Coronavirus in football

Why are we thinking the vaccines stop people testing positive?

They stop people potentially getting hospitalized but all the evidence is showing they don't stop positive tests?
Are people at any stage of this going to understand that it's not a binary thing?

How is it they're able to postpone just two hours before the game ffs? I would like to know how many positive cases some of these teams have, honestly feels like some of them are using it as an excuse.

How is it they're able to postpone just two hours before the game ffs? I would like to know how many positive cases some of these teams have, honestly feels like some of them are using it as an excuse.
If a team that had just been training together had a chunk test positive, then you can't be sure that the others aren't positive yet. You have to control the outbreak first.

The only games that seem to be going ahead are with teams that have really good vaccination rates. Surprise surprise. Even they aren't unaffected, but it's not a huge outbreak, moreover isolated cases in those clubs. Hopefully Rangnick beats some sense into our players, being one of the worst in the league for vaccinations is embarrassing.

How many players do we have confirmed in United squad? I was wondering myself if we're making more of it just because it suits us not to play games now?

Why are we thinking the vaccines stop people testing positive?

They stop people potentially getting hospitalized but all the evidence is showing they don't stop positive tests?
They still reduce the chance of getting covid. Omicron spreads a lot quicker and it's easier to pick it up, but it's still less likely if you are vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Just that "less" degree isn't that big anymore I guess?

How many players do we have confirmed in United squad? I was wondering myself if we're making more of it just because it suits us not to play games now?
Think I read we only had 8 or 9 players available.

Premier league had a rule where a team needs to have 14 first team players fit and ready. So more of these clubs have outbreaks of over 10 players.

I wonder why professional football is so riddled with it whilst other sports in the UK like rugby, racing and darts are going along fine.

They should bring back 5 a side masters football and for any games postponed due to an outbreak. The two teams need to nominate 10 retired and 10 present footballers were half will get drawn into a squad for the 5 a side game. With rolling substitutes in use.

Premier league had a rule where a team needs to have 14 first team players fit and ready. So more of these clubs have outbreaks of over 10 players.
I see, probably more to do with isolation than actual Covid? I suppose once there's a positive case you need to isolate yourself for the next 5 days, so unless we really have a lot of players affected then Newcastle game should take place I imagine.
But again, it wouldn't surprise me if we wanted to use that situation to postpone a few games.

How are those posts saying that? Why are we thinking that’s the argument here? Say Man United get 2 positive tests, then all the unvaccinated players have to isolate for 10 days as they are contacts of a positive tests, meaning games get called off. If all the players were vaccinated there would be a lot less games being postponed.

Also, pre-Omicron there was evidence that it absolutely did stop people testing positive. There is evidence that the boosters stop COVID symptoms even for Omicron which would stop the spread. Some clown PL footballer who refused the jab initially is now months away from getting a booster.
For some reason I Completely forgot about that. Explains why teams don’t have the required amount of available players now.

For some reason I Completely forgot about that. Explains why teams don’t have the required amount of available players now.
Yeah this makes sense which just makes it all the maddening really.

I was surprised to see the difference in vaccination rates between the PL and other leagues in Europe. Especially when you look at the rates in the countries themselves. The UK has similar rates to most other European countries, yet there's this big gap when it comes to footballers. Wonder why that is?

From what I’m hearing at the pubs here, looks like you guys are about to head into a “circuit break” (whatever the hell that means) for two weeks after xmas. So either the PL continues with no fans, or takes a short break. I can see the latter being more likely but who knows which one they roll with.

That's the problem though, it WAS true at the time, they had solid data that suggested being vaccinated decreased a lot your chances of getting infected or transmitting it if you were infected. It was true until the delta variant showed up and decreased this protection from 70+% to 35-45% (and probably less with omicron).

Also, as far as i've read in several countries, autorities didn't change their tune to "it makes it milder" since it always was the main effect of the vaccine, since the very first reports from Pfizer, it was the intended effect, the transmission protection was just a bonus that the autorities might have used for too long when it wasn't really true anymore (after delta). The fact that the symptoms are milder for vaccinated people is a VERY clearly and consistantly established effect, even with delta or omicron, there's tons of available data about that and it's pretty much identical everywhere in the world.

We see very clearly here that the authorities probably failed to inform you properlty, but you also failed to understand how it worked and when because this was all publicly accessible data and information.

Also, you can't having both way, you can't be "frustrated from getting confusing data every two months" and require accurate info from the authorities. Because it does change every 2 months or so, and if authorities want to be accurate, they will have to shift the lines every 2 months, that's just the way it is.

[Edit] : I've just read you posting history, it does seem that you are not even trying to understand, my bad.
No worries mate. I read the whole block of text if it makes you feel better.

