Coronavirus in football

La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A = 95% double vaxxed.

Premier League = 68%.

Must be something in the water. Fecking idiots.

The least the PL can do is name the players who aren't vaccinated. We can shame them from our end.

Why are we thinking the vaccines stop people testing positive?

They stop people potentially getting hospitalized but all the evidence is showing they don't stop positive tests?

They stop people potentially getting hospitalized but all the evidence is showing they don't stop positive tests?
This. Vaccination doesnt prevent you from getting COVID, its just a way to be sure that you will not get more serious consequences from it.

This. Vaccination doesnt prevent you from getting COVID, its just a way to be sure that you will not get more serious consequences from it.

It does, but it's unfortunately too low to be enough. The estimate was around 35% of transmission protection for the delta variant (it was higher for alpha).

It's still meaningful at the scale of an entire population though because it slows down the curve more than one can imagine.

How are those posts saying that? Why are we thinking that’s the argument here? Say Man United get 2 positive tests, then all the unvaccinated players have to isolate for 10 days as they are contacts of a positive tests, meaning games get called off. If all the players were vaccinated there would be a lot less games being postponed.

Also, pre-Omicron there was evidence that it absolutely did stop people testing positive. There is evidence that the boosters stop COVID symptoms even for Omicron which would stop the spread. Some clown PL footballer who refused the jab initially is now months away from getting a booster.

Blaming the unvaxxed players for this outbreak is idiotic and ignorant at best.

Just having covid for the second time after having been double jabbed and passed it on to my gf. It's the same everywhere as one guy here quoted one of the unis with an outbreak where 97% people are vaccinated.

Can we stop spreading that utter tripe?

The problem is that authorities jump from one extreme into another instead of keeping reasonable level of restrictions all the time and checking negative tests, not vaccine certificates.

Blaming the unvaxxed players for this outbreak is idiotic and ignorant at best.

Just having covid for the second time after having been double jabbed and passed it on to my gf. It's the same everywhere as one guy here quoted one of the unis with an outbreak where 97% people are vaccinated.

Can we stop spreading that utter tripe?

The problem is that authorities jump from one extreme into another instead of keeping reasonable level of restrictions all the time and checking negative tests, not vaccine certificates.
Big difference - anyone who came into contact with you who is vaccinated doesn’t need to isolate if they’re negative. Any PL footballer who isn’t vaccinated and was in training with a player who tested positive needs to isolate, meaning PL clubs have all their unvaccinated players in isolation whether they’re testing positive for COVID or not, meaning games get called off.

Perhaps all of the United squad and staff are fully vaccinated? Has there been any evidence/reports to suggest otherwise?

Perhaps all of the United squad and staff are fully vaccinated? Has there been any evidence/reports to suggest otherwise?

It's highly unlikely given that only 63% of PL players are fully vaccinated pre Omicron

Big difference - anyone who came into contact with you who is vaccinated doesn’t need to isolate if they’re negative. Any PL footballer who isn’t vaccinated and was in training with a player who tested positive needs to isolate, meaning PL clubs have all their unvaccinated players in isolation whether they’re testing positive for COVID or not, meaning games get called off.
Which is all about the regulations, not 'putting other lives at risk' and 'causing the outbreak of Covid'

It's highly unlikely given that only 63% of PL players are fully vaccinated pre Omicron

that’s a worryingly low percentage. Quite surprising given that individual health would be of primary importance to most if not all of them

that’s a worryingly low percentage. Quite surprising given that individual health would be of primary importance to most if not all of them

EL isn't much better if I recall the figures in news earlier.

59% only Double Vaccinated.

Which is all about the regulations, not 'putting other lives at risk'.
Evidence suggests that the booster vaccination protects well against symptomatic Omicron COVID, which is the best defence against stopping the spread of the variant. PL footballer who isn’t vaccinated is months away from getting a booster vaccination.

Plus, the whole point of calling games of and making players isolate is in case one of them gets seriously ill, which even after 2 jabs gives you a better chance of not against this variant. As it spreads like wildfire, the chances of someone getting seriously ill is higher now.

Any cases where a PL footballer would get seriously ill and need hospital would be if they were unvaccinated, given they are pretty fit and healthy people anyway and 2 jabs offers protection against servere illness, and 3 better protection than 2. Therefore, them taking up medical resources ahead of vulnerable people could be argued as putting others lives at risk. I’m sure all these even unvaccinated players would be fine, but for the sake of a 2 second jab in the arm it would avoid that occurrence, which as I say is much likely now given the crazy rate of transmission of this new variant.

Big difference - anyone who came into contact with you who is vaccinated doesn’t need to isolate if they’re negative.
Which is stupid because they can still spread it if they become positive post incubation

@henrywinter: Many reasons behind football's current Covid outbreak. Vax issues in some dressing-rooms, general Omicron spike etc. One club also believes timing of outbreak is related to players’ Christmas parties. Not as prevalent or wild as in the past but some still taking place.

EL isn't much better if I recall the figures in news earlier.

