans were chanting Messi to him and he resorted to some lewd gesture. I think he got a one match ban for it.

EDIT: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cristiano-ronaldo-gesture-saudi-arabia-32241786

The craziest thing is he had United fans always idolizing him no matter what, he could have shagged their wives and they'd be bringing apples in the morning for him. And yet he burned that bridge too.
Now everyone is his enemy. I don't think he's that adored in Al Nassr as well. The longer he goes on without winning the league there the worse it'd get.
Just retire. He can still make loads from modeling or acting.

I'm genuinely curious as to what "awful" looks like for you. I'm not seeing how an attacking player could possibly be worse.

Passing, shooting, intelligence, making runs, pressing, set pieces, chance creation, dribbling, first touch, etc. In which aspect of any one of these was there a positive contribution of any sort across 120 mins?
I count one defensive header :confused:

When instead of not that involve, he actually touches awfully time and again, I've seen matches from him in such style.

The craziest thing is he had United fans always idolizing him no matter what, he could have shagged their wives and they'd be bringing apples in the morning for him. And yet he burned that bridge too.
Now everyone is his enemy. I don't think he's that adored in Al Nassr as well. The longer he goes on without winning the league there the worse it'd get.
Just retire. He can still make loads from modeling or acting.

Aye, not even Giggs could do that.

What’s the word on his Portugal career?

Somehow I can’t see him being anywhere near the level to play the 2026 World Cup. But I think he’ll want to

Somehow I can’t see him being anywhere near the level to play the 2026 World Cup. But I think he’ll want to
If Martinez is still the manager, he probably will be playing it, because he'll expect to and Martinez won't be able to say no to him.

I’d think surely even with his ego he will know that, in order to go, he’ll have to be a super sub. In reality, I hope he calls it quits, no shame in being too old.

There’s an article I read where someone spent time with him. He said people might think there is Ronaldo outside the football. But it’s not true. His entire life is geared towards performing. It’s a bit sad really.
He will tough life after football. I had meat some ex players trough job, they usually don't know what to do. But I can understand them, lucky ones have good support around them.

these days he plays basically the way he would have played vs France in that final had he remained on the pitch after that clash with Payet. he playes like an injured player that remained on the pitch except we know he isn't injured, he's just old and useless.

shame all those passionate Sporting fans from that thread aren't here anymore. they finally got to see their NT filled with stars, but now those players have to play for Ronaldo's stats.

His mate Keane who licked his arse constantly while stinking up the place at united will get him a job at sky if he wants it.

He's also what 14? So Ronnie at minimum wants to play till he's 18 providing he can be good enough for a first team squad? At which time he'll be 43 :smirk:

He's also what 14? So Ronnie at minimum wants to play till he's 18 providing he can be good enough for a first team squad? At which time he'll be 43 :smirk:
Ronaldo and Ronaldo jr will win the next world cup for Portugal, and if not that one, then the next!
They will do a double SUI and then, and only then, Ronaldo senior could finally rest.

Youse heard it here first.

For all of the incredible things he's done you wonder if he could cast a shadow on Portugal for a very long time. Everything has been about Ronaldo and that doesn't seem like changing anytime soon- maybe even after he retires it could be drama of his children playing/not playing, it could be him as a potential manager, him being very opinionated in the media etc.

Reminds me of the old quote from The Dark Knight - "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Reminds me of the old quote from The Dark Knight - "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
Or you just retire / stop holding on to your seat, gracefully like Sir Alex and many others did. Ronaldo should have walked away from the NT in its best interest instead of chasing personal glory and records.

Or you just retire / stop holding on to your seat, gracefully like Sir Alex and many others did. Ronaldo should have walked away from the NT in its best interest instead of chasing personal glory and records.
Exactly.

One of the reasons Cantona is so loved is because he chose to retire at the top of his game. He bowed out gracefully while still very capable.

Therefore we aren't tainted with bad memories of a 39 year old Eric lumbering around the pitch, stinking the place up while expecting to be the main man.

If the manager insists on playing Ronaldo as a striker, then he needs to put another striker next to him or put Bruno close behind him and feed him the ball.

The current Ronaldo can't play up front alone, crossing the ball into the box hoping he will lose his marker and score a header is not something you can expect from Ronaldo.

He's also remarkably weak for such a big lad and so easy to take the ball off him.
His game was always about getting there before anyone using his pace and out jumping them. Once he lost all that at 30, he is pretty easy to handle. Couple that with his insistance to always shoot, always need to play or else sulk, you got yourself a recipe to play with 10 man every game. Just ask any united fan. Its funny the whole world is just seeing something that they laugh us for.

Well that will probably happen in Saudi so who cares.
They will probably sub the son in a game when he's 16.

Shocking that he played all the time. In the end, it is clear it cost Portugal and he just did not perform. I doubt many would dare to criticize him though

people claiming it’s weird he gets hate must be taking the piss surely

It’s not weird in the slightest

He completely mugged off the club and now he’s making a prize twat of himself on the world stage

Hope he plays the World Cup too it’s hilarious to watch

Not surprised tbh. He's basically cut off Rooney just because he thinks Messi is better. For such a confident player and potential GOAT he isn't half insecure. His obsession with Messi is really weird, people know how insecure he is about it so much so that oppo fans always bring in Messi shirts and chant Messi just to tease him. He gets annoyed, there was a video from the saudi league last season where Al Hilal fans were chanting Messi to him and he resorted to some lewd gesture. I think he got a one match ban for it.

EDIT: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cristiano-ronaldo-gesture-saudi-arabia-32241786
His confidence and arrogance is just for show, everything in his behavior and remarks screams insecurity.

The guy has a massive chip on his shoulder.

Would be pretty cool, if only for one or two matches. Might be doable in a year or two.

I think he could swing it if after Saudi, he does a player/coach role at a small club (maybe Madeira or similar) which would allow him to play for 3-4 more years. He's definitely fit enough to pull it off.