I wonder why professional football is so riddled with it whilst other sports in the UK like rugby, racing and darts are going along fine.

Rugby would be a good comparison, and I'll assume you've looked into whether games have been called off, as I haven't got a clue.

But darts for instance isn't a good comparison. That's a solo sport with 2 blokes stood at a distance from each other. The competitors aren't in close knit contact with 30 other blokes all week, in a sport where you're getting right up and personal.

Indeed, surely if they have positive cases they should know well in advance, on the morning of the game at the latest?

What would have changed two hours before kick off?

It does, but it's unfortunately too low to be enough. The estimate was around 35% of transmission protection for the delta variant (it was higher for alpha).

It's still meaningful at the scale of an entire population though because it slows down the curve more than one can imagine.
The main problem is that until now there is no cure for COVID or official medicine that cures effectively the virus. That makes vaccination a bit useless but on the other hand necessary.

I'm totally with Klopp here. Why don't they just publish for every club who got and who needed to quarantine because they had close contact and aren't vaccinated.

First it's better transparency for everybody, secondly it would put some more pressure on unvaccinated players to finally get the jabs.
I don't see any benefits of making a big secrecy out of it. This will only spread conspiracy theories.

The cases of Choupo Mouting and Kimmich at Bayern should be a stem warning to all players who believe they aren't at risk because they are young and athletes.

Indeed, surely if they have positive cases they should know well in advance, on the morning of the game at the latest?

What would have changed two hours before kick off?
I think some of the blame has go to the Premier League. It's possible they were informed earlier this morning or before, but they were just waiting on the PL to give the go ahead. We all saw how long it took the United game in midweek to get called off. There'd been reports all throughout the day and earlier in the week about the covid outbreak, yet somehow there wasn't an official announcement until midnight the day before the game.

I'm totally with Klopp here. Why don't they just publish for every club who got and who needed to quarantine because they had close contact and aren't vaccinated.

First it's better transparency for everybody, secondly it would put some more pressure on unvaccinated players to finally get the jabs.
I don't see any benefits of making a big secrecy out of it. This will only spread conspiracy theories.

The cases of Choupo Mouting and Kimmich at Bayern should be a stem warning to all players who believe they aren't at risk because they are young and athletes.
Pretty sure players medical data isn’t something you can just publish. What if one player has a condition they are embarrassed about that means they couldn’t get the vaccine even though they wish they could?

Could they not just change the rule that says non-vaxxed players have to isolate for 10 days? I understood it when the vaccine prevented you getting it. But it seems with omnicron it doesn’t matter either way whether you’re vaccinated or not, you’re still likely to get it. Right now football is being decimated not because clubs suddenly have huge outbreaks. But because they have a lot of unvaccinated players who have to sit it out whether they’re negative or not.

Rugby would be a good comparison, and I'll assume you've looked into whether games have been called off, as I haven't got a clue.

But darts for instance isn't a good comparison. That's a solo sport with 2 blokes stood at a distance from each other. The competitors aren't in close knit contact with 30 other blokes all week, in a sport where you're getting right up and personal.

Think the majority of Rugby games called off this weekend are down to French travel restrictions

From what I’m hearing at the pubs here, looks like you guys are about to head into a “circuit break” (whatever the hell that means) for two weeks after xmas. So either the PL continues with no fans, or takes a short break. I can see the latter being more likely but who knows which one they roll with.
It'll just continue with no fans. Money talks.

I think it's a virtual certainty that it'll be closed stadiums pretty soon, and a real possibility that they'll suspend the season at some point during the coming weeks. If current knowledge on Omicron is roughly correct, it's way more contagious than Delta, and also vaccines won't impede the rate of infections much. That would pretty much blow apart the bubble approach, and all but guarantee a steady stream of cases and quarantinees in the squads.

Worst case, there's no cross-immunity so that in effect you get two parallel epidemics (ie, if having had Omicron don't give you immunity against Delta and vice versa). But let's hope it doesn't come to that.

That rule will be changed soon I think, just as it recently has in Scotland.
Personally think it's idiotic myself but if every player in the league was vaccinated it would only be the ones who actually tested positive who would be unavailable

I don't see why Villa would look to postpone the match unless they had to.

Very, very low odds bet it's Fabian Delph.

He posts and likes COVID conspiracy stuff frequently, often combined with 'plant based diets can cure covid/cancer' nonsense. His wife does the same.

Ah Delph.
Who can forget him doing a big story with Villa about how he was captain and loved the club and was going nowhere.

Then literally a day or 2 later signed for City.

How many actual positive COVID cases and how many are out due to being unvaccinated, that’s what I’m curious about? Also find it interesting that Liverpool is almost entirely vaccinated. Is that due to leadership or a complete fluke that all of there player thought it was sensible to get it?