59% only Double Vaccinated.
That’s crazy. Looks like match postponements will continue well into next year given the higher likelihood of more outbreaks amongst unvaccinated staff and players.

The other problem is that it changes constantly, and a lot of people starting with antivaxxers fail to understand that. I'm not saying authorities do everything right, they obviously don't especially in england where they had a very binary approach but the transmission protection was high with the alpha variant so it was fine not to check PCR for vaccinated people at that very time. The problem is, it dropped to 35-45% with the delta variant and that's when the approach should have changed, they should have forced PCR tests even for vaccinated people but you already heard absurdities such as "what should we get vaccinated if we have the same restrictions?? This vaccine doesn't work because a vaccine is suppsed to prevent transmission!" (which is a total non sense).

Only evidence is it's United. We barely done anything right in 10 years. I doubt we will be with the times on this issue considering we have barely entered the 21st Century on other aspects of the club.

Ronaldo isn’t. He had to quarantine when he signed for us when vaccinated people didn’t.

The other problem is that it changes constantly, and a lot of people starting with antivaxxers fail to understand that. I'm not saying authorities do everything right, they obviously don't especially in england where they had a very binary approach but the transmission protection was high with the alpha variant so it was fine not to check PCR for vaccinated people at that very time. The problem is, it dropped to 35-45% with the delta variant and that's when the approach should have changed, they should have forced PCR tests even for vaccinated people but you already heard absurdities such as "what should we get vaccinated if we have the same restrictions?? This vaccine doesn't work because a vaccine is suppsed to prevent transmission!" (which is a total non sense).
When the vaccines were first introduced they were said to bring life back to normal by stopping covid spread making people immune.

At least that's the official line used in my country and from what I remember a general consensus.

Then when it came out it's rubbish, the uthorities changed the tune to 'they may not stop covid but make it milder'. And so it went on.

They even spouted some bollocks like you don't transmit it if you're jabbed or that the receiver will have it milder than getting from an unvaxxed.

I can honestly see the frustration from people getting confusing data every two months.

You have to suspend the league for 2 weeks for sure now. No point letting some teams have advantage playing against some covid hit sides.

When the vaccines were first introduced they were said to bring life back to normal by stopping covid spread making people immune.

At least that's the official line used in my country and from what I remember a general consensus.

Then when it came out it's rubbish, the uthorities changed the tune to 'they may not stop covid but make it milder'. And so it went on.

They even spouted some bollocks like you don't transmit it if you're jabbed or that the receiver will have it milder than getting from an unvaxxed.

I can honestly see the frustration from people getting confusing data every two months.

But that's the point of a pandemic... No one truly knows what is going to happen when mutations and variations occur.

All they can do is create a vaccine that limits as many serious illnesses and deaths as possible.

The rest is pot luck based on how the mutation adapts.

It’s an absolute farce that they are carrying on at this point. Having teams with 3/4 games in hand completely interferes with the integrity of the league.

Your 2nd sentence kinda explains your first…

They’re trying to keep the backlog of matches down.
Working well isn’t it. I get the idea but it’s completely distorting the table and it will change the outcomes of games in the future. It’s not fair.

It's probably no coincidence that the teams known for having a high vaccination take up (Leeds, Liverpool, Wolves) games are still on.

There's a simple guideline that clueless people like you and me can follow. Get the vaccines/boosters when the government tells you to. I don't know the details beyond when I'm eligible for each stage, but that's all the detail I need.

Guy on BBC saying the PL missed a massive opportunity to suspend the league until Boxing Day, allowing for all isolation to be over and protocol to be tightened. It’s true. At this point they risk getting the whole league cancelled with the crazy backlog of fixtures just allowing it to go on with postponements, as over the next few weeks it’s only going to get worse for positive cases.

Not really, vaccines apparently don’t decrease the number of cases.

Apologies if that’s wrong, but shouldn’t really make a difference in that situation.
It's stops the number of people forced to isolate as a close contact though

That's the problem though, it WAS true at the time, they had solid data that suggested being vaccinated decreased a lot your chances of getting infected or transmitting it if you were infected. It was true until the delta variant showed up and decreased this protection from 70+% to 35-45% (and probably less with omicron).

Also, as far as i've read in several countries, autorities didn't change their tune to "it makes it milder" since it always was the main effect of the vaccine, since the very first reports from Pfizer, it was the intended effect, the transmission protection was just a bonus that the autorities might have used for too long when it wasn't really true anymore (after delta). The fact that the symptoms are milder for vaccinated people is a VERY clearly and consistantly established effect, even with delta or omicron, there's tons of available data about that and it's pretty much identical everywhere in the world.

We see very clearly here that the authorities probably failed to inform you properlty, but you also failed to understand how it worked and when because this was all publicly accessible data and information.

Also, you can't having both way, you can't be "frustrated from getting confusing data every two months" and require accurate info from the authorities. Because it does change every 2 months or so, and if authorities want to be accurate, they will have to shift the lines every 2 months, that's just the way it is.

[Edit] : I've just read you posting history, it does seem that you are not even trying to understand, my bad.

Last edited: