Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

@SirAF usually just cheers for a player he likes and even though he reads lots of negative stufd about him, he never really engages in stupid discussions and leaves people with different opinions in peace. There's no reason to attack him.

I agree about the free kicks btw!

Thanks mate, appreciate it. I usually try to ignore the nonsense, but when you have a bit of spare time during the summer holiday... :lol:

Like I said weeks earlier, following a favorite player, tv show or whatever is a positive action right? What we are witnessing here tonight, and earlier, is an extreme form of hate. Why would all of these people spend so much time and energy on someone/something they dislike. I mean, do something you actually enjoy right?

No, you got it wrong, probably because i worded it poorly. I like Ronaldo and i wasn't gloating. I just wanted to say that it's impossible atm. Atmosphere is too toxic. Moreover kicking someone when he's down is never ever a good look.

I like your style, sorry no problem whatsoever.

Oh Jesus, I'm so sorry. My sincere apologies. Thanks!

Wtf was all that. It would be OTT for a 17 year old playing their first tournament. Love him but he's a fecking weirdo.

He has taken 60 free-kicks now in major tournaments and scored 1, it's a pathetic record and only someone of his arrogance would even accept taking free-kicks with that strike rate. 99% of players would have the humility to give it to someone else.

Yet at the same time he has scored lots of them even if he hasn't the best ratio. I can easily see him thiking that at some point his bad luck must end regarding major tournaments, he's just cursed

Guess when your mum dotes on you and tells you you're better than God for 39 years it's hard when you fail.

Yet at the same time he has scored lots of them even if he hasn't the best ratio. I can easily see him thiking that at some point his bad luck must end regarding major tournaments, he's just cursed
Luck? What part of a 1.7% strike rate is 'bad luck'?

Santos lost his job because they couldn’t get past Morocco without Ronaldo on the pitch. Also that version of Ronaldo was pretty bad and out of touch. Ronaldo hasn’t played badly at all in this tournament and looks better than most strikers. Dont understand why people have to come up with stupid analogies to justify their hate.

He was on the pitch.

Thanks mate, appreciate it. I usually try to ignore the nonsense, but when you have a bit of spare time during the summer holiday... :lol:

Like I said weeks earlier, following a favorite player, tv show or whatever is a positive action right? What we are witnessing here tonight, and earlier, is an extreme form of hate. Why would all of these people spend so much time and energy on someone/something they dislike. I mean, do something you actually enjoy right?

Oh Jesus, I'm so sorry. My sincere apologies. Thanks!

Because of the extreme lack of respect he showed United, while you continue to bump a thread and celebrate goals scored in a nothing league on a forum for the very club he disrespected. Giving it “suck it” after a game in which he roundly embarrassed himself by once again proving that he’s all about him and not about his team, probably doesn’t help matters. He’s the captain and he was crying at half time in extra time, it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before. An entire nation anchored by one man’s giant ego and palpable narcissism.

I worry for him when he retires.
He is already retired, he just refuses to admit it, but yeah - it's hard to imagine him being able to relax and just chill

They're going out vs France, because Ronaldo keeps thinking he's 29 and not 39.

And no one has the balls to tell him otherwise.

I don't get that. @SirAF usually just cheers for a player he likes and even though he reads lots of negative stufd about him, he never really engages in stupid discussions and leaves people with different opinions in peace. There's no reason to attack him.
I have nothing against him but this isn't true. Back in ten Hag's first transfer window, I was very critical of the Antony and Casemiro signings and got a lot of stick for it. Well, he was one of many who were very rude to me for a differing opinion despite the fact that I had never said a bad word about him, and still haven't.

I'm not saying everyone should pile up on him because it's never nice to see, but he's not above doing it to others either.

I don’t understand how a player who has always been praised for his supposed great mentality and such can start crying before the next 30 minutes. Being the captain and the second most veteran player on the team. Truly incredible.

Totally understandable at the end of the match, but when you still have all of extra time left? What kind of crap is that?

Bad game. Not so much the penalty, it's not an awesome penalty it's got weight to it, some direction, but a bit conservative. Oblak save was amazing. There's 2 times where I thought he should've done better in front of the keeper, though. It's another game where he was better in link up play than finishing.

I like him so much. I don't idolatrize him, I know his qualities, but understand he has defects and which ones he has. I don't have problems admitting when he has not done well.

But my god, he'll be facing fear straight in the face until the day he dies. For the first time in 20 years, I thought fear was gonna consume him after he was gutted with the penalty, I thought, this is the time he can't handle the fear and he'll ask to not be on the penalty decision list.

But no, he didn't run away, asked to be first to kick the penalty. He said it like it is in the post match interview: "I can score the goals, I can miss them, but there's something you'll never see me doing in life: give up".

Gotta appreciate that.

I don’t understand how a player who has always been praised for his supposed great mentality and such can start crying before the next 30 minutes. Being the captain and the second most veteran player on the team. Truly incredible.

Totally understandable at the end of the match, but when you still have all of extra time left? What kind of crap is that?

He is a mewling quim of the highest order. Zero leadership skills. The only person he is interested in is himself. He shouldn’t even be on the field. He’s so past it that it’s painful watching him run around acting like he’s still in his prime. As an impact sub, his experience and instinct could still be very useful to Portugal but his ego is too big to accept such a role. His continued presence leading the line for the NT is holding his country back.

Were there any posts in this thread about the Portugal game that WEREN'T about Ronaldo? What will you talk about after he retires?

Another poster called it earlier, he’s such a huge personality that his moods affect everyone else in his orbit. Just as with his final months here, the players desperately want to lift that storm cloud around them, and this leads to them focusing more on making Ronaldo happy (by getting him a goal), rather than anything else.
I’m sure subconsciously they understand that Ronaldo is going to play regardless and it’s therefore in their best interest to make him, and thus, the camp, happy.

It's strange though, them beating Swiss 6-1 in the World cup felt like one of those release performances. Pretty much like when an unpopular manager gets sacked and then underperforming team then comes out and wins the next game 3 or 4 nil with free flowing football.

I know they messed up the next round v Morocco but same could've easily happened tonight.

It would be like England still having Kane out there when he's 38/39 which would be completely ridiculous.

Were there any posts in this thread about the Portugal game that WEREN'T about Ronaldo? What will you talk about after he retires?

Probably about how Portugal have comfortably seen off minnows like Slovenia after a solid professional team performance

It would be like England still having Kane out there when he's 38/39 which would be completely ridiculous.
It won't be anything like as bad but i can see it being a debate in a few years time with Kane, maybe not at 38/39.

Have said it before I think people would have no problem with Ronaldo being a sub for Portugal against tired teams but i don't think his ego could take that. Certainly didn't take it well at the last world cup.

Luck? What part of a 1.7% strike rate is 'bad luck'?

The one that he has scored quite a lot in other matches, at some point even if you don't have the best ratio in other type of matches, you expect to at least score more if you do it in other scenarios...so I kind of undesrtand why he kind of gets obssessed with it. I'm not implying it's great for the team such a bad streak, but it's odd as fvck.

To Quote Paddy Power.

It’s almost as if bashing in 50 goals a season against management consultants in the Saudi league isn’t ideal preparation for an international tournament

Yes. I get that people dislike him for how he conducted himself in his second stint at United but if you're feeling that toxic about somebody because he treated your club poorly or because you think another certain someone is better, it is a clear sign that you're too emotionally invested. In general, I think football fans have become so negative in the internet age. Everybody is always shit, a fraud, a prick, whatever. I wonder what people get from spending so much time on something they find that negative. Football is so much more enjoyable when you focus on the positive sides.

I’m probably more vocal about my dislike of him than most but I did actually feel sorry for him when he missed that penalty. And I’m pleased Portugal are through (for Bruno and Dalot) They definitely won’t win the tournament if Ronaldo remains undroppable though. He just can’t cut it at this level anymore.

He is a mewling quim of the highest order. Zero leadership skills. The only person he is interested in is himself. He shouldn’t even be on the field. He’s so past it that it’s painful watching him run around acting like he’s still in his prime. As an impact sub, his experience and instinct could still be very useful to Portugal but his ego is too big to accept such a role. His continued presence leading the line for the NT is holding his country back.
It's like clockwork when it comes down to reading how much Ronaldo only cares for himself. Today i saw a player who didn't take the shot at every oppportunity. I think it was before half time when he played a good pass to Leao which forced Oblak into making a good save against Palinha. I for one wouldn't held the tears against him as a negative concerning leadership. What happened today only made him human. In my opinion even as a leader you don't have to remain stoic all the time.

Overall, of course he's by far not as good as he used to. However i'd like to point out that the whole team doesn't play that well. As you said it's because of his overwhelming presence. Still, i remember the last tournament where he was benched and in the second game the team looked at least as poor, probably even further because later on he did come on.

For me, despite all the talent the team still looks dysfunctional. I'd question the coach, why isn't he able to establish a rhythm passing, better positioning and so on.

It's one of the biggest football mysteries to me. There are very few players with as many or more freekick goals than Cristiano but the overwhelming majority has to come from 6 or 7 seasons or so. His conversion rate must have been extraordinary between 2008 and 2014. He literally turned from one of the best ever freekick takers to possibly one of the worst ones who took them that regularly. Wouldn't be surprised if he was actually the player with the most missed direct freekick attempts since he has basically been shooting all freekicks for his teams even from unfavorable positions for 17 consecutive seasons at least.

That's literally a Space Jam story line, as if somebody stole his mojo. It probably had to do with changes in ball materials or something like that which were unfavorable for the knuckle ball technique. Calhanoglu's quota for instance also nosedived after he seemed to be a legit heir to Juninho in the early stages of his career, now that I think about it. But it is still unreal.

Honestly I'll miss him even though I've hated on him a lot. None of the new generation of players cause this type of fallout when something bad happens to them or have any fierce rivalry with another player.

I'm happy he's continuing in the Euros. More CR7 dramatic moments coming our way .

I have nothing against him but this isn't true. Back in ten Hag's first transfer window, I was very critical of the Antony and Casemiro signings and got a lot of stick for it. Well, he was one of many who were very rude to me for a differing opinion despite the fact that I had never said a bad word about him, and still haven't.

I'm not saying everyone should pile up on him because it's never nice to see, but he's not above doing it to others either.

Haven't really been following these threads so I can't tell. But I've been following the Messi and Ronaldo threads closely and he never really reacted to any of the provocations when he posted tweets or goals. And there were a lot of them. I find that pretty remarkable since I know how it irks in your fingertips when people write shit about institutions you like, be it players, clubs, leagues, coaches, whatever, even if I don't really agree with his take on Ronaldo and don't care about the Saudi League. But the same way I see nothing wrong with people cheering for Messi having a good time in Miami in the twilight years of his career, I don't see what's wrong with cheering for Cristiano as a fan of his.

I for one wouldn't held the tears against him as a negative concerning leadership.

This is the big contradiction that I see . Ronaldo is a winner , no doubt about it , being a winner does not automatically qualify a person as a leader .

That's the connection that is made so often .... He's a winner , so therefore he's a leader .

Pepe is a leader , Ramos is a leader , Ronaldo is a diva . All 3 are winners , but imo , you can't be a leader of men if your first thought is for yourself .

I can't remember that, I think it's pretty peculiar you'd remember that as I'm fairly certain there was not much interaction between us? If I was rude to you about Antony or Casemiro I'm sorry!

I vaguely remember us disagreeing about Mourinho, but that was all out war so all is fair! ;)

There's more calls for the person that typed the Misstiano Ronaldo in to be sacked than there was for the prison guard! :lol:

It's one of the biggest football mysteries to me. There are very few players with as many or more freekick goals than Cristiano but the overwhelming majority has to come from 6 or 7 seasons or so. His conversion rate must have been extraordinary between 2008 and 2014. He literally turned from one of the best ever freekick takers to possibly one of the worst ones who took them that regularly. Wouldn't be surprised if he was actually the player with the most missed direct freekick attempts since he has basically been shooting all freekicks for his teams even from unfavorable positions for 17 consecutive seasons at least.

That's literally a Space Jam story line, as if somebody stole his mojo. It probably had to do with changes in ball materials or something like that which were unfavorable for the knuckle ball technique. Calhanoglu's quota for instance also nosedived after he seemed to be a legit heir to Juninho in the early stages of his career, now that I think about it. But it is still unreal.

Exactly that it's what I've meant.

Of course everyone is entitled to think that he should be aware of this awuful ratio and be more generous, I get it, but being CR, having his drive and determination and thinking that he doesn't think that he must regain his mojo back, it's silly too.While it's in many ways understandable, today BTW he looked powerful in his shots.
The critic I would have made to him, it's not have a mate or former player taking him apart and help him to try other styles when comes to shooting, in the way he is build and trains, he could have easily have a larger repertoir in style in free kicks that I'm convinced that would have help him to score again more frequently.

Haven't really been following these threads so I can't tell. But I've been following the Messi and Ronaldo threads closely and he never really reacted to any of the provocations when he posted tweets or goals. And there were a lot of them. I find that pretty remarkable since I know how it irks in your fingertips when people write shit about institutions you like, be it players, clubs, leagues, coaches, whatever, even if I don't really agree with his take on Ronaldo and don't care about the Saudi League. But the same way I see nothing wrong with people cheering for Messi having a good time in Miami in the twilight years of his career, I don't see what's wrong with cheering for Cristiano as a fan of his.
I'm pretty neutral on this. Like, I don't really care what he does now but I still recognise that, in his prime, he's the best player I've ever seen play for us live, so I will always appreciate what he did here.

I get both sides. I completely understand those that can't stand him because of the way he disrespected the club (on top of hating how he left us in his prime for Madrid initially, and his big ego rubbing many the wrong way). I also understand those that still like him because he was one of the best players to ever play for us. For many like, again, myself, the best player we saw live here as we were too young to see the likes of Best, Law and Charlton.
I can't remember that, I think it's pretty peculiar you'd remember that as I'm fairly certain there was not much interaction between us? If I was rude to you about Antony or Casemiro I'm sorry!

I vaguely remember us disagreeing about Mourinho, but that was all out war so all is fair! ;)
No worries, man! The fact that I remembered it is because I was surprised at the time as we were always friendly despite the Mourinho years. :lol: I never stopped loving you as a poster, though!